Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Total Quiz XIV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Total Quiz XIV
    Posted: 28-Jan-2007 at 14:14
ok rider as promised the push ( if you didn't find it by yourself)  search on wikipedia that "motto" of the musketeers - make sure you have it in the correct order. that will give to the direction to go.
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2007 at 14:16
Answer to Question 17:

Question 17
This man worked in and journeyed through many parts of Europe, though his origin can be deduced from the motto of a small but famous group of fabled soldiers. After years of travel, occasionally employed in different armies, he settled down and achieved a great reputation; although only temporarily. His name fit him very well and he quickly made enemies and had to move on to save his life. Again on the road, broke, he spent years writing and reading, and eventually regained his wealth and fame. What is his name? (Question by Styrbiorn)
Answer: Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim. Also, or rather mostly, known as Paracelsus, Swiss alchemist, physician etc. The motto in question is "One for all, all for one", made famous from the novels about the Three Musketeers, but also the unofficial motto of the Swiss confederacy.

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2007 at 14:29
I was so close...

But now i know who Theodore-Agrippa d'Aubigne is...
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2007 at 16:02
For those that didn't get Lady Hamilton....

Vivian Leigh played Emma against Laurence Olivier as Nelson.

Caligula and Hitler have also had films made about them - any other of the characters in the quiz?
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2007 at 19:31
Wacko yikes I should have thought that 17 was Styrbiorn.  Nice job Swede.
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2007 at 19:44
Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

Answer to Question 17:

Question 17
This man worked in and journeyed through many parts of Europe, though his origin can be deduced from the motto of a small but famous group of fabled soldiers. After years of travel, occasionally employed in different armies, he settled down and achieved a great reputation; although only temporarily. His name fit him very well and he quickly made enemies and had to move on to save his life. Again on the road, broke, he spent years writing and reading, and eventually regained his wealth and fame. What is his name? (Question by Styrbiorn)
Answer: Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim. Also, or rather mostly, known as Paracelsus, Swiss alchemist, physician etc. The motto in question is "One for all, all for one", made famous from the novels about the Three Musketeers, but also the unofficial motto of the Swiss confederacy.

Damn!! I set the story to France because of the musketeers, and came up with Philippe de Commynes.Ouch
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2007 at 20:44
Total Quiz XIV Awards

Moderators' Awards

The award for Most Improved goes to....
rider

The award Most Dedicated goes to...
Dawn

The award for Most Logic goes to...
Decebal

The award for being the Most Formidable New Challenger to Old Establishment:
Knights/Praetor

and now...

The Total Quiz XIV Main Award of...

Total Quiz XIV Champion
goes to...

Decebal!

who is awarded this signature image to be worn until the conclusion of the next Total Quiz

The top three contestants have also been added to
the list of Total Quiz winners

Thank you all for a wonderful quiz and congratulations to all winners and participants.

Having been the moderator for the past seven TQ's, I've had a wonderful time. All I have to say is that the contestants are all impressive. I'm not sure how many questions I would get right if I played. Decebal is set to join the TQ moderator staff for the next TQ and Northman just just joined in, so the future TQ's should be quite interesting. Wink

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2007 at 01:44
Hello all.
Firstly I would like to congratulate Decebal on another fantastic win.
Secondly, Praetor, I had a fantastic time working with you - and we got ever so close.
Thirdly I would like to take out my anger on our internet company and Praetor's. My internet has been down for the past week (came in at the worst time possible - start of school and total quiz) and Praetor's internet was limited to one computer, therefore only allowing one person to surf the net. This was very annoying indeed.
To conclude, I had a terrific time nervertheless competing against the likes of the great 'Dawn', 'Rider', and 'Decebal' himself. I eagerly await the next total quiz. Thankyou to Invictus, Northman and Poirot as well.
Now that I am back online, I wish to participate actively in this wonderful community again. So until next total quiz, goodbye, and peace out!

Alex Knights
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2007 at 03:29
Thanks!

As guidelines for future quizzes, how did you like this quiz? I thought that this edition was harder than the last one. Before the quiz, poirot told me that this quiz would be challenging because of the obscure answers in some of the answers. The score results confirmed the difficulty, with 16 points at the high end, the quiz turned out to be more challenging than some of the previous.

On the other hand, I thought that many of the mid-level questions were well-written and fun.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2007 at 04:47
Originally posted by Dawn

Wacko yikes I should have thought that 17 was Styrbiorn.  Nice job Swede.
Evil%20Smile 
Too bad it was the Norwegian who solved it. Tongue

J/k, I hoped you'd eventually get it. It's pretty easy once you know what to do with the motto.

Thanks!

As guidelines for future quizzes, how did you like this quiz? I thought that this edition was harder than the last one. Before the quiz, poirot told me that this quiz would be challenging because of the obscure answers in some of the answers. The score results confirmed the difficulty, with 16 points at the high end, the quiz turned out to be more challenging than some of the previous.

On the other hand, I thought that many of the mid-level questions were well-written and fun.

I didn't have time to participate fully, but I did look around a little. I liked them a lot. I think the first few are too easy, and one or two of the hard ones doesn't really give a hint where to start (mine own included, without the hint Embarrassed). Just minor details that is, nice job.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 29-Jan-2007 at 04:47
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2007 at 06:09
As my partner Knights has already said we enjoyed competing despite the mentioned technical difficulties (and others). And Iwould like to congratulate Decebal on yet another Total Quiz victory! as well as among others Dawn for getting that impossible 17th question. I know know half the writers of the renaisance world (and 90 percent of Florentine authors) because of it. I would like to thank the moderators for thier efforts and wish a swift and painful death to Styrbiorn for writing question 17 (just joking (or am IWink)).

