Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bulgaria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
Author
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bulgaria
    Posted: 30-Jan-2005 at 20:23
people last warning : Please keep the discussion on topic and civil of this thread will follow the way of many others at this moment. It would be a shome to have this end in such an undignified manner.
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2005 at 20:30
You're right Dawn, I apologize if any of my remarks were offending to anyone.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
Rava View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Rava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2005 at 10:51
Well, if some Polovcy (Kumans) joined Bulgars, its possible that some Bulgars could be "yellow" in terms of hair color. . Kumans means probably "yellow hair people" in ugro-altaic languages.
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2005 at 17:37

Well, actually, my cousin is blonde, and so was his dad. 
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
Hellinas View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Hellinas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2005 at 21:00
Originally posted by Yiannis

Here's Ioannes Skylitzes' record of the battle

The emperor blinded the Bulgarian captives -- around 15 000 they say -- and he ordered every group of one hundred to be led back to Samuel by a one-eyed man. A

Actually the action of blinding the Bulgarian soldiers is said to have been a lenient form of punishment, since treason was punished by death.
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2005 at 10:53

Temperary locked because some can't stop flaming.

Edit: I cleaned up the last page of this thread and unlocked it. Now please feel free to continue with discussion on topic. but any indication of continued flamming will result in a permanent closure. Thank you for your cooperation.

Edited by Dawn
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 13:26

Thank you.

That really is the best which you can do!

What were we talking about?

KurganRatnik View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote KurganRatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 13:35
Very fascinating
'endow your greatest fears'-Kpt. Danylo Kurkowicz
Thracian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Thracian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 20:27

This is 'Velic Ternovo' (today) - capital during 1185-1393 A.D. second bulgarian kingdom

tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 02:36

Originally posted by Rava

Well, if some Polovcy (Kumans) joined Bulgars, its possible that some Bulgars could be "yellow" in terms of hair color. . Kumans means probably "yellow hair people" in ugro-altaic languages.

Actually Bulgaria has been ruling by Kumans dynasty - Terter /Eagle/. And quite Kumans have settled in Bulgaria!

Thracian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Thracian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2005 at 04:11

The kumans dynasty - the tsars did have bulgarian in them right?

tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2005 at 07:08
I've answered to you but not in english! Yes Bulgarians had them in right. The first tsar from this dynasty - Geogre I Terter was one of most powerful boliars in Bulgaria at this time and others boliars hoped that he could stop Ivailo /or Ivailo's uprising/. His son Teodor Svetoslav is one of the greatest Bulgarians tsars. Actually kumans were used as allies from most of Bulgarian tsars - Asen I, Kalo'an, Ivan Asen II and etc. They populeted territories of today's south Romania and until 12 century this territories were part of Bulgaria.

Edited by tzar
Red_Lord View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Red_Lord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 07:41

In a Bulgarian song is said:"beutiful girl,kuman girl".

This can be sign that kumans were high,blond and beautiful people.I'am also blond-brown.And a big percent of bulgars+macedonian bulgars are blond or with brown hairs.

"The slave is fighting for freedom,free is fighting for perfectness"
Yane Sandanski
Red_Lord View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Red_Lord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2005 at 02:34
TZAR,HAPPY BIRTHDAY
"The slave is fighting for freedom,free is fighting for perfectness"
Yane Sandanski
Monteleone View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Monteleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2005 at 17:20

Hello all,

Perhaps someone can help me? I'm searching for information on Salan or Zalan the bulgarian duke who had his capital in Titel.

Any info would be helpful

Thanks

Edited by Monteleone
giani_82 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote giani_82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2005 at 03:13

Salan or Zalan was, according to the Gesta Hungarorum, a Bulgarian Duke who ruled in the territory of present day Vojvodina in the 9th century. He ruled in the territory of Backa, between Danube and Tisa rivers and capital city of his Dukedom was Titel.

He was vassal of Bulgaria, but we cant say for sure was he of Bulgarian origin or from local Slavic population. It is possible that he was descendant of Great Kean, a Bulgarian ruler who conquered territory between Danube and Tisa.

His name might not be real. There is theory that his name means "the salt man", so it could be a name given to him by the authors of the chronicles, describing the role he had: supplying salt for his suzerain (Simeon the Great, Bulgarian Emperor).

At the time of Hungarian conquest (in 896), Bulgarian Emperor Simeon came to the aid to Duke Salan and even the Byzantine Emperor sent auxiliary troops against the Hungarians. Hungarians defeated Bulgarians and Byzantines in the early 10th century and Dukedom of Salan fall under Hungarian rule.

Main historical source about duke Salan is historical chronicle known as Gesta Hungarorum, written by Peter, a high priest in Buda, during the time of Hungarian King Bela III in the late 12th century. The 10th century Lombard chronicler, Liudprand, also wrote about a Hungarian victory over Bulgarians and Byzantines in the early 10th century.

------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------

This is from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zalan

There you could see an image of his province. For sure it doesn't sound like a slavic name.

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall."
Confucius
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2005 at 03:48

"Main historical source about duke Salan is historical chronicle known as Gesta Hungarorum"

1. The only source.

2. The Gesta Hungarorum is not a chronicle. It is a gesta, which is genre of literature. Basically it is the medieval form of historical novel.

Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Monteleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2005 at 10:30

Ok Raider,

I see you are from Hungary.

How would you like to translate the Anonymus Gesta Hungarorum into English? I would be happy to pay you. I've been trying to find an English copy for several years but it's just not there.

Here is a  Hungarian version: http://mek.oszk.hu/02200/02245/02245.htm

Edited by Monteleone
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2005 at 12:26

Monteleone:

Sorry, I can't help you. My English knowledge is limited, and I have other obligations.

I think you can order it from:

http://www.ceupress.com/books/html/CEMTVol1GestaHungarorum.h tml

or

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/9639116319/102 -8031216-2774559?v=glance

Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Monteleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2005 at 00:02
Originally posted by Raider

Monteleone:

Sorry, I can't help you. My English knowledge is limited, and I have other obligations.

I think you can order it from:

http://www.ceupress.com/books/html/CEMTVol1GestaHungarorum.h tml

or

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/9639116319/102 -8031216-2774559?v=glance

This one is from Simon of Keza. I have a copy of this. I was looking for the one by the Anonymous chronicler written about 1125. If you kow of anyone that may be interested, let me know

Or if anyone knows of primary sources for the Bulgarian Emperor that conquered north of the Danube prior to the Magyars arrival?

Thanks.

Edited by Monteleone
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>