Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Could Tari-khana be a pagan Turkish templ

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Could Tari-khana be a pagan Turkish templ
    Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 01:04

Tari-Khana: http://www.itto.org/attraction/attraction.asp?status=showatt raction&attractid=Ta92&prv=smn

As I said here: The oldest mosques, Tari-Khana is the oldest mosque in Iran, it was in fact an ancient Sassanid fire temple that about three hundreds years after Islam was changed to a mosque, but is it possible that it was also used as a temple by Turkish invaders? especillay because Tari-Khana is a Turkish term which means "the house of God".

ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2005 at 12:43

but is it possible that it was also used as a temple by Turkish invaders?

I don't think so because the Turkic peoples didn't have temples for worship (but the Gk Trk people had some sacred caves in Central Mongolia).

especillay because Tari-Khana is a Turkish term which means "the house of God".

Is it?  

[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2005 at 15:33
Wait, your's must be Teri.

Steppes History Forum
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 03:22

ihsan

is the picture in your signeture a Tomb?

Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 05:26

It is a nomad tent...........

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 05:54
Is/Was Tari-Khana or Tenri-Khana just Turkish word for Mosque?
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 06:01

i think Khana means room  in Turkish, persian and Urdo.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 10:12
Originally posted by Alparslan

It is a nomad tent...........

it looks like there is a tomb inside it

Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 00:16

Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Is/Was Tari-Khana or Tenri-Khana just Turkish word for Mosque?

What does it mean tari in Persian? If there is not any meaning  so it could be thought that there may be a relation between Tari and Tengri or Tanri as we called today God in Turksih.

This is really interesting!!!!!!

Edited by Alparslan
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2005 at 06:01

Azimuth, that's a nomadic tent as Alparslan said (with many Turko-Russo-Mongol names like Yurt, Ger, Eb, y, etc).

Cyrus, there are no Turkish words for Mosque. We say "Cmi" to larger mosques and "Mescd" to smaller ones (though actually in Arabic, Masjd and Jmi are used for the same type of building).

Such an expression like "Tanr Evi" or "Teri Ebi" (House of God) doesn't exist in Turkic, at least AFAIK.

Steppes History Forum
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2005 at 10:14
As you know Damghan or as the Greeks called it Hecatompylos (a city with one hundred gates) was once the capital of the Parthian empire, I'm not sure but is possible that "Tari" in Parthian language means "God", this website says that name of the Parthian king Gotarzes (Kuw-tari) means "god of the state." it also says that the name of Vonones was Tutuk-tari but the interesting thing is that it suggests to read: http://www.lostlanguages.com/parthian.htm for name of the Parthian king, with the correct Turkish reading and it's meaning!!
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2005 at 13:17

Teri seems to be a common Altaic word. I suppose Turko-Mongolic Tanr/Teri/Teggri/Tegeri/Teger, Sumerian Dingir, Chinese Tiā, Japanese Tennō, Korean Dangun and Etruscan Tinis/Tins are related, eventhough they have different meanings. In Japanese and Korean, they are legendary founders of those nations, in Etruscan it's used for Iupiter/Zeus and in Sumerian it's a common name for "deity". Now, Turko-Mongol and Chinese have the exact same meaning but Turko-Mongol Teri can be also used as a common word for "deity", just like Sumerian Dingir. Yet I also have to learn the Tungusic and perhaps Elamite equivalents of this term.

Btw, Lost Languages is not a reliable site.

Steppes History Forum
battleaxe View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote battleaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2005 at 20:44
Etruscan is an altaic tongue....really? never heard of such a thing.
Turk View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 22:42

Tari is not Turkish...Much less "tari-khana".

Tanr is Turkish for god or diety. (notice it's the letter  not i).

Besides, the Turks already had their own religion.

Edited by Turk
Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 08:30

To our Persian forumers.........

What does tari mean in Persian? I think there is a meaning related with Turks if I am not mistaken?

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 09:30
Tari mean "Darkness" in Persian but "House of the Darkness" is not a good name for mosque!
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 15:26

Etruscan is an altaic tongue....really? never heard of such a thing.

I didn't say Etruscan was Altaic. I just said the Etruscan name Tinis might have been related with Teri.

Tari is not Turkish...

What does tari mean in Persian? I think there is a meaning related with Turks if I am not mistaken?

Remember that Persian a sounds more similar to Turkish e (but not exactly the same sound, more like the a as in Apple) and Persian sounds more like Turkish a. So "Tari-khne" would be written in Turkish as "Ter-hne".

Tanr is Turkish for god or diety. (notice it's the letter  not i).

But it's "Tanr" only in Anatolian Turkish, it's Teri, Tegri, Teger, Tegeri, etc in other dialects/languages.

Steppes History Forum
 Post Reply Post Reply