Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who were Scythians?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who were Scythians?
    Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 21:57
Originally posted by Alp Ertunga

most of not all the scythians left central asia thousands of years ago.

do you have any proof of this opinion?

its more likely that the scythians and the turkic tribes mixed. that wouldnt make any of the modern turkic tribes descendents, becaus they wouldnt be directly related.

good, now you  are become  getting closer the truth ,but you did little mistake here .  im an Uyghur, i tell you little about Uyghur history, the modern Uyghurs formed of two groups:  one group is a nomadic people --ancient Uyghurs who migrated from Mungghul steppe ,they were turkik people,another group is the local Tarim basin people who were iranic people ,such as scythian,and later Tocharian .   we  are all beliving that the two groups of people are our ancester .  we are directly related to our iranic ancester as much as our turkik ancester . 

and another one thing that, ancester of ancient Uyghurs who lived in Munghul steppe were a people was called in chinese history as Dingling (2000--3000 years ago)who once lived around the Baykal lake and south Sibiria . according to chinese history books and archiologic evidence made by Russian scintisits ,the Dingling people were  I-E people,they were tall ,blue eyed, yellow or brown haired people . and it is still dont known to us which language the Dingling people spoken.   but later the Dingling people mixed up with Mongghuloid people bacame turkik people and allied with other tribes ,and calles themselves as Uyghur .

thats why i belive that we have same origon .

it doesnt matter what your people believe. i showed you other examples of people believing that they are descendents of something without evidence.

one question: i read in some books that modern iranian people formed two group people  , one of them nomadic people who came from centeral asia, another group was the local people who apperance similar to Darwi people in the south India . is that right ?

i dont really understand what your asking, but i think i got the idea.

well, some iranic people like the bactrians and the sogdians settled down and created nations early in history, so yes, some iranians did settle down.

persians, parthians, medeans, etc... did not settle down till later. if you are asking if they mixed with local populations than the answer is probably yes.

where do you live? did you take english courses in school?

im now living in Kashghar , east Tukistan . yes,i did take engilish course ,but only one year when i begin to learn engilish , thats the reason why my grammer is so bad .so    im studing  engilish grammer now .

well, i was raised in the USA.

Edited by Iranian41ife
"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 16:37
Originally posted by AFG-PaShTuN

Why are some people still keen to search more into the Scythian history when most of their questions are answered?

I'll put it this way:

Saka/Scythians are the Afghans of Southern Afghanistan, there are many reasons that prove it, here are some that i know:

:: Southern Afghanistan was once called SAKA-STAN = The Land of Sakas

sadly this isn't very strong or clear evidence as the area was at the very edge of the ancient saka lands

:: One of the biggest Pashtun/Afghan Tribe that lives there today is called Sakzai/Sakazai = Children or Son of Sak/Saka.

same as above

:: The Sakas of South Afghanistan still live in the exact same place as mentioned two thousand years ago, by historians such as Herodotus.

no, entirely different place (was West of the Caspian Sea)

:: Pashto or Afghan language is believed to be very closely related to Saka language, in fact Proto-Pashto is known as Saka.

It's Indo-Iranian, and thus related  (but not closely).  It only traces back to the 16th C. (though presumbly it is older)

:: Saka = Blood related in Pashto, for ex. Saka Wror = Blood Brother

There are many other reasons to believe that the Afghans of Southern Afghanistan are the direct decendents of the Saka people, they might have moved to other places, but their origin or homeland is most likely to be the modern Afghanistan.

It's a theory, but not a strong one.
rgds.

Tom..
kingofmazanderan View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote kingofmazanderan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 16:25

I am reading a book on the peoples of the steppe but it is mostly about the Scythians.  Here is what i know so far.

The Scythians before they became horse riders they lived in small semi settled villages like most of the rest of they world. 

Once they figured out horse riding they combined it with thier archary skills and in so doing became one of the most powerful forces of that time.

Once they became horse men they went away from settled life and became nomads and traveled with thier horses sheeps etc.

As thier power grew they soon began to raid near by greek colonies near the black sea.  The settled Greeks were so awe struck by the fighting ability of these horse men that soon they began paying them with gold and grain so that they would not attack them.

As time went on the Scythians became allies of the Assyrians and helped them conqure the cities of southern Iraq. 

