Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1066 Claimants

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
gremlinlord View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gremlinlord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1066 Claimants
    Posted: 06-Dec-2006 at 21:20

It seems like there aren't really any topics on this subject, yet it's one of my favorite discussions...between William the Conqueror and Harold Godwinson, who do people think was actually the one deemed by Edward the Confessor to be his heir? Also tacking on the other claimants, Harald Hardrada and Edgar the Aetheling, does anyone think they had sufficient grounds to apply for the throne?

Edited by gremlinlord - 06-Dec-2006 at 21:21
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2006 at 15:35

...hello gremlinlord...

..it certainly is an interesting topic and of great historical importance to my country, especially as the results of the Norman conquest had such a profound effect....personally, it is of interest as i live near to Hastings and have visited the battle site on many occasions, the city where i live was probably the place where the Bayeaux Tapestry was made.... so yes, important things....As someone from the United States, i would be interested in reading your own thoughts on the matter of kingly succession...
..all the best...
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2006 at 02:39
Peter Poyntz Wright in his book "Hastings" puts forward the theory that Harold Godwinsson would have been the natural choice of both Edward the Confessor and the Saxon Witan (who actually chose the successor to the throne).

However, Wright also points out that Harold quite possibly did offer some kind of oath (under duress) to William when Harold was a "guest" (prisoner) of William in Normandy in order to obtain his own release.

William was obviously as astute politician and would surely have accepted Harold's "oath" for what it was - something that Harold would most certainly have renegged on as soon as he reached England's shores.

I personally don't think that William would have been Edward's choice - having previously removed all Normans from spheres of political influence in England and returning to the Saxon political structure - and William would definitely not have been the choice of the Saxon Witan.

My vote goes to Harold.

"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."
Janissary
Janissary

Quote gremlinlord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2006 at 15:02
Well, I would place my vote with Edgar the Aethling, actually...I remember reading in more than one place that Edward spent a good portion of his childhood in Normandy, and he may have been close friends with young William. However he wasn't really aware that he would become king until 1041 because of the Danes...so I would discount a childhood promise to William. I did a paper on this topic a couple years ago, and found that Edward may have strongly disliked the Godwins, who held quite a bit of influence over the Witan as well as owning a lot of land, having power over the military, and so forth...so the Witan would have chosen Harold. I believe Edward was married to Harold's sister as well. But he wasn't fond of them, and I've read some speculation that the reason why he didn't have children was because he did not want to give the Godwins power over the throne...although that is not a definate fact, he probably wouldn't have wanted to give them more power if only because he was afraid of the amount they had already. And so I think that, with no where else to turn, he chose Edgar, which wasn't such a good choice anyways because he was very young and could have been easily overthrown by anyone else who came in for the throne.

Anyways...those are my thoughts. You live near Hastings, Act of Oblivion? And where the Bayeaux Tapestry may have been made...That's impressive. If I ever get to England I'm making a beeline for wherever you are!
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2006 at 17:05
While all these are interesting thoughts on the issue I would have to disagree with all. I would say that William had the strongest claim (of these choices) to the throne as Edward's successor. William and Edward were known to have been raised in close proximity to each other. They were indeed cousins through Emma (Edward's mother). This however, does not mean that there was any sort of promise between the two. In regards to Edward getting rid off all Normans in his realm certain pressures can be seen as neccessatating this move. Edward was an astute politician and would not consider a young successor viable however good his claim. Harold because of his membership in the Godwin family would not have been an option to Edward although to the Witan definately. There are some very good books on the subject of the Norman Conquest. If you are interested in reading any I would suggest Frank Barlow's William I and the Norman Conquest and (different book) Edward the Confessor, I would also suggest D.C. Douglas' biography of William the Conqueror (titled the same). There are a number of others which I could and would provide upon request. It is wonderful to have a thread on here about Medieval England (since this is what I am going to Grad School for). I look forward to following this thread.
Janissary
Janissary

Quote gremlinlord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2006 at 18:12
I agree that William would have had the strongest claim, but I don't think Edward would have chosen him to be his heir. There were a lot of anti-Norman strains going around England at the time, and it wouldn't be a very good political move to appoint a Norman duke as the next king. Harold is out of the picture, and Harald didn't show his face until after the king's death (not that he would have been considered for an instant). Although young kings are rarely successful, I believe Edward had no other option besides Edgar.

