Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The modern Turkish military

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Giordano View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Giordano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The modern Turkish military
    Posted: 24-Sep-2008 at 13:39
http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/Turkey-Orders-Russian-Kornet-Anti-Tank-Missiles-05083/

Turkey Orders Russian ‘Kornet’ Anti-Tank Missiles

Defense News reports that Turkey’s recent competition for 80 advanced anti-tank missile launchers and up to 800 missiles has a surprising winner. After reportedly evaluating bids from South Africa’s Denel (Ingwe), Israel’s Rafael (Spike), Raytheon (TOW family), and Russia, the winner is… Russia’s AT-14/9M133 ‘Kornet E’, who walks away with a $70 million contract. The contract is expected to be signed in late August, with deliveries taking place in 2009.

Krasnopol Guided Weapon Systems’ (KBP) AT-14 missiles use laser guidance. The missile itself packs either a tandem shaped-charge warhead for a one-two punch designed to defeat even reactive armor protection; or a thermobaric (fuel/air) warhead that can devastate buildings, fortified positions, or troops or light vehicles caught in its blast radius. Range is up to 5.5 km, or 3.5 km at night. The missiles were reportedly used by Saddam’s commandos during the early phase of Operation Iraqi Freedom, but that has not been verified. It is certain, however, that they were used by Hezbollah during the 2006 war with Israel. States in the region who have ordered AT-14s include Algeria, Morocco, Jordan, and Syria and its proxies.

After Eryx dissatisfaction this order looks like a stopgap solution and i really surprised that someone asks my source cause one year before i asked  the source for Cesar about  Prince Eugine's gun system etc better than Bismarck .Anyway i also wanna see the sources,np.

Edited by Giordano - 26-Sep-2008 at 10:40
War is delightful to those who have had no experience of it.
Desiderius Erasmus
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2008 at 14:11
Links and your viewpoint?
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 15:16
States in the region who have ordered AT-14s include Algeria, Morocco, Jordan, and Syria and its proxies.

Interestingly Greece is not mentioned (does she not belong in that particular region?)
Greece has some 196 (if I make no mistake) Kornets. And some over here are very disappointed with Russia that she sells them to Turkey as well...

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789