Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Early destroyers of Enviroment?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Early destroyers of Enviroment?
    Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 19:25
Curious example, i don't know it. Most of the examples are the opposite, the northern fauna invaded the south replacing most of the southamerican curious fauna (a lot of marsupials)
Lepidodendron View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Lepidodendron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 19:45
Ontopic: It is at least remarkable that wherever the presence of modern man can be first inferred from the fossil/archaeological record, the local megafauna disappears shortly thereafter. Africa seems to be somewhat of an exception, but as it is the region where modern humans evolved anyway, it makes sense: animals would have been able to slowly adapt alongside with humans. When they subsequently invaded other areas with their sophisticated hunting skills, large animals quickly became extinct: in Australia (c. -45.000), Europe, the Americas (c. -15.000-10.000, slightly earlier in Europe than in America), Madagascar (before 1000 CE), New Zealand (c. 1500 CE?).

I guess it's a combination of climate change and predation by humans that put too much stress on many types of prehistoric animals. Especially so in the case of larger mammals, which tend to have slower reproduction rates than small ones.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 19:46
Believe it or not, there are still marsupials in South America!!

There are some small animals, of the size of a mouse, that can be found in the rainy forests of southern South American. A picture.

This Chilean marsupial is called "Monito del monte" (Monkey of the hill)

A page on South American mamals.

Pinguin
Lepidodendron View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Lepidodendron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 19:49
Originally posted by pinguin

Believe it or not, there are still marsupials in South America!!

There are some small animals, of the size of a mouse, that can be found in the rainy forests of southern South American. A picture.

This Chilean marsupial is called "Monito del monte" (Monkey of the hill)

[...]

A page on South American mamals.

Pinguin

Well, the Opossums even crossed over to North America.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2007 at 00:45
Very true Pinguin! Though many see Australia as the Marsupial hot spot of the world - marsupials flourish in South America (and North..but not to the same extent). Scientists are always finding new subspecies and species in the treetops or the deep jungle. It truly is amazing the great biodiversity that exists there. My favourite marsupial is the Water Opossum, or the Yapok. It lives in the South American Wetlands and Rainforest.

http://www.knowyoursto.com/images/genusopossums/chironectes-minimus02.jpg
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2007 at 10:08
Originally posted by Knights

Very true Pinguin! Though many see Australia as the Marsupial hot spot of the world - marsupials flourish in South America (and North..but not to the same extent). Scientists are always finding new subspecies and species in the treetops or the deep jungle. It truly is amazing the great biodiversity that exists there. My favourite marsupial is the Water Opossum, or the Yapok. It lives in the South American Wetlands and Rainforest.

Oh man curious animal, althought looks like a rat, and i don't like the rats Confused

Knights, in Australia, when the human arrive in the Pleistocen i have hear that was a time of massive extinction, what are the dettails of this? Have the white man destroyed other species since the XVIII century?

Thanks

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2007 at 10:42
Originally posted by Ikki

Oh man curious animal, althought looks like a rat, and i don't like the rats Confused

You don't like rats? Jesus!

I have a cuy in my house as a mascot. A cuy is a rodent from the Andes (not marsupial but euterian) that is also known as "Guinea" Pig. A bad name because the "Guinea" Pig is Peruvian LOL

A picture of this wonderful creature, that I recommed to all kids. You can talk with them whisteling LOL. I don't advice to eat those criatures though, like some peoples of the Andes do. Yeakk!Dead

Isn't it cute? Embarrassed

Pinguin

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2007 at 21:17
Yes, they are so cute Pinguin!
Woot- check out the long haired guinea pig (bred by man) -

Oh man curious animal, although looks like a rat, and i don't like the rats Confused

Yeh it is a bit like a rat in its nature, but if you have ever seen one in action, they are exactly as you put it - very curious! It has a small segment on the first episode of Attenborough's 'Life of Mammals' which is basically about Marsupials (Episode 1 that is). The footage shows it swimming around in an Amazonian creek catching fish, but it is just the most curious and inquisitive creature (well, not THE most).