Latter the Scythhians fought against Darius the Great before he went to Greece with his army of 700,000 men.  Thier was no clear winner but the Scythians angered Darius by constantly harrasing his army and buring fields as they went to starve Darius's Army. 

Even Alexander the great sent his army under command of one of his local leaders to punish the Scythians and he was easily destroyed.

Only Phillip the Great Alexanders father defeated the Scythians show to history that he was one of the Greatist leaders in the ancient world by defeating the skilled horse archers of the steppes.

Eventually though the Scythians began to settle down into villages agian and lost thier power.  Leaving the Sarmations with a chance to take the reins.  And so the Sarmations surrounded the Scythian villages.

Although i agree that the Scythians left alot of valueable beutiful golden items  for us to uncover.  They were not the ones who built those items.

Almost all of the golden treasures that the Scythians owned were made by skilled Greek smyths.

As far as the religion of the Scythians they seem to have shown alot of respect to dead people of high rank in thier society. 

Many times when a King or Queen or noble man died the scythians would put arrows, throught thier hands cut thier ears, bleed themselves  etc.

They also killed several animals and buried them with thier owners and even killed relatives and servents of that person most of the time by strangulation and buried them as well.

AFG-PaShTuN View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AFG-PaShTuN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 09:57
Why are some people still keen to search more into the Scythian history when most of their questions are answered?

I'll put it this way:

Saka/Scythians are the Afghans of Southern Afghanistan, there are many reasons that prove it, here are some that i know:

:: Southern Afghanistan was once called SAKA-STAN = The Land of Sakas
:: One of the biggest Pashtun/Afghan Tribe that lives there today is called Sakzai/Sakazai = Children or Son of Sak/Saka.
:: The Sakas of South Afghanistan still live in the exact same place as mentioned two thousand years ago, by historians such as Herodotus.
:: Pashto or Afghan language is believed to be very closely related to Saka language, in fact Proto-Pashto is known as Saka.
:: Saka = Blood related in Pashto, for ex. Saka Wror = Blood Brother

There are many other reasons to believe that the Afghans of Southern Afghanistan are the direct decendents of the Saka people, they might have moved to other places, but their origin or homeland is most likely to be the modern Afghanistan.

Edited by AFG-PaShTuN
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 06:41

most of not all the scythians left central asia thousands of years ago.

do you have any proof of this opinion?

its more likely that the scythians and the turkic tribes mixed. that wouldnt make any of the modern turkic tribes descendents, becaus they wouldnt be directly related.

good, now you  are become  getting closer the truth ,but you did little mistake here .  im an Uyghur, i tell you little about Uyghur history, the modern Uyghurs formed of two groups:  one group is a nomadic people --ancient Uyghurs who migrated from Mungghul steppe ,they were turkik people,another group is the local Tarim basin people who were iranic people ,such as scythian,and later Tocharian .   we  are all beliving that the two groups of people are our ancester .  we are directly related to our iranic ancester as much as our turkik ancester . 

and another one thing that, ancester of ancient Uyghurs who lived in Munghul steppe were a people was called in chinese history as Dingling (2000--3000 years ago)who once lived around the Baykal lake and south Sibiria . according to chinese history books and archiologic evidence made by Russian scintisits ,the Dingling people were  I-E people,they were tall ,blue eyed, yellow or brown haired people . and it is still dont known to us which language the Dingling people spoken.   but later the Dingling people mixed up with Mongghuloid people bacame turkik people and allied with other tribes ,and calles themselves as Uyghur .

thats why i belive that we have same origon .

one question: i read in some books that modern iranian people formed two group people  , one of them nomadic people who came from centeral asia, another group was the local people who apperance similar to Darwi people in the south India . is that right ?

where do you live? did you take english courses in school?

im now living in Kashghar , east Tukistan . yes,i did take engilish course ,but only one year when i begin to learn engilish , thats the reason why my grammer is so bad .so    im studing  engilish grammer now .

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2006 at 09:43
Originally posted by barbar

Are you telling us, Sychians were living in the central Asia, but they just died out. They are not part of any present day people? How ridiculous!!

They might be Iranic, or any seperate IE branch originally, which needs further research.

But a group that large don't just disappear. There might be migration, but the main body surely left in central Asia, as there are no historical records for this type of whole scale migration. So they surely had interegrated into Turkic stock, who are the main dwellers of the central Asia now.

that is what i meant by "died out". scythians as an ethnic group no longer exists, so they technically died out.

there are many people in the USA of native american descent but most of the native american tribes have died out, they no longer exist as an ethnicity.

and its really hard for me to believe, with no evidence posted, that any scythians are the descendents of modern day turkic poeples for two reasons:

1) most of not all the scythians left central asia thousands of years ago.

2) its more likely that the scythians and the turkic tribes mixed. that wouldnt make any of the modern turkic tribes descendents, becaus they wouldnt be directly related.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2006 at 00:21
Alp Ertunga wrote:

you also claim that scythians are the ancestors of turkic tribes.... with what evidence? your own opinion?

a lot of peoples here ,have given you more evidence,but you still didint belive that,so i think it is not nececcery anymore evedence to you,i just ask you a question : you know ,scythians are the nomadic people,nomadic peoples often went far far away just for find a good steps,so why do you thing there is no possibility that any of scythian tribes became a turkik tribe ??

I have never read here a such evidence which was scientifically proven, so no evidence at all.

@Barbar, Scythians were assimilated by many races and tribes. They are not dissapeared, and today Ossetian people are the descendants of scythians.

barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 23:55

Are you telling us, Sychians were living in the central Asia, but they just died out. They are not part of any present day people? How ridiculous!!

They might be Iranic, or any seperate IE branch originally, which needs further research.

But a group that large don't just disappear. There might be migration, but the main body surely left in central Asia, as there are no historical records for this type of whole scale migration. So they surely had interegrated into Turkic stock, who are the main dwellers of the central Asia now.

Either make a history or become a history.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 21:41

central asia is not only home to the turkic peoples. it is today, however, thousands of years ago it was mostly iranic

can you tell me what is the difination of " iranic" ,

iranic people are the people who speak or spoke an iranian language, such as kurds, persians, aghans, tajiks, etc...

you are assuming that just because they came from central asia that they must be turkic.

no,i didint mean they are turks, i just think they are the ancester of some turkik tribes,just as they are the ancester of iranic people.

well, as i pointed out earlier, many different people claim to be the descendants of scythians. we can just believe people because they say so. there is no way know if someone today is a descendant because scythians died out thousand years ago.

you also claim that scythians are the ancestors of turkic tribes.... with what evidence? your own opinion?

a lot of peoples here ,have given you more evidence,but you still didint belive that,so i think it is not nececcery anymore evedence to you,i just ask you a question : you know ,scythians are the nomadic people,nomadic peoples often went far far away just for find a good steps,so why do you thing there is no possibility that any of scythian tribes became a turkik tribe ??

no, no one provided any evidence, they just provided their own opinions, like you did.

to provide evidence, you need to site sources.

most historians classify them as indo european/indo iranian

another question, north european people belives that theier ancecter comes from centeral asiya, you said "central asia is not only home to the turkic peoples. it is today, however, thousands of years ago it was mostly iranic."according to your opinin ,all the north evropean people are iranic people?? 

no, iranics are an indo european people. germans and other such europeans are also indo european, just like iranic, but of another sect.

and by the way, your english is good.

thankyou,man!im  learning engilish now. i think  it is the goodway to improve my engilish that wright down my opinion there, communicate with people in engilish,so that i can learnengilish,also history from here,so please help me ,correc my writing .

your basic english is very good, however, you do have a lot of grammatical mistakes, but you will learn over time. where do you live? did you take english courses in school?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 21:21

central asia is not only home to the turkic peoples. it is today, however, thousands of years ago it was mostly iranic

can you tell me what is the difination of " iranic" ,

you are assuming that just because they came from central asia that they must be turkic.

no,i didint mean they are turks, i just think they are the ancester of some turkik tribes,just as they are the ancester of iranic people.

most historians classify them as indo european/indo iranian

another question, north european people belives that theier ancecter comes from centeral asiya, you said "central asia is not only home to the turkic peoples. it is today, however, thousands of years ago it was mostly iranic."according to your opinin ,all the north evropean people are iranic people?? 

other words with sak and saka sounding combinations:Sacagawea- Shoshone Indian who assisted the historic Lewis and Clark expedition

saka-saka- Congolese for casava leaves.

it is interesting, i have to check it out .

thankyou,man!im  learning engilish now. i think  it is the goodway to improve my engilish that wright down my opinion there, communicate with people in engilish,so that i can learnengilish,also history from here,so please help me ,correc my writing .

