Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bulgaria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
Author
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bulgaria
    Posted: 02-Jan-2005 at 17:45
Do you know anything about Bulgaria?
It will be a pleasure for me to intodoce my country
Bulgaria is the second eurpean country which exist untill our days and the first slavs' country. In the ancient times bulgarian language was an official diplomatic language. Bulgarians culture exerted influance upon Russian and Serbian ones. Bulgaria was created by khan Asparuh in 681. The greatest bulgarian king (tzar) during the First Bulgarian Empire (681-1018) is Simeon I the Great. During the rule of him Bulgaria included the whole territories of today's Romania, Moldova, Serbia, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Greece and a parts from Hungary, Bosnia and european Turkey. His ruling is called the golden epoch. He once for all put the Christianity as national religion and wage many wars on Byzantium and compeled the Byzantine emperor Roman Lapkin  to recognized him as a amperor of bulgarians and byzantines also compeler Byzantina patriarch to recognized an independence of bulgarian church. After Simeon Bulgaria was being ruled by Peter I (Byzantium officialy recognized  that Bulgaria is  tzarstvo (empire)), Samuel I, Aaron, Ivan Vladislav (last two ruled around 10 years). During the rule of last bulgarian was conquered by Bassilii II who after the batlle of villiage Kluch captured one bulgarian army, and blinded the whole army as left one with one eye to led the army to Bulgarian tzar (Samuel I who when saw them deid from hart attack)
  The greatest tzar of the Second Bulgarian Empire (1185-1396) is Ivan II Asen. During his ruling Bulgaria became one of the great powers in europen southeast.
The greatest bulgarian's enemy during the first and second empire is Byzatium
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 23:54
Good post, I have a Bulgarian uncle however he doesnt talk nearly much about history then he does math or psychology stuff like that....I am aware this is irrelevant.
pytheas View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote pytheas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 13:11
Thanks for the information, Tzar!  I do get tired of reading only of western Europe in the Medieval era.  It seems that anything east of the HRE (Holy Roman Empire) gets forgotten or at least buried.  I'd like to encourace more Eastern Euopeans to share their histories of the period.
Truth is a variant based upon perception. Ignorance is derived from a lack of insight into others' perspectives.
Imperatore Dario I View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2005 at 13:08
Im glad someone here wants to talk about the Bulgarian Empire. Its a really interesting kingdom, and if you can post some links, I greatly appreciate that!

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2005 at 20:56
whatw as more powerful a Bulgarian Empire, or a Serbian Empire under Dusan? I know Bulgarians gave lots of trouble to Byzantine's I don't really kow much about it though.
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2005 at 22:11
Well, Sarmata, it really depends on which time period you are referring to.  Like any other people, we have at times been strong, and at times been weak.

As for links, there is always the wikipedia.  However, I have noticed that it has become abused lately.  Nevertheless, here is the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Bulgaria

What information about Bulgaria are you exactly interested in?
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2005 at 03:20
well basically during the times when they made Byzantines worry, if thats accurate Im pretty sure there was Byzantine emperor whow as famous for killing Bulgarians, Basil was it? Im really not too good with Byzantine history, or bUlgarian, but I am interested in how Bulgarians rose to power where they made Byzantines fear them and what happened to the BUlgarian empire?
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2005 at 12:27

Well, the largest reason for the Bulgarians to be an irritation to the Byzantines was that they (we), from the founding of Danube Bulgaria, grew in size at the expense of the Byzantine Empire.  However, they (under Justinian II) could not do much about it, and after a defeat, they recognized the Bulgarian state in 681 A.D., and the Byzantine Empire even had to pay a yearly tax to the Bulgarian nation.  So, even from the beginning, the Bulgarians irritated the Byzantines quite a lot.

Now, as the Bulgarian textbooks (and most others, I believe) go, in this nation there lived Slavs, Bulgars, and Thracians.  At its helm was Han Asparuh, son of Han Kubrat, leader of Great Bulgaria, which was situated north of the Black Sea (which disbanded on his death, some Bulgars going to form Volga Bulgaria, others Danube Bulgaria, etc).

What made Byzantines fear Bulgarians?  Probably the constant threat of a powerful enemy so close to the capital.  It was besieged by Bulgarians many times, and Tzar Simeon even proclaimed himself ruler of Bulgarians and Byzantines, a title which wasn't challenged.

As for the Byzantine Emperor famous for killing Bulgarians, it was Basil II.  He massacred thousands of Bulgarians after a victorious battle in 1014, and ordered 14,000 Bulgarian soldiers to be blinded and sent back to their country (for every 100, he left one soldier with only one eye, so that he could lead them).  So people called him Basil the "Bulgar-Slayer".  After this battle, Bulgaria fell under Byzantine yoke for about 150 years. 

In 1185, Peter Asen lead a revolt, and took the title Tzar Peter II (Bulgarian rulers called themselves Tzars starting with Simeon the Great).  To make a long story short, the Bulgarians again received independence.

Anyways, Bulgarian history is classified into parts usually, First Bulgarian Empire, Byzantine rule, Second Bulgarian Empire, Turkish rule, and modern Bulgaria (that is really over-simplyfying things, but it gives you a rough picture).

Anyways, there is a lot of history in Bulgaria, intrigue, power, religion, powerful fortresses, majestic capitals (ok, ok, don't blame me that I'm a bit stereotypic, you would be too), that I can't even begin to describe it all in one post.

