Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Seen any movies recently?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 35>
Author
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seen any movies recently?
    Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 16:02
I can't wait for Beowulf to come out tonight. It's going to be horrible since every version of Beowulf that hollywood puts out always is. I made the mistake of seeing the Last Legion it was absolutely horrible, a train wreck if you will, I couldn't stop watching no matter how much I wanted to.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 16:27
What's wrong with Beowulf & Grendel? Stellan Skarsgrd as king Hrothger can never be wrong! And they have quite a few Nordic actors, instead of Americans with ridiculous accents.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0402057/
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 17:46
Originally posted by elenos

Watched "Quills" about the Marquis De Sade. An arty film but a good one.

I love that movie... I even have the DVD. So beautiful.

I saw a curious movie called "the perfect creature". It was not too bad, as long as you have no great expectations before you start.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 21:04
i saw 'the wind that shakes the barley' few days ago. not exactly a great movie but a good topic and it was obviously difficult to make a 2 hour movie about such a vast topic.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 22:45
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

What's wrong with Beowulf & Grendel? Stellan Skarsgrd as king Hrothger can never be wrong! And they have quite a few Nordic actors, instead of Americans with ridiculous accents.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0402057/

Actually I enjoyed the Nordic actors over American actors with wierd crappy accents. For Beowulf and Grendel I thought the writing was particularly poor. I also can't stand Gerard Butler, I think he is a really bad actor. However I think Beowulf & Grendel will be a better adeptation of the poem than the new Beowulf.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2007 at 01:25
Watched Support your Local Sheriff for probably the 5th time.  James Garner is just hilarious.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2007 at 02:52

Striptease with Demi Moore, made me think about the two, big, wholesome, squeezy, caressable, warm, bouncy issues in my life...Tits and Demi Moore's tits.

Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2007 at 18:58
Originally posted by King John

I made the mistake of seeing the Last Legion it was absolutely horrible, a train wreck if you will, I couldn't stop watching no matter how much I wanted to.

Yeah, I went and saw it with some friends back home.  It became progressively worse until finally degenerating into a train wreck, as you described.  We were pretty much laughing at it by the end.  "Byzantine" warrior-women from India?  Generic Excalibur sword from Julius Caesar?  Come on! LOL

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2007 at 19:18
I actually saw Beowulf iun 3D on friday, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. There were some very funny parts to it, I however don't know if those parts were meant to be funny. Generally it wasn't horrible. I was pleasantly surprised.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2007 at 15:33
I saw Atonement yesterday. I had read the book, so I knew the nasty bits I was in for, but my friend did not...I think she was quite as depresses as we came out as I was after finishing th book. It is quite the tearjerker in square... Pretty nice, though a bit slow in places.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 19-Nov-2007 at 15:34

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2007 at 04:55
I watched Elephant yesterday, a very good movie in the way they showed the ordinary kids lives.

also watched Driven with my lil bro today cause he was home sick. Man its an awsome movie.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2007 at 07:25

I recently watched a new Russian historical fantazy movie "1612" and liked it a lot. Clap 

Hope it will be available in English soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvuMD_BhJpM&feature=related

Edited by Sarmat12 - 20-Nov-2007 at 07:33
Σαυρομάτης
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2007 at 13:45
Originally posted by Dolphin

Striptease with Demi Moore, made me think about the two, big, wholesome, squeezy, caressable, warm, bouncy issues in my life...Tits and Demi Moore's tits.

Doesn't that make four, big, wholesome, squeezy, caressable, warm bouncy issues?

Got around to watching Curse of the Golden Flower (see previous post), which turned out to be a visually stunning movie with a captivating story (court intrigue in Tang dynasty China, with assassinations, incest and huge armies clad in pure silver and gold bashing together) and a surprisng ending. It's a must see for everyone who enjoyed Hero or House of Flying Daggers. 
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2007 at 13:54
Tits is one issue, and Demi Moore's tits is another...It's like battered fish and chips, they must be grouped together for maximum enjoyment..Cheeky

GroundHog Day - brilliant show!!

The Simpsons Movie - like a pretty average 'new' episode - in other words pretty poor..
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2007 at 18:34
Originally posted by Sarmat12

I recently watched a new Russian historical fantazy movie "1612" and liked it a lot. Clap 

a Polish friend of mine also saw it and didn't liked it...i have yet to see it...but since you said fantasy movie, i'm probably not going to like it either...
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2007 at 19:07

I also recently saw this movie. Nothing great, but entertaining to some extent. The computer effects were amazing, the whole story not so - too many fantasy stuff for my taste.

Also the underlying nationalistic tone was too noticeable Smile , for example the comparison between the orthodox and catholic faiths, of course favorable to the former.

And most funny thing of all, the main hero was some Russian serf named Andrey, who becomes master swordsman after having a dream in one night and also a master gunner and designs cannons and munition for the defense of Russian town and with one uber accurate cannon shot destroys almost half of the Polish army.

Taking everything aside, it was the military historical aspect why I wanted to see this movie and it let me down. The art of war in this movie is comparable to the Lord of the Rings.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2007 at 19:22
Guys, like I said it's just for entertainment. That movie doesn't claim to show "the true history" like for example "Mongol." That's why I didn't have any strong expectations about the historic accuracy and liked it.

Edited by Sarmat12 - 20-Nov-2007 at 21:04
Σαυρομάτης
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2007 at 19:32
Originally posted by Temujin

a Polish friend of mine also saw it and didn't liked it...i have yet to see it...but since you said fantasy movie, i'm probably not going to like it either...

I'm not surprised. I guess your friend didn't like the fact that the movie had real Polish actors. The funny thing is that the Polish villain form 1612, was played by the same guy as the Polish fictional hero Jan Skrzetuski from "With Fire and Sword" movie.
Σαυρομάτης
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2007 at 19:41

I'm not surprised. I guess your friend didn't like the fact that the movie had real Polish actors. The funny thing is that the Polish villain form 1612, was played by the same guy as the Polish fictional hero Jan Skrzetuski from "With Fire and Sword" movie.

The Polish actor was very good in his evil character, very believable and confident acting.
From Russian side I liked the actors who played Minin and Pozarsky. Too bad they had such minor roles. Was very positively surprised to see the "Russian special agent" as Pozarsky, can't remember his name.LOL

Edited by axeman - 20-Nov-2007 at 19:41
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2007 at 20:16
I don't think there was Minin in the movie. Only Pozharksky, played by Mikhail Porechnikov.

I also actually liked the Polish character a lot. The Spanish guy from the movie was also actually played by a real Spanish actor who was in Goya's Ghosts.
Σαυρομάτης
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 35>