Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Most Important Battle For Christianit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Most Important Battle For Christianit
    Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 12:27
A raiding party had the potential to take the Iberian Peninsula. So if that raiding party was able to open the doors to Moorish expansion into Spain why then would a raiding party not have the ability to open the doors to Muslim/Moorish expansion into France and beyond?
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 12:33
I have another candidate for this, though I agree with the importance of the battles you all listed. How about the Persian campaign of Julian the Apostate? If he hadn't lost his life in it, he may have conceivably turned the tide against christianity, and led to a resurgence of paganism (which was still dominant anyway). This may have pushed back indeterminately the adoption of christianity as the official religion of the empire, with all the consequences which that entails.
That being said, the whole series of wars between the Byzantines and the Sassanids during the reign of Heraclius, is very important, as it weakened both the Romans and the Persians enough at a critical time for Islam, to allow the muslim Arabs to conquer large parts of the first empire and anihilate the second, and establish them as a major threat to christianity for the next thousand years.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 14:06
Originally posted by King John

A raiding party had the potential to take the Iberian Peninsula. So if that raiding party was able to open the doors to Moorish expansion into Spain why then would a raiding party not have the ability to open the doors to Muslim/Moorish expansion into France and beyond?

You still are not getting the point. The Muslim forces were too small to hold onto territories in Christian Europe. Even if they did win the battle, the Moorish forces would never have penetrated far into France.

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 16:20
I think you are missing the point. My point was that in 711 the Moors invaded Spain with little more than a raiding party and took the whole of the Iberian Peninsula. Why is it then so hard to conjecture that it is possible (not probable) that the Moorish forces could have penetrated into France and possibly beyond?
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2007 at 09:02
That's because in 711, the Arabs were actually invited to the Iberian Peninsula, to take part in a civil war which was raging among the Wisigoths. Also, the Wisigoth kingdom was quite weak, and its dominant Goth population quite small compared to the native population, as opposed to a very strong, more unitary Frankish kingdom.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2007 at 09:06
Originally posted by King John

I think you are missing the point. My point was that in 711 the Moors invaded Spain with little more than a raiding party and took the whole of the Iberian Peninsula. Why is it then so hard to conjecture that it is possible (not probable) that the Moorish forces could have penetrated into France and possibly beyond?
It is hard to think that a raiding party could take such a strong kingdom that was united. As Decebal has pointed out, the Frankish civlization is not the same as the Moorish civilization.

Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2007 at 11:22
The battle of Varna in 1444.I know that christians suffered defeat but it is still an important battle for christianity.I mean important in negative way,because chrisitan lands were lost to muslims for centuries.Imagine what would happen if Vladislav III won that battle.There would be a hope for the balkan orthodox population and Constantinople could be saved.
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
DesertHistorian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote DesertHistorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 18:34
I would agree that the second siege of Vienna and the Battle of Lepanto were probably the two most crucial battles fought between Islam and Christendom for control of Europe and the Mediterranean.
If the Ottoman navy had been successful at Lepanto Islam would have control all sea faring trade which would have restricted and limited the European economy to the point of chaos.
If the Ottoman's had been successful at the second siege of Vienna, it would have given the Ottomans a strong foothold in central Europe and may have allowed for further expansion of Islam. Instead, the defeat at Vienna started a gradual decline of the Ottoman empire that eventually collapsed at the end of World War I.

the_oz View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote the_oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 12:36
hi
is İslam only foe of christianity? i mean doesnt christian nations have any other rivals?
all of the battles that you said are battles against muslims.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 14:36
It's not the only rival, Christianity made war on Pagans too. However the battles that are being discussed here are battles for domination of a geographical area i.e. battles for the Iberian Peninsula, battle to keep the Moors from coming into France. There are many people on this thread who don't see these battles as important as earlier battles like that of the MIlvian Bridge (fought between a Christian general and later Emperor and other Pagan claimants).
nikodemos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote nikodemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 18:15
Originally posted by the_oz

hi
is İslam only foe of christianity? i mean doesnt christian nations have any other rivals?
all of the battles that you said are battles against muslims.

Most of the times the so-called ''christian'' nations fought against eachother.
If i am not mistaken, two years before the siege of Vienna by sultan Suleyman, the Holy Roman Empire sacked Rome.

Edited by nikodemos - 12-Jan-2007 at 18:16
The Grim Reaper View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote The Grim Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 20:07

I don't know if someone has already mentioned this or not since I did not bother to read all the posts, but the most important battle for Christianity:

The Battle of Tours

October 10, 732 AD marks the conclusion of the Battle of Tours, arguably one of the most decisive battles in all of history.

A Muslim army, in a crusading search for land and the end of Christianity, after the conquest of Syria, Egypt, and North Africa, began to invade Western Europe under the leadership of Abd-er Rahman, governor of Spain. Abd-er Rahman led an infantry of 60,000 to 400,000 soldiers across the Western Pyrenees and toward the Loire River, but they were met just outside the city of Tours by Charles Martel, known as the Hammer, and the Frankish Army.

For the Muslims, the death of their leader caused a sharp setback and they had no choice but to retreat back across the Pyrenees, never to return again.

Not only did this prove to be a decisive battle for the Christians, but the Battle of Tours is considered the high water mark of the Muslim invasion of Western Europe.

The outcome of this battle determined the fate of Europe -whether she would remain Christian or be converted to Islam.

Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 21:14
Ah, the Jewish Library says 60-400,000 soldiers, while other more modern forces say just around 20-30,000. I think the Jewish Library's estimate is somewhat discredited by the Muslim source of 80,000 soldiers.

