Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Undeclared final war

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
chimera View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote chimera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Undeclared final war
    Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 22:35
If the US refuses to sign Kyoto greenhouse gas treaty, and is the largest producer of global warming pollutants;
and if the eventual effect is irreversible global damage;
 and if that causes industrial, economic and population loss;
and if other countries also act the same way;
then is that an undeclared war of greater size than others?
chimera
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 19:19
Depends on the impact of the polluted environment. Unless the US corrupts planet Earth enough so that other nations are in crisis and enough suffering for the people, then yes. They will not have to bother delcaring war, since America (Having the best intelligence in the world) would already know that they are under the threat. But US would most likely prevent this build-up. After all, US needs to survive as well. They are not that ignorant.

Join us.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 01:50
You guys will realize how useless the Kyoto Protocol is, when China starts producing more greenhouse gas then the US.

China of course is a signer of the Kyoto Protocol, but falls under the "developing nation" category and as such doesn't have to follow the guidelines listed. This is the reason that the US didn't sign the treaty, since it would cripple our economy against that of China's and other nations that wouldn't have to cut down on emissions.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 02:02
Originally posted by JanusRook

You guys will realize how useless the Kyoto Protocol is, when China starts producing more greenhouse gas then the US.

China of course is a signer of the Kyoto Protocol, but falls under the "developing nation" category and as such doesn't have to follow the guidelines listed. This is the reason that the US didn't sign the treaty, since it would cripple our economy against that of China's and other nations that wouldn't have to cut down on emissions.

That is true. Isn't China going to build one coal fired power plant a week for the next 10 years or something?
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 11:08
I think I heard that, but they didn't say they were but would have to if they wanted to keep up with the energy demands.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 11:58
The kyoto protocol was just a gesture made by the big world players in a huge burst of diplomacy, nobody can enforce it, and only Denmark I believe out of all the signatories is on target to meet their promises. Ireland is a disgrace.
The Nuclear question must be raised again I believe, because it is unfeasible to expect the abstract blob that is society to stop driving cars and flying around the world in planes, much more feasible and realistic for the energy we all use to be created in alternative and efficient ways.
Denis View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Denis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 12:08
Originally posted by Dolphin

The kyoto protocol was just a gesture made by the big world players in a huge burst of diplomacy, nobody can enforce it, and only Denmark I believe out of all the signatories is on target to meet their promises. Ireland is a disgrace.
The Nuclear question must be raised again I believe, because it is unfeasible to expect the abstract blob that is society to stop driving cars and flying around the world in planes, much more feasible and realistic for the energy we all use to be created in alternative and efficient ways.

Nuclear energy is not the answer. Personally I think the chances of a terrorist attack on a Nuclear facility is reason enough for us to refuse the use of nuclear energy, but here's an article that can phrase it in a more domineering light.

"Death belongs to God alone. By what right do men touch that unknown thing"

Victor Hugo
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 12:11
Are we talking of realism or idealism here? We could all don shawls and run round the forest hunting to eat, or we can realistically think about our energy centred society's future.
Plus, why should we let the terrorists decide the way we live our lives? Is that not what they want?
Denis View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Denis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 12:15
I'm not talking about terrorists deciding how we live our lives. But the reality is that one single terrorist attack on a Nuclear plant in a place such as Sellafield could cause an ecological disaster which would put the World Trade Center attacks (Whatever you believe the motive is there) into perspective. You talk to me about idealism and realism; Its clear that you are being idealistic in refusing to let terrorists deter you from building nuclear plants, when the consequences of nuclear facilities could be devastating both ecologically and for the human race.

Victor Hugo
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 12:24

Well, deal with terrorism as a seperate issue, the energy crisis needs to be addressed, and neither biofuel or solar panels or wind turbines will be enough to replace fossil fuels as our primary source of energy. Simple fact is that the question of nuclear power is already simmering under the surface and will be raised seriously in the near future.

