Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Real Roman Armor and Roman winter gear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chessrook1 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote chessrook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Real Roman Armor and Roman winter gear
    Posted: 28-Dec-2004 at 05:01

Does anybody have pictures of real Roman armor both pre-Marius and post-Marius times? I like to see if it looks like its hand crafted and hand pounded by blacksmiths. I tried googling it and all I get is online stores about Roman armor replicas for re-enactors which looks like its been factory reproduced. I've seen some pics though of Roman eagles and guidons. Also, when they were fighting against the Germans, Gauls, and Britons, did the Romans where any winter gear like boots, combat socks (heavy socks), and pants. All the color plates Ive seen in books like Military History Magazine and Osprey books show Romans in skirts and sandles for Mediterranean warfare not northern European warfare. Thanks for any response I get.

babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 06:19
     no you're not gonna see any originals ones....contain your grief...
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 08:57
    hrm...is this my first post in this forum since i first joined?
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 13:21
i just know that the legionaries had a thick overcoat for rain and winter campaigns, but I don't know of any other special equipment.
chessrook1 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote chessrook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 17:07
Thanks
Faran View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Faran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 20:59

They were issued woollen pants and cloaks, but I don't know about long sleeves.  There were boots, but I'm not sure exactly how they were made, or with what.  Leather, of course, but there may have been other materials.  I don't know about socks.

I don't know about the other question, but how else would they be made?

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2011 at 06:52

Here is a legionary from around 300AD. During their campaigns in colder places like Britain or Romania the legionaries adapted local clothing and equipment
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2011 at 15:26
Originally posted by Nick1986

Here is a legionary from around 300AD. During their campaigns in colder places like Britain or Romania the legionaries adapted local clothing and equipment

I got one question about this picture. Why would they replace their scutum with a such round shield?
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2011 at 19:20
When they began recruiting German mercenaries. By the time Rome fell legionaries used similar equipment to their barbarian foes
d' artagnan View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Spawn of P,C,MA

Quote d' artagnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2011 at 20:13
In 300 A.D the Romans weren't using that many barbarian soldiers though were they. I was under the impression that they didn't become that intwined until closer to 500 A.D.
Hunter Johns

"We're surrounded? Good, now we can kill the bastards in any direction."
— Col. Chesty Puller | Korean War
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2011 at 19:45
Didn't Rome fall to the barbarians in 475 AD?

Edited by Nick1986 - 05-Jul-2011 at 19:47
d' artagnan View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Spawn of P,C,MA

Quote d' artagnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2011 at 20:46
Yes, but the emperor and his court were in Ravenna. So it lasted a bit longer, and much later you have Justinian.

Edited by d' artagnan - 05-Jul-2011 at 20:47
Hunter Johns

"We're surrounded? Good, now we can kill the bastards in any direction."
— Col. Chesty Puller | Korean War
Guaporense View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Guaporense Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2011 at 21:25
The Roman army "evolved" during the late roman empire to meet the new realities of a declining civilization. The square/round shield change reflected that, as the square shield was ideal for organized combat in infantry formations.

Classical legion:

Late imperial legion:

The late roman legion used round shields because the Roman state didn't have the money to train the soldiers to work as an organized fighting machine like the early legion was. Instead the late legion was a militia and hence had to use round shields because round shields are better in individual combat.

Guaporense View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Guaporense Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2011 at 21:48
This photo is of an original 2nd century helmet:

Parade helmet, of course.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2011 at 15:18
Originally posted by Guaporense

This photo is of an original 2nd century helmet:Parade helmet, of course.

Of course the above description is only the opinion of certain persons, and not "fact!"

As a matter of "fact" maybe some of you should read about the uniforms of the famous "Almogavars", or "the Great Catalan Company."?

It seems that these later day "Romans" dressed almost exactly like the ancient ones!

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply