Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Invading Russia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Invading Russia
    Posted: 27-Dec-2004 at 15:43

Jesus Kristus this site is slow. I tried to post three times. Took a half hour to post a two-line message

Originally posted by Jalisco Lancer

Hi Styrbion:

The fact that a goverment is corrupt, it is not an excuse for not fighting for the national soverignity. I would rather prefer to ally with a political enemy than an foreign invader. 

Regards

You are surely right, but I don't think it is applicable here. The drafted serfs weren't fighting for the survival of a nation state, they were fighting for their masters. I disagree with the notion that this would give them some superior morale boost. At least the first invasion (which was a counteroffensive and not an attempted conquest anyway...) discussion took place centuries before the idea of nationalism.

Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2004 at 23:09
I see your point, Styrbion
Regards, Buddie

PS: And yes, the server is very slow.

Regards

Edited by Jalisco Lancer
J.M.Finegold View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 11:26
Additionally, the Werhmacht invasion of the Soviet Union was on the brink of victory, and the campaign could have been concluded that way (although only time could tell if the Germans could stay their in sufficient numbers to hold it against Partisans - although they would have likely exterminated most of the population anyways).

--------------
By August 1941 the Heeresgruppen Center, under the command of Fedor von Bock, had finished the destruction of most of the Soviet Red Army between the border and Moscow in the great pockets of destruction, namely Smolensk.  Here is where most historians put the turning point of the war on the Ostfront.  Instead of launching Operation Typhoon in August Hitler instead decided to send Guderian's panzerkorp south to finish off the destruction of the Kiev pocket and Hoth's panzerkorp north to enable a quick victory in Leningrad.  Had Hiter instead stuck with the original plan and continued the advance on Moscow the opposition faced to the capital would have been relatively little, and the Germans would have brushed it aside, and force with it as partisan warfare.

Consequently, with Moscow captured by, let's say, late August, or early September, Leningrad would have lost its logistical supply route, save Mermansk, which was under attack by German forces in Norway and Finland anyways.  Meaning, that during the winter of 1941 it was most likely that Leningrad would have starved to death and fallen.  Kiev would have held out for longer, but as with Leningrad, without a center nervous system directing supplies, and with more supply lines cut off it inevitable that Kiev fell.

So, most of the Red Army would have bottled up either in the south and the Caucasus, or past the Urals.  Had they bottled up near the Caucausus, and around Stalingrad, the German's full might would have quickly crushed them, no buts about it.  They wouldn't have met the same resistance they met in Operation Fall Bleu in 1942 because the Red Army, simply put, had no second echelon divisions to reinforce the city with; not only that, but the Germans would have three times the forces to complete the task.

Now comes the iffy part: the Urals.  Most likely Hiter would have stuck by his plan to create that line from Arskangel to the Caucasus, and then used parts of the Luftwaffe - that which wasn't moved back west - to bomb Ural factories which small German airborne or commando teams probed the Urals to make sure the Russians never became a strong force.  Additionally, at this stage, it was highly likely that the Japanese enter the war, since the Soviet Union would have lacked the power to wage a war as effectively against Japan as they did at Khalkin Gol in 1939 (one of the major reasons Japan never entered the war with the Soviet Union).
mongke View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote mongke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 14:00
Even if  the Werhmacht had captured kiev, Moscow and Leningrad it would still be a long drawnout war. It was pure fantasy on Hitler's part that they could finish off Russia in 1941. However the fall of these population centers would have evened the huge disparity in population (hence manpower for soldiers and labor) so that the Werhmacht would have been able to afford a war of attrition more than they historically did.  
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 14:53
Originally posted by mongke

Even if  the Werhmacht had captured kiev, Moscow and Leningrad it would still be a long drawnout war. It was pure fantasy on Hitler's part that they could finish off Russia in 1941. However the fall of these population centers would have evened the huge disparity in population (hence manpower for soldiers and labor) so that the Werhmacht would have been able to afford a war of attrition more than they historically did.  

