Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Seen any movies recently?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 35>
Author
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seen any movies recently?
    Posted: 04-Oct-2007 at 19:25
The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum -  is a 1975 film adaptation by Volker Schlndorff and Margarethe von Trotta of the novel of the same name by Heinrich Bll.

The film, unlike the novel, ends with a scene at Ttges' funeral, with his publisher delivering a hypocritical condemnation of the murder as an infringement on the freedom of the press.

Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2007 at 12:43
Pan's Labarinth.

Grossly over-rated I thought, but still watchable.

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2007 at 06:13
The Producers, the original, was on TCM the other night.  I found it whimsical.  The character LSD is obviously dated but Mel Brooks proves his comedic genius yet again.  "Springtime for Hitler."LOL  I don't know which character was more amusing Gene Wilders' or Kenneth Mars's.

Edited by Justinian - 10-Oct-2007 at 06:16
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2007 at 12:21
Originally posted by Dolphin

Pan's Labarinth.

Grossly over-rated I thought, but still watchable.

I dunno, watched it last night thought it was very good. Some of it was a little ott, but I did like the relationship between the Fascist soldiers, their captain and the rebels in the woods fighting a hopeless resistence. Something great about the whole thing if you ask me.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2007 at 14:47
Watch it again, Parnell, lacks so much depth compared to some other films with similar reputations. Compare it to Taxi Driver, which didn't win an Oscar.. And as I'll sure you'll notice, some of the plot threads don't add up, with some parts (like the man with eye hands scene) were put in place purely for visual spectacle, wih no real bearing, link or importance to the rest of the plot. A visual spectacle, but it sure won't make you think. And that's why it's grossly over-rated.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2007 at 07:07
Quite a few recently:   Valley of the Kings with Robert Taylor, Elephant Walk with Elizabeth Taylor, Too late the Hero with Michael Caine, The Greatest Story Ever Told with Max von Sydow and many others, Don Juan with John Barrymore, Genghis Khan with Omar Sharif, Viva Villa!, the end of Nicholas and Alexandra, saw Gladiator a few times this past week as well.  In case you're wondering TCM (Turner Classic Movies) is showing 57 biographical films this month, lets just say I've had some free time this past week.Embarrassed

Edit:  also watched the first Harry Potter again.

Edited by Justinian - 21-Oct-2007 at 07:08

Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2007 at 13:56
Well this weekend I saw:

Zodiac- Long but quite enjoyable

Letters of Iwo Jima - Very emotionaly moving and a good story, was much better than its counterpart if you ask me

and Children of Men- a very good movie and well done if you ask me.
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2007 at 06:55

I watched Meet the Robinsons today with my little brother and sister and it was a very enjoyable movie with some good lessons for life.

ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 20:31

Saw the movie Ratatouille with my kids,it was brilliant.

To be recommended.

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 21:43
I saw Eastern Promises with Viggo Mortensen I highly recommend it. If you liked A History of Violence you will like this movie.

I also saw the new Elizabeth movie, it was absolutely dreadful.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 21:53
Originally posted by Dolphin

Watch it again, Parnell, lacks so much depth compared to some other films with similar reputations. Compare it to Taxi Driver, which didn't win an Oscar.. And as I'll sure you'll notice, some of the plot threads don't add up, with some parts (like the man with eye hands scene) were put in place purely for visual spectacle, wih no real bearing, link or importance to the rest of the plot. A visual spectacle, but it sure won't make you think. And that's why it's grossly over-rated.

I think you're wrong about Pan's Labyrinth. It is as good as people say. In regards to the scene that you claim is merely there for spectacle I would have to respectfully disagree. It does indeed contribute to the plot, it is part of her test to prove that she should return to the magical kingdom from which she originated. And actually if you take the whole movie in perspective the movie is less about war and fairy tales and more about dealing with the death of children, much like the Martin McDonagh play "The Pillowman."
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 21:53
I went to the Sneak Preview tuesday, and we got something horrible. I am not even sure what the title was, something like WAR-Rogue Assassin, and next to Jet Li and Jason Statham it also contained about every single action movie clich you have ever heard of. Every one-liner and every plot twist was visible on the horizon miles away, except for the one at the end which was so unbelieveable and completely bizarre that no-one could see it coming (or understand it) and to top it off all of the exessively present violence was useless, over the top and boring. 

Advice to all present: Do not see it. No really. Don't

Edited by Aelfgifu - 25-Oct-2007 at 21:56

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 22:18
Disturbia. It wasn't bad.
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
Siege Tower View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 04:59
The last king of scotland very good indeed.

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 03:46
Just watched Old School on tv.  I found it whimsical, Will Ferrell is always amusing.

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 03:50
I saw Death at a funeral, twice, in one day actually. Still amusing the second time though. Also saw Ratatouille a while ago. On the topic of films; I have to do a film for English on the "Imaginative Journey". The film has to be "high brow"...any ideas?
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 06:25
I just saw Tim Burton's "The Nightmare Before Christmas" in 3D. It was very good. I understand why it was an instant classic when it originally came out.
SuN. View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote SuN. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 07:47
I see a new movie every week. Almost. This week I have seen Saawariya released yesterday.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2007 at 21:11
Legends of the Fall.

One of my favorite moves of all time!
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2007 at 23:56

..just watched Amazing Grace, and although i was really looking forward to seeing this film, i was left quite disappointed...

......it was a bit of a 'Paris Hilton' film, pretty to look at but without any real depth or ability to grasp the weightier issues....shame really, it really should have been a great film with all that acting talent involved, not to mention the story that could have been told....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 35>