Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greek Cult Holds Forbidden Ceremony

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greek Cult Holds Forbidden Ceremony
    Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 05:49
As far as I know many Karelians and Saami are pagan. All nonslavic tribes in the north of Russia are pagans as well. If I am not mistaken.
Brainstorm View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 07:43
Originally posted by nikodemos

The last pagans in Greece were in Sparta  and they were converted to christianity during the reign of Basil II in the 10th century as far as i remember

Basil I Smile (late 9th)
http://protostrator.blogspot.com
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 13:32
Originally posted by Anton

As far as I know many Karelians and Saami are pagan. All nonslavic tribes in the north of Russia are pagans as well. If I am not mistaken.
Hmmm... It would be interesting to see how many are true pagans or are actually Christians who keep some pagan traditions as a means of preserving their culture.

Here in the USA, I am under the impression that most Native Americans self identify as Christians and that they retain pagan based religous elements as cultural traditions only.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12