The only reason Kiev fell in September 1941 was because Guderian was diverted to take the city.  However, as I specified in my post above, their were no Red Army units capable of defeating the Werhmact between Smolensk and Moscow until December 1941.  Thereby, the Wehrmacht would have been able to finish off Moscow by early September, way before the winter set in.

STAVKA was only able to bring in reserves from Siberia to Moscow during the late September and early October periods.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 17:22

The Russian Winter has defeated more armies than the Russians!

TheOrcRemix View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote TheOrcRemix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 19:22
True peace is not the absence of tension, but the presence of justice.
Sir Francis Drake is the REAL Pirate of the Caribbean
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 21:11
Originally posted by Kicker

The Russian Winter has defeated more armies than the Russians!

That's why my post implies that the take over of Moscow would have happened in August and September, completing avoiding the fighting in the winter... plus, it wasn't the Russian winter that gobbled up Germany - keep it real guys, the Germans lost only 100,000 men in 1941-1942 winter (Albert Seaton, The Battle for Moscow).
mongke View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote mongke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2004 at 07:34
Originally posted by DuxPimpJuice

Originally posted by mongke

The only reason Kiev fell in September 1941 was because Guderian was diverted to take the city.  However, as I specified in my post above, their were no Red Army units capable of defeating the Werhmact between Smolensk and Moscow until December 1941.  Thereby, the Wehrmacht would have been able to finish off Moscow by early September, way before the winter set in.

STAVKA was only able to bring in reserves from Siberia to Moscow during the late September and early October periods.

If they had taken Moscow it  would have left with a  dangerously exposed front with a bulge in the south. Whether they had taken Moscow or not it would still be a drawn out war of attrition. I don't think the Russians would have given up because Moscow fell.  However if I had been Hitler I would have gone to secure the major population centers first before doing anything else. As I recall they even had a chance to take Leningrad within the first 2 or 3 months of the war, but the Panzers were held back by the OKW.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2004 at 09:41

Originally posted by Styrbiorn

You are talking about Muscovy during the Times of Trouble,  while dark_one is talking about the unified nation of Russia, which is quite another thing. During the Times of Trouble everybody were picking on the Russians who were busy fighting each other; the Swedes for example captured Novgorod and marched into Moscow and held it for a time, and ended up taking all Russian land around the Gulf of Finland.

So far i know Swedes didnt take Moscow but Poles did. Today Russians have their independence day in the aniversary of kicking out Poles from Moscow.

As for land around Gulf of Finnland it wasnt really hard, Novogrod is a more impressive target. But anyway Poles took Smolensk which was even more impressive target than Novogrod. Not saying about Moscow which had polish garrison for about 2 years. I also forgot to add that polish forces captured and imprisoned new tsar Vasil Shuyski who lived in Poland till end of his days. After him polish crown prince Wladislaw IV was proclaimed new Tsar of Russia. He later sold Romanov's the title for a lot of monay. So i wouldnt even compare childish maneuvres of the swedish army in the north with the campaigns of Poles.

Swedes were trying to grab some land while Poles tried to get all Russia including the crown of Tsars. Altough it must be said that Poland-Lithuania didnt use great army in Russia, just few thousannds of the regular soldier. In fact there was more landhungry nobles, adventurers and cossacks than soldiers of the Commonwealth army.

Anyway, Wladislaw IV had nice collection of titles from lands which he really had and from such which he wanted to have:

Vladislaus Quartus Dei gratia rex Poloniae, magnus dux Lithuaniae, Russiae, Prussiae, Masoviae, Samogitiae, Livoniaeque, necnon Suecorum, Gothorum Vandalorumque haereditarius rex, electus magnus dux Moschoviae

Vladislaus IV by God's grace king of Poland, grand duke of  Lithuania, Ruthenia, Prussia, Masovia, Samogitia, Livonia, and also hereditary king of the Swedes, Goths and Vandals, elected tsar of Russia

Edited by Mosquito
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
dark_one View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote dark_one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2004 at 11:50

If they had taken Moscow it  would have left with a  dangerously exposed front with a bulge in the south. Whether they had taken Moscow or not it would still be a drawn out war of attrition. I don't think the Russians would have given up because Moscow fell.  However if I had been Hitler I would have gone to secure the major population centers first before doing anything else. As I recall they even had a chance to take Leningrad within the first 2 or 3 months of the war, but the Panzers were held back by the OKW.