The award for being the Most Formidable New Challenger to Old Establishment:
Knights/Praetor

I humbly accept this award in the name of the revolution.

Decebal is set to join the TQ moderator staff for the next TQ and Northman just just joined in, so the future TQ's should be quite interesting. Wink

I congratulate Decebel on his well timed retirement from competing the TQClap. With his retirement the total quiz enters a new era, the question is who's era will it be: Dawn's, Praetor-Knights or perhaps Styrbiorn's?

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2007 at 09:17

I'd like to congratulate everyone who took part in the quiz: the competitors (especially Dawn, Praetor/Knights and Rider) for a game well played and to Invictus and poirot for moderating. I'm looking forward to my new role, though I will look back fondly on all the fun I had with these quizzes. It's going to be fun coming up with questions for future ones.

Ohh and a suggestion: perhaps we could have a tournament of champions at some point in the future, where competitors who have finished in the top three in past quizzes could compete, and where all the questions would be difficult...

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2007 at 10:02
well done Decebal.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2007 at 10:48
My congratulations too to the winners and everyone involved.

This one was rather odd to me. I either got the questions pretty well straight off, or I made no headway at all. In the past there have usually been a few questions where I managed to work out the answers through researching. But this time I couldn't add anything to my first effort.

But as usual I also managed to learn a lot of stuff I didn't know before even though it was totally irrelevant to the quiz.

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2007 at 11:26
congratulations to Knights/Praetor, Rider and all that played. It was a really tough one. Smile   A special congratulations to Decebal.  That win makes you tied for most wins ever with Serge L. He is in very good company. Clap  Thanks to all the mods for an excellantly run quizz - one of the best! The authorship removal was a nice twist hope you do it again.

And last but not least a speical thanks to Imperator Invictus.  The quizz has changed alot under his guidence. It has become more ordered. Now there is a set time between quizzes and a balance of hard and easier questions. The quality and wording of the questions has improved and I think the number of regular participants has grown.  Thank you so much for all you have done.

On to the questions: this round had some real duzzers.
"one or two of the hard ones doesn't really give a hint where to start (mine own included, without the hint Embarrassed). "

that's not true as far as #17 goes. the clue was in plain sight. "fabled soildier motto " was a give away but in my case got discarded in round one after a few hours. with noware else to go in round two I checked into those guys more and the answer apeared from thin air. Moral of the story don't discard your first instinct just case you think you know the subject matter.

The other really tough ones where just as they should be - hard and obscure even if a couple involved chinese history. It is so hard for me to read- very confussing. Cry

My vote for best question goes to #17. Just the kind that I like hard but with the hidden clue that makes it solvable.

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2007 at 14:05
Lol... I would more like to write questions that to answer them,... (hint... hint...)
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2007 at 14:26
Originally posted by Decebal

Ohh and a suggestion: perhaps we could have a tournament of champions at some point in the future, where competitors who have finished in the top three in past quizzes could compete, and where all the questions would be difficult...

Sounds excellent! I'm up for a challenge like that.

Originally posted by Question 17

Bohuslav of Svamberk

This was my favourite question by far. I was sure from the beginning that it had to do with Zizka, if only I had known the author (Timotheus) I woud have been certain! I researched Hussite History for several hours (good reading actually) and eventually came across the Battle of Vysehrad after looking through numerous wikipedia, other website and britannica articles. At the bottom of the article was a short bit about Bohuslav of Svamberk, filling the criteria. And BAM, the question was answered! Good question Timotheus.

Also liked how the Barcelona question was written, and question 18 by our good friend Decebal.

- Knights -
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2007 at 14:40
I'll write three questions for the experts one... be sure to contact me. I promise you will not regret it!!!! You'lll end up knowing every lord that has ever lived in Eastern Europe between 1200 and 1700...
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2007 at 21:25
This was my favourite question by far. I was sure from the beginning that it had to do with Zizka, if only I had known the author (Timotheus) I woud have been certain! I researched Hussite History for several hours (good reading actually) and eventually came across the Battle of Vysehrad after looking through numerous wikipedia, other website and britannica articles. At the bottom of the article was a short bit about Bohuslav of Svamberk, filling the criteria. And BAM, the question was answered! Good question Timotheus.

Hey, thanks. I had come across this (and other) interesting notes and added them to my paper, but forgotten to send rider the updated version...so, be thankful for Wikipedia! And good job with the dedication -- I couldn't spend several hours just to answer a question LOL

that one wasn't so tough once I got marlene deitrich out of my head. simple search - affair with war hero - second page 11 reply

The question was made easy for me because of a biography I read of Lord Nelson -- it took five seconds of "oh yeah her!! what was her name...?" and ten seconds on Wikipedia for the answer.

And Paracelsus -- I knew his name (as probably a lot of us do) but I had no idea he did all that. Well phrased question, I was sidetracked into Swiss mercenaries.

Edited by Timotheus - 29-Jan-2007 at 21:28
Opium is the religion of the masses.

From each according to his need, to each according to his ability.
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2007 at 10:46
Originally posted by Dawn

c   A special congratulations to Decebal.  That win makes you tied for most wins ever with Serge L. 

This kind of remarks make me feel like an old man turned into legend (stress on oldOuch)

However, congrats, Decebal

I have to find some time to participate to  TQ(s) again, so I will not be just a glory of the past anymore, hopefully. When is the next quiz supposed to have place?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>