Edited by Kubrat
-William Shakespeare
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2005 at 17:52
First about Serbia and Bulgaria- As Kubrat said it depends of the period which we are talking about. But during the time of Stefan Dushan Serbia rose as one of the greatest power in balkan district. He ruled Serbia from 1331 to 1355 so this is also the time when Bulgaria rose again after 60-70 years of economic and politic decline. After some copus on Bulgarian throne came tzar Ivan Aleksandyr. He was ruling Bulgaria about 40 years and he waged many wars on Byzantium and not one on Serbia. This peace became deeper with Dushan's wedding for Ivan Aleksandyr's sister - Elena. So I can't tell you which country was more powerful!
About rising of Bulgarian empire- As you understoond Bulgaria was founded by khan Asparuh with help of 7 slavs tribes and locac thracains. After him Bulgaria was ruling of his son Therevel. This is a time with deep peace between Bulgaria and Byzantuim. Therevel also helped Buzantine emperor in his war against the Arabians as won a battle under the wall of Conastantinopol. For this he received a title cesar and strategy territory around  town  Verea.
With his death Bulgaria is fallen in period on dynasty's crisis, which ended when on the throne came khan Krum. With him began the rising of Bulgarian empire. He coquered many territories and issued the first Bulgarian laws. Also Krum remaied in hsitory as Krum The Terrible because of one  war against Byzantium - after a battle emperor Nikifor was killed and from his skull Krum made a cup and drunk from it during the celebration of winning. Now this sound very scary and difficult for understanding but  for Bulgarians that was a big honour. Now we don't do such  things.
With his death bulgarian throne is inherited from Omurtag. That was a time of big crisis in Byzantium so emperor concluded a peace treaty with Bulgaria about 40 years. Omurtag's government made Bulgaria stronger and prepared it for next years of continuously wars against Byzantium, Serbian and Hungarian tribes.
 One of the most interesting ruler of Bulgaria is Boris-Michael. This is the ruler who adopted the christianity as national religion. Also made Bulgarian church independent from Constantinopol's Patriarch and Rome's Pope (this act is completely done from his son Simeon the Great). Also he established the Currilic as national alphabet with help of St. Cyril and Methodius' students. The Bulgarian historians consider that St Cyril and Methodius are bulgarians, because of Methodius' words that he is a slav from family closed to the emperor's one. At this time Bulgaria is the only slavs country. In this way were created bulgarians as nation,, because  untill then Bulgaria was presented as  a mess from slavs, bulgarians and thracians who were speaking different languages and had different gods
here you are another link for Bulgarian history

Edited by tzar
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2005 at 17:58
ops i forgot the links
www.bulgaria.com/history/bulgaria/
www.eunet.bg/books/history/

blagodaria na Kubrat za pomoshta
Jorsalfar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Jorsalfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2005 at 18:00

Nessebur in Bulgaria is such a beatiful city.

Ill have to travel to Bulgaria soon.

tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2005 at 13:51
Welcome!
You won't be  sorry for this!
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2005 at 14:22
Niama zashto tzar 
-William Shakespeare
cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 21:47
I have a question. What is the relation between present Bulgaria and Bulgares?

There was people called Bulgares and they had two kingdoms (one on the shores of Volga another Danube) at some point and I thought they were turco-altaique tribes (related to Turcs).
How Slavs came into the picture?
I enjoy this thread.
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 07:17

Ah it's a long story! I will try to make it short

Yes Bulgars are turco-alataique tribes. Theirs motherland were around Altai (i think in Kazahstan). During the great migration of people they (Bulgars) populated the area north of Black sea and founded there a counrty named Great Old Bulgaria. This country existed untill 7 century i think when broke down under atacks of Hazars (i don't know thier name in anglish). At the time Bulgaria was ruling from khan Kubrat, he had (i think) 5 sons or more!Some of them stayed there and fought against the Hazars and others like Asparuh, Kotarg,Vund deceided to went somewhere else and Asparuh came here and founded today's Bulgaria. Kotarg went to area of Volga and founded there a country Volgka Bulgaria which was existing untill XV century. Vund went in today's Turkey  around lake Van and others in Italy. When bulgars came here theses territories were populated from slavs and thracians, so they want to be independent from Buzatium and joined in an union agist them, because slavs were more than bulgars and tharacains they assimilated others nation in the course of time.

tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 07:45
This is the short version of these events.
I hope ro understand me because my english sometimes is awful
cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 10:38
Originally posted by tzar

I did understand you and thank you for a very nice explanation. It does look like Bulgaria has an exciting history.

Edited by cavalry4ever
Jorsalfar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Jorsalfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 13:58

Originally posted by cavalry4ever

Originally posted by tzar

I did understand you and thank you for a very nice explanation. It does look like Bulgaria has an exciting history.

Indeed.I should study it more closer

Edited by Jorsalfar
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 15:39

If you want you can try these links

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/History%20of%20Bul garia

http://home.no.net/bhb1/bg-h03e.htm

or search in historychannel for bulgaria.

I like the most first link. There are also list of bulgarians rulers (on bottom)

or go on http://www.bulgaria.com/history/bulgaria/

or just type on google history of bulgaria. Also can try to search for macedionian question. this is a link about it

http://www.hri.org/docs/macque/text2.html

Macedonian question is a very painful topic about us Bulgarians

Edited by tzar
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 19:48
Everyone here should keep in mind that, as in all countries and nations, the history has been influenced by the whims of politicians...

Many ideas that were promoted during communist Bulgaria were promoted with a purpose, not just because they thought they were correct (this of course, has happened in every country around the world). Archaeologists primarily focused on the Slav part of our heritage. (because of the obvious ties to Russia)

I say this because many new discoveries are being made in Bulgaria these days, concerning the Bulgars and the Thracians. For example, this 500g gold mask, found in Bulgaria, signifies that we might have much more heritage from the Thracians than we realized.

Anyways, with that said, here is a link which I find very good:

http://vesselka.freeservers.com/Bulg.htm#encyclopaedia

Edited by Kubrat
-William Shakespeare
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>