Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The oldest mosques

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The oldest mosques
    Posted: 27-Dec-2004 at 15:11

Mir Zubayr Mosque, Sirjan, Kerman (an Umayyad mosque)

Mosques which are known as the oldest mosques in Iran were in fact some fire temples belong to the Sassanid period,

Tarikhaneh in Damghan which was probably a Sassanid palace or fire temple, is the oldest mosque in Iran.

The minaret rising over the mosque is said to belong to Seljuks and the tiled inscription over the minaret is in fact the oldest tile work in Islamic architecture.

The prefix "Tari", a Turkish term, means God and "khaneh" means house so the word means the house of God.

The second oldest mosque in Iran is Atiq (Ancient) mosque in Shiraz

But the first really building as a mosque in Iran is the Fahraj mosque in Mehriz:

Fahraj Mosque, Mehriz, Yazd

Fizzil View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fizzil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2004 at 16:06
Great pictures 

Really beautiful architecture

cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 15:37
I would mention the Grand Mosque of Cordoba (Spain, VIII - X centuries).
It is probably one of biggest mosques. Even ugly, spanish build cathedral inside of this mosque doesn't destroy its architecture.

Edited by cavalry4ever
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2005 at 07:11
One of the most interesting mosques is the Damascus Umawwid Mosque converted from a Christian church (which was originially a pagan temple). I advise you to see it
[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2005 at 05:21

masjid al bayah. check it out. from the time of mohammed sala allah alaih wa sallam

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2005 at 16:35
The Carsija (Marketplace) Mosque is one of the oldest in Sarajevo, Bosnia - it was built in the early 1500s.

The Gazi Husrev Begova Mosque is Sarajevo's oldest and second largest. It was built in 1532 by the man who transformed Sarajevo from a village into a city:

When the people of the Bosnian city of Bihac converted to Islam in the late 1400s, they converted their town church into a mosque. This building is incredibly unique because the original church was a product of the unique Bosnian Church, and because it was the same people who built the church as transformed it into a mosque, the two events taking place within a single lifetime of each other:

[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2005 at 18:56
yeah the bihac dzamija is nice, im from cazin right next to bihac
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2005 at 19:23
Bihac Dzamija is unique indeed.
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2005 at 13:24
It was the Red Mosque of Berat. But that was blwon to bit, anyway. It would have to be between these two Mosques

Only the structure on the right is the mosque, the other two are churches.

and

Its called "Xhamia e Vlores" it was built by the same man who built the Blue Mosque in Istanbul. In Albanian btw, "xhami" equals mosque. There an old saying in Albanian
"burri ne shtepi, eshte si dreqi ne Xhami"
"The man at home, is like the devil in the Mosque.
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2005 at 13:24
It was the Red Mosque of Berat. But that was blwon to bit, anyway. It would have to be between these two Mosques

Only the structure on the right is the mosque, the other two are churches.

and

Its called "Xhamia e Vlores" it was built by the same man who built the Blue Mosque in Istanbul. In Albanian btw, "xhami" equals mosque. There an old saying in Albanian
"burri ne shtepi, eshte si dreqi ne Xhami"
"The man at home, is like the devil in the Mosque."
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2005 at 13:36
^ Albania has a lot of wise sayings.

I like "Do not drink the waters the still waters"...I can't remember many of the others I've heard.

The only one from here I really like is "Those who reach the highest peaks would freeze and starve alone  if they didn't come back down."

Viva depression. Hahaha.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2011 at 19:35
I'd have thought the mosque at Mecca would have been pretty old. What exactly is inside the Kaaba?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2011 at 20:52
Originally posted by Nick1986

I'd have thought the mosque at Mecca would have been pretty old.

The first İslamic city is not Mecca, it is Medina, so the oldest mosque is also in this city: Quba Mosque
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quba_Mosque

Anatolia
the first mosque:Habib-i Neccar Mosque in Antakya/Antioch

the first turkish mosque:Ebul Manucehr Mosque in Ani (Medieval Armenian Capital, near Armenia-Turkey Border)-1072

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2011 at 00:31
Unfortunately Saudis give no value to the historical buildings, old mosques of Mecca, Medina and other cities of Saudi Arabia have been completely destroyed and new ones have been built.
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2011 at 05:40
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Unfortunately Saudis give no value to the historical buildings, old mosques of Mecca, Medina and other cities of Saudi Arabia have been completely destroyed and new ones have been built.

Yes, I agree you. There is no value for historical buildings

I remember that Turkey and Turkish citizen got angry when Saudi decided to destory Ottoman Castle in Mecca

This castle wasn't anymore Ajyad Castle(1781-2002/R.I.P.)

this complex is building on castle's hill

Now we have just this 1/25 scale model of the castle

I am angry with the saudi government, but when I try to think as a saudi, this is a bit acceptable.

Saudi didn't add much things in Arab world. Arab's empires reached the top in Egypt, in Iraq and in Spain, not in Arabia. That's why I don't hope them a culture of protection history and I guess,  current perspective is based on bedevi culture in saudi so you can't wait them to respect for historical buildings, their perspective is just function. This culture ia a result of living in desert and tough enviroment, you can't develop unnecessary emotions with your items, so I am angry but I can understand. 

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2011 at 19:04
That's terrible. They should be preserving their ancient buildings as these are the things that attract touristsDisapprove
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2011 at 22:08

That's terrible. They should be preserving their ancient buildings as these are the things that attract touristsDisapprove

It is terrible for me as a Turk. However countries and people should protect their historical past, firstly for theirselves not for foreign people like tourists and in Saudi case, it is not a misunderstanding, not protecting the ancient building is a kind of belief or culture in Saudi

" Wahhabi religious policy that emphasizes the Oneness of God (Tawhid) and entirely rejects the worship of divine proxies to God or even the practices and habits which might lead to idolatry and polytheistic association"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destruction_of_early_Islamic_heritage_sites

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Parashuraman View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Parashuraman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2011 at 22:55
Cheraman Juma Masjid - One of the oldest mosques in India built in 629 AD according to the plaque in front of the building, situated in Kodungallur in the southern Indian state of Kerala.

Here's what it used to look like:

Now:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheraman_Juma_Masjid

Edited by Parashuraman - 23-Nov-2011 at 22:57
Arab View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2011 at 16:30

Haha, Saudi Arabia won't even allow archeologists to excavate in the country, because it might cause people to "stray away from Islam". Sad really. Who knows what treasures lie hidden beneath the sands of the desert.

Anyway, here is the oldest mosque in my country, the Khamis Mosque, built about a thousand years ago. It's in pretty bad shape at the moment.

"Prayer is when you talk to God. Insanity is when you talk to God and he answers back."
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2011 at 19:25
The Saudis sound almost as strict as their Islamist enemies. Maybe the next king will be more open-minded and allow archaeologists to return?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>