Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Seen any movies recently?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 35>
Author
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seen any movies recently?
    Posted: 12-May-2007 at 03:39
I watched the "life of others". After all that buzz about the oscar and all these people saying it was the best film of the year, I was very disappointed. The cinematography is really poor, the characters lack a lot of things to be considered interesting, the story is not interesting (too slow to be a thriller, too quick to be a portrait) The point is: totalitarism's awful but people are still people; which is completely stupid for a screenplay. Mitigated point of views are ok  in history books but useless in movies. The whole thing is grey and brown of course it is East Germany! Ultimately it suffers from the worst default a film can have: it has no witt. Only one thing saves the day: the actors are truelly wonderful!
I am a free donkey!
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2007 at 07:06
I shall watch Black books later tonight, and maybe the new King Kong movie, though i suspect the latter shall suck.
Arrrgh!!"
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2007 at 20:42
28 weeks later - outstanding except for the stupid ANNOYING little kids and their unbearable accents. "fwom". Angry
Romantic Envy View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Romantic Envy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2007 at 12:01
I watched American Psycho last night.  I find new things in that movie every time I watch it, and I think that is good in a movie.  I can't believe that such a pathetic sequel was made for it.

Now I am in the middle of watching The 300 Spartans.  It's something that I've been meaning to watch for years.  So many movies, so little time!
"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again." ~ Maya Angelou
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2007 at 12:11
King Kong was meh (as was to be expected), but still well made, and long (a plus for me), it stuck with the spirit of the original, not botheing to 'modernise' it, but gave it the full effects makeover. The giant insects managed to freak me out, which is rare for a movie.
Aside for the fact that the premise of the movie os slightly lame, i'd give this a thumbs up.

Not watched Black book syet, but bought the Hog Father.

28 weeks later is on my list too. its curious the latest wave of British movies seem to be made by Spaniards.
Arrrgh!!"
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 06:11
Taking the opportunity of my parents being in Paris, and not being able to check I am studying every day, I was very naughty and had a movie weekend:

Hoodwinked
You've Got Mail (the only romantic comedy ever that does it for me... probably because there are so many books in it... Wink)
Memoirs of a Geisha
Spiderman 1
Spiderman 2
Crimson Tide
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Corpse Bride
The Hunt for Red October
Gosford Park
Chicago
L.A. Confidential

Of course I'd seen all of them before (exept Spidey 2), but that is the while point isn't it? Mindlessly staring at the screen? LOL Oh, in between, I went to a Medieval Tournament as well...

edit - Oh joy, I just received the mail, and there it was: Vidocq!  I have tried to buy it for a while, but it was sold out everywhere (even in Paris they no longer had it...) But I managed to find one on a Digital Marketplace for less than it would have cost in the shop... Big%20smile

By the way... has anyone seen 'Avalon' here? It's a movie with a Japanese crew but with Polish actors... About a VR game where people get stuck in a secret level... really great.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 15-May-2007 at 09:02

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 13:02
Night at the Museum with Ben Stiller.

It was funny but not one of those movies that make you forget where you are for a couple of hours. The T. Rex skeleton that liked to fetch bones was cute, but the funniest part of the movie for me was Stiller in a slap fight with a monkey, guess I'm not that sophisticated.LOL
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 21:53
Zodiac - started off very promisingly, very dark, very my kind of movie - but just dragged its god-damned heals for the rest of the way - don't get me wrong I was never bored but it was just so damned long.  I was intending to go out and get a few drinks, hoping the movie would finish at around 1.00 to facilitate this ambition, however it finished at 2.30 and I have sh*t to do tomorrow.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2007 at 14:35
Just watched Spiderman 3. Not too bad, but I don't think it's that great to watch in the theatre. Wait for DVD rental.

Join us.
kasper View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote kasper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2007 at 15:50
Just saw Jesus Camp, very well done.

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2007 at 18:15

Jesus Camp is ok... I just didn't like that fact that the movie gives the image of all Christians in America to look as if they are perverted.

Join us.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2007 at 06:02
I just saw Pan's Labyrinth, it has only just come into cinemas over here... It was a lot heavier than I thought... Quite dark and cruel... But very beautiful...

