Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Whos the most stingy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whos the most stingy?
    Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 13:47
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 17:54
The Danes once again stand out as very generous (they give the most aid per capita, or was it % of total GDP, or any country IIRC).
But its early days yet, most of the aid will probably come from phone in donations that have already started.
Arrrgh!!"
Winterhaze13 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 18:38
Hooray for Canada for pledging 40 million dollars, further adding to the impression that we are kind and generous people.
Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes.

-- Voltaire
French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 22:52

It's glad to see all these countries pledging money, but I don't like the idea of us quantifying and judging other people's generosity.

Personally, I've given $50.  Has anyone else, and more importantly, could someone find the information to do so in foreign countries?  I've only found it for America, which is to call 1-800-HELP-NOW.

Member of IAEA
vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 23:56

The International Committee of the Red Cross and Red Crescent has a donation link on their home page:  http://www.icrc.org/eng

You can also contact your local chapter of the Red Cross/Crescent to see how they are soliciting disaster relief in your area.  Here they are asking for donations of funds only for the time being so that they can apply the aid as and where it it most desperately needed.

One local businessman has pledged to match donations up to $10,000 for the Red Cross Tsunami relief fund and has asked others to consider doing the same.

I agree that it is difficult to quantify  aid efforts - but hope that all will give as much as they are able.

In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
John Doe View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote John Doe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2004 at 09:24
this list is a little easier to read.

KEY AID PLEDGES
  • EU $44m
  • US: $35m
  • Canada: $33m
  • Japan: $30m
  • UK: $28.9m
  • Australia: $27m
  • France: $20.4m
  • Denmark: $15.6m
  • Saudi Arabia: $10m
  • Norway: $6.6m
  • Taiwan: $5.1m
  • Finland: $3.4m
  • Kuwait: $2.1m
  • Netherlands: $2.6m
  • UAE: $2m
  • Ireland $1.3m
  • Singapore: $1.2m

Source: Reuters, United Nations

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4135099.stm
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2004 at 09:41

It may be easier to read but it is not accurate at least as far as Canada is conserned. The secratery of defence anounced yesterday that the contribution from Canada was to 40 million and many of the provincial and civic governments are donating on top of that as well. This does not include the personal donations mostly being accepted by the Canadian red cross.

I tend to agree with others that qualifing aide donations is not nessesary. With the scale of this tragedy I think most are giving what they can and those that recieve it are greatful for what ever comes in. Even small amounts are of help.

Canadians wishing to donate aid to quake relief can call the Canadian Red Cross at 1-800-418-1111, UNICEF at 1-877-955-3111, Oxfam Canada at 1-800-466-9326, or CARE Canada at 1-800-267-5232.

Edited by Dawn
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2004 at 15:06
Originally posted by John Doe

this list is a little easier to read.

KEY AID PLEDGES
  • EU $44m
  • Canada: $33m
  • Japan: $30m
  • UK: $28.9m
  • Australia: $27m
  • France: $20.4m
  • Denmark: $15.6m
  • Norway: $6.6m
  • Netherlands: $2.6m
  • Ireland $1.3m

Source: Reuters, United Nations

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4135099.stm

Luxembourg (pop c. 350,000) has pledged $5 million.

babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2004 at 17:23

yeah well....the BBC this morning just said that the American government for what it is is stingy as sh*t...but it's the American people who are the ones that are generous...well done Genghis...

i personally couldn't talk because i have not donated a cent...but...i think i have a valid reason...i think...

Edited by babyblue
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2004 at 00:01

I believe this BBC statement is from a UN official rather. It was pointed at all of the world's richest countries because none of them give more than 1% of their GNP.

Generosity shouldnt be judged. US relief for assistance has been on the increase. The United States is the largest donor of aid, giving 40% of the world's alone. Also 60% percent of the world's humanitarian food relief.

I have boarded ships in port here filled to the brim with grain bound for North Korea if you can believe it,even as they spend all their money on arms. Thats not greed.

This is not a final tally of contributions, Powell has
said that aid for the Tsunami could go into the billions.

