Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is Atheism wrong?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Atheism wrong?
    Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 18:35
Oh God, I can just feel all other members ready to stone me... Oh well, too late now.

Ok, I was just wondering about this fault regarding atheism belief:

If one is to declare that there is no God with 100% accuracy, then that person must have the infinite knowledge. (That is, the person must know everything in the universe) But wait a tick, does that not mean that the person who declared that there's no God is... God?

Join us.
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 18:50
Well, it depends on one's definition of atheism (since my beliefs fit the definition of agnostic, and the broader definition of atheist), but, if you mean atheist clearly by the definition that there cannot be a creator, then, yes, by that definition of atheism, I can see it as wrong.

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 19:38
Yes.

Do you mean wrong as in not true, or wrong as in a sin?

The latter can only be answered by the former. Since if the former is true then you subscribe to the moral code that makes the latter true, however if you don't accept the former then you don't accept the moral code that outlaws the latter either. Unless of course you find me a religion that encourages you not to believe in it.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 20:08
I would say that athiesm is both not true, and a sin, to all religions, Christianity, Islam, Pagan religions, Hinduism, etc...

Edited by Adalwolf - 01-Jan-2007 at 20:08
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 20:16
I believe, in the context of this thread, that pekau meant that is atheism correct (right) or incorrect (wrong).

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 20:18
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

I believe, in the context of this thread, that pekau meant that is atheism correct (right) or incorrect (wrong).

Indeed, I was.

Just to point out, I am not saying that any belief is right or wrong. I am just pointing out the fact that the principle was slightly odd... but I am open to any POV... I don't hate people...

Join us.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 22:04
Originally posted by pekau

If one is to declare that there is no God with 100% accuracy, then that person must have the infinite knowledge.

Really? And why is that?
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 22:11
Originally posted by Feanor

If one is to declare that there is no God with 100% accuracy, then that person must have the infinite knowledge.

Really? And why is that?

Well, if the person does not know for sure... then you are saying that God could exist, which goes against the atheism completely.

Join us.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 22:14

Oh God, I can just feel all other members ready to stone me... Oh well, too late now.

Ok, I was just wondering about this fault regarding atheism beleif:

If one is to declare that there is no God with 100% accuracy, then that person must have the infinite knowledge. (That is, the person must know everything in the universe) But wait a tick, does that not mean that the person who declared that there's no God is... God?

A good question deserves a good response.  If one is an atheist as a religion than you are correct.  By atheist as a religion I mean someone who just believes in disbelief because thats their belief.  That is just as dumb as blind belief.

How I see it is I am technically an agnostic ( I dismiss nothing out of hand that I cannot verify with certainty in the absolute) but I do not call myself as such because agnostic (to quote Steven Colbert) "is just an atheist without balls".  In the modern world agnostic has come to mean 50/50 wishy washy fence sitter, wheras I am only technically agnostic because I alow a 1-2% chance for supernatural powers or whatever to exist.

Now why would I be so quick to apply such a low percentage to religious belief? (and this is what goes back into your question) Because if we wasted our time proving negatives we would never get anywhere.  For example I can say with 100% assertiveness that the Smurfs are not real, but according to your argument I have to have all the knowledge in the universe to effectively dismiss the Smurfs as living entities. Sure its possible somehwere in our massive universe theres an exact facsimile of the Smurfs somewhere, and thus I should say 99.999% that its not likely rather than 100, but it still remains that there is no evidence for the real life existence of the smurfs regardless of what the prophecies (the cartoon) tell us.

Edited by Tobodai - 01-Jan-2007 at 22:16
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 22:28
I guess you have a point...

Oh by the way, 0.99999... is technically 1. One of the simple mathimatic theorem is that 0.3333 = 1/3. So if we multiply both of them by 3.... 0.9999... = 1!!

For further info: http://www.purplemath.com/modules/howcan1.htm

Sorry for getting off-topic.

Ok, but then you are saying that agnostic (Never heard this term before...) is a religion. For religion requires for a believer to have faith and devotion to something (Usually a God) despite the fact that they could not prove it 100%. That's the definition of faith. So, in reality... Agnostic is similar thing as ristianity, Muslim, etc. (Actually more like Buddism.)

Sorry if I offended anyone. I am just trying to reason things out here. Let me know if I am going off too far.

Edited by pekau - 01-Jan-2007 at 22:29

Join us.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 22:37
Im saying many people DO believe in un-belief as a faith, I am not one of them but there are many.

and yes point999 is actually one, bad way of putting it on my part, hey not all Asians are good at math (then again Im only half!)Tongue
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 22:43
Why is it that religious people cast atheism in their own image?

Personally as an athiest. not only do I not believe god does not exist. I've never ever even thought about god in my entire life and see no good reason ever to do so.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 22:50
Originally posted by Paul

Why is it that religious people cast atheism in their own image?

Personally as an athiest. not only do I not believe god does not exist. I've never ever even thought about god in my entire life and see no good reason ever to do so.

Well, I think that's slightly too harsh. God, whether if He is real or not, brought many good things to humanity. Many people, in the edge of destruction (Drug abuse, self-guilt, etc.), were able to get out of the trouble and live a better life because of their faith. Mankind likes to question if their life could be something more meaningful, something better, something that could help them to become great, etc. I know many people who changed for the better because they believed in a religion.

Of course, I am not saying that religions are always a good thing. Religion also brought so much death and destruction. We are witnessing it right now in Israel and Arabic borders. But I do not think that honest people who have religion is the problem. The extremist, or other people who cannot accept others is the problem, not the religion. I, as a Christian, have many friends who have different religion... or none at all. We debate about it sometimes, but we are quite tolerant about it.

Join us.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 22:52
And Paul, I am sure that you could become a moderator soon. I said this because you seem to be quite angry about it...

Join us.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 22:52
Oh, and you are really from North Korea... are you??

Join us.
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 23:19
For me, I used to believe in god or a god anyways. Later it didn't make sense to me and I guess I went in stages of going fully athiest. I mean, I used to constantly question it and second guess myself, now it just doesn't even seem conceivable to me.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 23:19
Although I do consider myself a nihilist which in a sense is related to atheism simply being atheistic is not good. Atheists and the religous alike are both just as fearful of God, the latter spending their whole lives praying to Him while the previous spending their lives convicing themselves that he isn't there. Nihilism instead says: "I don't care if God is there or not, I want to take matters in my own hand" which is a much braver way to confront reality.

The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 23:23

God, whether if He is real or not, brought many good things to humanity. (Drug abuse, self-guilt, etc.)

I often wonder why god brought drug abuse to humanity.

Edited by Paul - 01-Jan-2007 at 23:23
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 23:25

And Paul, I am sure that you could become a moderator soon. I said this because you seem to be quite angry about it...

When the forum has Immoderators, I'll be sure to be first to apply. As you say yourself.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 01:00
Drugs are good, when used for proper medication. Millions of lives are saved because of drugs... in wartime, in the time of deadly plague... or just simply everyday lives. It's the human beings that make the drugs bad because some use it in improper way.

Edited by pekau - 02-Jan-2007 at 01:02

Join us.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>