Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Being Muslim to You

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Being Muslim to You
    Posted: 26-Dec-2006 at 14:12
This is to all the Muslim members of the forum:

When somebody identifies himself as a Muslim, what standards do you hold that person by?

Secondly are most of your friends Muslims?
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2006 at 18:00
When somebody identifies himself as a Muslim, what standards do you hold that person by?

I hold them by standards I expect muslims to behave like, which are a good deal higher than the standards I expect anyone else to behave like. For example, if a muslim drinks alcohol, I think badly of that person, if a non-muslim drinks, I couldn't care less. However if a non-muslim doesn't drink, then he earns my respect.

Secondly are most of your friends Muslims?

Most of my friends are not muslims.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2006 at 20:33
I give the most value to his character...Honesty, humane behavior, helpful, friendly,tolerant and non-prejudicial approach..

These are what I look for in all people,but I expect those more in people who identify themselves as Muslims.

If he drinks or not, that is his own choice and it is between God and himself/herself, but values and principles are what matter for me.

But unfortunately, these kind of deeds and behavior are progressively decreasing among Muslims in my humble opinion.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2006 at 09:45

For me a good person regardless of religion is one who follows his own beliefs truly. I judge people by that.

Most of my friends are muslim.

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2006 at 11:44
I do not judge people on the basis of their religion.

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2006 at 15:04

Judging other people will gain you or your case nothing. Trying to understand them is so much more fertile whether you succeed in doing this or not.

And your lack of understanding does not have to be their fault.

xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2006 at 15:18
Originally posted by Northman

Judging other people will gain you or your case nothing. Trying to understand them is so much more fertile whether you succeed in doing this or not.

And your lack of understanding does not have to be their fault.

I 'm joining with Northman on this

Judiging leads to prejudging and I don't like that.

I said it before and say it agian I only believe in acts

Good & evil are just sides like all the armies who fight eachother there are good and bad people in them

A person could be religious and rotten inside a athiest could be the most pure person in the world Who am I to judge
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2006 at 15:49
I would say that what lies within ones person ultimately manifests itself in his outward actions and people are judged by their actions and not their beleifs. Humans are born judgemental. It is good to judge your environment of which other people are a part. An ignorance based judgement is not really a jugdement but just plain ingorance.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2006 at 18:26
Hmm I allways say Ignorance is the most dangerous thing in the world

I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2006 at 19:03

And your lack of understanding does not have to be their fault

You cannot judge a person unless you understand them, and you should always assume that you don't understand them - because you probably don't, thus adding a large degree of uncertainty into your judgement. But judging people, although it is not fashionable to admit it, is a very important and unavoidable part of human social interaction.

It is wrong if you judge a person on a misunderstanding, or if you judge a person based on something other than their own character, but not judging a person (if it can ever truely be done) could get you into a lot of trouble.

A persons religion, culture and background determines which moral code a person would come from, and thus determines what taboos a person would break. Thus a person who has a bit of a rebellious streak in from one background will break different taboos than a person from another. For example in the case of girlfriends, if they came from a traditional arab & muslim background, and a strict family, they would probably rebel by having a (one) girlfriend, but is still fairly conservative with what he does with her, and stays with her for a long time (if not forever). However if they are from a typical anglo-australian not religious background, the same type of person could frequently change girlfriends and have no limits to what he is willing to do with her.
Thus, two people who are in this case equal in morality will do different things due to their different backgrounds. Although it should be remembered that you can never know a persons background 100%, thus adding uncertainty. If the arab is acting in the same manner as the anglo, then, probably, the anglo is a more moral person.

Complete failure to judge a person can get you into situations that you don't want to be in, it can result in doing things that you don't want to do, it can get you in trouble with the law. Who you mix with is very important. You should judge, but always know that your judgements could be wrong (but then again, they might not). For example if moderators did not judge forummers, based on the CoC, AE would be swamped by people who would make AE an unenjoyable place to visit.

How you act based upon your judgements it one of the most important aspects, I consider it best, regardless of how bad your judgement of a person may be, to be friendly to that person on the outside, even if you never want to see that person again on the inside. There is no point letting other people know what your judgement of a person is (unless the judgement is good) - because you could be very wrong, and who knows, maybe that person will be useful to you in the future. It always pays to have many friends and no enemies, or at least, it is best that your enemies don't know that they are your enemies.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 27-Dec-2006 at 19:05
The Grim Reaper View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote The Grim Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2006 at 22:26

I have a unique set of friends, and we all get along "swell"! Smile My friends are White Americans, Black Americans, Black Africans, Mexicans, one Cuban, one Turk, one Bosnian, one Albanian, Pakistanis, Indians, Afghans, Persians, and Arabs from practically every Arab country in the world.

I don't judge people based on their religion, race, or ethnic make up (although I am guilty of judging people based on their physical appearance LOL) but I do hold people who identify themselves as "devout" or "religious" to a higher moral standard.
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2006 at 08:58
Right now , I live in Latvia, so naturally most of my friends are non-muslimsLOL

I have been to abroad for several times..I met people from dozens of countries.. One thing I understood well is that it is all about one's self-improvement combined with the level of intellectuality.

Also I tend to see all people from Adam and Eve rather than muslims and christians. Therefore, i do not  hold different standarts for people coming from different religious backgrounds.

But sometimes i must admit that i compare in my mind the ways christians and muslims live. Sometimes i think christians do live better because they are less collectivist. Sometime i think muslims do live better because they do put a faith in God and Divine Justice.

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 21:18
    We have very few Muslims in our area but today at the community center I live near I saw several. I was told it was a religious observation but I am not sure what it was for. I will only judge someone on a case by case basis but knowing the history and extreme beliefs of some Muslims I put my guard up at first till I get to know them. It was good to go to a Muslim country because it helped me see that many Muslims are good people and kind like people of other religions and view points.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
 Post Reply Post Reply