P.S:  Numerous nuclear plants already exist, including Sellafield, so if the danger is already there, how can you use the threat of attack as a valid reason to discount further, more safe and secure nuclear plants? 

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 12:31

Well, deal with terrorism as a seperate issue, the energy crisis needs to be addressed, and neither biofuel or solar panels or wind turbines will be enough to replace fossil fuels as our primary source of energy. Simple fact is that the question of nuclear power is already simmering under the surface and will be raised seriously in the near future.

P.S:  Numerous nuclear plants already exist, including Sellafield, so if the danger is already there, how can you use the threat of attack as a valid reason to discount further, more safe and secure nuclear plants? 

Sure if you can't beat them join them, really admirable!
Denis View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Denis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 12:34
Biofuel will be the most likely fuel source to meet our energy needs. Its been touted that as the USA agricultural sector declines that biofuel will take the place that fields of corn once took.

And on another matter the current situation is a ticking timebomb. Not only are more nuclear power plants economically unfeasible but there is the increased risk of Nuclear waste. The disadvantages far outweigh the benefits of Nuclear power. I want to see full de-atomisation in the UK and further abroad.

Victor Hugo
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 12:44

It is a known fact that if every inch of today's agricultural land was tranferred to biofuel, it still would not be enough to cover our energy needs.

It's a complete fallacy to expect people to stop living their lives the way they are accustomed to, with huge taxation and penalties being the most realistic way of changing peoples behaviour. Mark my words, the question of nuclear energy will rear its albeit ugly head as the most feasible solution to our energy problems.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 00:00
I'd love to get a cave and live a simple life, but few problems remain.

- There are no electric plug-in
- They are all monoploized by the archeologists
- They make my food go cold
- Cavemen are raising rents
- Bats constantly badger for their rights

And the list goes on. It's unrealistic. Kyoto Protocal is a good thing that we should try to enforce as much as possible, but I feel that we are just procrastinating...

Join us.
Denis View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Denis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 06:58

It is a known fact that if every inch of today's agricultural land was tranferred to biofuel, it still would not be enough to cover our energy needs.

It's a complete fallacy to expect people to stop living their lives the way they are accustomed to, with huge taxation and penalties being the most realistic way of changing peoples behaviour. Mark my words, the question of nuclear energy will rear its albeit ugly head as the most feasible solution to our energy problems.

Wave, wind, hydro, solar... The list goes on. The possibilities are there, we just need the consensus from the major investors in scientific research to develop these alternate forms of energy. You know the amount spent on researching nuclear power dwarfs that spent on wind power, yet wind power has become many many times more efficient with a fraction of nuclear powers researchs spending?

Victor Hugo
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 08:02
Wave is horribly inefficient, it does not even cover the energy costs of its construction. Wind power is only useful on a house-by-house basis and cannot possibly supply mains power to the large communities of today. Even then it is inefficient and noisy, making it even more undesirable in residential areas. Hydro electricity is, at least, useful. However, it does have quite disastrous effects on the environment in its own ways, and there are very few communities in the world who can gain their entire power needs from hydro-electric sources. Solar power, as it currently exists, is practically useless as a mains power source. What I would like to see, however, is the majority of buildings utilising solar panelling to supplement mains power needs. Solar power merits further research as it at least has the potential to be useful.

There are new forms of geothermal power under development and trial in Australia which I think could supply a decent amount of power. However these methods require very specific circumstances which are unlikely to be useful in most situations.

I think the best possible solution is for nuclear power to firstly be accepted in the developed nations. Nuclear power is cleaner, safer and more efficient than any other means of useful energy production. The next step is for the developed nations to stop discouraging the development of nuclear power in developing nations. If this is not done developing nations will have NO CHOICE but to rapidly increase the number of coal and oil power stations to match their rapidly rising energy requirements.