Knights, in Australia, when the human arrive in the Pleistocene i have hear that was a time of massive extinction, what are the details of this?

Are you talking about the belief that the Indigenous Australians (Aboriginals) were a major factor in the Megafauna's extinction? Well basically, the arrival of these people from Asia (where they are believed to have come from) saw the demise of the megafauna. They were hunted and did not have the knowledge or adaptations to escape. The forest fires created by the Aboriginals were also contributed to the extinction. Ultimately, it is said to have been human activities that caused their extinction, in particular the burning of the bushland, which the megafuana were not adapted to either. After not long, the megafauna were a thing of the past. I'm not too good on this particular area so you may be able to get more information from other members.

Have the white man destroyed other species since the XVIII century?

Yes many Australian animals have gone extinct, and even more have been driven to near extinction. I can't provide a full run-down of animals gone extinct in Australia since white colonisation in 1788, but here are some:
- Tasmanian Emu
- Rufus Bristlebird
- Paradise Parrot
- Gastric Brooding Frog
- Eastern Bettong
- Desert Rat Kangaroo
- Lesser Stick Nest Rat
- Toolache Wallaby
- Desert Mouse
- Gould's Mouse
- Bulldog Rat
- Thylacine (Tasmanian Tiger)

Click HERE for a comprehensive list on the extinct animals in Australia (since 1788)

- Knights -

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2007 at 21:52
Wow! That guinea pig look like a rock star of the sixties. Robert Plant perhaps LOL
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2007 at 00:54

Rats are fine... I just hate hamsters. After I have seen clips of two hamsters having a deathmatch, which resulted one poor hamster's eyes being chewed into... I will stop there.

Join us.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2007 at 07:07
Hamsters are hyperkinetic. If you have to chose, go for guinea pigs. Those fellows are easy going and have a quite good character LOL
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2007 at 07:20

Yeh it is a bit like a rat in its nature, but if you have ever seen one in action, they are exactly as you put it - very curious! It has a small segment on the first episode of Attenborough's 'Life of Mammals' which is basically about Marsupials (Episode 1 that is). The footage shows it swimming around in an Amazonian creek catching fish, but it is just the most curious and inquisitive creature (well, not THE most).

I have research about this animal and true is very interesting

the Water Opossum has evolved a way to protect its young while swimming. A strong ring of muscle makes the pouch (which opens to the rear) watertight, so the young remain dry, even when the mother is totally immersed in water. The male also has a pouch (although not as watertight as the female's), where he places his genitalia before swimming. This is thought to prevent it from becoming tangled in aquatic vegetation and is probably helpful in streamlining the animal as well as it is swimming quickly.

Impressive.

Like say an spanish maxim: "Nunca te acostars sin saber algo nuevo" (You never will sleep without know new things); the problem with the animal was your horrible photo Knights LOL, i like much this other

Are you talking about the belief that the Indigenous Australians (Aboriginals) were a major factor in the Megafauna's extinction? Well basically, the arrival of these people from Asia (where they are believed to have come from) saw the demise of the megafauna. They were hunted and did not have the knowledge or adaptations to escape. The forest fires created by the Aboriginals were also contributed to the extinction. Ultimately, it is said to have been human activities that caused their extinction, in particular the burning of the bushland, which the megafuana were not adapted to either. After not long, the megafauna were a thing of the past. I'm not too good on this particular area so you may be able to get more information from other members.

I remember the times when the fire of the aborigins was showed like a perfec model of adaptation to the ecosystem, a lot of documentals put the things in this way; what so cynical.

