Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Muslim merchants in japan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muslim merchants in japan
    Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 12:09

Muslim merchants came to China and India, did they go to Japan?Anyone know?

leung
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 14:56
If they were merchants then it would be trade.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 15:35
I think he means the people the traders hmm I gues not because well they left marks on the regions they left like muslim population

in Japan thats not the case so i don't think so
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
The Grim Reaper View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote The Grim Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 16:47

Of course there may have been some Muslim traders -and probably many others as well- who made their way to Japan, but the numbers remain negligible as they left no significant or lasting impact.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 16:54
There were,

I don't remember where I saw it, but in an Japanese advertisement of come cars, years ago, I saw they recognized the influence of Arab art in certain Japanese decorative motives. So, a like must existed.

There were so many muslim in Middle Ages' China that is almost impossible no one went to Japan to trade.

Pinguin

The Grim Reaper View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote The Grim Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 17:42
But, if there was no significant or lasting influence, and if the numbers were extremely small, does it even matter?

There are 100,000 Westerners who live in Saudi Arabia today, out of a total population of about 27 million, now does their influence or presence make a difference in everyday Saudi cultural life to the point that we can discern their presence to be significant?

Edited by The Grim Reaper - 11-Jan-2007 at 17:42
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 08:49
But did the japanese write down anything about the Muslim traders. Chinese had the record of the Muslim traders.
leung
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 09:03
Originally posted by The Grim Reaper

But, if there was no significant or lasting influence, and if the numbers were extremely small, does it even matter?

There are 100,000 Westerners who live in Saudi Arabia today, out of a total population of about 27 million, now does their influence or presence make a difference in everyday Saudi cultural life to the point that we can discern their presence to be significant?

I believe yes. Perhaps they won't change the religion of the locals, but they could influence them in the way of reparing cars by their own, in certrain sports, in the curiosity for science, or the way of organizing teams, and other things that I can't see from here.

The presence of foreigners in a country, no matter how small the group, is always important. In Chile, for example, the presence of small colonies of British people during the 19th century changed the country forever, and made it quite different from other Latin countries.

Penguin

Edited by pinguin - 12-Jan-2007 at 09:03
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 11:47

If i was to guess i would say it would be early chinese muslims.

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2007 at 17:30
Although Japan welcomed many foreign trades, the arrival of Europeans made many Japanese samuriai and merchants nervous due to newfound competition. They closed the border, saved for some Dutch and Chinese and Korean traders in Nagasaki.

Join us.
 Post Reply Post Reply