Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Major League Baseball 2007 season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Major League Baseball 2007 season
    Posted: 20-Jan-2007 at 15:53
I enjoy watching Major League Baseball when I get the chance.  The 2007 season in my opinion should be quite exciting to see unfold, especially with all of the interesting trades and free agent signings that have taken place in the offseason.  Also, the results of last year's playoffs and World Series gives us an indication of which teams might be good this year.

Please discuss your predictions, hopes, and doubts about the MLB 2007 season.  What team(s) do you like and will be rooting for?  Players?  Who will be the top hitters (average, homeruns, RBI's) and pitchers?

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2007 at 18:43
Come on, doesn't anyone here watch baseball?  Please don't tell me that the only sport anyone likes is soccer! LOL  Just kidding.  Anyways, I'll get the ball rolling with this one.

My favorite teams are the Athletics, Tigers, Blue Jays, and the Reds. Several of these teams have obtained some interesting prospects for the 2007 season. The Athletics received Mike Piazza, who will become their designated hitter in place of Frank Thomas, who I was sad to see go. Nevertheless, the Blue Jays picked up Frank Thomas as a free agent; it will be interesting to see him play for Toronto. The Tigers got Gary Sheffield in a trade from the Yankees. Now they have a definite prospect who can hit over 30 home runs a year. Ordonez and Monroe have the ability, I think, to hit over 30 home runs, but it will be really interesting to see all three of them in the line up.

vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2007 at 16:34
I think you ought to have started a topic about Football instead (Gridiron). Americans like more football than baseball besides its not baseball season yet... as far as I know LOL.
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2007 at 00:05
It' almost baseball season Yankee pitchers and catchers report for spring training about 2/14
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2007 at 00:50
Gotta go with the Braves, even though each year they become less and less like the team I fell in love with. I hope John Smoltz still has a bit left in the tank. He got 200 strikeouts for the first time in a decade last year; is another Cy Young too much to ask? Wink

I also like the Reds, Byz. Do they still have Griffey?

-Akolouthos
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2007 at 01:06
Originally posted by Akolouthos

Gotta go with the Braves, even though each year they become less and less like the team I fell in love with. I hope John Smoltz still has a bit left in the tank. He got 200 strikeouts for the first time in a decade last year; is another Cy Young too much to ask?

They Braves used to be a heck of a team, kind of like the Yankees have been the last few years (before being whipped by the Tigers LOL ).  But they have since lost many of the pitchers and some big hitters to retirement and trades.  I remember the glory days of Smoltz, Avery, Maddux, Justice, and Gant!  Nevertheless, I think Smoltz still has some good days left.  In the batting department, Andruw Jones is one monster of a hitter - I wonder if he will hit over 50 homeruns again?

I also like the Reds, Byz. Do they still have Griffey?

Yes, they still have Griffey, who still has some punch left if he stays healthy.  I am really looking forward to see how Adam Dunn is going to do hitting.  He has the potential to put up some big numbers.  I'm a little worried about the Reds' pitching; they seem quite young and inexperienced with no real leader on staff.

Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2007 at 01:52
Adam Dunn is that curly red-haired guy, right? As I recall, he hit several game winning homeruns (and a grand slam or two, if I am correct) last season. Heck of a player. May God grant Griffey good health. I was disgusted several years back when the Cincy fans were laughing and booing him as he lay on the ground clutching his leg. I understand they are upset, but there was a better way to voice that. I would really like to see him get back to early to mid-nineties Griffey status.

I don't know if Jones will ever hit over 50 again. Honestly, I was fairly surprised two years ago when he led the league. He's definitely great, so I guess I hope he impresses me. Smoltz did much, much better than I thought he would last year--especially with as many elbow surgeries as he has had, not to mention the shoulder problems at the end of 2005. I truly savor every game I get to see him pitch, and pray the God will continue to keep him healthy and living his dream (and my dream for him Wink) for a while longer.

I miss Mazzoni. I think Smoltz is fine without him, but I really think he could help a lot of the younger guys the Braves are going to be forced to increasingly turn to. Keep in mind that had it not been for horrible relief, the Braves would have won at least a dozen more games last season--at very least. I'm really glad they got that closer...what's his name? Is he back this year?

Here's a question: Care to venture a preseason prediction for the final two teams?

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 23-Jan-2007 at 01:54
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2007 at 02:16

Adam Dunn is that curly red-haired guy, right? As I recall, he hit several game winning homeruns (and a grand slam or two, if I am correct) last season. Heck of a player.

Yep, that's him, playing first base.  He has the build of a football player (6' 6", 275 lbs), and, before going pro, was actually going to play it at University of Texas but decided on baseball instead!  He has hit 40 homeruns the past few years so it will be interesting to see how many he hits this year.

May God grant Griffey good health. I was disgusted several years back when the Cincy fans were laughing and booing him as he lay on the ground clutching his leg. I understand they are upset, but there was a better way to voice that. I would really like to see him get back to early to mid-nineties Griffey status.

Me too!

Smoltz did much, much better than I thought he would last year--especially with as many elbow surgeries as he has had, not to mention the shoulder problems at the end of 2005. I truly savor every game I get to see him pitch, and pray the God will continue to keep him healthy and living his dream (and my dream for him Wink) for a while longer.