Oh, the australian megafauna is impressive

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_megafauna

Yes many Australian animals have gone extinct, and even more have been driven to near extinction. I can't provide a full run-down of animals gone extinct in Australia since white colonisation in 1788, but here are some:
- Tasmanian Emu
- Rufus Bristlebird
- Paradise Parrot
- Gastric Brooding Frog
- Eastern Bettong
- Desert Rat Kangaroo
- Lesser Stick Nest Rat
- Toolache Wallaby
- Desert Mouse
- Gould's Mouse
- Bulldog Rat

Click HERE for a comprehensive list on the extinct animals in Australia (since 1788)

- Knights -

Very good work Knights thank very much for the interest Clap
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2007 at 20:36

I have research about this animal and true is very interesting
Indeed it is very interesting. I have only done minimal work about this creature and marsupials in general, but the more I look into it - the more amazing adaptions and characteristics I discover, it's amazing.

the Water Opossum has evolved a way to protect its young while swimming. A strong ring of muscle makes the pouch (which opens to the rear) watertight, so the young remain dry, even when the mother is totally immersed in water. The male also has a pouch (although not as watertight as the female's), where he places his genitalia before swimming. This is thought to prevent it from becoming tangled in aquatic vegetation and is probably helpful in streamlining the animal as well as it is swimming quickly. Impressive.
Very impressive. I recall several other animals which share that adaptation, but cannot recall their names unfortunately. Ah that's right, one of them is the Hydromys (Water Rat) I think.

Like say an spanish maxim: "Nunca te acostars sin saber algo nuevo" (You never will sleep without know new things); the problem with the animal was your horrible photo Knights LOL, i like much this other

Very true Ikki. I suppose my picture was pretty bad image. Also, your picture must be a very young one...because it doesn't seem big enough, and the colouring/snout is not quite normal. Here is a handy site with some photos. http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/640.shtml

I remember the times when the fire of the aborigins was showed like a perfec model of adaptation to the ecosystem, a lot of documentals put the things in this way; what so cynical.
That is not my opinion, that is the general concensus and theory as to how Australia's megafauna went extinct.

- Tasmanian Emu
- Rufus Bristlebird
- Paradise Parrot
- Gastric Brooding Frog
- Eastern Bettong
- Desert Rat Kangaroo
- Lesser Stick Nest Rat
- Toolache Wallaby
- Desert Mouse
- Gould's Mouse
- Bulldog Rat

Very good work Knights thank very much for the interest Clap
Thankyou Ikki, I'm glad someone else shares a similar interest. I look forward to further discussion on this topicSmile

- Knights -
Wrageowrapper View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Wrageowrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 18:57
One of the contributing factors for the demise of the megafauna in Australia was their rather low birth rate. So when people speak of hunting the megafauna to extinction you have to understand that even though the human population at the time was very low it would not take much of a dent to destroy the animals. If one species only breads once in every two years then it will not take very long for that species to die anyway.
In terms of fire farming no one really knows when the practice started but it has been credited for creating the distinct Australian outback. However, fire farming was used in very lush parts of the continent such as Tasmania and not used in other more arid parts. So it makes it very hard to argue that such practices create desert lands.
One of the big factors in Australia is the introduction of the Dingo, which is a relative of the Asiatic wolf and not a dog as was once thought. The Dingo can be blamed for the extinction of the Thylacine and the Tasmanian Devil on the mainland. The Dingo was never introduced to Tasmania which is why both of those species lived on.
Interestingly enough the Tasmanian Aborigines seemed to be very adept at training and using dogs in guerrila war and hunting stolen from settlers that some peeps believed that they may have actually trained some thylacines. There is no real conclusive evidence for this apart from hearsay about occasional tribal leader.

Edited by Wrageowrapper - 07-Feb-2007 at 18:57
Nuenonne Palawa-kani wrageowrapper.
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 23:09
I heard of ancient stories when I was a kid about my people have seen man sized beavers, and hunted them. Shocked imagine the bite they would give to you.  Shocked

Edited by The Canadian Guy - 07-Feb-2007 at 23:10
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12