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2007 at 06:08
Originally posted by Maharbbal

I watched the "life of others". After all that buzz about the oscar and all these people saying it was the best film of the year, I was very disappointed. The cinematography is really poor, the characters lack a lot of things to be considered interesting, the story is not interesting (too slow to be a thriller, too quick to be a portrait) The point is: totalitarism's awful but people are still people; which is completely stupid for a screenplay. Mitigated point of views are ok  in history books but useless in movies. The whole thing is grey and brown of course it is East Germany! Ultimately it suffers from the worst default a film can have: it has no witt. Only one thing saves the day: the actors are truelly wonderful!

I liked that movie very much. I disagree with you on the point. It is about a man who believed in the system, and literally lived for the system, who finds out it is a lie, and that he missed out on what life should be about. And who gets a chance to make a difference. I particularly liked the ending, with the dedication in the book.

Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2007 at 06:51

I watched Blood Diamond and Marie Antoinette the other day, these are 2 movies that I enjoyed alot.

Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2007 at 21:44
I watched the movie"the thing" yesterday. It was the first time that i'd watched it without any kind of inderruption...

Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2007 at 22:14
Originally posted by Zagros

Zodiac - started off very promisingly, very dark, very my kind of movie - butjust dragged its god-damned heals for the rest of the way - don't get me wrong I was never bored but it was just so damned long.

I have seen it yesterday. I really liked that basement scene.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2007 at 22:32
I saw Hot Fuzz yesterday. It was hilarious great spoof just like Shawn of the Dead, brilliant.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2007 at 13:43
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

I just saw Pan's Labyrinth, ......It was a lot heavier than I thought... Quite dark and cruel... But very beautiful...

..would have to agree with you there, a dark tale indeed, quite simple, but brilliantly played out....only watched it once but i have a sneaky suspicion that on a second viewing it will appear even more compelling than i initially thought.....

..watched 'The Last King of Scotland' recently although i was quite disappointed..its worth a watch but i felt it needed more insight into Amin's personality, some more background maybe....Forest's performance was solid and brought the disturbing ferocity of Amin's character to the fore...nice to see Gillian Anderson again!!!....had a thing for her since my X-Files fetish days......still lovely!!!!....Embarrassed....

..currently making my way thorugh all The Sopranos seasons available on DVD, missed them all while they were on TV, but well worth the wait....an excellant series....
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 05:20
Troy was on the telly, so I thought I'd watch it again... Shouldn't have, of course. Every time I see that movie I cannot help thinking: what a missed opportunity. They had the money, they had the set, they had the beautiful fights, they had Brad Pitt in a miniskirt. What could go wrong.

But what were they thinking? 'Hey look, this is a story that has been one of the highlights of literature for 6000 years, let's wash it through the mind of a hollywood writer, see what happens?' Crap! That is what happend!

And that Helen! Really! In the whole movie, she did not manage to convey a single emotion. She just spends the whole movie with the same expression: consipated. And I am supposed to believe men will fight over that

And every other actor. The only one who does not come across like he is in a school play is Eric Bana. All the others seem to have forgoten they were supposed to act...

Well, I just needed to get that off my chest... Wink

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 10:44
Okay, Aelfgifu, you don't make sense at all now. Tongue

Troy was on the telly, so I thought I'd watch it again... Shouldn't have, of course. Every time I see that movie I cannot help thinking: what a missed opportunity. They had the money, they had the set, they had the beautiful fights, they had Brad Pitt in a miniskirt.

Isn't this enough? I loved it myself, I own the DVD and have watched it multiple times.  

But what were they thinking? 'Hey look, this is a story that has been one of the highlights of literature for 6000 years, let's wash it through the mind of a hollywood writer, see what happens?' Crap! That is what happend!

Actually, I think they improved on the original story, by cutting away all that nonsense with gods intervening and focusing instead on the human drama, the battles and of course, the beauty.

And that Helen! Really! In the whole movie, she did not manage to convey a single emotion. She just spends the whole movie with the same expression: consipated. And I am supposed to believe men will fight over that?

Absolutely, otherwise you don't know a whole lot about men. Wink 

And every other actor. The only one who does not come across like he is in a school play is Eric Bana. All the others seem to have forgoten they were supposed to act...

Really? I thought most of them did rather well, not just Bana.

Deja vu, btw. I feel we've had this exact same conversation before...

Edited by Reginmund - 22-May-2007 at 10:48
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 35>