Yeah, it is amazing the beating pitcher's upper bodies take over a long career.  Along with Smoltz with the Braves, I want to see how Kenny Rogers holds up with the Tigers this year.  He is another good veteran pitcher.  He is the perfect leader for the young, fire-throwing Tigers pitching staff.

Here's a question: Care to venture a preseason prediction for the final two teams?

It's a tough one.  I think the Tigers have a good chance to make it again.  They will probably have to face the Yankees again, which will be an explosive rematch.  Also, I think the Athletics might make it too.  For the National League, it will probably end up being the Cardinals again.  They did not lose anyone major to free agency, so they basically have the World Series team back again.  How about you?

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 00:56
So is anyone still following baseball or am I the only one?

It is pretty amazing to see how Alex Rodriguez has hit 12 homeruns and driven in 30 RBI's and we're not even out of the month of April!  At this rate, 2-3 HR every few games, he could be miles past Bonds' single-season record of 73 by the end of the season.  Anyone want to take a guess at how many he will have by the All Star break?  At the end of the season?

Despite A-Rod's superhuman hitting, I am still rooting for Nick Swisher and Adam Dunn as contenders for the homerun crown. Big%20smile

Kaysaar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kaysaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 08:17
Go Red Sox!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 08:45
Go Baseball!  Yankees, Red sox, Phils, Thunder, Mud Hens, Ernies Body Shop Giants.  I don't care.  Baseball is Baseball.  It's Spring ands it's time.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 10:17
I thought this year World Series will feature international teams from Japan, Mexico...etc
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 11:39
Originally posted by ok ge

I thought this year World Series will feature international teams from Japan, Mexico...etc

I think thats something different,  it was played last year also.  The US got their butt kicked early and weren't in the finals.Cry

MLB international is working on it though.  The first pro league in the Middle East starts up this year.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 13:49
Baseball is as much absorbing as 100 Meters Hurdle-Knitting.
Old , fat men with wodden canes are running over molehills.
A guy, looking like a samurai-fighter, is watching that the balls wouldn't pass by, nobody knows why.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 13:53
Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

A guy, looking like a samurai-fighter, is watching that the balls wouldn't pass by, nobody knows why.

Go rain on someone else's parade! LOL

Let me guess, UVH is a soccer fan? Tongue

Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 14:58
Originally posted by red clay

Go Baseball! Yankees, Red sox, Phils, Thunder, Mud Hens, Ernies Body Shop Giants. I don't care. Baseball is Baseball. It's Spring ands it's time.

Damn right. I love the spring weather and thank god the rain and the windy cold is finally over!! And so much stuff goin on. The Mets are doing great, the Yanks and their third game against Boston is today. I love this time of year!
King Kang of Mu View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
(Foot)Balling DJ from da Eastside

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2007 at 01:13
Tigers vs Mets in WS?  Tigers have better pitching and they are gonna get Rogers and Zumaya back.  Then again Mets will have Pedro back, too. 
Defense is the part of the game overlooked most often, but if you consider how a crucial error affects the pitcher.  Mets win this battle.     
Hitting?  Both are amazing.  Not just star players but also the depth in the bottom of their lineup is what separates them from others.  I like Milwaukee,  Cleveland,  Angels  as my dark horses,  Yankees won't even make the playoff.

http://www.allempires.net/forum/forums.html
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2007 at 14:38
Baseball is by far my favorite sport (besides nordic skiing that isBig%20smile).  If the Twins make it into the playoffs this year for the love of god don't make us play the Yankees or A's.  We still haven't recovered from that pathetic performance against the A's in the playoffs last year.  Anyone outside of Minnesota think the Twins have a shot at the World Series?Ermm

As a side note if Griffey had stayed healthy he would have been the one chasing Aaron, even now he is twice the player Bonds is and he isn't a cheating jackass.

Edited by Justinian - 13-Jul-2007 at 14:40
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2007 at 13:21
Originally posted by Justinian

As a side note if Griffey had stayed healthy he would have been the one chasing Aaron, even now he is twice the player Bonds is and he isn't a cheating jackass.

A-rod will pass them all. I've never liked him since his days in Seattle. But he is extremely consistent and not so injury prone.

I've been a Red Sox fan since 1979 and pretty sure they'll make the playoffs this year. They have a real easy next 30 days schedule. I dont think they'll take the series though unless they get real hot at the end of the year. Something they rarely do.

American league will be Red Sox, Angels, Tigers. Tigers really look like they have all the tools to make it to the series again. Wild card will be close between the Indians,Mariners or maybe the Twins sneaking in if they can stay healthy and get hot. Yankees are out this year. And will have a big shakeup in the off season. Time to rebuild IMO.
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
ChickenShoes View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote ChickenShoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2007 at 13:51
Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

old fat men running over mole hills? I think that is a rather misguided view of baseball. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean its invalid or silly. I love baseball, I love to play it and I love to watch it. I don't like to watch football or basketball, I think they are boring as hell but they take skill and have their merits. Also to answer the previous question, I predict the Yankees better continue to pick up the pace or I will murder everything.
It is not enough that I succeed - everyone else must fail
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>