Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What happened to the Mongols?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What happened to the Mongols?
    Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 01:49
But note this if I said assimilatd or Turkified this has nothing to do with the Ottomans in anykind(and even les with Beyazid han)

This all happend in Central asia as in the Khanatesof Central asia. Timur was an enemy of the Ottomans so yeah they fought.
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 06:39
Originally posted by pekau

Wow, is that really possible?Confused

Hehe...to bash your brains out against a steel cage? No doubt, if you're determined enough. Big%20smile

The veracity of either story about Bayezid's death can't be tested though, so it's pretty much up to oneself what to believe. Usually Ottoman fanboys prefer to believe the poison ring version, whereas admirers of Timur smile gleefully at the prospect of Timur driving Bayezid to bash his own brains out. I prefer the latter myself, out of sheer morbid fascination. It's a striking mental image.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 08:42

as said before

the reason the mongols declined is that they assimulated the customs and manners of the poeple they conquerd. most importantly the core of peacefull agricultural life. the main strenth the mongols\ arabs\ huns or any steppe poeple had over civiliation is simple:
every man can be a warrior.
while in the "civiliesed lands only about 5% of the men where armed. as most of the population was occupied in agriculture.  the nomadic poeple although small in numbers could call upon a great deal of warriors when needed. in time the mongols became very similar to the poeple they conquerd. the persians, the chinese and the russians.

No more was every man a fighter. and the armies who was once national became mercenary.the mongols lost the unique of thier empire.  and became a set of conventionall kingdoms.
from here thing only got worse.
constant fughting between the descendants the Genghis chan deteriorated the mongol kingdoms. the chinese rebelled against thier mongol rulers with zeal. and the mongol khan at that point was a weak child not capable of suppressing such a fanatical revolt.

the last and perhaps most succufull mongol kingdom: "the golden horde" was almost wiped out completely by the army of Timurlanc ,a mongol descendant himself. Timorlan himself was a brilliant tactician, but as the custom of mongol leaders did not take enough care about what would happen after he is dead.   
And when he died his empire died with him. as it turned into rivalling petty kingdoms and city states.
i hope i ansered some of your questions
sincerely
Raffi

Edited by Raffi - 07-Feb-2007 at 08:44
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 08:45
Originally posted by Raffi

as said before

the reason the mongols declined is that they assimulated the customs and manners of the poeple they conquerd. most importantly the core of peacefull agricultural life. the main strenth the mongols\ arabs\ huns or any steppe poeple had over civiliation is simple:
every man can be a warrior.
while in the "civiliesed lands only about 5% of the men where armed. as most of the population was occupied in agriculture.  the nomadic poeple although small in numbers could call upon a great deal of warriors when needed. in time the mongols became very similar to the poeple they conquerd. the persians, the chinese and the russians.

No more was every man a fighter. and the armies who was once national became mercenary.the mongols lost the unique of thier empire.  and became a set of conventionall kingdoms.
from here thing only got worse.
constant fughting between the descendants the Genghis chan deteriorated the mongol kingdoms. the chinese rebelled against thier mongol rulers with zeal. and the mongol khan at that point was a weak child not capable of suppressing such a fanatical revolt.

the kast and perhaps most succufull mongol kingdom: "the golden horde" was almost wiped out by the army of Timurlanc a mongol descendant himself. Timorlan himself was a brilliant tactician, but as the custom of mongol leaders did not take enough care about what would happen after he is dead.   
And when he died his empire died with him. as it turned into rivalling petty kingdoms and city states.
i hope i ansered some of your questions
sincerely
Raffi

but this can allso work the otherway around just look at the Seljuks or Ottomans and Tatars(they just assimilated the rest of the population seljuks not so much but they kept tehre identity)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 09:03

that is true. the fall of the mongols was in no way inevitable.yet i do beleive that the turks after some success stopped the custom of a nationall army. and had to muster forces from outside the empire. i am talking of course of the much famed janissary infantry.

Jagiello View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Jagiello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 10:03
I'm sorry but i don't accept the term mongolian EMPIRE.Yes, i know that an empire is when a country conquers other nations, but the mongols did not conquer other nations exept for the chinese ,but simpy the whole Horde passed through Asia without founding any big cities and without creating any propper administration to call it an Empire.Ofcourse they couldn't hold the territory because they did not create a country,but simply conquer more and more until they finaly were too tired to continue(economicaly and so on...).
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 11:20
Mongols had an excellent concept of "state".they brought craftsmen to Mongolian cities etc if you say that they didnt govern anywhere.
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 12:06
Hmm the mongolians never intended to govern anything. They just wanted to raid cities and castles but they were so succesfull in what they did they needed to found a city"Kharakorum" The most valuable possetion of the mongols was kept ther. Not gold not jewels but craftsmen, Scolars(educated people)

The mongolians introduced the bill(money), a postal service(the first pont expres), etc to the world.

The Mongolain empire might not have been for a long time but what about the succesor states.

Jagiello your from poland right teh closest of those was the Crimerean Khanat who ruled over that region for over 300 years(thats long)

It is true that the Tatars rather stayed in the Krim rather than the whom empire(Just look at bahcesaray it's beatifull)

It is true that the mongols plundered an pilleaged but that was there goal at first.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 13:14
i disagree
until the time of genghis khan the mongols (and other nations later to join them) had a history of raiding and sacking.
but this is the greatness of ghengis khan. he came there to stay. when he spoke to Yalio chotsai his chinese adviser and exellent statesman himself, he requested advice on how to build an empire to last thousend of years.
Yalio answered him one of my favorite proverbs:
"on may conquer an empire riding a horse, but on cannot rule it on horseback. when you wish to make bows you need an artisan familiar with bowcraft. And when you wish to govern an empire you need statesmen who know thier trade.
ghengis khan was set to conquer the world. no less. and there was a time that this was actualy close to be acheived. to say that he was only after loot and gold is to do this great (but rather imoral) conquerer a great injustice.

Zheng-ru View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Zheng-ru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 21:29
Originally posted by Jagiello

I'm sorry but i don't accept the term mongolian EMPIRE.Yes, i know that an empire is when a country conquers other nations, but the mongols did not conquer other nations exept for the chinese ,but simpy the whole Horde passed through Asia without founding any big cities and without creating any propper administration to call it an Empire.Ofcourse they couldn't hold the territory because they did not create a country,but simply conquer more and more until they finaly were too tired to continue(economicaly and so on...).

Jagiello,

Of course they conquered other nations. The Khwarazm Empire, Baghdad, most of Russia.

And they had a very good system of administration.

- Zheng-ru
"The best victory is when the opponent surrenders of its own accord before there are any actual hostilities...It is best to win without fighting."
- Sun-tzu
Zheng-ru View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Zheng-ru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 21:30
Another cause of the Mongols' fall is that they were mostly nomads and instead of adapting to agriculture to feed their serfs and greater army, they destroyed irrigation in the Middle East.
"The best victory is when the opponent surrenders of its own accord before there are any actual hostilities...It is best to win without fighting."
- Sun-tzu
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 22:07
Originally posted by Zheng-ru

Another cause of the Mongols' fall is that they were mostly nomads and instead of adapting to agriculture to feed their serfs and greater army, they destroyed irrigation in the Middle East.

Nice one. Never thought of it before.Clap

Join us.
Zheng-ru View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Zheng-ru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 17:52
Ah, thank you Pekau.
- Sun-tzu
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12