Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CPKI and KPR in South Korea

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chimx View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote chimx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CPKI and KPR in South Korea
    Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 17:39
For Korean scholars on this forum, how much influence do you feel the CPKI (later the KPR) held in liberated Korea?  Obviously this would change from county to county, city to city--but generally, would you view it as a political entity with some potential had the United States, under the leadership of Hodge, not squashed all groups antithetical to American interests in the south?
"Hegel says somewhere that great historic facts and personages recur twice. He forgot to add: 'Once as tragedy, and again as farce.'" -Karl Marx
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 22:36

What do they stand for anyway? I studied Korean history in Korean (Make sense...) and this English initial is quite unfamiliar to me. I know that Korean resistance, especially in Manchuria, was quite efficient. In fact, even Japanese armies divided in factions to weaken themselves. Of course, more Japanese reinforcement came and when Korean resistance's supplies began to run low... they fled deeper into China where they continued to show resistance to Japanese armies with China's support.

Inside Korea, it is a different story. Based on the belief that violence should not be solved by violence... the Buddists encouraged a peaceful protest against Japanese occuptation. Their march was so organized that until Japanese attacked with guns, they could do little to stop their march. It's when the peaceful Korean march accidently ran over the Japanese guard, the Japanese saw this as a violent revolt (Whether that was actually the case or the Japanese army just made that up for excuse, I am not sure. I think Japanese made it up because in order to be trampled by Korean march, the Japanese victims must confront the Buddist priests that were in the front of the march. They are physically weak, and I doubt they would be strong enough to make any harm to fully-trained Japanese troops.

Whatever happened, the Japanese officers ordered the protestors to be arrested. They used guns to break the formation of the march, leaving many innocent lives to die. Some continued with the march, and they were arrested or shot to death. Some fled, hoping for another peaceful march or joining the resistance.

Despite Korea's heroic resistance, US would have still taken over Korea easily. To protect Japan and the Pacific, Korea must be controlled by capitalist power to ensure that Communist expansion stop there. United States and Japanese Empire are tiger and wolf situation. United States were hardly better than Japan. They do not care a damn thing about our nation. They are using us for war against Communism and China, nothing more.

Join us.
chimx View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote chimx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2007 at 13:58
The CPKI stood for the Committee for the Preparation of Korean Independence.  This was a body organized by a guy named name Lyuh Woon-hyung (Yo Un-hung).  basically Japan knew they were going to have to surrender towards the end of the war, and in the days leading up to their surrender they approahced both Lyuh, as well as Song Ch'in-wu, to organize a Korean body to handle the transition of governance--since obviously Japanese imperialism in Korea following WWII wasn't going to persist.

So while Song declined to participate, Lyuh got together with a bunch of Korean independence activists and organized the CPKI.  They reached out to local Korean communities, and acted as basic units of Korean governance directly after Korea's liberation from Japan.  CPKI groups occupied Japanese factories, they governed local communities, and discussed the future of Korea's government.  There were reportedly at least150 such committees throughout Korea by August of 1945.

Literally days before the American Government landed in Korea to occupy it (still with the FDR policy of having a trusteeship over the country), the CPKI held a national congress and decided to form the Korean People's Republic (KPR).  Though in this election, the Left tended to dominate, the congress did opt to elect Syngman Rhee to president (though Rhee was still in the USA at the time).

Of course, the USA still was fixated on the notion of a Korea trusteeship.  General Hodge of the military command governing Korea took steps to squash the Korean People's Republic, enacted repressive labor laws, censored the Korean press, and jailed a great deal of political prisoners.  In fact, in the UN delegation that went to Korea years later to oversee national elections, the Syrian representative voiced protest over the amounts of amount of political prisoners the American government had thrown behind bars.

This policy would of course then cause the tragedy on Cheju island, as well as play into the hands of the civil strife which led up to the Korean War. 

United States were hardly better than Japan. They do not care a damn thing about our nation. They are using us for war against Communism and China, nothing more.