Stalin was ready to evacuate, with a train waiting for him, and Moscow was ready to again be burnt to the ground so as not to let the Germans have it. Also don't hink that the partisans would giv eup easily afterwards. ot to mention that the Trans Siberian railway would becompletely sabotaged using one of those railrad cars with a massive hook on the end. Also keep in mind that  Roosevelt was not a stupid man, he did everything he could to get Japan to attack USA so USA could enter the war. he would've doubled his efforts there, not to mention that by that time Stalin would have come to his sences and reinstated the Generals, as he did in Stalingrad. We would have won but slower, with mroe casualties, and perhaps wtih Americans plundering Berlin.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2004 at 12:23

edit:answering Mosquito.

I think you missed my point. Early 17th century Muscovy/Russia is quite another thing than the unified Euro-Asian empire under Peter or Alex.

"Childish manouvers", hein? To be frank, I find the very statement is childish in itself, and the notion that the Baltic lands "were not really hard" is equally bad. You surely realize how important access to the Baltic was for the Russians (one of the main reasons of the Great Northern War for example), and how desperate after peace they had to be to secede it all.

Russia was after Fjodor's death without a heir to the throne, in a state of anarchy and civil war with several different factions, with the Swedes and Poles trying to get a as to them friendly tsar as possible on the throne. The Swedish goals with the Russian affairs in the time was to grab land around the Baltic - in the strife to make it a Swedish lake - and Kola and to put a puppet tsar on the throne, denying the Poles that pleasure. I really don't see how this  goes against my point that the Russians were in deep trouble with everybody picking on them.

A short summary of the first campaign, 1608-1610. Sweden entered the wars in 1608 when the Poles supported the false Dmitri, and fought to get the elected Sjujski on the throne to prevent a too Poland-friendly Russia. It was agreed that the Swedes would receive Kexholm if Sjujski was put on the throne. The Swedes invaded, took Novgorod, whereupon the army marched directly to Moscow, defeated the besieging Polish forces and marched into the city themselves. The Poles now abandoned the false Dmitri and started supporting the mentioned Wladislav instead. After two months in Moscow, the Swedes and Sjusjki-supporting Russians started marching on Smolensk. However, at Klusina/Kluszyn the armies meet up with the Poles, where one of the most over-hyped battles in military history commences.

The 30,000 Russians refused to obey orders and ran away, while the mercenaries in the Swedish army looted the Swedish baggage and joined the Poles. The Swedish infantry wass tired of the war (this is not the armies after Gustav Adolf and later reformations...heh) and simply do nothing. The national cavalry is the only troops who obey, but their quite ferocious attack is immidiately pushed back by the Poles. The Swedes agree with the Poles not to support Sjujski, and marches away. Only 400 national Swedish and Finnish troops remain, the rest has switched sides. The Poles thereafter marched more or less unhindered into Moscow, and gained the upper hand in the war.

In the second phase (from the Swedish POV), 1610-1617, held different goals, namely to completely conquer Russia either by land grab or a puppet tsar, or at least take as much land as possible. Karl Filip, the brother of Gustav Adolf, is arranged to become the new tsar, and is about to leave for Russia, but this attempt is stopped by - of all things - his own mother who simply refuse to let him go, and being a strong women manages to thwart the whole government and the king himself. The Swedes then invaded yet again and took a number of forts and towns in the North-West, including Novgorod, and the last remnants of the supported of the False Dmitri are crushed. The Russians are now generally unhappy with Wladislav, who by late summer 1612 is basicly out of the game and the Poles pushed out of Moscow. The following year Michail Romanov is elected tsar and the Russians start focusing on the Swedes.