Medieval England fascinates me...what a neat thing to go to graduate school for. I'll keep an eye out for those books, thanks for suggesting them.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2006 at 18:15
While most of what you said is true I personally would take the stance that Edward himself was more of a Norman king than an Anglo-Saxon King. I would assert this because of the vast amount of time that he spent there in exile and the fact that his mother was Norman. Regardless of any anti-Norman sentiment I don't that would have effected the dying descision of Edward. Harold would not have been a consideration simply on account of his proximity to Godwin who was the man behind Edward's brother's murder. The Godwins were also a family that supported the Danish/Norwiegan rule of England and actually fought for the Norse Kings of England, ergo they were part of his father's deposing and Edward's exile (yet another reason why he is less likely to be Edward's choice as his hier). This leaves only two, William and Edgar - as I noted in a previous post Edgar's age would have ruled him out leaving only one choice, William. This does not mean that he definately was Edward's choice but rather that in my humble opinion he was the most likely to be chosen.
Janissary
Janissary

Quote gremlinlord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2006 at 18:45
Hmm, I see where you're coming from...good point. So basically you're saying that on his deathbed Edward would not have cared for a politically correct stance but would have gone for the better choice? I could agree with that. I suppose now it just depends on Edward's mental condition when he was on his death bed. But congratulations, King John, you have officially changed my mildly long-standing opinion on the matter. Your explaination makes more sense than mine, now that I step back and look at it.
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2006 at 21:08
I made this really neat family tree of Hastings...gave a copy to my friend who hates the Normans, and told him that William the Conqueror had the best claim. Tongue
Opium is the religion of the masses.

From each according to his need, to each according to his ability.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 00:09
Gremlinlord I have a question for you. This is a little revisionist history but I am actually interested to see what your opinion is on the matter. Had William lost at Normandy what do you think the effects on history would have been?
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 06:31
King John is probably right about Edward.

Personally I don't think it matters. The crown of England was not the king's to bestow.

The Witan would have chosen Harold. He would therefore have been the legitimate successor, whatever Edward wanted.

cf the Act Declaring the Rights and Liberties of the Subject and Settling the Succession of the Crown of 1688/9 commonly known as the Bill of Rights.

...the said Lords Spiritual and Temporal and Commons, pursuant to their respective letters and elections, being now assembled in a full and free representative of this nation, taking into their most serious consideration the best means for attaining the ends aforesaid, do in the first place (as their ancestors in like case have usually done) for the vindicating and asserting their ancient rights and liberties declare...
Having therefore an entire confidence that his said Highness the prince of Orange will perfect the deliverance so far advanced by him, and will still preserve them from the violation of their rights which they have here asserted, and from all other attempts upon their religion, rights and liberties, the said Lords Spiritual and Temporal and Commons assembled at Westminster do resolve that William and Mary, prince and princess of Orange, be and be declared king and queen of England, France and Ireland and the dominions thereunto belonging, to hold the crown and royal dignity of the said kingdoms and dominions to them, the said prince and princess, during their lives and the life of the survivor to them, and that the sole and full exercise of the regal power be only in and executed by the said prince of Orange in the names of the said prince and princess during their joint lives, and after their deceases the said crown and royal dignity of the same kingdoms and dominions to be to the heirs of the body of the said princess, and for default of such issue to the Princess Anne of Denmark and the heirs of her body, and for default of such issue to the heirs of the body of the said prince of Orange.

The right of the representatives of the kingdom to settle the succession was not new in 1688/9. It had eternally been the case (and still is).

Janissary
Janissary

Quote gremlinlord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 06:56
King John--you mean Hastings? Well...if we're going on the fact that Harold won the battle before he got shot in the eye with an arrow, it would seem that England would have remained closed to the outside world for quite a while longer, which I would think would not be the greatest situation. England might have gotten a reality check like the Japanese, but that would have taken a century or two. All in all, they would have fallen behind on the modernization that was constantly occuring on mainland Europe simply because they would not have been required to face it as they were not in direct contact with the continent. The Norman Conquest also had quite a large impact on the English language, being a catalyst for the end of Old English, so I suppose there would be a significant number of words and phrases that we wouldn't be using today. It would have taken something equally as dramatic as the invasion to push the the Anglo-Saxon language to the next level if William had not won, which wouldn't have happened as the Norman conquest was pretty much the final time England/Great Britain has been invaded. The Domesday Book is also worth mentioning, I think; the census was an important developement on the way to make a stronger government.

An interesting question, King John...what would you envision? 

Edited by gremlinlord - 10-Dec-2006 at 07:02
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 11:49
Yes I did mean Hastings. I would agree with your assessment. The impact on English Language I think would have been profound and English would be more like German than it is today. In terms of power I don't think England would have had the historical impact that it did have.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 13:55
..hello again gremlinlord

You live near Hastings, Act of Oblivion? And where the Bayeaux Tapestry may have been made...That's impressive. If I ever get to England I'm making a beeline for wherever you are!

..yes, I am fortunate to live in Canterbury, a city and area of England with a rich historical background.just across the road from where I live are the ruins of St Augustines Abbey, founded in AD 597 and originally a burial place for the Anglo-Saxon kings of Kent. The city also boasts one of the earliest Norman keeps although the structure is in some ruin with only the bottom half still available to see. Only a few miles away is the more impressive keep at Rochester, very much intact and wearing the scars of battle.Canterburys main park and garden is named Dane John gardens and in this garden stands the original earth mound where the first Norman wooden castle keep was built. The name Dane John possibly derives from the anglicised version of the French word donjon meaning a castle keep.plenty to see and do and if you visited these shores, I would be glad to accompany you on an excursion!!

..but back to your original post. I have a interest in the period and events but I must admit I do not have an in-depth knowledge and my information is sketchy..but from what I can gather and in my opinion, I think Harold Godwine would have been the strongest choice for the throne, principally because of what others have stated here; the choice of succession would probably have been made by the witenagemot, the collection of aristocratic and influential figures who not only assisted the king in decision-making, but also had a key role in determining the succession of kingsalthough this assembly perhaps had a legal right to decide, it is more likely that Edwards immediate court and household maintained a great deal of influence and it was this influence that led to the confusion over what was actually the Confessors personal choice

..perhaps the most detailed primary sources are the chronicles of William of Jumiges and William of Poitiers, who both agree that the Confessor promised the succession to Duke William, but the obvious criticism of this is that both writers are Norman chroniclers with an evident prejudice.R.Allen Brown in his book The Normans and the Norman Conquest offers a convincing portrayal of events and sources that back up his belief that an oath from Harold to Duke William did take place, although the book was written in 1969 and such assertions have been revised since. In Conquest and Colonisation-The Normans in Britain, 1066-1100 (2001), Brian Golding provides a brief but adequate analysis of the succession, and asks pertinent questions regarding the issues surrounding who had rightful claim to the throne. However, my personal opinion is that even if the throne was promised to Duke William, to answer the original question, I will stick with Harold Godwine as having the strongest claim

.as a minor footnote to this discussion, I would like to add a story which may or may not be a rumour or myth, and may have been told before on these forums

.in England we have a common phrase blimey, which is often used as an exclamation to show surprise/shock/bewilderment alongside a number of other uses. The phrase is a shortened version of gawd blimey which in turn is a corruption of god blimey. However, the interesting bit (hopefully!!) of the tale is that blimey is a shortened slang word for blind me, which then makes the spoken phrase god blind me. This is taken as a swearing or pledge that if one breaks a promise or oath, then let God strike and take out ones eyes. This loosely ties in with the image of Harold Godwin on the Bayeaux Tapestry clutching his face with an eye pierced by an arrow, perhaps from the Norman belief that Harold reneged on an oath to William, which was apparently sworn on holy relics. In conclusion, it has been suggested that the arrow in the eye story was only a Norman representation of Harolds betrayal, and Harold Godwine was in fact, as possibly portrayed elsewhere on the tapestry, cut down by Norman swords..?????

Janissary
Janissary

Quote gremlinlord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2006 at 09:39
Originally posted by King John

Yes I did mean Hastings. I would agree with your assessment. The impact on English Language I think would have been profound and English would be more like German than it is today. In terms of power I don't think England would have had the historical impact that it did have.

Yes...it's interesting to think ahead, way ahead to today, for instance...how would Great Britain as a whole be? And the whole language thing would also have affected the United States as well. So many possibilities!

Originally posted by Act of Oblivion

.in England we have a common phrase blimey, which is often used as an exclamation to show surprise/shock/bewilderment alongside a number of other uses. The phrase is a shortened version of gawd blimey which in turn is a corruption of god blimey. However, the interesting bit (hopefully!!) of the tale is that blimey is a shortened slang word for blind me, which then makes the spoken phrase god blind me. This is taken as a swearing or pledge that if one breaks a promise or oath, then let God strike and take out ones eyes. This loosely ties in with the image of Harold Godwin on the Bayeaux Tapestry clutching his face with an eye pierced by an arrow, perhaps from the Norman belief that Harold reneged on an oath to William, which was apparently sworn on holy relics. In conclusion, it has been suggested that the arrow in the eye story was only a Norman representation of Harolds betrayal, and Harold Godwine was in fact, as possibly portrayed elsewhere on the tapestry, cut down by Norman swords..?????

Wow, fascinating origin! I have never heard of this; thanks for posting it. Have they found a character in the tapestry who might possibly be a second Harold? That would be cool...history rewritten.

Interesting points on Harold too; especially thinking on why his official descision has been marred and muddled so that it remains a debate now, almost 1000 years later. His immediate court must have had some kind of influence on the atmosphere; I wonder how he might have reacted to that. It is interesting that the Normans have the most detailed descriptions of the situation too. I recall this document we read about Edward's death from the point of view of an Anglo-Saxon who claimed to be in the room of the king when he died, and it was rather dramatic and must have had some exaggeration from the author. But it would seem that the Normans for the most part were pushing for William much more with words than the English; so if they were writing this down as an account of what happened, were they perhaps trying to inform future generations that William was the original promised heir?

You live in a prime spot for historical sites, ne? The only medieval place I have been to besides a few cathedrals was Perrouges in France, a little town built by merchants in the 1300s; it had a Romanesque church, which was pretty neat. I have yet to visit an actual castle, though. But to live in a place where marks of the Norman conquest is so apparent...that is a very neat place indeed!

I'm glad I started this thread...this has turned into a good discussion.

Edited by gremlinlord - 11-Dec-2006 at 09:50
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2006 at 10:06

..hi gremlinlord...

..yes, the south coast of England has much historical interest, mainly as it was the most quickest and easiest area to raid from the mainland continent, hence there are many leftovers in Kent from the Viking, Roman and Norman days, not to mention the fortifications built over the centuries to deter future invasions..the area is swarming with historic sites, and Canterbury's Roman history is particularly interesting...

..however, back to your thread topic...

Have they found a character in the tapestry who might possibly be a second Harold? That would be cool...history rewritten.

..the depiction in the tapestry of Harold being slain by swords is an idea that is not that new, i am not sure where it is, but i believe it is near to the 'arrow in the eye' figure.....i remember reading something about it and watching a TV documentary regarding this matter, it is a quite convincing argument, and plausible, but no absolute proof exists of the 'truth' as far as i know...