I agree completely.  If one thing has remained true for American-Korean relations, it is that the United States, though at times pushing for political liberalization, ultimately was guided by the policy of security and stability on the Korean peninsula.  Thus democracy was subjugated to Cold War security concerns.  This attitude is what allowed for the repressive regime's of Rhee, Park, and Chun.  Even the "altruistic" Carter administration wasn't capable of shying away from this policy during Park's Yushin despotism.

I'm currently working on a paper dealing with America's Korea policy since WW2, and how it led up to the Kwangju Uprising--in particular looking at American press coverage of the events and how it is indicative of a broader American sentiment, not simply limited to the US government.  I was thinking about submitting it to the AE magazine when its done.

Edited by chimx - 15-Jan-2007 at 14:51
"Hegel says somewhere that great historic facts and personages recur twice. He forgot to add: 'Once as tragedy, and again as farce.'" -Karl Marx
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 21:37

Good for you.Clap I should be following your example of noble cause... but I am too lazy that I just leave a bits of posts here and there...Embarrassed

Join us.
Sonagi View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Sonagi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 19:22
deleted by author

Edited by Sonagi - 11-Feb-2007 at 17:02
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 20:19

Curse the foreigners. First China, then Japan, Mongol, China, Japan, Russian, then Japan again... now America. Seriously, it's no wonder that Korea wasn't able to make a lot of contribution to the world like Britain or America. We can't even take care of ourselves...

Join us.
Siege Tower View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 20:28
wow,  pakau, how did mongols got involved?
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2007 at 02:46
Originally posted by chimx

I'm currently working on a paper dealing with America's Korea policy since WW2, and how it led up to the Kwangju Uprising--in particular looking at American press coverage of the events and how it is indicative of a broader American sentiment, not simply limited to the US government.  I was thinking about submitting it to the AE magazine when its done.
This sounds very interesting, i look forward to this contribution.
Sonagi View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Sonagi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2007 at 10:16
deleted by author

Edited by Sonagi - 11-Feb-2007 at 17:03
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 23:11
Originally posted by Sonagi

Originally posted by pekau

Curse the foreigners. First China, then Japan, Mongol, China, Japan, Russian, then Japan again... now America. Seriously, it's no wonder that Korea wasn't able to make a lot of contribution to the world like Britain or America. We can't even take care of ourselves...

If you can't even take care of yourselves, whose fault is that?  Why curse foreigners instead of your own failed leadership?

I like to blame others, it's quite convinent and makes you feel better.

Just kidding. I won't deny that. Most of South Koreans... I don't want to type this shameful paragraph again. See my second latest post in http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15238&PN=10

Join us.
Easternknight View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Easternknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 17:05
Originally posted by Siege Tower

wow,  pakau, how did mongols got involved?

I would think the Mongol Invasions of Koryo Dynasty. Tongue

and Pekau while I agree with a fair number of your posts about being self-reflective which many members and on occasion myself do not do, especially on South Korean Education you often seem to be extremely critical of Koreans.

Sonagi View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Sonagi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 19:43

deleted by author

Edited by Sonagi - 11-Feb-2007 at 17:03
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 16:59
The problem with the US is, that they have no sentiment for foreign countries and their history. During the Yalta conference in 1945 the US arranged a hidden deal with the Russians: Russia should join the war against Japan and capture all Japanese soldiers on the 'Asian mainland' while the US wanted to capture all Japanese soldiers in 'Japan'. This is the reason for the tragedy of todays devided Korea, as in the mind of the US, Korea had been part of 'Japan', because it had not been occupied by Japan during World War II (like for instance the Philippines), but much earlier in 1910. Therefor the Russian army and the US army were surprised to meet each other in the center of Korea in the region of the 38th degree of latitude. There was no compelling reason for any of the two armies to draw back their trops from Korea, as both armies had perfectly met the requirements of the Yalta deal. All later events were fruits of the beginning Cold War between Russia/China and the USA and could not really be influenced by the Korean people.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 18:59

If you can't even take care of yourselves, whose fault is that?  Why curse foreigners instead of your own failed leadership?

I like to blame others, it's quite convinent and makes you feel better.

Just kidding. I won't deny that. Most of South Koreans... I don't want to type this shameful paragraph again. See my second latest post in http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15238&PN=10

I hope you're sincere, Pekau. 

