Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is Atheism wrong?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Atheism wrong?
    Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 16:12

cannot exist in a world that is evil under his control.

But the world is not evil, only human interactions with each other and within themselves are evil. Evil is a by-product of humanity, not of God. That is why I think evil is indirectly attributed to God, since he knew that we would cause evil in the world. He is All-Good and All-Loving because he allowed us to exist even if we cause evil.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 16:20
Then why flood entire world as shown by the Great Flood? How can God be mad at people for disobeying his wishes when he already knew they would disobey him? Also, how can an All-Good and All-Powerful God allow humans to do evil to other humans. That contradicts the very premise of the God being good and being able to stop evil.

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 16:23
Guys,nobody can really proove if God exists  or not.Both parties have right and wrong at the same time.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 17:08
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

Then why flood entire world as shown by the Great Flood? How can God be mad at people for disobeying his wishes when he already knew they would disobey him? Also, how can an All-Good and All-Powerful God allow humans to do evil to other humans. That contradicts the very premise of the God being good and being able to stop evil.

God was more angry in the old testament. He flooded the world because it was full of sinners, but afterword promised Noah he would never do it again. Now, he lets people choose for themselves their destiny, be it good or evil.

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 17:12
Not if you ask St. Augustine of Hippo he doesn't let people choose their destiny for themselves. He is the source of the "Puritan Dilema" or Prelasarian Predestination.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 17:14
Predestination...well, I don't know if I believe in that. Is predestination officially embraced by the church, catholic and protestant? 
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 17:58
I'm pretty sure it's embraced by certain Catholic sects as well as Protestant sects. This was really big in the 16th C. it was preached heavily by John Calvin a major influence on the Puritans.
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 18:12
I suppose you could say that being an agnostic is the least presumptuous. 
I can't see how being an atheist is any "worse" than being religious somehow.   Both "presume to know"..  

(I am an atheist, I always have been..)
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 18:24
They are the same thing. They both presume to have the answer to a question that nobody can honestly know.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 18:36
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

And  by the way, does anyone know a good way to get rid of a Jehovas witness or a Mormon trying to hassle you on the streets. Is there a special line for that?

Of course you can say you are already a Jehova's witness. But then again you run the risk that they ask you to take over today's converting tour.

I said I was a Muslim, you should have seen the guy backoff LOL

If you look him in the eye and tell him your a muslim you are never bothered. 

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 03-Jan-2007 at 00:57
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 19:33
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

Your observation about God being able and good is true accordingly to the Bible.
However - he didnt promise anyone a life without evil. On the contrary. 
If you read the Bible thoroughly and believe what it says, then in fact - all the way back from Adam and Eve,  you will understand that human life is partly controlled by the Devil. God let this happen because humans (Adam and Eve) disobeyed him in the first place as you probably know.
Thus, human life is to test us for the forthcoming doomsday /return of the Messiah/ Harmageddon/ Fullfillment or whatever its been called during milleniums.

So yes - on the premises you want to be saved, you could say that...
Atheism is wrong - Agnostics hope for a free ride - and believers constantly worry if they are good enough.

I refuse to believe this life is as a test for the next.
I believe this life is a gift to us all, - that this is the only paradise we will see. 
We should treasure it and do our outmost to make it a good experience for every fellow human instead of constantly fighting each other for something that eternally remains a dream.
I find the values expressed by Christ to be a good guidance in doing this.
Thats my religion.

~ Northman

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2007 at 00:16
Originally posted by Spartakus

Guys,nobody can really proove if God exists  or not.Both parties have right and wrong at the same time.

Nope, my original point that no one seems to have heeded is disbeleif is always morally superior to beleif if theres nothing to back either side up, otherwise we have to waste time proving the Smurfs arent real and worrying about Lord Xenu's omnipotence. We shouldnt waste our time with things that even if somehow if they did kind of exist (in a way undeniably distorted by people anyway) has no bearing on our lives since it just tells us are problems are our fault anyway.

Beacuase Atheism CAN be proven wrong it is the superior mode of thought, on the whole.  It, like the field of science, can be modified to changing relaities and constantly changed.  Science can be proven wrong and thus it can change, fix and better itself to fit the times.  Things that cannot be proven wrong are not relaistic challenges for actual factual inquiry and thus do nothing to move humanity forward.

So basically if you say we shouldnt err on the side of skepticism than your saying the truth lies immediately between a complete skeptic and a fung shui beleiving scientologist cult leader.  Somehow I thinnk thats a dangerous position to draw (as most "moderate" positions tend to be).
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2007 at 01:07
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

And  by the way, does anyone know a good way to get rid of a Jehovas witness or a Mormon trying to hassle you on the streets. Is there a special line for that?

Of course you can say you are already a Jehova's witness. But then again you run the risk that they ask you to take over today's converting tour.

I said I was a Muslim, you should have seen the guy backoff LOL

Many years ago I answered the door naked and told them that nudists probably didn't fit in with them. They left me alone for over a year.Big smile
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2007 at 02:32
Mein Gott in himmel, I simply asked whether my reasoning (Located in the first posted forum) was logical that questions the principle of atheism. How did we get so off-topic?