...i do believe that some of the women involved in the making of the tapestry were Anglo-Saxon, (possibly Nuns based in Canterbury) and may have 'added' a few sly criticisms of their new Norman masters in some of the scenes!!!..again, i cannot recall the details, worth looking into though...

..bye for now...

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2006 at 10:18

Originally posted by gremlinlord

it would seem that the Normans for the most part were pushing for William much more with words than the English; so if they were writing this down as an account of what happened, were they perhaps trying to inform future generations that William was the original promised heir?

..i suppose it is possible that William's succession to the throne was legally and morally wrong, and given the military nature of the conquest, (words referring to 'conquest' on the most part absent from Norman accounts) perhaps later Norman accounts were so detailed and vivid in order to add extra legitimacy to Duke William's claim, but then again, the Norman chronicles might be so informed because they were right!!??...   

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2006 at 13:34
"legally and morally wrong?"   Really? I might be totally off base but didn't William appeal to the pope for a papal bull or bannar, which he subsequently fought under? Furthermore, if Billy thought that he was entitled to the throne because Edward promised it to him or because he was Harold's feudal lord (whether homage was done under duress or not) this can hardly be seen as being "legally or morally wrong."
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2006 at 14:00
It doesn't matter whether William was Harold's 'feudal lord', not in England anyway which wasn't a feudal society and feudal laws didn't apply (not at that point anyway).

You can't just say 'under my law I'm your lord, and your territory has to be my territory, so sucks to your law.' What counts on this issue is what the law was IN ENGLAND PRIOR TO the conquest.

The Pope had no local authority either.

William took the throne by right of conquest. The rest is flummery. Whether 'right of conquest' is legal or moral is debatable but essentially irrelevant. The Anglo-Saxons aren't going to take the land back, and anyway that's how they got it in the first place.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2006 at 14:14

..Hello King John...

Originally posted by King John

"legally and morally wrong?"   Really? I might be totally off base but didn't William appeal to the pope for a papal bull or bannar, which he subsequently fought under? Furthermore, if Billy thought that he was entitled to the throne because Edward promised it to him or because he was Harold's feudal lord (whether homage was done under duress or not) this can hardly be seen as being "legally or morally wrong."

..no, no, no, King John...my apologies, my thought was not stated as backed up fact, i do not know enough about the subject to make such claimsall my posts in this thread are off the top of my head and are more enquiry led than researched statements..my words were just a personal thought referring to the Norman chroniclers mentioned in an earlier post, and the supposed rigid-ness of their accounts; perhaps because they needed to somehow validate and legitimise a succession claim that was perceived in some circles as being illegitimate?

..however, having read your post again, and to further expand my knowledge, (and play a bit of devils advocate!), I would be interested to know how much weight Papal influence carried in England at the time, and whether this would have had any baring on the Witans probable judgement that Harold should have been king? (which is the only basis for my claim that Harold had the strongest claim). Its a tricky topic for me to understand, but if as gcle2003 claims, Edward had no right to promise the throne, then does this make the promise invalid or non-legal? Or if Harolds homage/oath to Duke William, forced or otherwise (or did it even happen?), was just that, an oath of support, does that not make Williams claim and subsequent military invasion illegitimate or morally questionable as well? How much force does an oath really have? I would imagine that the Normans strong faith would hold an oath as binding, but does this still provide a solid foundation for invading another country? Collectively with Edwards promise, I guess for Duke William the answer was a sturdy yes!! However, in the country in question, England, how much legal and moral weight did a promise and an oath really have?lots of questions there King John, but I am just thinking out loud and on the gallop.!!

PS-it looks like gcle2003 got there before i could post, and with thanks, has provided some answers to my questions...!! However, if there is anything else that could be added to my enquiries, all will be gratefully received...

Edited by Act of Oblivion - 11-Dec-2006 at 14:21
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>