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 20:26

ok, again, you are making the same mistake that other turks are making.

you are assuming that central asia has always been turkic. persians, parthians, medeans, etc... also came from central asia. indo europeans are also central asians, were also nomadic, were also horse riders, etc...

central asia is not only home to the turkic peoples. it is today, however, thousands of years ago it was mostly iranic.

and everything herodotus says about the scythians points to them being iranic, especially the words herodotus wrote down that were scythian.

and saka and sak are used by many different people and mean different things in different places.  socrates and i made that clear on the top of the page.

and you also are using names and words that have "sak" in them to justify your claims.

other words with sak and saka sounding combinations:

Sacagawea- Shoshone Indian who assisted the historic Lewis and Clark expedition

saka-saka- Congolese for casava leaves.

i can show you thousands of examples like these.

are the native americans scythians? are the congolese scythians? no.

and the domestication of wolves/dogs happened before the central asian tribes:

Dogs: from 12,000 years ago

The earliest known evidence of a domesticated dog is a jawbone found in a cave in Iraq and dated to about 12,000 years ago. It differs from a wolf in that it has been bred to have a smaller jaw and teeth. Selective breeding affects a species quite rapidly, and is a natural process for man to initiate - probably at first by accident rather than intention. A particular puppy in a litter is favoured because it has an attractive coat, barks well, is unusually friendly or obedient, noticeably large or small.

This is the dog which is kept and in its turn has puppies. Its desirable characteristics become perpetuated.
  Click for interactive version

Click to print section

bom

Images in Egyptian paintings, Assyrian sculptures and Roman mosaics reveal that by the time of these civilizations there are many different shapes and sizes of dog. To use the word 'breed' may be anachronistic, though there is evidence that a dog very like the present-day Pekingese (almost as far as one can get from a wolf) exists in China by the 1st century AD.

By that time Roman ladies also have lap dogs; their warmth is believed to be a cure for stomach ache. A Roman writer of the period gives similarly practical reasons for selecting the colour of a dog: shepherds' dogs should be white (to distinguish them from wolves in the dark) but a farmyard dog should have a black coat (to frighten thieves).

bon

again, like socrates and i showed earlier, many people from the celts in europe to the pashtuns to some turkic tribes in central asia claim to be the real descendents of the scythians.

again, most historians classify them as indo european/indo iranian.

Edited by Iranian41ife
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 19:21

there are a lot of places which named with the word "sak" in east turkistan. kbkurban wrote it before,and i want to add some.

Yarkent city in kashghar, long ago this city called as "sakarul"(sak+arul),in chinese history books wroted as "sha che" .

Hotan-is a very old city in xinjiang,once it calles as Udun,many historian thingk that the Hotan people are the decendent of Sak people, for there are some diffirence with main uighur dialict,peoples from Hotan can't pronounce or hardly pronounce the ward "R", some example: darya (river) in main uighur dialict, dayya in hotan dialict,  birish (go)---biyish, nurghun(more)---nuyghun.  Mahmud kashghari (kashigharli Mahmud) wrote in his famous book --- "turkik-arabik dictionary" that  "hotan people speaks diffirent language ,we don't  regard them as true turks" . there  still have  a lot of diffrent words in hotan dialict now .

And the most intresting thing is hotan people call the dog  as "SAK" . is there any realation between the two "sak" thing?? lets cheek it out :

it is known to all of us that centeral asian people were the first people who adopted wolves into dogs.

n chinese history books, there is a nomadic people calles as " quan rong" , they mentioned in the pieriod of first chinese kinngdom --xia to zhou dynisty. it is wrote that this people were nomadic people , they often attack to agricaltural tribes. they were the decendent of a "white dog" , their name was "quan rong" ,quan --Ȯ---dog (in chinese), rong-----hair , just kind of people who have a lot of hair, and dog was thier Tutim.  now some chinese historians think that the quan rong people was coucasianes . but they didint know what kind of language the quan rong people used to .  Quan rong people have some relation with Di people, who are the ancestor of Xiong nu,and ancient Uighur.

