Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AE Magazine - January

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AE Magazine - January
    Posted: 03-Jan-2007 at 17:22
Batavian Rebellion
The Batavian Revolt of 69 CE is an often overlooked event in Roman history. Taking place during the chaotic Year of the Four Emperors, the revolt is often overshadowed by Romes internal strife. However, the Batavian revolt is a fascinating event, unique from the other rebellions within the Roman Empire during the 1st century CE. (by Kilroy)
The Fighting Death of the Confederacy
The CSA (Confederate States of America) respresents a curiosity in that it was a state whose existence should well have been expected to have been terminated much quicker than actually occurred. (by Constantine XI)
The Mexican War
The Mexican-American war of 1846-1848 is one of the defining moments in the history of the American West. Its significance has been overshadowed in popular imagination by the magnitude of the conflict that followed it, less than 2 decades later: the US civil war. (By Decebel)
The Battle of Grunwald
For the last one hundred and fifty years the German crusaders had been fighting the Lithuanians with varying luck, yet the Teutonic Order was gathering more powerful and neither Lithuania nor Poland could do anything about it.(by Rider)
The French Indian Wars
At Fort Duquesne, the French only had 250 troops. Their Indian allies had camped outside the fort, counting 640 Natives. The Natives were from many different tribes, because the French had long diplomatic ties with a number of nations.(By Hope)
The Principality of Vladimir-Suzdal
The Principality of Vladimir was very important in the few centuries after the weakening of the power of the Grand Prince in Kiev. The Principality would more correctly be called as the Principality of Vladimir-Suzdal, for it was made up of two territories, Vladimir and Suzdal, and the prince governed them both. (By Rider)
The First Dukes of Muscovy & Ivan Kalita
Muscovy managed to claim his independence during the 13th century when the power of the Princes of Vladimir had weakened due to the emerging Mongols who assaulted the Rus states, which could not unify against the threat. (By Rider)
  Review
Review of the Ridley Scott epic Kingdom of Heaven starring Orlando Bloom. The movie raised great controversy over its realism and portrayal of the Templars. Here medieval expert Rider takes a second look. (Rider)
  This Month In History: January 2007
In the month of January, Emperor Theodosius died in Milan, the Batavian Republic was declared in the Netherlands, Charles I of England was beheaded by order of Parliament under the direction of Oliver Cromwell and the Tet Offensive in Vietnam began...(by Act of Oblivion)
  Text: The Charge of the Light Brigade
Half a league half a league
Half a league onward 
All in the Valley of Death
Rode the six hundred

From the Editors:

As AE magazine enters its second year the editors hope you enjoy this month's issue. The issue has a theme of Imperialism and the fools who opposed it, fighting for freedom.

Like always we would like to thank the most important members of the magazine staff, the writers, who spent Christmas slaving away over a keyboard rather than opening drinking and over eating like the rest of us.

We hope that you'll continue to support the magazine. If you are interested in writing for next month's edition, please contact one of the editors listed below. If you would like to assist in other editorial work, such as commisioning writers, publicising the magazine or proof reading we would also like to hear from you!

- The AE Magazine Editors

AE Magazine, January 2007 Edition
Issue Editors: Rider, Paul, Invictus, Emp. Barbarossa, Dawn, Act of Oblivion.

This Month's Picture Quiz:

In this picture are a selection of historic swords from around the world. How many can you name? (click on image to enlarge)

Answer to Last Month's Picture Quiz:

Last month's quiz was an engraving of the 1811 heavyweight championship fight between Britain's Tom Cribb and American Tom Molineaux. In the first great heyday of the sport the two national champions fought in perhaps the sport's most celbrated fight ever.  Depicted around the two fighters are other past great champions including John Gully, Gentleman Jackson and Bill Richmond.

Edited by Paul - 03-Jan-2007 at 18:15
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2007 at 17:46
Great Work! Congratulations to the Editors for making their layout without my involvement. 
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2007 at 16:15
Great job!!!! I hope to be of more assistance in the Feb. issue! Wishing you all a happy and healthy 2007!

"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 18:53
I've just finished reading the majority of the articles and i must say job well done.  Constantine's article was excellent, and i just happened to be reading an article in a past issue of 'Military History Quarterly' about the same subject, which made me even more interested in the subject.  

Decebal's article was refreshing, i haven't read about the Mexican-American War in a very long time - a great look at one of America's little known wars.  

Riders review of the movie 'Kingdom of Heaven' was needed in my opinion.  It's always a good idea to set the record straight when talking about Hollywood's rendition of history. 

Hope's article was a good breakdown of one the key conflicts in North American history, and one i know very little about.   

As for the picture quiz, the only sword i can name with confidence is the Gladius, as for the rest i may see a Rapier, a two handed sword of some make and perhaps a cavalry sabre but thats about it.
Kilroy was here.
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 01:13
Some excellent articles in there. Just one gripe about the article about Tannenberg -- Jan Zizka did not command a unit. He is recorded to have been there at the battle, and it was likely there where he lost his first eye, but the 3000 Czech mercenaries were commanded by one Jan Sokol of Lamberk, who was perhaps assisted by a man named Zbyslavek.

Edited by Timotheus - 12-Jan-2007 at 01:17
Opium is the religion of the masses.

From each according to his need, to each according to his ability.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 10:31
Hmmh. Interesting, the source I read it from said that he commanded an unit. But you say he didn't? Well. I believe you in this case. I will make the correct adjustments. Thanks.
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 16:30
Great article on the Light Brigade, rider. I thought it was a very good analysis of its historical accuracy.

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 10:16
Well, the book by Saul David gave me pretty much of it. And some other things too. And I always have had the battle in my mind. Although I would consider it a bit cheating too: it is supposed to be a historical text and not a review of a poem...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 17:28
but it's "feb"
 Post Reply Post Reply