It's interesting that you compare Korea unfavorably to Britain with regard to making "contributions" to the world.  Did you know that Britain was invaded more times in its history than Korea?  It's true!  Britain wasn't always a powerful country.  2,000 years ago, it was an isolated outpost of the Roman Empire; then it was invaded by Angles from Denmark and Saxons from Germany, who were replaced by the Vikings and then the Normans.  In the Middle Ages, the royal family and ruling class in England spoke French.  Britain did not begin to make its ascent on the world stage until it was spared an invasion when the Spanish armada was wrecked in a storm in the 1500s. 

A key difference between Britain and Korea isn't foreign interference but rather interaction and engagement versus isolation.  

Before I get started, many English nobles spoke French because France was the centre of learning in Middle Age. And English nobles weren't the only one. German nobles and Russian nobles... heck many nobles and educated men spoke French. Does this not explain why French Revolution happened in France? Many of the middle class challenged and used the commoners to overthrow the nobles. French was universal language at that time...

I think the Britain is more similar to Japan, rather than Korea. Unlike Britain, Korea was attached to the Asian continent, where Chinese influence was huge. Britain, after being invaded many times after Romans left the England for good, slowly emerged as one nation since their culture were pretty similar. Due to English Channel, England was relatively isolated from others. Korea was not so fortunate. We were raided by Japanese pirates and China's threat numerous times that was unavoidable. So did Britain, yes... but I don't think Britain ever encountered a foe like China. Though their unification came relatively after... their powers were probably more threat to Korea than England being threatened by France. The interesting thing about European history is that no one was too powerful enough so that one power would be able to dictate the continent's affair. Balance of power.

Look at Korea's case. We have huge China that could easily conquer us... Japanese pirates that Korean government did not even bother... at least Britain had some decent navy to counter Spanish Armada like Yi Sunshin countering Japanese invaders... but against many populat misonception, there were few ships that sank at all.  A quote from Pinguin...

Originally posted by pinguin

Nope. Look at the impact of the "British victory"

British Casualties

500 dead or wounded

Spanish:

600 dead,
397 captured
3 merchant ships sunk
1 merchant ship captured

The rest is fantasy LOL

Pinguin

And yes, Sonagi. I believe that I am sincere, and when I am not. Let me know. My intensions are noble, I hope. And if what I said is a lie, then I am constantly trying to improve on my character.

Join us.
Sonagi View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Sonagi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 19:17

deleted by author

Edited by Sonagi - 11-Feb-2007 at 17:04
Sonagi View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Sonagi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 19:25
deleted by author

Edited by Sonagi - 11-Feb-2007 at 17:04
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 19:39

Fantomtime,

Had the US not entered the Korean peninsula in 1945, then all of the Korean peninsula likely would have fallen under the rule of KIS, who was backed by the Russians. 

South Koreans can have reunification tomorrow if they submit to the rule of the North, which would have governed the entire peninsula since 1945 if the US had not intervened. 

Which would not happen anytime soon. The elites and rich men of South Korea would not even consider to lose their wealth and power to the North Korean government. This would not be a unification. It would be North Korea's conquest.

Join us.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 19:40
And North would either shoot nukes in desparation, or will have enough civil war for South Korea and her allies to intervene in North Korea. We waited 50 years. Why not 50 more? We can wait. 

Edited by pekau - 08-Feb-2007 at 19:41

Join us.
Sonagi View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Sonagi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 21:06

deleted by author

Edited by Sonagi - 11-Feb-2007 at 17:05
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 02:48

The elites and rich?  chuckle, chuckle.  How about the middle class and the working class, who fill their bellies with meat, veggies, and white rice and sleep on toasty ondol floors while their brethren in the north are exhorted to eat two meals a day and sit in chilly dark apartments during blackouts?

Hear hear. Well, assuming that brethrens in the north actually get 2 meals a day...Confused

Men are selfish. It's our nature. This is the reason why strict communism will never work. I guess what I said is this, South will never give up their wealth and power for unification, and they will wait until the North is forced to do so... in the future.

Join us.
 Post Reply Post Reply