Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Possible Union of Churches

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possible Union of Churches
    Posted: 05-Jan-2007 at 00:45
As long as all they are saying is that in her role as Christ's mother (through her cooperation with the will of God) as well as in her role as constant intercessor, I believe there is something to it. If this is the case, however, I don't see why they need to use what I view to be dangerous, and potentially misleading language.

I believe that is exactly what it means, I know the language is a bit worrisome to me as well. However you have to understand that JP II could do no wrong, and since he attributed his survived assassination attempt on Mary then you can see why he would want to elevate her in the eyes of the public.

I also don't like these statements because I believe that the Marian Cult is becoming not necessarily a new force but a stronger force within the church. Listening to some people talk about her it seems like they are elevating her above Christ sometimes. Funnily enough these are the same people that usually want a more evangelical catholic church.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 08:55
how does the belief of original sin, the inherent sinfulness in the human nature in catholic belief interact with the papal infallibility?

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2007 at 08:48
bumpWink
The_Jackal_God View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote The_Jackal_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2007 at 01:44
interesting read.

i never got to know the orthodox position in depth before, funny to find it on this website.

one quote on the matter i remember is

Ubi Petrus, ibi Ecclesia.

St. Cyril or someone.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2007 at 10:02
There is no possible union of these churches, that's for sure.  
elenos
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2007 at 10:38
Originally posted by The_Jackal_God

interesting read.

i never got to know the orthodox position in depth before, funny to find it on this website.

one quote on the matter i remember is

Ubi Petrus, ibi Ecclesia.

St. Cyril or someone.

You never know what you'll find on All Empires. LOL

I know Ambrose said something like that in one of his sermons, but I am not familiar with a similar quote attributed to Pope Cyril of Alexandria--or did you mean Patriarch Cyril of Jerusalem? If you could find the document for me, I would be most grateful; I'd love to read it in context.

That said, Ambrose found himself quite able to make a similar comment and understand Peter's primacy as one of honor--and one inseparable from his confession.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 02-Aug-2007 at 10:40
andrew View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2007 at 12:07
No, won't happen. There is to much of a deep division between the Greek East and Latin West. Both Orthodox churches, East and Oriental, will probably rejoin but the Catholic Churches and Orthodox Churches have to many differences. Considering Pope Benedict's stance and the more conservative shell the Catholic Church is going into the reunification is pretty much impossible.

We never have, and never will yield to the Pope in Rome we taught them not the other way around.
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2007 at 16:05
1054 can never be undone. Those two Churches have remained apart from the better part of a millenia. They culturally, linguistically, ethnically and ideologically represent two different camps. There's no way that they can be brought together because, perhaps most importantly, religion is a cultural thing and the cultures which it represents also won't want to join their church to that of an alien people.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote The_Jackal_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2007 at 16:53
when people say that the two churches can never unite because of differences, cultural or otherwise, i have to wonder whether they realize the differences among the various Orthodox Churches or among the Catholic Church. secondly, the Catholic Church has more flexibility along ethnic lines, not being divided up into national Churches. Looking at Islam, religion is the most powerful facet of culture, that can draw feelings of unity above and beyond ethnic, social, and political lines - which goes as well for Catholics.

that being said, the Catholic Church is undergoing a lot of changes that were a long time coming. It's finally returning to what it is was before it became an Italian thing. the heartJ of the Catholic Church is still Rome, but its flocks are predominantly non-European now, in Latin America, and Africa. John Paul II changed a lot of attitudes that were holding the Catholic mindset back.

You might think Benedict is a conservative, and in some areas he is. But in other ways, he is following the tracks of JPII and his progressive mindset.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2007 at 19:12
Originally posted by andrew

Considering Pope Benedict's stance and the more conservative shell the Catholic Church is going into the reunification is pretty much impossible.

Originally posted by The Jackal God

You might think Benedict is a conservative, and in some areas he is. But in other ways, he is following the tracks of JPII and his progressive mindset.

In fact I would say that Pope Benedict XVI is actually more capable of promoting Christian unity than Pope John Paul II. His ability to better conduct dialogue, especially with the East, stems from two facts that are seldom covered in the press (which, for some reason, has been set against his enthronement): 

1) Benedict is simply a better theologian, hands down. In addition to this, one of his chief interests happens to be liturgical theology. Because of this, he has a great deal of respect for the traditional organic development of the liturgy from which Vatican II (or, according to Benedict, the subsequent interpretations of Vatican II) represented a departure. He also has a great deal of respect for the Eastern Rite. Indeed he admires the ability of the Eastern liturgical tradition to convey the faith--lex orandi, lex credendi. Finally, Benedict understands, better than any pope in recent memory, the underlying causes of the Schism.

2) No matter what anyone tells you, Benedict is much better at Ecumenical dialogue than JPII. This stems from both his willingness to be frank (see the recent letter that came out of the CDF) and his ability to show consideration. This second point is especially important in the dialogue between the East and the West. John Paul was good at sounding like an Ecumenist (some Roman Catholic anti-Ecumenists would say a bit too good) and making gestures of outward concession, but he compounded some of the real issues that impede Ecumenical dialogue (see the Uniate problem). In Benedict we have a man who understands the historical problems with the development of papal primacy--remember his affiliation in the 50s and 60s with reform groups, Hanz Kung, and others. Benedict has, so far, shown himself to be erudite, determined, honest and, above all, concerned.

