Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Beginning of the British empire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beginning of the British empire
    Posted: 30-Nov-2006 at 23:10
When the discussing the British empire, when "was" the beginnning. Because they had started trade an colonies in the 1500s

In 1583 Sir Humphrey Gilbert claimed the island of Newfoundland as England's for Elizabeth I, reinforcing John Cabot's prior claim to the island in 1497, for Henry VII, as England's first overseas colony

In terms of years how many years did the real "British empire" last ??

I know its 300 years but shouldnt it be more....

Edited by think - 30-Nov-2006 at 23:18
Eondt View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Eondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2006 at 01:26

Never thought about this before, but my guess would be with the occupation of India as this was the first time that the Emperor/Empress title was bestowed?

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2006 at 02:01
    I tend to think the British Empire was caused by the French and started by a Dutchman. Yup, it's all the fault of bloody foriegners as usual.

All countries had colonies, England having a few colonies doesn't signal the start of an empire. Cromwell's Commonwealth may have looked good on paper but lacked any real financial clout.

Then enter two men, William of Orange and Louis iv. One brought the Dutch capitalist system to England, as well as a competant military system. The other wanted to start an empire to rule the world.

So I date the British Empire around the time Britain began opposition to Louis iv around the world.
Many countries opposed Louis, but they either lacked the money or manpower. Britain had both and on top of this two revolutions in the recent past, the ECW and The Glorious Revolution that had radicalised both the government and people. So the money, motive and manpower were there.

Then the global fight against French imperialism began, and 60 years later Britain had won. But at the end Britain was no-longer the country that had set out to oppose Louis iv's oppression, but had turned full circle and now was closer to Louis iv's ideal.

Edited by Paul - 01-Dec-2006 at 02:22
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2006 at 02:50
For me, the stablishment of the first colonies out of England, in North Amrica. The precedents aren't the voyages of Cabot, because this line wasn't followed, but the end of the english ambitios in continental Europe with the lost in Calais and the fundation of a royal navy, after this, we see to the great sailors as Drake expanding the naval role of England, and this movement was finally matured with the fundation of Jamestown (before this there were other two usucessful colonies). The following step are the Navigation Acts, wich consolidated all this oceanic projection.

So i think we should look to the time 1550-1650, and in the middle the crucial action that was the stablishment of well consolidated colonies in North Amrica (1607)
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 12:24
I should personally think that the defeat of Louis XIV at the battle of Bleheim by the Duke of Malbourgh in 1706 was a very important imperial turning point for Britain- not only had the British defeated their main rival on the continent, but they had also left the Dutch and the Holy Romans indebted to them, humiliated the German state and significantly crippled Spanish power. Since it was the Spanish navy that was making the British resort to sponsored Piracy, this move would have potentially opened up the Americas to us British and would have let companies like the Hudson bay and east india company start up proper trading links which were secure.

Ikki, don't neccesarily think that the Americas were Britain's apple- the east was also very important due to the potentially larger (at the time) gains to be gotten from trading with the Qing dynasty in China and the Mughal empire in India. Also, it allowed to Brits to provide pressure onto a growing Russia which could threaten their future interests. Africa and Asia were Britian's major imperialist stomping grounds before North America, and the importance placed and excerted on and by British African and Asian prosessions since 1776 (not to mention that the British empire was still powerful even after the loss of North America). Also, Britain did not consider it economically viable to actually take a large colony in South America (although they did own a vast amount of stocks in Venuzala, and I would argue that this practically made it part of the British empire). We cannot understate the economic and strategic importance played by Britains' North American colonies in feeding Britain cheaply and providing a brilliant source of revenue for the British economy, but in the long term I would say that Asia was more important to them.
 Post Reply Post Reply