Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Debating Saddam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Debating Saddam
    Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 22:51
I remember a debate in another thread on whether Saddam was a brutal dictator or a brave martyr and there has been a lot of flaming, but never have I seen as fiery a debate as this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUS4BaMGxxQ
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 23:50
Oyy.. What was going on when he produced those papers "proving" he was Iranian?  I should remember that one for when one day I am invited on a talk show..
Aydin View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Aydin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 00:18
pan-arabists hate iranian.
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 01:03
Am I the only one that found that video funny?
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 03:50
pan-arabists hate iranian.

I don't think thats true at all.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 04:14
Originally posted by Balaam

Am I the only one that found that video funny?

It was shown in our news a few days ago, and it would have been funny if it was a satirical sketch. But its not.
It presents two individuals who's opinions are widely heard and respected by their followers. 
I think its sad.

If this is the intellectual level of educated people in Iraq who really should know better, I see no reason to be optimistic for the future of Iraq after Saddam.

Sad indeed.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 05:13
Saddam killed scores (of mainly Shiite) Arabs as well as others including Sunni Kurds, any glorification of him has nothing to do with Arab pride or even Sunni pride but Sunni Arab bitterness of being what they are in Iraq - a now dis-empowered minority.

Tough reality but thats democracy
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 05:24

Well said, but replace Sunni bitterness with BAATHIST bitterness.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 07:04
Originally posted by Zagros

Well said, but replace Sunni bitterness with BAATHIST bitterness.

true, i think these criminals are just playing up the religious thing, and doing a good job at it. My badErmm

Edited by Leonidas - 11-Jan-2007 at 07:05
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 07:07
This was more a personal mud slinging match between the two men than a debate over Saddam, they even came prepared with documents to discredit eachother. That debate did not illuminate the opinions surrounding Saddam, it only illustrated the deep emotions which follow his demise.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 07:16
It is actually western media, Gulf Arabs and Sunni extremists that play up the Sunni-Shiite conflict. I have spoken to ordinary Arab Iraqis before and they don't give a damn about the religion of their compatriots.

All of this hype of course is having the desired effect, slowly but surely ordinary Shiites and Sunnis are turning against each other.  If Saudi Arabia really gave a damn about its "Sunni brethren" then it would not throw the Palestinians to the wolves in its collusion with Israeli policy.

These are just dangerous political games. This is the first time in 500 years that there is sectarian strife between Sunni and Shia and it hs been stirred by the Coalition of Terror, Baathists, Wahabists and Israelis.

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 19:09

Zagros has a strong point!

Actually the Shia especially Shia Iran have never promoted anti-Sunnism, they want to bridge ties, encourage diologue and promote brotherhood. Unfortunately some "PUPPET" so-called Sunni groups are just taking orders from their puppet masters and will do anything to be anti-Shia.

Iran and Turkey recently have been working to build on Sunni-Shia brotherhood. Infact, Turkey and Azerbaijan is a great example of the fact that Sunni and Shia muslims can be very close and have great relations.

Ironically it was Iran and Turkey who put an end to the last Sunni-Shia conflict and kept the peace for 400 years, now today some idiots who don't know their history want to open a pandora's box. These are puppet states, puppet groups and puppet regimes who don't have a history, roots or deep state. Iran and Turkey solved this problem, maybe they'll have to use their experience to solve this again once and for all in the not too far future Wink 

Edited by Bulldog - 11-Jan-2007 at 19:12
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 19:54
you are absolutely right, they are puppets, they have no history whatsoever, nor roots, nor a deep state (whatever thats supposed to mean) so Iran and Turkey should go in and clobber them... I am sure Turkey would do a great job...you know, with all of its experience and all...
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 21:03
Iraq was drawn with a ruler, I don't know what your getting all fussed about, are you going to claim to the contrary? Who drew up Iraq, who creted these borders, what history has the state Iraq got as the country Iraq? who stuck these borders between the Arab people? go figure it out...there is no Sunni-Shia divide in ordinary society, its a situation which some puppet forces are trying to create, ooooh the Shia threat. What Shia threat? These so-called Sunni groups are making themselves a mockery and even the average Sunni doesn't want to associate with such groups. I'm in no-way suggestion "Iraq" the area doesn't have a rich history, I mean common  it has practically one of the richest documented histories in the world.