DesertHistorian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote DesertHistorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 16:51
If you want to look at recent history, although Islam still plays a part in it, there is the on-going war between Christianity and the Marxist/communists in the Soviet Union and China. Also included in that would be the Marxists in Cuba, and Central and South America which threaten us more economically than militarily. The on-going battles with the Soviet Union have been limited to indirect combat for the most part in places like Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, the middle east, sub-Saharan Africa, and Central and South America. With China our only direct combat with them was in Korea, although they supposedly sent some troops into Vietnam.
The greatest battle facing Christianity has still to make itself clearly known and is in the present and future, not the past.
Aleksandr01 View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Aleksandr01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2007 at 17:38
Originally posted by DesertHistorian

If you want to look at recent history, although Islam still plays a part in it, there is the on-going war between Christianity and the Marxist/communists in the Soviet Union and China. Also included in that would be the Marxists in Cuba, and Central and South America which threaten us more economically than militarily. The on-going battles with the Soviet Union have been limited to indirect combat for the most part in places like Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, the middle east, sub-Saharan Africa, and Central and South America. With China our only direct combat with them was in Korea, although they supposedly sent some troops into Vietnam.
The greatest battle facing Christianity has still to make itself clearly known and is in the present and future, not the past.

Well, during the Cold War, religion was not really an issue. It was never Communists vs. Christians. That's just unreal. Communists were trying to bring down Democracy, not Christianity.

On your second point, I don't think that Christianity will face many major battles in the future. It's a major religion now, it's out there, people know about it, and there's no one who is persecuting it. If people want to be Christian, they can be Christian. I don't see religion as such a big factor in wars now as it was a thousand years ago. Wars today are mostly fought for nationality. I doubt they will revert back to being the product of religious strife as they were a thousand years ago.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2007 at 15:27
The most important battle for Christianity was the siege of Constantinopol in year 716.The great city was besieged by 200,000 fanatic arab army.The arab conquest of Europe had 2 directions-from North Africa and Spain and through Asia minor and Constantinopol.The heaviest blow of the muslims was exactly at Constantinopol.The muslim zealots were led by their famous general Maslama.The byzantines were shocked to see so many soldiers at the gates of their capital.So the emperor sent an emissary to the bulgarian khan Tervel for help.The khan was clever enough to see the enormous danger from the arabs.So he led the slavonic infantry batallions and the fearsome bulgarian cavalry to help the Christian Empire.In an epic battle at the gates of Constantinopol he crushed the main arab forces.By that time bulgarians had the best horsemen in the world.With just a single terrifying cavalry attack they killed over 30,000 arab soldiers forcing them to lift the siege.One arab historian wrote that the muslim soldiers were scared by 3 things-the sea, the wrath of their general and the bulgarians.After the battle the byzantine emperor gave the bulgarian khan the title "Kessar".
Top Gun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Top Gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2007 at 04:30
I would rather say Tours because if the muslim army would have marched on no one could have stopped it and islam would have spread but what the church acknowlidge is that lepanto was the real battle that was important for christianity
Slick View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Slick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2007 at 04:35

I agree with Tours. From what I understand, the Battle of Tours was a decisive battle that stopped Islam from spreading further than Spain. I've also heard, however, that the Byzantine Empire was important in keeping Islam out of Eastern Europe for many years. The Ottoman Turk Empire, which took over the Byzantines did, after all, invade Eastern Europe later...

Come to think about it, the different Ottoman failures to capture Vienna might be considered pretty important battles for Christianity as well.

Edited by Slick - 20-Jan-2007 at 04:38
"Dai Ichi Dai Man Dai Kichi"
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2007 at 20:54
Just a few things about Tours:
1) The Muslim forces did come back after and went on raiding for about 50 years.
2) The Muslim were overstreached (as were the Ottoman in front of Vienna), as proved by the fact they never managed to finish the job in Northern Spain nor to invade Southern Italy although they had several strong holds there around Tarento.
3) The Muslim when Christian forces were even weaker conquered a few spots around the Mediterranean but never managed to conquere Gaule or Italy, in spite of a total naval superiority.

Ultimately the most important battles for Christianity in my opinion are:
1) Massada when the last hebrew resistance had been crushed which opened the gates to Roman conquest to Palestine and destibilized the Jews to the point of needing new spiritual forces (here comes Jesus).
2) Zama: as a symbol of the Roman expansion without which if Christianity had ever appeared it would have remained a mere regional cult, another Jewish sect an little more.
I am a free donkey!
padem View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote padem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2007 at 19:02
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the battle of the Yarmouk river.  All the other battles mentioned deal with what ifs and what might have happened... but the results of this battle were very real indeed.Syria, Palestine, Egypt and in the long run North Africa became parts of the Arab Chaliphate owing to that battle.Up until that time they were all a major part of the Christian world.

Three of the five original Patriarchs were located there ( Antioch, Alexandria and Jerusalem) - and especially the Patriarch of Alexandria was one of the "big players" along with the Pope and the Patriarch of Constantinople.

This part of the world had a major influence in the development of the church and it's theology - monastism was born in the deserts of Egypt and Syria, Areianism that for some time seemed capable of becoming "mainstream" Christianity, originated from Alexandria etc.

And of course they held a huge part of the global christian population since the East was much more populated than the West.

The Arab conquests following the battle of the Yarmouk virtually guaranteed that the majority  of the population of these countries would gradually but inevidably become muslim, that the Eastern Patriarchs would no longer be major players in church politics,  that no more works in theology would be created here ( John the Damascene being a rare exception) ,  and that Christianity would become a "European" religion instead of one encompasing all the old Roman world (with north Africa and the Middle East)

I can't think of any other single battle that had such cataclysmic results for Christianity in reality instead of, just hypothetically (if they had won, if they had lost , if this,if that.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>