Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYour country's coat of arms?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Xshayathiya View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your country's coat of arms?
    Posted: 29-Jan-2007 at 10:31
Oh and I guess Canada:

"I like rice. Rice is great if you are hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2007 at 19:08
Man, now the coat of arms of Canada is definitely a copy of other nation's coats of arms. It has the English lion to the right (holding the British flag), the Scottish Unicorn to the left (though it is holding the French flag). It also has the English coat of arms on the top left, the Scottish coat of arms on the top right, the Irish on the bottom left, and the French coat of arms on the bottom left.

Top Gun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 13:39

Pero View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 20:51
Serbia

Tsar Dushan (14th century) Coat of arms

Um caruje, Snaga klade valja
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2007 at 06:14
Australia's coat of arms:

Interesting story behind it...the emu (right) and kangaroo (left) are both animals which cannot walk backwards, meant to symbolise that Australia is always looking and moving forward. Approve
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2007 at 06:17
More specifically, and to my liking (stuff the emu, in with the lion!) our the New South Wales coat of arms:

Sorry, no interesting story behind this one, only the 'history' of how it came to be - but I'll see what I can find.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2007 at 06:28
Thought I'd include a very interesting one on behalf on our Mexicans.

Now that is an awesome coat-of-arms. The Eagle is taking out a snake at the same time as standing on a cactus!

I love Chile's (Posted by Pinguin) too.
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2007 at 17:10
Ottoman Coat of Arms:

[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2007 at 17:45
Originally posted by Knights

Thought I'd include a very interesting one on behalf on our Mexicans.

Now that is an awesome coat-of-arms. The Eagle is taking out a snake at the same time as standing on a cactus!

I love Chile's (Posted by Pinguin) too.

Thanks for the reference to the Chilean coat-of-arms.

Now, you should explain though that the Mexican coat-of-arms is actually a hieroglyph Aztec style, that records the foudational myth of the Aztec people that in those times was nomadic. It was the fulfillment of a profecy that say more or less something like this:

"You will build your city in the place were an eagly was eating a serpent in top of a cactus" The city was called Tenochtitlan (today's Mexico city)

I found that amazing. A real graphical poetry.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 31-Jan-2007 at 17:46
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 23:21
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

Man, now the coat of arms of Canada is definitely a copy of other nation's coats of arms. It has the English lion to the right (holding the British flag), the Scottish Unicorn to the left (though it is holding the French flag). It also has the English coat of arms on the top left, the Scottish coat of arms on the top right, the Irish on the bottom left, and the French coat of arms on the bottom left.
d00d! Canada was made of British and French. It would only make sense if it were First Nations, but we never had a coat-of-arms.Confused When I mean British, I meant the English, Scottish and Irish.

Edited by The Canadian Guy - 07-Feb-2007 at 23:23
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Xshayathiya View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 09:53
Originally posted by The Canadian Guy

d00d! Canada was made of British and French. It would only make sense if it were First Nations, but we never had a coat-of-arms.Confused When I mean British, I meant the English, Scottish and Irish.

It's not so much a copy, but a tribute to the roots of Canadians.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you are hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 14:03
Sweden has two, the small and the large. The Three Crowns is the symbol of the Swedish realm.

The large, created in 1448,  is a spiced up version, including also the Folkunga lion in the big shield. The small heart shield is reserved to be the arms of the current ruling dynasty, in this case the House of Bernadotte. The left part of it is actually the arms of the House of Vasa, and the right the star contellation the Big dipper over the Napoleonic eagle, over the bridge of Ponte Corvo.

General
General
The Native Canuck

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 16:04
Originally posted by Xshayathiya

It's not so much a copy, but a tribute to the roots of Canadians.
Yes like what you Xshayathiya, mine is a different point of view, but I like your better.
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 16:09

That's odd. Canada seems to be one of the few countries in the hemisphere that lacks Amerindian symbols in its coat-of-arms. What's up?

Even the U.S. has local symbols, like its eagle and arrows!

Perhaps the exception is the Maple leaf, a native tree, isn't?

Pinguin
General
General
The Native Canuck

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 16:39
Well Pinguin, it took along time, but now my people are recognized by our leader. Our previous leaders didn' t truly have a care for us. PM Harper is doing alot for Canada.
I don't know about the origin of the Maple tree. So I can't say.

Edited by The Canadian Guy - 08-Feb-2007 at 16:40
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 16:43
Glad to know "Canadian Guy"! That's good news that PM Harper is doing what should be done!

I lived in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan for five years, during the late 80s, so I know what's going on. And I am with your people. That, somehow, I feel it is also my people.

Best Regards,

Omar

Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 20:19

I did not mean it as Canada was actively "stealing" other nation's coats of arms, I was merely just stating that it was, in fact, not unique. I honestly think it is a very interesting coat of arms, and one of the most elaborate I have ever seen.

General
General
The Native Canuck

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 20:37
Sorry, I just got over excited. I know what u mean now.
the_oz View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 14:14
Ottoman Empire Coat of Arms(better quality pic):

Edited by the_oz - 28-Apr-2007 at 14:26
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2007 at 03:52
TRNC(Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus)

The coat of arms of TRNC are styled closely on the arms of the Republic of Cyprus, except that the '1960' was removed from the shield underneath the dove and the addition, a depiction of the Turkish star and crescent emblem is placed over the shield with the year '1983' added. The year is in reference to the Declaration of indipendence of the TRNC.

Republic of Cyprus

The coat of arms of Cyprus depicts a dove carrying an olive branch (a well-known symbol of peace) over 1960, the year of Cypriot independence from British rule. The background is a copper-yellow colour; this symbolises the large deposits of copper ore on Cyprus (chiefly in the form of chalcopyrite, which is yellow in colour).

Edited by erkut - 30-Apr-2007 at 03:53
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>