Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Queen Nzinga

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Queen Nzinga
    Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 19:06

my personal favorite female character in history, a lame but ok article on her here fromt he Angolan embassy

http://www.embangola-can.org/nzinga.html

It however, skips over the best part, Queen Nzinga dressed as a man to legitimize authority but also made her harem (of men) dress like women!  That is sooo cool.  It must be fun to be a guy in a queens harem!

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 19:27
That page appears to be Firefox unfriendly
Arrrgh!!"
Berosus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Berosus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2005 at 21:04
Ewwwww, you're right, it looks okay in Internet Explorer but awful in Firefox!  The webmaster must have used tables improperly.

I teach a college course on computers that includes simple webpage design.  I think I'll show my students this one, as an example of how different the same page can look in two different browsers, and why you shouldn't let that happen.
Nothing truly great is achieved through moderation.--Prof. M.A.R. Barker
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2005 at 05:58

She was a courageous woman and had an incredible personality, but I think she's overhyped as a strategist. Most of her successes against the Portuguese occured during the Dutch occupation of Luanda, and the Portuguese were forced into isolation. Once the Dutch were gone, the woman lost again. And before the Dutch came, she had little success. 

Only her strong character kept her safe. That and the fact that it was more profitable for the Portuguese not to press any further. And the Portuguese weren't so technically superior. Angola was a prison colony!

Of course, I am biased.

Oh, and it would have been interesting to have been in her harem.

Edited by Degredado
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2009 at 19:31
It seems women's views died out quite early in this sites history! Has this anything to do with the great "Poo Baas" feelings?
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply