Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1066 Claimants

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1066 Claimants
    Posted: 11-Dec-2006 at 14:42
    In terms of how much an oath mattered to people in Medieval England and the rest of the Medieval world, it mattered a great deal. Look at the modes of proof that were used in Medieval England especially Compurgation - the use of oaths, and oath helpers to prosecute a lawsuit. In a country that holds oaths in such an esteem to use Compurgation as a mode of proof an oath definately held a great deal of power. As for is this enough to invade a country apparently to the Normans it was. In terms of what power did the pope hold over England. He held just as much power as anywhere else. The pope still has the power to excommunicate England as a Christian Nation. Ecclesiastical History is not really my strongest area I am just playing devil's advocate this repost was just an off the top of the head type of thing.
gremlinlord View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote gremlinlord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2006 at 15:13
Concerning the possible promise that Harold Godwinson made to help William become King of England if the opportunity came up--there is a story that Harold swore his oath to William on a large chest covered with a cloth. Once the captive had sworn, the Duke whipped off the cloth, opened the chest, and lo and behold, there was a holy relic inside, unbeknownst at the time of the oath-making to Harold.

There was a lot of superstition regarding oaths made over holy relics in the Middle Ages. It was essentially like making a blood oath in a fantasy novel--you break it and you die, or in this case you meet the dark side of God. I believe the Church had quite a bit of power over Europe as a whole in general, so I think that the palpal support William (or Billy, haha) had would have had an effect on the English people.

But by facing William in battle, Harold must not have thought much of the Pope; this boldness may have led to him breaking an oath to the Norman duke over a holy relic and risk facing the vengence of God for eternity, if indeed he made the oath at all.

And this too is all off the top of my head...I don't know a lot about the history of the Church either.

Edited by gremlinlord - 11-Dec-2006 at 15:17
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2006 at 16:05

....back again...!!

..lots of 'offing of heads' going on!!...good to see some serious thinking without the need to batter and ram an army of perceived 'facts' to and fro...

Originally posted by King John

In terms of how much an oath mattered to people in Medieval England and the rest of the Medieval world, it mattered a great deal. Look at the modes of proof that were used in Medieval England especially Compurgation - the use of oaths, and oath helpers to prosecute a lawsuit.

..i have never heard of 'compurgation' before, and if this is the case, i can see why (or if) Duke William might have put Harold under oath, especially if both parties knew the importance of such matters...there remains in my mind the question over Harold's complicity in the matter, would he have so readily offered up his support to William when his own interests in kingship were apparent? or perhaps he did, but knowing he would renege on the deal later on? Possibly, or if indeed Harold was tricked, as gremlinlord has noted, and a story I remember reading once

Concerning the possible promise that Harold Godwinson made to help William become King of England if the opportunity came up--there is a story that Harold swore his oath to William on a large chest covered with a cloth. Once the captive had sworn, the Duke whipped off the cloth, opened the chest, and lo and behold, there was a holy relic inside, unbeknownst at the time of the oath-making to Harold.

...in which case, then the oath probably had no binding quality in Anglo-Saxon eyes, viewing the Norman threat as an example of devious trickery, even more so as it utilised the very accoutrements of faith the Normans professed to hold dear..if this was the case, I think Harold had a reasonable cause in defence of his succession claim..

In terms of what power did the pope hold over England. He held just as much power as anywhere else. The pope still has the power to excommunicate England as a Christian Nation.

did not stop Henry VIII though!!!!but seriously, I think maybe the Popes intervention held more sway with the deeply religious and unquestionable level of faith held by the Normans than it did with the Anglo-SaxonsHarolds rigid defence of his kingly claim is some proof of this; if he had managed to defeat William and claim the English crown, and as gremlinlord also points out, then it does not look like he would have been too concerned over papal interferencebut then again, the topic does deal with two highly motivated, politically ambitious and steadfast individuals, whose personal morals and attributes could be called into question.is it possible the conquest was a more a matter of personal and national faith?

Janissary
Janissary

Quote gremlinlord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2006 at 16:37
Act of Oblivion,

I agree with all your points, especially your last one. I have long believed that the only reason William asked for the aid of the Pope was because of his strong religious beliefs. Neither of the two sides asked for aid from anyone besides the Normans' request for the Pope's permission; the only person who tried to get other nationalities involved was Harold's brother Tostig. But Tostig did not side with the English or the Normans, and died at Stanford Bridge with the Scandinavians. Both Harold and William were, I think, in a battle of wills and a battle of strength relating to, as you said, a matter of personal and national faith.

By the by, I looked up who the pope was in 1066 just for fun. It was Alexander II. Apparently he was a very pious man, and very well respected by his fellow cardinals, but some of the nobles in Rome decided that they wanted to regain their former power in the choosing of the new pope. They therefore appointed their own pope, Honorius II, without any other cardinals present. Alexander, however, had much backing from other clergymen, and eventually the old nobles were replaced by ones who were in favor of the cardinal. So he was appointed pope. And apparently he not only backed William's invasion of England, but also Roger Guiscard, a fellow Norman who conquered Sicily around the same time. I just thought that was intriguing.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2006 at 17:19
By the by, I looked up who the pope was in 1066 just for fun. It was Alexander II. Apparently he was a very pious man, and very well respected by his fellow cardinals, but some of the nobles in Rome decided that they wanted to regain their former power in the choosing of the new pope. They therefore appointed their own pope, Honorius II, without any other cardinals present. Alexander, however, had much backing from other clergymen, and eventually the old nobles were replaced by ones who were in favor of the cardinal. So he was appointed pope. And apparently he not only backed William's invasion of England, but also Roger Guiscard, a fellow Norman who conquered Sicily around the same time. I just thought that was intriguing.

...thats interesting information Gremlinlord, certainly adds an aspect to the story...i really appreciate the answers i have received from everyone in the thread, as i stated earlier, my knowledge is limited but at the very least, now i have learnt some new ideas and opinions about the Norman conquest and your thread has prompted me to go and dig out a couple of books about the period, time for me to read up i think!!!...i will keep an eye on the thread to see what others have to say...
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2006 at 03:44
That an oath was or was not considered serious is not the issue. It isn't even a particularly Christian thing: breaking oaths was supposed to bring down the wrath of the gods among the pagan Anglo-Saxons (and pretty well everyone else).

The issue - as Act Of Oblivian pointed out - is whether Edward and Harold had the power to make the promises or swear the oaths they are supposed to have done.

The modern doctrine of contract under the English Common Law also goes back to very early times (and doesn't require the swearing of an oath: oaths are only required to validate non-contractual promises.

But I cannot contract to give someone something it is not mine to give. I cannot promise to do it either, no matter how many oaths I swear.

So Edward could not validly promise the throne to William, any more than Henry II could validly promise the throne to his son John, and prevent Richard succeeding. And the Witan's award of the throne to Harold would have invalidated any sworn relationship (if one existed) of Harold to William.

In modern phraseology - which only encapsulates the legal tradition - Harold's contract or sworn promise would have been 'against the public interest' and therefore invalid.

That's the case under English law. Under Norman law things might well be different. But Norman law only came into play in England - if it ever validly did - after the Conquest.

Edited by gcle2003 - 12-Dec-2006 at 03:48
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2006 at 21:53
The Witan (King's counsel of "wise-men") had the power to both elect and depose the King - although the latter power was rarely used.

Maskell, Monumenta Ritualia Ecclesiae Anglicanae, III.
"In its origin the kingship of the English was distinctly elective, but with a restriction of choice in all ordinary cases to the members of one royal house."

Stevens, Sources of the Constitution, Chapter Five - The English Executive ....
" .... [the] Saxon monarchy was far from being absolute.  Its authority was strictly limited by that of the Witenagemot, which participated in every act of government. Many of its prerogatives were deduced from the fact expressed by its very title, that the king was the representative of his people. His election rested with the Witan, which might depose him. Coronation, as essential as election, partook of the nature of a ratification or second election, and was, in effect, a compact between king and people, as well as a consecration to the kingly functions by the Church."

You may also be interested in this passage from "The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle" for the year 1066:
"In this year was consecrated the minster at Westminster, on Childer-mass-day.  And King Edward died on the eve of Twelfth-day; and he was buried on Twelfth-day within the newly consecrated church at Westminster.  And Harold the earl succeeded to the kingdom of England, even as the king had granted it to him, and men also had chosen him thereto; and he was crowned as king on Twelfth-day."

Edited by Melisende - 12-Dec-2006 at 22:16
"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."
The_Jackal_God View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote The_Jackal_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2006 at 14:24
Reading about Alfred the Great is so bittersweet knowing the Anglo-Saxons lose the thrown so shortly after.

Emotionally, I am definitely for Harold. What he and history may have been, who knows. English would prolly still be a messed up language, just maybe looking more like Dutch. Harold was a capable general, in the least; that he lost to the Normans primarily because of the arrow wound, not to mention defeating the Norwegian invasion, and rushing back and forth across his country, with weary troops, and ... he was formidable. Political unification may have come sooner.

As for contact with the continent, that a good point, but i'm not swayed that England would've fallen behind. There was always the Church as another bridge, and Alfred did much to boost the clerical level of England (not meaning clergy, but intelligent, literate people who could run the administration of government).

but hey, without the Conquest, would there be a Robin Hood?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2006 at 14:39
Originally posted by Melisende

Maskell, Monumenta Ritualia Ecclesiae Anglicanae, III.

"In its origin the kingship of the English was distinctly elective, but with a restriction of choice in all ordinary cases to the members of one royal house."

Stevens, Sources of the Constitution, Chapter Five - The English Executive ....

" .... [the] Saxon monarchy was far from being absolute. Its authority was strictly limited by that of the Witenagemot, which participated in every act of government. Many of its prerogatives were deduced from the fact expressed by its very title, that the king was the representative of his people. His election rested with the Witan, which might depose him. Coronation, as essential as election, partook of the nature of a ratification or second election, and was, in effect, a compact between king and people, as well as a consecration to the kingly functions by the Church."

You may also be interested in this passage from "The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle" for the year 1066:

"In this year was consecrated the minster at Westminster, on Childer-mass-day. And King Edward died on the eve of Twelfth-day; and he was buried on Twelfth-day within the newly consecrated church at Westminster. And Harold the earl succeeded to the kingdom of England, even as the king had granted it to him, and men also had chosen him thereto; and he was crowned as king on Twelfth-day."

..the above words seem to add to the general agreement here that Harold Godwine did have the 'moral', and more importantly, 'legal' right to the throne, even if the decision cannot be proved as explicit, which brings me back to an earlier thought that Duke William's claim might have been 'legally and morally' wrong...i am now even more convinced that this was the case...i think it is no simple coincidence that the majority of literature on the subject still refers to a 'conquest' or 'invasion' (which implies illegality) rather than the Norman 'succession'..?

Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2006 at 18:15
...i think it is no simple coincidence that the majority of literature on the subject still refers to a 'conquest' or 'invasion' (which implies illegality) rather than the Norman 'succession'..?

I agree with your thoughts there Act_of_Oblivion. 

And a rather interesting passage in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle for the same 1066AD entry reads:

"...Earl William returned to Hastings, and waited there to know whether the people would submit to him.  But when he found that they would not come to him, he went up with all his force that was left and that came since to him from over sea, and ravaged all the country that he overran .."

Interesting to note that submission to a Duke who claimed to have "morally and legally" succeeded was not so willingly forthcoming ....
"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2006 at 15:35
As a bastard William's claim over Normandy alone could be disputed (and he did face a rebellion, which was won by King Henry I ironicaly in his favour) so let alone his claim over England.
Vae victis!
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2006 at 16:30
In Normandy there was a history of the Duke nominating his successor whether bastard or not. This point is elucidated in Eleanor Searle's book "Predatory Kinship" see pages 95-6. On these pages Dr. Searle specifies how ducal succession worked. She say that it was a three-fold process, the first was the acceptance of the son. The second phase was nomination of the heir (not necessarily the oldest or legitimate. The third phase was the acceptance of the heir by all local nobles. This heir who was raised in secret might not have been a legitimate son. The son could have been the child of a powerful woman sired by the duke especially in the tenth and eleventh-centuries. Primogeniture was not in practice during the tenth century in Normandy. It developed with the prestige of ducal seat.