also there is some information abou sak people in Hirodot ,he wrote that sak people (hirodot called them as scythian) were nomadik people,good warrior,and they usally use the dogs in battle . (i read it in a book) .

so ,can we suggest that once the nomadic people which located a very wide places--from black see to mongghul highland ,ever had regard the dog as a Tutim for themselves,and called them as "SAk (dog)" ??

and another thing a want to tell that the scythians are the ancestor of many turkik tribes ,also they are the ancester of now a days iranic people .  i think their language  belongs to I-E language systim . but their language also prototype of turkik language. becouse when the Sak tribes became turkik tribe, they changed their language into antient turkik language, their grammer was changed,but they kept  many Sak wards ,and take it into the turkik language.  this is the proof that the great Indian eposes "mahabkharita" and "ramayana" ,there more then 100 turkik words there,we can still understand what is that ward's mean .

also,Sakyamuni --the biulder of Budda religion, l read that the mean of   "Sakyamuni" is " profit of Saks" .

my engilish is too bad,so pls exuse me for my writing mistakes .

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 12:22

So you know Indo iranian is a subbranch of Indo european, then why do you use slash as to imply IE equals II?

One correction though, there is no subbranch as Afghans in IE.

Iranic is Indo European, more specifically Indo iranian.

Celtic is Indo european, but not Indo iranian. According to this article, Sychians might be a subbranch of IE like Celtic, Anatolian etc.

Now it should be clear to you.

no, when i say indo european/indo iranian i mean that they are of the indo european branch, but specifically indo iranian.

barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 12:02

So you know Indo iranian is a subbranch of Indo european, then why do you use slash as to imply IE equals II?

One correction though, there is no subbranch as Afghans in IE.

Iranic is Indo European, more specifically Indo iranian.

Celtic is Indo european, but not Indo iranian. According to this article, Sychians might be a subbranch of IE like Celtic, Anatolian etc.

Now it should be clear to you.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 00:06

The majority of Historians who you are talking about always differ the Indo European and Indo Iranian.While the latter only includes Indic and Iranic.  Such as Greek were IE, but not II. Keep this always in mind.

most actually do refer to them as being either indo european or indo iranian.

remember that indo european is just the group as a whole, it has different sects within that group. so one historian can call them indo european, refering to the whole race of indo europeans which includes iranians, germans, afghans, etc... and another historian might be more specific and say indo iranian, which cuts out about half of the indo european sect.

get it? but still, most consider them indo european/indo iranian.

barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 22:08

The majority of Historians who you are talking about always differ the Indo European and Indo Iranian.While the latter only includes Indic and Iranic.  Such as Greek were IE, but not II. Keep this always in mind.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 18:34
Originally posted by Suevari

Originally posted by Iranian41ife

so basically the article is saying that the scythians were neither turkic nor iranic but some anatolian tribe???

this article raises even more questions, however, it doesnt answer much.

Hmm, true it does complicate matters, but it also questions the up until now total acceptance of them being Iranic.  Their history is shadowy.

Same goes for Sarmations who's roots are also arguable.

no, one article does not question anything.

for something to be changed or disrupted, it has to be accepted by the whole historical community.

as i have pointed out before, most historians say they are indo european/indo iranian.

one article means nothing.

Suevari View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Spammer

Quote Suevari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 17:56

so basically the article is saying that the scythians were neither turkic nor iranic but some anatolian tribe???

Hmm, true it does complicate matters, but it also questions the up until now total acceptance of them being Iranic.  Their history is shadowy.

Same goes for Sarmations who's roots are also arguable.
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 17:25

im just telling you want some people believe because the other guy was trying to use the fact that some turks today claim to be descendants of the saka's (scythians).

i was trying to show him exactly what you said.

Ok. however, never use nazi propaganda as any kind of evidence...their claims were\are extremely superficial and contradictory...

As for the Scythians-it's 100 % sure they were IE's- iranics-more precisely.Their life-style was once common for all IE's... 

"It's better to be a billionair for a lifetime then to live in poverty for a week"
               Bob Rock
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 17:18

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>