It is completely idiotic to try to force people who are already living in poor conditions and often starving, to give a stuff about the environment when it means they have no power. It is also hyprocritical. The best approach is to encourage nuclear power in the present, and pour resources into research into disposing of nuclear waste properly, and into the development of clean and renewable energy sources.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 09:42

Ireland's hydro-power has already been maxed out, with just under 2.5% of our energy coming from it. Wave power is, as already said a useless innovation. The wind potential has been grossly exaggerated, and there are numerous reports of low-frequency humming in the vicinity of turbines, causing headaches in people and not allowing livestock to flourish. There is also only a very small proportion of countries that can realistically avail of wind power, with Ireland as an island having the greatest potential in Europe, yet only through putting turbines in every concievable corner of the country, including 200 off the Wicklow coastline, and even at that they would only cover 25% of our energy needs. We have no option at the moment but use more and more of our finite resources and as pekau rightly said we are just procratinating and making the problem worse for ourselves in the long run.

I am an honest person, and I can honestly say that I have no intention of giving up my home comforts, my television, my gas heater, my car (if I had one) or any other energy requiring luxury we are all accustomed to nowadays. In fact I go to a college 90miles from where I live. Am I going to cycle?? Neither are you. The only thing I will cut down on is air travel..BUT I will do some little things like everybody else, unfortunately these little things are acedemic on the larger scale and we need a realistic and progressive solution.

Malheureusement pour le monde, la solution is Nuclear power.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 10:08
I'll join the bandwagon and say nuclear is the best way to go. Nuclear reactors are not terrorist threats in the least, first off, the shielding on the reactor is many feet of thick concrete, not even a jumbo jet crashing into this shield can bring it down. Trust me I've seen films where they tested the integrity of the domes. Besides that the reactor is only dangerous if the rods are in the "on" position. If the rods are "off" there is no danger besides the background radiation, kept sealed by said domes.

Besides I would like to believe terrorists aren't stupid enough to actually attack nuclear reactors. Many states that support terrorist organizations either use nuclear reactors or would like to use them, and if there was an actual attack on one, then world opinion would be so against nuclear power there could be a universal ban, it's just bad policy to screw up your benefactors business.

Also with nuclear waste, either shoot it off into space (trust me even if the launchcraft explodes all that will happen is the waste will fall into the atlantic ocean (assuming Cape Canaveral is the starting point) which isn't terrible devastating to the environment (how many nuclear subs are sunk at the bottom of the ocean?)) or we could designate a "dead area" where a certain zone is created that will be devoid of anything but the decontamination project (I'm a big fan of shoving all that crap into a volcano or other fissure.)
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Denis View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Denis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 10:17
Ladies and Gentlemen, something I should have posted a long time ago:

Science holds the answer. Nuclear power is:

Dangerous
Inefficient (Economically so)
Has the spectre of Nuclear waste over its head.

Solar power has the potential to supply most of, if not all of our energy needs in the future. Countries like Algeria and Saudi Arabia could eventually export electricity in its raw form once their oil resources run out by using up millions of square miles of their desert to create electricity. Just read the article.

Victor Hugo
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 10:58
Denis nuclear power is NOT dangerous. The life expectancy of a worker in a coal power plant is alot shorter than one in a nuclear plant. You can fly a plane into a power plant, which is effectively a giant block of concrete and lead. It won't to squat. You can walk into a nuclear reactor and try you hardest to cause a nuclear meltdown and you wouldn't be able to succeed as the computer would stop you.

It is also far from economically inefficient. Alot less uranium has to be mined to fuel a nuclear reactor than coal for a coal power plant. Contrary to popular opinion, building a nuclear reactor is not even particularly difficult.

The nuclear waste issue is easily dealt with in the short term. Storage devices that can hold waste for thousands of years have been developed, and a sea-based launch platform could easily deposit our waste in deep-space. In the long term we can make the space-deposit system more effective or develop a way to neutralise the waste more quickly (accelerate decay).

In addition solar power is basically useless as-is. It takes HUGE amounts of space to create the equivalent output from one coal station. Research needs to be done to make it as efficient as it has the potential to be. Also, you can't exactly "export" electricity except to close neighbours as flow is lost over distances rather rapidly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>