As per rebellions early in the reign of William this is mainly because of his minority and the aspirations of the local lords not his illegitimate birth. The nobles of Normandy were used to dukes who might not be legitimate.
Janissary
Janissary

Quote gremlinlord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2006 at 00:46
Originally posted by The_Jackal_God

but hey, without the Conquest, would there be a Robin Hood?

Hehe, good point ^^

I have read a bit as well about the rather large percentage of illegitimate Norman dukes, but in any case, after William's rough childhood, he certainly came into his own and held a lot of respect among his people. He witnessed quite a few of his close advisors and supporters being murdered by those nobles who were trying to take possesion of the dukedom after William's father died, so he must have been forced to become strong-willed, whether he liked it or not.
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2006 at 15:07

In Normandy there was a history of the Duke nominating his successor whether bastard or not. This point is elucidated in Eleanor Searle's book "Predatory Kinship" see pages 95-6. On these pages Dr. Searle specifies how ducal succession worked. She say that it was a three-fold process, the first was the acceptance of the son. The second phase was nomination of the heir (not necessarily the oldest or legitimate. The third phase was the acceptance of the heir by all local nobles. This heir who was raised in secret might not have been a legitimate son. The son could have been the child of a powerful woman sired by the duke especially in the tenth and eleventh-centuries. Primogeniture was not in practice during the tenth century in Normandy. It developed with the prestige of ducal seat.

As per rebellions early in the reign of William this is mainly because of his minority and the aspirations of the local lords not his illegitimate birth. The nobles of Normandy were used to dukes who might not be legitimate.

Hardly a Norman tradition though, most of the French aristocracy worked that way, including the Capetians. The only Capetian king that was crowned after his father's death was Philip I.
Vae victis!
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2006 at 16:16
I uderstand this however the topic at hand is not France but rather the claimants to the ENGLISH throne. Ergo the discussion and citation of Dr. Searle's work was to provide a an alternative to primogeniture in the English context. However the nobility of France started the trend toward primogeniture before it became en vogue in Normandy and England
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 05:01

I uderstand this however the topic at hand is not France but rather the claimants to the ENGLISH throne.

A question to which French and Norman law are totally irrelevant. As is any papal consideration.

Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 13:47
Originally posted by gcle2003

A question to which French and Norman law are totally irrelevant. As is any papal consideration.

Which discards William's claim as legitimate.
Vae victis!
Denis View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Denis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2007 at 11:51
I believe Edward the Confessor promised the throne to William on several occassions - both in his youth and later life. Also, is it true that when Harold was shipwrecked in Normandy that a cousin of William's captured him and demanded a ransom from William for his release? And also, is it true that Harold was forced to swear on the bones of dead saints to acknowledge William as King and that a daughter of Williams was bethrothed with Harold?

Sorry for the million and one questions but these are a few issues which are historically suspect from the time.
"Death belongs to God alone. By what right do men touch that unknown thing"

Victor Hugo
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2007 at 05:08

Denis,

Yes Harold was shipwrecked - and his release was secured by William. Yes, it was said that Harold did swear some sort of oath (knowingly or not) on the bones of a saint or holy relic.  However, one might suggest that any oath Harold gave was given under duress (and given soley to secure his freedom back to England) and as such would not have been considered as any kind of binding oath - especially by Harold.

Perhaps someone could help me here for I cannot find a reference to this "oath-giving" in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.  I know it is "documented" in the Bayeux Tapestry - however the Chronicle only mentions Harold's dealings with the Welsh and his brother Tostig's rebellion for the years 1162 - 1165.
Denis View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Denis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 21:23
Melisende,

Thanks for getting back to me and sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I'm afraid I read about the oath giving in a novel, called 'The Bastard King'. I forget the name of the author. Sorry I can't give you any more help :(
"Death belongs to God alone. By what right do men touch that unknown thing"

Victor Hugo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12