Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Seen any movies recently?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 35>
Author
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seen any movies recently?
    Posted: 20-Nov-2007 at 20:30
Originally posted by Sarmat12

I don't think there was Minin in the movie. Only Pozharksky, played by Mikhail Porechnikov.

I also actually liked the Polish character a lot. The Spanish guy from the movie was also actually played by a real Spanish actor who was in Goya's Ghosts.

Hmm, wasn't Pozarsky (in full armor and helmet) the one who made a speech in the town square and later took the cannons out of it to besiege Moscow. And Minin (in fur coat and cap) was left in charge of that town and spoke with Polish commander over the walls before the siege?

Forgot to mention that the overall atmosphere was very good, really made me believe that it was the 17th century.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2007 at 20:58
You are correct about Pozharksky, the actor's name is Mikhail Porechnikov. But the character in the city wasn't Minin. They said that Minin will briefly appear in the special cut which they prepare for the TV version of the movie. But there wasn't Minin in the version they showed in the cinema.
Σαυρομάτης
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2007 at 15:29
Anyone their who has seen the movie named "Life is beautiful"?
I just saw it yesterday and I was so found of it that today I went out and bought it on DVD for my collection of best movies...

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2007 at 22:52
Damn it I lost my post.

In response to Gharanai - ^^ I have not though that looks good.

I saw Elizabeth: The golden age yesterday.  It was okay.  I only had to pay two dollars though.  One of the most ridiculous things I have seen in a movie occured; when Elizabeth makes her impassioned speech to the army while the spanish are on their way, she comes out in full armor, with her long hair trailing behind her on a bedecked horse.  She looked just like an elf from the Lord of the Rings.  I knew it would be a woman power kind of movie, considering it was about a queen and it being 2007, though clearly some of the men there were not.  Shaking of the head, hand gesturing, and snorting greeted the end credits.LOL  Got to love middle aged men displaying their disgust with their wives sitting right next to them.

I will say that the cast had well known actors:  Geoffrey Rush, Clive Owen, of course Cate Blanchett.  Also a short role by the guy who played Nestor in Troy.  John Shrapnel (?)
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 00:26
I saw Transformers and loved it actually. Also saw Pirates of the Caribbean 3 again - not too good to be honest. Curse of the Black Pearl was the best, and it's gone down hill from there. 
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 03:06
Hitman. It was ok.
Kamikaze 738 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Kamikaze 738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 08:16
Originally posted by Justinian

One of the most ridiculous things I have seen in a movie occured; when Elizabeth makes her impassioned speech to the army while the spanish are on their way, she comes out in full armor, with her long hair trailing behind her on a bedecked horse.  She looked just like an elf from the Lord of the Rings.

Lol, Cate Blanchet actually did play as an elf in Lord of the Ring! She played as Galadriel which is funny as you mentioned it... dunno if you knew that already LOL

Edited by Kamikaze 738 - 25-Nov-2007 at 08:16
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 18:28
Today I was able to get my hands on so waited for Hitman, but was so disappointed as it was just an average movie.
I mean to be honest the Game is way better in every section (graphic work, sound, story etc) than the movie and I was soo dishearted as I was looking towards it to be a great entertainer.

Anyway now just looking forward to The Bank Job, Crank 2 and The Brazilian Job, you know I really like movies of Jason Statham and am a big fan of him.

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 19:30
Originally posted by Justinian

I saw Elizabeth: The golden age yesterday.  It was okay.  I only had to pay two dollars though.  One of the most ridiculous things I have seen in a movie occured; when Elizabeth makes her impassioned speech to the army while the spanish are on their way, she comes out in full armor, with her long hair trailing behind her on a bedecked horse.  She looked just like an elf from the Lord of the Rings.

Exactly, which is what makes it the most awesome part of the movie, sheesh. Blanchett has never looked better.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2007 at 00:48
I just watched "Lakposhtha ham parvaz mikonand" aka "Turtles Can Fly" and I think it will take a while before I see another movie making an equal impact.
Luckily I recorded it, and will definately see it again - there are more layers to explore. I can't recommend it enough.

Incredible performances from a cast mainly comprised of children and teens. Director/writer Bahman Ghobadi blends day-to-day experiences common to people everywhere (falling in love, being asked to do something you don't really know how to do, etc ...) , with some of the realities of life in a Kurdish village in Iraq before the (most recent) war, to create an incredibly moving film. It is at once specific to its time and place, and universal. There is horror and humour, honour and compassion.

It's beautifully filmed, too, but the power comes totally out of the stories and the kids, who are in effect playing themselves. (IMDB)

There are more reviews to be found - here is one of them (actually two)

Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2007 at 01:08
Vanilla Sky anyone?? I loved it (after the 3rd time I watched it and thus understood it!)
Crystall View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Crystall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2007 at 03:52
Last movie I saw was grandma's boy..
I enjoyed it
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2007 at 12:28
Originally posted by Crystall

Last movie I saw was grandma's boy..
I enjoyed it

Ah thats a great movie!
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2007 at 14:43
ahhh seeing double!! What's the insignia?
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2007 at 00:19

The flag of the Byzantines

Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2007 at 02:32
I saw Hitman and it was awsome, the experience of watching it was like getting hit by a man!

I am such an awful person!

Edited by Ponce de Leon - 27-Nov-2007 at 02:32
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2007 at 01:19

Originally posted by Reginmund

Exactly, which is what makes it the most awesome part of the movie, sheesh. Blanchett has never looked better

Well, yes, that was the most impressive part of the film.  I really should try and work on that expectation of mine for historical accuracy in movies. 

Originally posted by Kamikaze 378

Lol, Cate Blanchet actually did play as an elf in Lord of the Ring! She played as Galadriel which is funny as you mentioned it... dunno if you knew that already LOL
I did, in fact that was the reason I brought up the comparison.LOL

Edited by Justinian - 28-Nov-2007 at 01:19
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2007 at 04:17
I saw Hitman, it was horrible. I also saw that new Cate Blanchet movie about Elizabeth. It was really bad, I hate these historical movies that use Braveheart moments.
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2007 at 04:33
Originally posted by King John

I saw Hitman, it was horrible.

I believe you are horrible for making that horrible statement
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2007 at 13:42
Believe what ever you want Ponce, the fact of the matter is the writing was horrible as was most of the acting. In fact I wasn't even impressed with most of the fighting. I'd rather play the video game than see this movie.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 35>