In conclusion, I, an Orthodox Christian, think that the prospects for Ecumenical dialogue have never been better. Mind you, I don't think that they are particularly good, and it is possible that nothing short of the miraculous intervention of the Holy Spirit is likely to bring about a reunification. Still, Benedict XVI has played an integral role in moving the dialogue forward.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 02-Aug-2007 at 19:18
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2007 at 19:38
Besides some of the doctrinal differences mentioned by posters I wonder if the Priests would be forbidden to marry. For that reason alone I hope that Orthodoxy rejects any reunification.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote The_Jackal_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2007 at 01:32
celibacy of priests only applies to the Latin rite, not to any of the Eastern rites, unless so ordained by their chief prelates.

in other words, unification wouldn't change the Orthodox tradition of married clergy.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2008 at 06:08
Originally posted by The_Jackal_God

celibacy of priests only applies to the Latin rite, not to any of the Eastern rites, unless so ordained by their chief prelates.

in other words, unification wouldn't change the Orthodox tradition of married clergy.

Aye. I have always been of the opinion that the celibate clergy is a discipline particular to the West, and is within the rights of the Western bishops and their patriarch to regulate. Thus, if union were achieved, the Roman church would not have to permit its clergy to marry. That said, I think clerical celibacy is an inconvenient policy, and it certainly is not the way things were in the beginning.

-Akolouthos
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2008 at 05:29
Originally posted by Aster Thrax Eupator

1054 can never be undone. Those two Churches have remained apart from the better part of a millenia. They culturally, linguistically, ethnically and ideologically represent two different camps. There's no way that they can be brought together because, perhaps most importantly, religion is a cultural thing and the cultures which it represents also won't want to join their church to that of an alien people.

1054AD is overblown. The two churches were divided before that. That date intself is really something that became a big deal later by inexperienced scholars. Any serious medievalist will not find any importance in it, nor church scholars.

There was discord between the churches at the moment, the papal legate was sent to Constantinople to deal with the patriarch. The pope died in the meanwhile, thus the legate's power was nonexistent since they served throughout the appointment of one pope, and their post was not grandfathered in. The legate and the patriarch were both hard headed. Words were exchanged and they excommunicated with each other (he did not have the power lets remind ourselves). Nor did this do much, since this act was overblown.

There has been discord and disunity between the two since the eight century. Various disputes and the filioque were hard to reconcile as it is.

Nor was there a real union to begin with. The Roman curch was essentially a patriarchate that had not much control outside of Italy, nor had the idea of a univeral pappacy fully developed yet. That is more of a twelvth century idea.

Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2008 at 15:51
Originally posted by es_bih

1054AD is overblown. The two churches were divided before that. That date intself is really something that became a big deal later by inexperienced scholars. Any serious medievalist will not find any importance in it, nor church scholars.

There was discord between the churches at the moment, the papal legate was sent to Constantinople to deal with the patriarch. The pope died in the meanwhile, thus the legate's power was nonexistent since they served throughout the appointment of one pope, and their post was not grandfathered in. The legate and the patriarch were both hard headed. Words were exchanged and they excommunicated with each other (he did not have the power lets remind ourselves). Nor did this do much, since this act was overblown.

There has been discord and disunity between the two since the eight century. Various disputes and the filioque were hard to reconcile as it is.

Nor was there a real union to begin with. The Roman curch was essentially a patriarchate that had not much control outside of Italy, nor had the idea of a univeral pappacy fully developed yet. That is more of a twelvth century idea.

True, 1054 is overblown. There was discord before 1054, centered on the gradual gravitation toward the filioque in the West, the brief triumph of iconoclasm in the East, and even earlier with Justinian's campaign against the Three Chapters (most of the western bishops believed that he should have been focusing on the Monophysites, not the Nestorians).

That said, it is important to remember that unity wasn't really even broken in 1054. The excommunications were directed at the interested parties (the papal legates and Cerularius), not their respective Churches. In addition, as you have noted, the legates didn't even have legatine authority, owing to the death of their bishop.

And their was real union, just not according to modern Roman ecclesiology -- it was reflected in the Eucharistic unity of the bishops of the oikoumene. The bishops of the East and the West were in communion with each other and met together in councils to govern the Church for most of the Ecumenical Period, and any breaks were temporary.

-Akolouthos
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2008 at 21:16
Originally posted by Akolouthos

Originally posted by es_bih

True, 1054 is overblown. There was discord before 1054, centered on the gradual gravitation toward the filioque in the West, the brief triumph of iconoclasm in the East, and even earlier with Justinian's campaign against the Three Chapters (most of the western bishops believed that he should have been focusing on the Monophysites, not the Nestorians).

That said, it is important to remember that unity wasn't really even broken in 1054. The excommunications were directed at the interested parties (the papal legates and Cerularius), not their respective Churches. In addition, as you have noted, the legates didn't even have legatine authority, owing to the death of their bishop.

And their was real union, just not according to modern Roman ecclesiology -- it was reflected in the Eucharistic unity of the bishops of the oikoumene. The bishops of the East and the West were in communion with each other and met together in councils to govern the Church for most of the Ecumenical Period, and any breaks were temporary.

-Akolouthos

Another interesting thread!

Yes, they certainly were in communion with eachother, albeit with sporadic temporary schisms. An objective historical observation, however, will certainly conclude that there were certain differing views on, what some would say, rather important facets of the Church. Exactly why some of these differing views were not "hammered out", so to speak, is definitely a question of political, linguistic, and cultural anlysis. Of course with contextual awareness always being present.

Feels good to finally write a post! And I promise to post in our other "primacy" discussion as soon as Finals Week is thru!

God Bless,

arch.buff
Be a servant to all, that is a quality of a King.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123