Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Europa Universalis III

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Europa Universalis III
    Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 20:49
Who has it? Is it any good?
Opium is the religion of the masses.

From each according to his need, to each according to his ability.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 20:57
Its not out yet AFAIK.
It looks good so far though, there are previews of the game as it is developing over on the PradoxPlaza forums.

Edited by Cywr - 26-Jan-2007 at 20:58
Arrrgh!!"
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 20:59
I stand corrected, the site is selling it already.
And they sell it as a download, sweet, but really, i should b eworking.

Edited by Cywr - 26-Jan-2007 at 21:03
Arrrgh!!"
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 21:52

And they sell it as a download, sweet, but really, i should b eworking.

Damnit, I'm so torn, I want to play now so I  think I'll download it, but then a part of me wants to pirate the game and another part wants to wait to get the box set with map and everything.

Decisions, decisions...
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 22:24
It's history come alive. Support it, buy it.. for yourself and your birthday.
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2007 at 09:47
I have seen the demo and I am really sorry that Transylvania is again appears as a separate country. Moreover its leader is John Hunyadi who died 40 years before. I do not know whether the other countries' history  are depicted correctly, but this is not a good sign.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2007 at 09:57
The vanilla EUs have always been soso as far as thats concerned. Its the game engine more than anything as far as i'm concerned, the modders will fix the history in no time.

Edited by Cywr - 28-Jan-2007 at 09:57
Arrrgh!!"
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 20:55

It's history come alive. Support it, buy it.. for yourself and your birthday.

Ok, I bought it from Gamers Gate because I figured, if I want to see Crusader Kings 2 I need to get Europa Universalis III.

Anyway, I'm about 1620ad right now in my first game as Friesland and here are some things I've noticed.

The means of exploration is far...far...far easier. All you do is get Quest for the New World and you can build explorers and conquistadors, even if your Army and Navy Tradition is 0% (this might get fixed in a patch). That's not all, once other people start colonizing, the map opens up and you get new regions without sending an explorer, which mind you ships die way more often in EU3.

The lack of events though is a bit disconcerting, it's like playing one of the minors in EU2 and can make peacetime years way too boring. (Again modders will pick up the slack in this department.)

Another quirk of my current game is that there are no protestants, I'm not sure how the reformation engine works in this game but for some reason none of the nations went Protestant, nor any of the populace.

And finally no matter what I do, I can never get my nation to tolerate the Highlanders, I have hope someday these wary scottsmen will join in my culture.

I've yet to attempt to mod, (just figuring out the game now), but with infinite tags....oh man is it gonna be sweet.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 22:27

My pre-order collector's edition arrived yesterday. As I live in an apartment I had to rock up to the post office around the corner from my place(thank god it was only around the corner-I had a massive hang over yesterday). Brought it home, before I can open it I had to take a trip to the bathroom and puke...I know, Eww...

Finally got to install it and played a short game as France from the earliest start date of 145*?

Ah BTW, GET IT!

Edited by babyblue - 30-Jan-2007 at 22:28
jayeshks View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote jayeshks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 18:42

I got the game and I can't even express how disappointing it is.  It's lost all historical flavour.  Weird states like Austria and Venice routine colonize North America before even the 15th century is up.  The Reformation is totally random usually sporadically converting a few provinces here and there.  So the AI countries rarely ever convert and there are no religious wars whatsoever.  50 years into a game, it has no semblance to the political situation when you started, with minors like Mecklemburg inheriting Bohemia and Saxony or Tuscany conquering the Italian peninsula and then annexing Austria or the HRE electing Ethiopia as emperor Ouch The 3d is totally useless, I'd much prefer a crisper map and a higher game speed to the 'trees' and 'cliffs'.  To top it all off, despite the free-form Civ like craziness of it all, East Asian and Indian states still get relegated to an abysmal tech speed in order to apparently make things more 'historical'.  LOL

Edited by jayeshks - 03-Feb-2007 at 18:45
Once you relinquish your freedom for the sake of "understood necessity,"...you cede your claim to the truth. - Heda Margolius Kovaly
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 22:43
Originally posted by jayeshks

To top it all off, despite the free-form Civ like craziness of it all, East Asian and Indian states still get relegated to an abysmal tech speed in order to apparently make things more 'historical'.  LOL

Yeah...I almost puked again when I saw Ming's tech levels.
The guys at the Paradox forum says it's for balancing reasons, to stop a human Ming player from stomping all over the world the first ten years he plays.
jayeshks View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote jayeshks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2007 at 14:47
Yeah, I get the reasoning but they could have dealt with that better by making revolts more likely in states with huge populations like Ming (since there aren't any historical events at all) or maybe add a 'distance from capital' modifier for revolt risk etc.  As it stands, it's possible for even say the Aztecs to jump into the latin tech group and out-research forever doomed Japan by 1600 :o

Not to mention the broken religious bonuses.  Confucianism is now completely useless. 
Once you relinquish your freedom for the sake of "understood necessity,"...you cede your claim to the truth. - Heda Margolius Kovaly
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 12:00
I'm looking to getting this soon, and by now i assume there have been a few patches. Is it good enough to warrent myself being a borish geek and getting the gold/special edition?
Arrrgh!!"
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 14:47
i would wait until the release the add-on, not sure on the exact date but it should be soon-ish. on the other hand i guess the add-on will break a lot of new stuff like the recent add-ons had shown...
jayeshks View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote jayeshks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2007 at 23:01
Apparently the add-on will bring back historical events, which would be good
 Post Reply Post Reply