-
Roughneck View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Roughneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2004 at 02:56
You can't quantify it, and yes, you must factor in the cost of the ships and such, but we can afford more.  We spent $14 billion on Florida.  While I'm not expecting that kind of aid to be sent, surely we can spare more than $35 million (which was quickly upped from $15 million after we were embarrased, despite the claim that the two are unrelated).  They're spending $40 million on the Inaguration alone.  That's like Bill Gates buying a new Mercedes with cash and then saying he can't spare much for the Salvation Army Santa.
[IMG]http://img160.exs.cx/img160/7417/14678932fstore0pc.jpg">
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2004 at 04:09
The US has incrementally been raising the contributions as the death toll and damage has risen. GW doesnt have a stack of blank checks. Powell and Jeb Bush are heading there to access the situation now. You cant immediately start throwing hundreds of millions of dollars aimlessly towards Southeastern Asia. The last i checked, India had denied any monetary assistance saying it could take care of itself. They definately will receive help in some fashion.

Yes, i think factoring the ships and plane drops ect., is important but not because of the cost but because it shows that the US can physically get in there and help.
What would be nice is to see some of these oversized cooperations publicly donate.

Im sorry, but the next person from some organization that says anything again in the wake of all this, should just stfu and either reach in his/her own pocket or roll up their sleeves.

-
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2004 at 06:08
Im sorry, but the next person from some organization that says anything again in the wake of all this, should just stfu and either reach in his/her own pocket or roll up their sleeves.

Couldn't agree more, a well timed airplane of emercency medical supplies can achieve more than some cash in the hands of officials who may not even spend it wisely.
Besides, there is talk of upwards of 500 million having been pledged so far, and it can only grow as time passes.
Arrrgh!!"
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2004 at 07:55

Just sent a small symbolic (I am supposed to be a poor student after all...) gift  to the local Red Cross. Took quite a while though, since the servers were overloaded. Hopefully the Swedish Government will compensate for the worthless early reaction from the UD(Foreign Department). For starters the head of the dep. went to the theater when she heard about the disaster instead of doing her job. The always so mild state minister is said to be furious about the whole mess though, so maybe something will happen soon.

A little updated list.

• World Bank: $250m
  • UK: $96m
  • Sweden: $75m
  • Spain: $69m
  • China: $63m
  • France: $57m
  • Canada: $59m
  • EU: $44m
  • Japan: $40m
  • Netherlands: $36m
  • Australia: $33m
  • Germany: $26m
  • Switzerland: $22m
  • Denmark: $18.3m
  • Norway: $16.4m
  • Portugal: $11m
  • Holy See: $6m
  • Italy: $3.9m
  • Ireland: $1.3m
  • Austria: $1.3m
  • Luxembourg: $1.3m
This is only governmental aid, organizations and private givings not included. Also, numerous other contributions are made - just saw on the news the US has directed a fleet to the area, that CocaCola has donated $10m and my local bank another million dollar.

Edited by Styrbiorn
dark_one View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote dark_one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2004 at 08:17
 Russia has contributed little to this as it seems. I guessFfreign aid (and money in general) is not something we can spend lightly.
Did you hear about our new anti asteroid system which will take 10 billion dollars to build?

babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2004 at 10:01
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

CocaCola has donated $10m

bout time they did something good....

John Doe View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote John Doe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2004 at 10:17
its hard to say with a lo9t of these lists

some list the monmey from thre countryiess perspect9ve, others translate it to US dollars first, the list I possted above was all in US dollars, hence the difference between the Canadian  and Australian dollar figures.

btw, happy new year for those still happy enough to celebrate.
Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2004 at 19:35

US aid is up to $350 million.

I heard today that Pfizer has pledged 35 million and that the Red Cross raised 18 million in 3 days in the US.

And one young boy in Washington State opened a hot chocolate stand to help raise money and raised $225 in a few hours.  

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2004 at 20:10
Koreans are stingy...Sk gave only about 1.4 million dollars...there was even a news bit on how ashamed the people were...
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2005 at 06:50
Originally posted by Cornellia

US aid is up to $350 million.

I heard today that Pfizer has pledged 35 million and that the Red Cross raised 18 million in 3 days in the US.

And one young boy in Washington State opened a hot chocolate stand to help raise money and raised $225 in a few hours.  

Pfizer? Medicine company, yes?

Just read that the Red Cross has raised 10 million dollars here.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>