Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite armor.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Keltoi View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Keltoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite armor.
    Posted: 17-Aug-2004 at 15:42

What armor really appeals to you.

I really like the unique, but effective armor that the Polish winged hussars used. It looked great, and performed just as well.

http://www.rencentral.com/sept_vol1/hussars.shtml

http://www.medieval-weaponry.com/en-us/dept_707.html

The mongols also had an amazing armor. As many of you know, they used silk and leather. The silk would allow arrows to be removed easily and this combination was very light.

Cymru am Byth
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2004 at 16:35

Brigandine,  that is what I would wear if going on the front lines

Terribly sorry I was in a rush.  To be specific leather brigandine,  nice and flexible and light but still tough and can be repaired by a soldier.

Edited by Huitzilopochtli
Keltoi View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Keltoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2004 at 16:40
Could you please explain why?
Cymru am Byth
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2004 at 18:02

my favorite armor in terms of appearance in no doubt Japanese armor.

In terms of effectiveness I caould really argue anyones case, but I also really like mid Ottoman armor with the slim plates and lots so chain.

Most effective from what historical sources Ive read would be Tibetan armor though.  In reports from Turks, Arabs, and Chinese it is mentioned how good Tibetan armor was and how it stopped arows much better thna most others.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2004 at 19:48

In terms of design- depends, but a Japanese samurai armor looks scary, while aztec eagle warrior armor looks fancy, and Korean ones look colorful.  China is a mixture of hybrid as far as I can see. 

But did anyone realize that teutonic knights wore 10 layers of chail mail armor?  That msut have been pretty tough

Grrr..
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2004 at 19:54
Makes since,  they could pretty much take any other troop unless they were knocked over,  then I could imagine they would be in a tricky situation
fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2004 at 21:59
mongolian silk armor.

A silk shirt designed not to prevent slashes,stabs or other injuries but just so that it is easier to pull out the head of the arrow if it hits you.
YusakuJon3 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote YusakuJon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 18:54
I find that I like the armor worn by Roman legions, especially the elite corps.  It looks light and flexible, but is tough at the same time.  Too bad they couldn't have thought of adopting a silk undershirt for added protection against arrows the way that Mongols did, but that big shield of theirs did most of the work anyway.  Just drop the shield below eye level long enough to let that pilum fly, then charge in with the gladius swinging...
"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2004 at 16:37

Anything chainmail, when I worked in a butcher's shop we had chain mail gloves and those things wouldn't let anything slice you, besides if you wore extra layers like demon said for the teutonic knights you'd pretty much be immune to arrows. Although ten layers would be a little much, maybe 3 or so.......

Just drop the shield below eye level long enough to let that pilum fly, then charge in with the gladius swinging...

This is all irrelevant but wasn't the gladius a thrusting sword?

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Tonifranz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Tonifranz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2004 at 16:49

The European Plate armor of the 1400s! It covered everything, and I mean everything, and it dominated European battlefields for 100 years till the invention of firearms. Though pictured in movies as heavy and cumbersome, it's actually pretty effective in the Battlefield with the right tactics (not the French tactics of charging English longbowmen in the field, but one that uses the advantages of the knights relative invulnerability in hand to hand combat).

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2004 at 19:41
Actually I was recently reading about carbon reinforced plate armor,  that is definetely buying protection isn't it?
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2004 at 21:38
Those Polish winged hussars look cool...what was the point of those wings though? decoration? I like Northern native American armor...Those bone vests look soo cool
Roughneck View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Roughneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2004 at 22:12
From what I understand the wings were supposed to make a frightening noise that scared the other side's horses.  This is just what I read, so no, I don't know how to reconcile the obvious contradiction of why didn't it scare the Polish horses.  Maybe by training with them the Polish horses were no longer scared of the sound.
[IMG]http://img160.exs.cx/img160/7417/14678932fstore0pc.jpg">
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2004 at 22:36
The horses were probably conditioned to not be afraid of the wings,  the same way horses of the middle east were not afraid of camels scent because they had been around them.
Keltoi View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Keltoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 18:19
No, it was used to block their backs from swords from behind.
Cymru am Byth
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 18:32

To me, they just look heavy...maybe it was used during cav vs cav confontation where you bash an enemy passing closely by with the wide wing...you know what I'm saying?

But, True, Polish Hussars are remarkable.

Grrr..
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 20:25
Wow so many ideas...iono what they're for but they look crazy.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 22:54
Actually I was wondering,  for Tuetonic Knights,  how did they walk with all that armor on?  Or did they ride on horse back?(sorry I don't much about them other than they were quite powerful)
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 23:42

"mongolian silk armor.

A silk shirt designed not to prevent slashes,stabs or other injuries but just so that it is easier to pull out the head of the arrow if it hits you."

Silk armour is not an mongolian invention nor is the mongols strongly revolutionized it in any way, silk only made up the minority of the mongol armour, its the Manchus that start to wear silk armour in great quantity.

fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2004 at 11:08
But if the Mongols came before the Manchus, how is that logically possible?

I am quite certain that the Mongols were the first to wear silk as a protection against arrows.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>