In 1614 a 19-year-old Gustav Adolf arrived and despite severly outnumbered and lacking supplies and just about everything else managed to get a favourable position in the peace after two years of war. The important Baltic coast as well as Karelia and other areas were captured, and Sweden recognized Romanov as the true tsar. Meanwhile the Poles had managed to get a very favourable truce.

To sum up, the Times of Trouble is a quite an apt name of the anarchial situation Russia was in in the early 17th century, allowing both Sweden and Poland to bully the divided Russians. My whole point is that this situation is very different from those that Karl XII, Napoleon and Hitler faced. Russia was in deep trouble in the 1600s, and probably the only thing that prevented a division of most of its lands between Poland and Sweden was the Polish claim on the Swedish throne and the general distrust and state of war between those two nations, that hindered them from a beneficial cooperation.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2004 at 15:31

Originally posted by Slickmeister

I suggest that you not try to invade Mother Russia.

This I agree with, Russia is just so massive for total defeat. A country would have to allocate all resources for total conquest and this would not even be enough for victory I would say.

dark_one View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote dark_one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2004 at 15:55
 Yeah. Also how do you get itnernet access in Afghanistan?
Frink Aradis Cognac it's awesome.
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2004 at 19:32

The 'bulge in the south' was already taken care of.  The grunt of the Soviet Army in the south was encircled around Kiev, and STAVKA had little in the place of reserves in front of the Cacausus.  In fact, before December 1941 STAVKA had no reserves what so ever that could of made it there in time.

Of course the Russians wouldn't have given up.  The idea would be to continue bombing the hell out of the Urals to make sure the Russians to chug out those aircraft and tanks and fighting a defensive war based on the captured cities.

Also, around Leningrad Panzers couldn't do much.  Armored warfare in the north was extremely limited due to the terrain factors.  For more on this check Glantz' The Battle for Leningrad book (2004, Kansas University Press).
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2004 at 21:33
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

The 30,000 Russians refused to obey orders and ran away.

In the second phase (from the Swedish POV), 1610-1617, held different goals, namely to completely conquer Russia either by land grab or a puppet tsar, or at least take as much land as possible. Karl Filip, the brother of Gustav Adolf, is arranged to become the new tsar, and is about to leave for Russia, but this attempt is stopped by - of all things - his own mother who simply refuse to let him go, and being a strong women manages to thwart the whole government and the king himself. The Swedes then invaded yet again and took a number of forts and towns in the North-West, including Novgorod, and the last remnants of the supported of the False Dmitri are crushed. The Russians are now generally unhappy with Wladislav, who by late summer 1612 is basicly out of the game and the Poles pushed out of Moscow. The following year Michail Romanov is elected tsar and the Russians start focusing on the Swedes.

In 1614 a 19-year-old Gustav Adolf arrived and despite severly outnumbered and lacking supplies and just about everything else managed to get a favourable position in the peace after two years of war. The important Baltic coast as well as Karelia and other areas were captured, and Sweden recognized Romanov as the true tsar. Meanwhile the Poles had managed to get a very favourable truce.

first: when i said "childish maneuvres" i meant that Sweden only tried to get some land while Poland tried to get evertything when saw enemy weakened.
Thank you for the second part of your post because i really didnt know that later Sweden was going to take everything and to make Karl Filip new Tsar. I would like to know more details, because so far i know your Karl Filip wasnt crowned for tsar of Russia.

As for the battle of Kluszyn/Klushino (or any other name for that battle) your post suggest that Russians didnt fight but run away. According to my sources it is not truth and Russians did fight. Polish army of about 7000 soldiers of whom 6800 were winged hussars crushed resistance of 30000 Russians and 5000 Swedish/German and scottish mercenaries who didnt want to fight (my sources says Russians wanted to fight but their allies not).

