Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

a ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AfrikaJamaika View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote AfrikaJamaika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a ?
    Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 17:22
I was wondering exactly how did every different race of people develop their own unique voice, so unique as that if they tryed to sound like a race of people that they weren't any part of, or mixed with(unless they can do the voice of other people)....They would still sound like the race that they are apart of  but just trying to sound like another race?.......For example:

a Afrikan man trying to sound like a caucaisan man will usually still sound like his race "Afrikan" but it justs sound like he is imitating the voice of a man of the European race.....

A European man trying to sound like a Afrikan man will usually still sound like his race "European" but it justs sound like he is imitating the voice of a man of the Afrikan race...........etc

So i was wondering if anyone knows how all of the races of today developed their own unique voices?

Thanks in advance.....

Edited by AfrikaJamaika - 29-Dec-2006 at 17:26
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 17:40
Curious question...
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 19:51
It is not a matter of development of peoples at all. Sounds are learned by each small child by imitating those around it. A baby will make any number of sounds, but as only some of these get a response from its parents, it will develop more and more sounds which fit in with the language the parents are speaking to it. After about the fifth year, when sense of language is well developed, a child loses the ability to learn completely new sounds. After this age, any person can only learn to speak any other language fluently and without accent if the languages shares its sounds with the persons native language. Any other sounds will only be reached by approximation.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 20:04
A former teacher, professor in Spanish, I once got during a Minor at my uni once told an interesting anecdote about that. He has a second house in Spain, which he occasionaly visits with his (little) children. Those children have a friend in the Netherlands called Laura and also one in Spain. For adults both Laura's have the same name, but because the 'r' in Spanish is pronounced slightly different than in Dutch (a difference that is almost unhearable if you're not actively trying to notice it) his children consider it two different names, and correct someone who uses the wrong 'r'.

So that proves that children are able to hear and pronounce all sounds, but gradually lose the ability to recognize and pronounce sounds their native language doesn't use.

Edited by Mixcoatl - 30-Dec-2006 at 20:10
Lepidodendron View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Lepidodendron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 20:12
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

It is not a matter of development of peoples at all. Sounds are learned by each small child by imitating those around it. A baby will make any number of sounds, but as only some of these get a response from its parents, it will develop more and more sounds which fit in with the language the parents are speaking to it. After about the fifth year, when sense of language is well developed, a child loses the ability to learn completely new sounds. After this age, any person can only learn to speak any other language fluently and without accent if the languages shares its sounds with the persons native language. Any other sounds will only be reached by approximation.

Actually I thought the topic starter was talking about the voice as such, not phonology of different languages. For instance, in American music there is something which is generally perceived as a distinctly 'black' voice. But this may be due to a musical tradition evolving around (or in association with) a certain type of voice rather than racial differences as such.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 21:13
I wonder if the people that believe in racial differences on speaking can distinguish a Black or White Cuban or Brazilian when singing. Can you distinguished them?

Just try. Then, come back to the thread.

Penguin

Lepidodendron View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Lepidodendron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 23:59
Actually, I don't know any Cuban or Brazilian singers, black or white, so it's difficult to say.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2007 at 10:32
'Race vioces', lol, good one. Blacks in Britian sound, well British, unless they grew up somewhere else. Which pretty much explains accents in a nutshell.
Arrrgh!!"
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2007 at 14:34
Althought i can't agree about the racial voice, the popular knowledge say that each race have their own voice. Well, this is not true but isn't the first time that i surprise imself saying "huh, he talk like the blacks", specially with black singers wich at the moment that they sound by the radio everybody can recognice, 90% if they are women.

xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2007 at 15:40
hmm most people will say east asian have verry high tones of voices.

But what about some of those japanese guys they have some deep voices especially when there angry.

I totaly agree with Aelfgifu on this one
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Mayra View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Mayra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2007 at 21:06
I wonder if the people that believe in racial differences on speaking can distinguish a Black or White Cuban or Brazilian when singing. Can you distinguished them?

hehehe...this is good. Actually there are very few singers in brasil who could actually call themselves some kind of racially pure "white" ( we don't have white/black per se ) but I understand what you are trying. Since I know the singers in brasil already I can say yes, I know a difference but.....Hmmmm...since almost everyone has a little bit of dende oil mixed into the blood...and brasil is defineitely not the u.s. ( thank god ) with its over the top racial weirdness, I will have to weigh in and say No, you cannot really "tell" if a singer is black or white in brasil, but again, the country is not set up to look at society this way, this is an american thing. We have many shades of brown, white skin and freckles with orange afros, we have everything and noone really cares.  However, when my husband and I came up here to the u.s. I swear I remember something about the black community complaining that Christina Aguilera was singing like a "black girl" and how could she, she was a fake or some thing like this, then suddenly she was okay because hey she is latina ( huh? ) I find this very strange....the people who could be called "light skin" in brasil, upon arriving in the u.s. are suddenly "black", and the ones in brasil who are called "white"  ( meaning not african slave families ) by the native indians upon arrival to u.s. are now latinos. People here who identify as "black" sometimes make me burst out laughing at the t.v. because they are nothing but white white white in brasil. It is so strange here. I do think there is a "black" singing style and speaking style in the u.s.
I find it strange that someone not from the south will speak this way if they are born up north, but what do I know.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
" I have no particular talent. I am merely inquisitive". Albert Einstein
 Post Reply Post Reply