Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

African Villages in Iran

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: African Villages in Iran
    Posted: 06-Jan-2005 at 10:55

An Afro-Iranian woman

Some relate Africans of Iran to the Thonga-Bantu cultures of southeastern Africa and it is said that these blacks were brought to the Persian Gulf by Portuguese slave traders as early as the sixteenth century, they are called Ahl-i Hava (Followers of the winds), they worship the Winds and drink the fresh blood because they believe that the drinking of fresh blood will bring down the Wind! However they are very poor people and may look uncivilized but native Iranians of southern Iran have been greatly influenced by African culture of these peoples, for example popular music of Bandari which is considered to be an Iranian or Arabic music, is in fact an African music. (a sample of Bandari Music)

There are two types of African villages in Iran:

1.Toup-Neshin:

Entrance to a "toup", house of palm branches. Walls of these houses are covered with a mixture of straw and mud and their ceiling is covered by "daz" (fan palm) leaves.

An African village in Lashar

2.Kapar-Neshin:

A "kapar", I think it can not be called a house but just a large wooden tent.

An African village in Chabahar

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2005 at 11:13

Cyrus, you guys are everywhere
Even my Boss is Iranian.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2005 at 19:07
Iraq has even more, they even had a massive slave rebellion and its own dynasty back int eh day, the Zenj rebellion I think.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2005 at 23:46

and they got the iranian passports?

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2005 at 03:45

These types of African villages can be just found in Baluchistan of Iran and Pakistan (In Pakistan they are called Sidi ->Pakistan's Sidi keep heritage alive)

You can see the influence of African architecture in this huge castle in the Baluchistan of Iran:

Saba Castle in Saravan

chessrook1 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote chessrook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 12:41

Thats interesting. There was a BBC article awhile back about black people in India who are of African origin. Their ancestors were sold as slaves I think by European or Muslim merchants to serve as bodyguards or workers to Indias rulers (I forgot their title). I dont have the article link at the moment but their descendents are now completely "Indianized" now.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2005 at 04:43
Hmm IIRC this was in Pakistan, Karachi to be precise, they are relativly Indianised, but still retain a sprinking of some African traditions.
Arrrgh!!"
Saki View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Saki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2005 at 19:06

During the War my family evacuated Khuzistan thanks to Soddom, and wound up in Tehran as refugees for 5 years. They lived with two african Families in their corridor!

East Africans are well known to Kerman Historically since they frequently though nominally slaves occupied administrative roles for noted families. These were typically Ethiopian Africans. This is recorded in 18-19 C.

They were also prolific in numbers in the Courts as Eunuchs. No descendents have as yet been traced!

See Persia and the Great Game: Percy Sykes Consul, Adventurer, General Colonial Bully Boy and Spy.

Edited by Saki
Knowledge is power, and power is the knowledge of when not to use it.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2005 at 12:42
Originally posted by chessrook1

Thats interesting. There was a BBC article awhile back about black people in India who are of African origin. Their ancestors were sold as slaves I think by European or Muslim merchants to serve as bodyguards or workers to Indias rulers (I forgot their title). I dont have the article link at the moment but their descendents are now completely "Indianized" now.

I don't know if the situation has changed now but there was a big controversy surrounding them some time back. While they were no-longer slaves since the 19th century Pakistan still had inherited debt laws and these people were bonded labour for life, generation after generation on debt of there ancestors since the abolishion of slavery.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2005 at 15:26
Wasn't there an African tribe called the Zanj that was moved to a part of Iran to work as slaves?...I remember once reading of a revolt against Arab rule.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2005 at 20:29
yes, in Iraq it was.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 03:31
Interesting topic, I've never heard about them until now. Thank you again Cyrus!
Anfører
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 06:45
Everyday I learn something new. I never knew that black african slaves were sold to the Middle East and India; I only knew of their presence in North Africa and America.

Have these Black Africans kept their identity up to the present day in Iran?

Conservative View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Conservative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 23:03
Ive heard of them but never seen any. Interesting topic.
ایران‌ زمین
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 00:47
I have seen darker people (Really black not brown) in Bandar Abbas, and they spoke arabic not Iranian or african language. I think they came with Arabs and settled on very southern Iran. Arabs were famous for having African slaves and selling slave back then.
Anfører
jfsndvs View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote jfsndvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2009 at 00:43
Originally posted by chessrook1

That?s interesting. There was a BBC article awhile back about black people in India who are of African origin. Their ancestors were sold as slaves I think by European or Muslim merchants to serve as bodyguards or workers to India?s rulers

Here is an article on Malik Ambar, who was from Ethiopia and became ruler of an Indian state: http://www.hindu.com/mag/2008/10/12/stories/2008101250220700.htm
 Post Reply Post Reply