Edited by pekau - 03-Jan-2007 at 02:34

Join us.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2007 at 04:54
Ok, in a thread in which is being debated the existance of God (even if it is off topic), allow me, as I do occasionally, to cut the crap.
Don't you think its prudent to see what God had to say on the issue?
Is it a matter of wonderment to men that We have sent Our inspiration to a man from among themselves?- that he should warn mankind (of their danger), and give the good news to the Believers that they have before their Lord the lofty rank of truth. (But) say the Unbelievers: "This is indeed an evident sorcerer!" [10:2]

Generations before you We destroyed when they did wrong: their messengers came to them with clear-signs, but they would not believe! thus do We requite those who sin!

Then We made you heirs in the land after them, to see how ye would behave!

But when Our Clear Signs are rehearsed unto them, those who rest not their hope on their meeting with Us, Say: "Bring us a reading other than this, or change this," Say: "It is not for me, of my own accord, to change it: I follow naught but what is revealed unto me: if I were to disobey my Lord, I should myself fear the penalty of a Great Day (to come)."

Say: "If Allah had so willed, I should not have rehearsed it to you, nor would He have made it known to you. A whole life-time before this have I tarried amongst you: will ye not then understand?"

Who doth more wrong than such as forge a lie against Allah, or deny His Signs? But never will prosper those who sin. [10:13-17]

The whole principle of atheism relies on God not providing proof, and as has been pointed out can be disproven with proof of the existance of God. Thus atheism is disproven! God has written a book. What more proof can you possibly want? No-one doubts the existance of Anna Komenos, all she did was write a book, no-one doubts the existance of Karl Marx, all he did was write a book. What sort of proof do you want? Do you want God's personal messenger to come to you and explain everything to you in person?
Had it been Our Will, We could have sent a warner to every centre of population. [25:51]

Or will you claim "Muhammed made it up" as no doubt most will. An argument which relies on the lack of knowledge more than any other evidence. We have Muhammed's (pbuh) sayings in the Hadies, which if anyone realises, are a world apart from the Quran in what they say, how they say it, and with the accuracy that they do. No genuine scientific study is about to claim that the Quran and the Hadies are from the same source, but nevertheless, people are willing to claim it to provide false justification to their status quo.
Not to mention that while the bible rarely ventures into science, and recieves alot of critisim when it does, the Quran often ventures into science, in areas that Muhammed could not have possibly know about, and never makes a mistake. I've even looked up anti-muslim websites to see what they've got, and its still nothing that takes more mental effort than reading in context to expose its riduclousness. If our worse enemies cannot find a mistake, then surely there is not one.

So I do call to witness what ye see,
And what ye see not,
That this is verily the word of an honoured messenger;
It is not the word of a poet: little it is ye believe!
Nor is it the word of a soothsayer: little admonition it is ye receive.
(This is) a Message sent down from the Lord of the Worlds.
And if the messenger were to invent any sayings in Our name,
We should certainly seize him by his right hand,
And We should certainly then cut off the artery of his heart:
Nor could any of you withhold him (from Our wrath).
But verily this is a Message for the Allah-fearing.
And We certainly know that there are amongst you those that reject (it).
But truly (Revelation) is a cause of sorrow for the Unbelievers.
But verily it is Truth of assured certainty.
So glorify the name of thy Lord Most High.
[69:38-52]

If anyone rejects Christianity on the basis of logic and deduction, then surely they must accept Islam on the same principles. If on the other hand, anyone rejects Christianity on the basis on "because", then that is an argument that cannot be disproven.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2007 at 05:55

Omar..... probably off topic - but please let me get it straight by example:

The Holy Book of Vikism
(by Northman, the Messenger)

Page 1
"There is only one true God - my name is Vik.
I created everything, here is the good story......"
Page 34
"I shall send you a messenger to tell you right from wrong, and should he tell lies that are not My words, I surely will kill him"
Page 99
"I am Northman the messenger as Vik mentioned and I have recieved all the words in this book from Vik, (and was inspired by the old testament).
Please follow my example, do as I say or be lost forever."

I should probably write a little more to sound more convincing, but where is the proof that I'm speaking the truth in my book?

~ Northman
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2007 at 08:21
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Not to mention that while the bible rarely ventures into science, and recieves alot of critisim when it does, the Quran often ventures into science, in areas that Muhammed could not have possibly know about, and never makes a mistake.

Which areas are you talking about here? Ive never read the Quran and would like to know... Also you can't really say that God has written a book where every religion out there with a holy scripture guide specifically states that what's written is the "word of God". Of course that hasn't been written by God and has been edited by whoever wrote it.

The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2007 at 08:36
Originally posted by Dawn

Many years ago I answered the door naked and told them thatnudists probably didn't fit in with them. They left me alone for over a year.[IMG]height=17 alt="Big smile" src="http://www.allempires.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>

But you were overrun with ex-Jehovah's Witnesses, right?

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2007 at 09:19
there's a place for everyone in jesus's plan of things.

http://www.naturist-christians.org/index.php
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Siege Tower View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2007 at 11:00
if god exists, I question his purpose of creation. if he was the creator of humanity, than our moralty is based on what he wants, than why do we have different defination of moralty? than what of the creation of evil? he set up an ultimate quest for himself? or the souce of evilness was equaly strong as he? than what difference does it make if we believe in devil? if god exists, there would be no evil, and good can not exist without it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>