As for the falses Dymitri and his polish supporters it must be said that it was first stage of war. In fact it is hard to call it war because Poland wasnt officially engaged. It was rather private expedition of polish nobleman Jerzy Mniszech and his private army of land hungry polish nobles and cossacks. As you know Poland was always a bit anarchic and Jerzy Mniszech didnt ask anyone for opinion but just gathered private army and invaded Russia on his own risk and responsibility. You can name them in many ways but not a regular army. They placed on the Russian throne first false Dymitri who was killed by Russians. After that they gave them another false Dymitri (who was saved from assasins by miracle) and after Russians killed the second they recived the third one (also saved from assasins by miracle, supossed to be the same one).

After expedition of Mniszech was so succesfull (he even made his own daughter wife of Tsar Dymitri and everytime when Russians were killing him she was recognising the newone as her husband) king of Poland - your swedish relative- Sigismundus Vasa decided to join the party. But polish Seym (parliament) refused to attack Russia and didnt vote any new taxes for war so king could use only limited number of troops (those 7000 from battle of Klushin) and unpaid irregulars (like mercenaries of colonel Lisovski who were living from what they plundered in Russia). Russians agreed to proclaim prince Wladislaw, son of the king for their tsar - if only he will change religion from catholicism to orthodox. But your Swede on our throne, or as grand chancellor Jan Zamoyski was naming him - "our dumb monkey imported from Sweden" was fanatic catholic and broke the agreement with the russian boyars.

Because parliament didnt agreed for war taxes king wanst able to continue the war, polish garrison in Moscow didnt get any support and after long siege of the Cremlin castle had to surrender. Prince Wladislaw who was already tsar of russia kept the title till 1630 when sold it to Romanovs. The only profit that Poland got from the war was Smolensk, which was fortiefied by Russians so well that they were not able to retake it.

All those events from the begining of the 17th century proved well that Russia can be easilly conquered if is doesnt have strong leadership.

Edited by Mosquito
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2005 at 16:34
Originally posted by dark_one

Well Russia's campaign to conquer poland (during our civil war) also failed due to lack of support, particularly by Stalin who remembered how fanatical the Poles were at trying to destroy Russia (using sabotage and assassination) and knew what lay int he Future, namely war with germany which would permit conquest of Poland.
Also noticed that in your first map you are creating the perfect scenario for your troops to be encircled and either forced to surrender over a long period of siege or be gone with the rest of Moscow after intense bombardment from both artillery and aircraft. Another thin you didn't mention anything about the size of your army, what countryyou're attackign as and international onvolvement.. 

Get your Soviet history right. Stalin was a minor thug during this war. Lenin was the Soviet leader of the time. Soviets discovered why Polish cavalry was considered the best in Europe for many centuries. This and briliant strategy of gen. Pilsudski.
Also,  you give abilities of predicting future to fairly mediocre leader.
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2005 at 20:54
Stalin's role in the Polish-Soviet war wasn't big but because he disobeyed orders he played a part in why the Russians suffered sucha defeat, he was in the Lwow region, and when he was needed to help up North where Pilsudski's counterattack took place in Radzymin, he instead went on for his own military glory, to matcht hat of Tukchachevsky or Budyony, or however that name was spelt; and decided to continue where he was, which eventualy he got no where near to the ranks of Tuckhachevsky or Budyonny. All he did was cause confusion to the soviet army. Polish Cavalry rules all...
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2005 at 23:03

Originally posted by Sarmata

Stalin's role in the Polish-Soviet war wasn't big but because he disobeyed orders he played a part in why the Russians suffered sucha defeat, he was in the Lwow region, and when he was needed to help up North where Pilsudski's counterattack took place in Radzymin, he instead went on for his own military glory, to matcht hat of Tukchachevsky or Budyony, or however that name was spelt; and decided to continue where he was, which eventualy he got no where near to the ranks of Tuckhachevsky or Budyonny. All he did was cause confusion to the soviet army. Polish Cavalry rules all...

Actually Budyonny and Stalin were together. They wanted Lvov and didnt obey Tukatchevski's orders what allowed Pilsudski to slaughter Red Army.

Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2005 at 01:38
my bad, not budyonny then but i know that the reasons talin didnt listen to orders was to gain glory for himself
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>