Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Khoisanid people

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Khoisanid people
    Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 01:56
coming off a question and answers thread, I thought i would start one on the Khoisan people.

I found this article which touches on what penguin posted.

"Another group that has been the subject of much discussion is the Khoisanid peoples (including the Hottentots, San, !Kung). The San (Bushmen) in southern Africa are a group that physically looks quite different from other Negroids. Baker (1974), and Coon (1965) among others, have argued they are as different from Negroids as Caucasoids are, and should be treated as a separate race from other Negroids. The genetic data reported here shows them to differ more from other sub-Saharan Africans than any of the sub-Saharan groups differ from each other (p. 175).

Interestingly, the San are closer to Near Eastern populations than the adjacent Bantu populations. Their gene frequencies are consistent with their being 56% Near Eastern, with the remainder African. Given that the territory they currently occupy is distant from Caucasoid territory, this is puzzling. However, a possible theory supported by historic remains and linguistic traces, is that they were once were in East Africa, possibly as far north as Egypt. Some mixing with Caucasoids could have occurred then.

The Ethiopian populations, which appear to be a similar Caucasoid, Negroid mix show a considerable genetic distance from the San, suggesting if both are a result of mixture, the mixtures occurred at different times.

An alternative hypothesis, that is supported by mitchorondrial DNA evidence and the San's distinctive morphology, is that they are a relict population of an early race of humans whose territory once covered much of Africa, and are the ancestors of all humans (p. 176). It is interesting to see how modern genetic data supports the earlier idea of Coon that these were a relict of the original populations from which other groups split (1963, 1965). Here the resemblance with the Near Eastern populations is explained by these populations having been derived from the San." Source

A language map

Source

I would like to learn a bit more about this group, being unique (and arguably archaic),

The national geographic genetic map

They have some the highest frequencies of both M91 Y chromosome and L1 mitchorondrial DNA. This makes the more directly related genetically to the 'Adam and Eve' of the homo sapians.

Edit:

Some studies that mention Khoisan genetics. (my colouring)

"Hierarchical Patterns of Global Human Y-Chromosome Diversity"

"The root of the gene tree in figure 1 fell between two sets of haplotypes (h1h4 and h5h10) that are entirely restricted to the continent of Africa (table 1), thereby supporting the hypothesis of an African origin
of contemporary NRY lineages (Hammer et al. 1998; Underhill et al. 2000). Haplotype 1 represents the ancestral human NRY haplotype (previously designated haplotype 1A in Hammer et al. 1998), which is found at relatively high frequencies in Khoisan populations. Haplotype 2, a one-step neighbor of h1, was found in;14% of Ethiopian chromosomes in this study, as well as in 42% of Underhill et al.s (1997) Sudanese samples. The predominantly East African distribution of h1 and h2 (data not shown) lends support to the hypothesis of a remnant archaic gene pool along the African rift and a possible wider East African range for the ancestors of
the Khoisan (Scozzari et al. 1999). Other than the two aforementioned sets of haplotypes confined to Africa and a set of YAP1 haplotypes (h13h15), all haplotypes in the remainder of the tree were absent or very rare in sub-Saharan African populations"
(Link)

other useful sources for other information

http://khoisan.org/

Edited by Leonidas - 03-Feb-2007 at 08:15
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 08:12

Hi Leonidas,

I can contribute with a link. This topic was discussed time ago in a site that study the realities of "race":

(1) This is a very heated debate about the "light skinned" Africans, the Khoisan and the origin of Berbers

http://backintyme.com/odr/viewtopic.php?t=2037&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=40

(2) This is also about the Khoisan

And some pictures:

A Khoisan that is "asian-looking":

Khoisan kids:

Regards,

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 03-Feb-2007 at 08:13
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 08:18
thanks Pinguin will do a search in here and on the wider web.

Just edited in some genetics talk into the first post
AfrikaJamaika View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AfrikaJamaika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 12:14
Ok Pinguin man no matter what you say....If a white Nationalist seen the Bushmen/Khoisans people they would still call it a "Nigger" and say that they are not related to no nigger......And you know it...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 12:48
White Nationalists are a bunch of idiots, like all racists. I don't believe that's a good argument at all. Don't you think?

(By the way, just as a curiosity, don't you know there are lot of White Americans that have Black African ancestors in the family tree? They look 100% White but genetics don't lay. If you get interested into that, just let me know)

Science is a lot more precise than racism to define facts. That's all.

What interest me, and most of the rational people of this planet, is the family tree of mankind. And everything point to the Khoisan as the root, at least so far.

Just think about this. Khoisans have a "click" language. It is wild to especulate that perhaps -just perhaps- that language could be one of the earliest still spoken? Could it be the ancient root of all other languages?

Another question. If the Khoisan have a very ancestral culture, with things like bows and arrows, could be they the original inventors of those arms?

What was the past of the Khoisan people that (some say) used to populated the whole Africa before the Bantu expansion? How they moved and changed with time?

Now, for the matter of racism, changing the external aspect of people is not a big deal for Mother Nature. It can be done in just a couple of thousand years in small groups. Genes that controls color of skin and other features, are few and they changed with time in the small populations of 60.000 years ago. (And perhaps you have seen those pictures of albine "black" Africans that look quite European, indeed)

Etc., there are thousands of question comming.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 03-Feb-2007 at 12:56
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 14:14
Originally posted by pinguin

Hi Leonidas,

I can contribute with a link. This topic was discussed time ago in a site that study the realities of "race":

(1) This is a very heated debate about the "light skinned" Africans, the Khoisan and the origin of Berbers

Oh man!! I was loosing my control until this guy, thanks God, sentenced de discussion

I do not dispute your points about cultural influences and cultural pride (especially not in this forum).

The genetic point that interests me about north Africans is that many recent studies have shown that as a population, they have always been precisely where they are now, at least since the last glacial maximum (LGM) 16kya. Obviously, they received profound cultural influences from Arabia after Muhammad. And, equally obvious, they deeply affected Iberian culture and language. But genetically they are still the same people who were there in north Africa when the last Neanderthal died.

It is true that the European and subsaharan intromissions are detectable. But both sources represent less than ten percent of the present north African gene pool. The rest is indigenous to the region (at least since the LGM). It is interesting to me that so many pseudo-scholars want to portray these people as Europeans (or almost European) and others equally ignorant want to depict them as subsaharan Africans (or almost). In fact, they are neither. They are north Africans and always have been (at least since the LGM).

AfrikaJamaika View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AfrikaJamaika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 23:59
Originally posted by pinguin

(By the way, just as a curiosity, don't you know there are lot of White Americans that have Black African ancestors in the family tree? They look 100% White but genetics don't lay. If you get interested into that, just let me know)

Yes i do know that, but most of the time they'll try to hide it......I'm pretty sure everyone of us humans are mixed with more things then we think.....But yeah i am a little interested in the genetic thing...If you got a link i'll check it out.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 22:10

Check this:

I guarantee your concept of "race" will change. And also check this:

Pinguin

Post Reply Post Reply