At the end of the day, both are Muslim and Iran has tried to promote this.

Who said anything about "clobbering", I clearly stated that Iran and Turkey has experience with such issues and could work to help the situation.

Your pathetic attempt to twist and manipulate words in order to make this all about "Armenia" is embarassing, well I hope they don't act like Armenia in Karabagh.

Edited by Bulldog - 11-Jan-2007 at 23:55
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 22:42
Originally posted by mamikon

you are absolutely right, they are puppets, they have no history whatsoever, nor roots, nor a deep state (whatever thats supposed to mean) so Iran and Turkey should go in and clobber them... I am sure Turkey would do a great job...you know, with all of its experience and all...

What does this suppose to mean? Aside from internal conflicts with seperatists, Cyprus of 1974 and Korea before, Turkey has not been in any other meaningful war. (The last days of declaring war on Nazi Germany in WWII doesn't really count).

Edited by Seko - 11-Jan-2007 at 22:51
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 23:07
Originally posted by seko

What does this suppose to mean? Aside from internal conflicts with seperatists, Cyprus of 1974 and Korea before, Turkey has not been in any other meaningful war. (The last days of declaring war on Nazi Germany in WWII doesn't really count).

I was referring to Kurds, and a possible Turkish excursion into Northern Iraq, there was an article in the last december issue of the economist on Turkey...

Originally posted by bulldog

Who said anything about "clobbering", I clearly stated that Iran and Turkey has experience with such issues and could work to help the situation.

Your pathetic attempt to twist and manipulate words in order to make this all about "Armenia" is embarassing, well I hope they don't act like Armenia in Karabagh.

you know...you are pretty good at jumping you guns about Armenia. Armenia has nothing to do with Iraq, nor was I mentioning or intending to mention Armenia...

Edited by mamikon - 12-Jan-2007 at 00:22
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 23:53
And I was being sarcastic initially hence the "wink" before you started getting all serious.

If Turkey goes into Iraq to clear Pkk Terrorist camps they'll be fighting in the war on terror and have every right to if attacks on Turkish soil are being organised and conducted from Iraq. Just as Iran has a right to take out Pkk-Pejak Terrorists in North Iraq. Hopefully, the Kurdish authorities or the Iraqi government will solve this problem on their own.

But that wasn't what I was getting at.

It was the whole Sunni-Shia issue which is being exploited and used to wreck havoc, I stated Turkey and Iran has experience in dealing with this problem and could help as the new Iraqi gov has only been in power for a year or two.
Albert Pine

mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 00:12
Turkey is a secular country, what experience does it have? Whereas Iran is the exact opposite...
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 00:22
Well there Ottoman archives which documented the war 400-500 years ago and then the peace between Iran and the Ottoman Empire. Tips could be taken from history as it often repeats itself.

Also Azerbaycan and Turkey's relations are prime examples that Shia and Sunni Muslims can get along.

Iran has been promoting and trying to spread dialogue among the main two muslim groups.

Unfortunately few predominantly Sunni muslim states in the Middle-East want to actively have better relations and start diologue to bring the two denominations closer together. As Turkey is secular and doesn't have an anti-Shia agenda hopefully Iran and Turkey could start this process...ofcourse its all hypothetical and probobly wont actually materialise, its just a suggestion...

Something needs to be done to stop those who are trying to sew seeds of sectarianism or the situation will just get even more tragic than it is.

Edited by Bulldog - 12-Jan-2007 at 00:25
Albert Pine

mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 00:26

Well there Ottoman archives which documented the war 400-500 years ago and then the peace between Iran and the Ottoman Empire. Tips could be taken from history as it often repeats itself.

There were repeated wars betwen the Ottoman Empire and the successive Persians Empires Confused

Also Azerbaycan and Turkey's relations are prime examples that Shia and Sunni Muslims can get along.

Maybe because they are both secular and both are Turkic (as well as a "grand" enemy...and yes here I am talking about Armenia)

Iran has been promoting and trying to spread dialogue among the main two muslim groups.

no comment...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>