Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Popes, Patriarchs, Turks and Religious Repression

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Online Status: Offline
  Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Popes, Patriarchs, Turks and Religious Repression
    Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 01:00
Bg Turk, Not well known but there's a Turkish Orthodox church for Turkish orthodoxs, which has been established by a Turkist Greek -Yes, looks perfectly weird- who was excommunicated by the Patriarchate, and which has been in conflict with the Patriarchate since 1920's. For every attitude of the Patriarchate there's a deep political reason, and the language issue is one of them. 
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 01:02
No, I did not say the Patriarch should change his language, I simply said that Turkish should be one of the languages he uses. I was disappointed when I saw it missing on his official website, which had only a Greek and an English version. It is  not surprising then that Orthodox Turks do not accept his authority since obviously he is totally ignoring them.  

It remains my conviction that it is the duty of the Turkish state to ensure that all citizens speak Turkish and are functional within Turkish society, and I do not think  this is any way fascist or assimilatory, it is simply practical. If some people become marginalized because they are unable to speak Turkish, then this surely is the problem of the Turkish state.

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 01:13
greek minority speak istanbul turkish most probably better than majority of Turks, and their webpage is not our job. We have not a law that say, webpagez should be Turkish. Thanks god.

Teaching Turkish can be Turkey duty, but forcing it is not turkey duty, but discrimination against others.

which has been established by a Turkist Greek

I find this weird too, but It looks like their relation with patriarch is not fine.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 02:11

I should also add, It is not our job to interfere orthodox conflicts.I  remember an event, Putin said,Our relation with turkey become worse, If she accept ecumenism.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 02:59
this turkish orthodox church is the most bizare thing ive ever heard off in a long time, its like a religoius no mans land of sorts.

to add another dimension to the debate, a greek priest told me the russians are trying to dominate the church on a whole and the Euc patriacharchy has been blocking this. Has it occured to anyone that maybe its safer to have a local (albiet greek) position hold the leadership closer to turkey than let the church be run by an outside much more powerful force that can do more harm?

(the russians are more hardline orthodox than greeks BTW)

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 03:15

this turkish orthodox church is the most bizare thing ive ever heard off in a long time, its like a religoius no mans land of sorts.

Indeed, more bizare thing is, They dislike missionories, and They dont aim to convert muslims, but atheists.

to add another dimension to the debate, a greek priest told me the russians are trying to dominate the church on a whole and the Euc patriacharchy has been blocking this.

I heard this is totally otherwise, Patriatch of Istanbul is  trying to expand his lborders. He is trying to bind Ukranian church to himself.

Has it occured to anyone that maybe its safer to have a local (albiet greek) position hold the leadership closer to turkey than let the church be run by an outside much more powerful force that can do more harm?

I dont think we should afraid from it, Orthodox dont make crusader, and in Turkey, we have not much orthodox.(So Russia have not much reason to interfere Turkish politics.)

I also heard, there are conflicts between greece and istanbul church too..

Only way, we can use patriatch is for interfering orthodox(Turkey  as a protecter of orthodox?) confllict with others. Orthodox have conflicts with only muslims(more important mostly our allies)((bosniak, chechen,  albanian)  So for now, It is not beneficial for us.

We should support patriatch only If there would be a reunion with Rome, or we have more power. For know, our country is to weak to play such big games.

Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 16:14
Originally posted by bg_turk

Regarding the language issue, I think it is important for the Patriarchate to start using Turkish in order to facitiliate the dialogue between it and the rest of Turkish society - it would be an important step to overcome the distrust and animosity.
Yes, this is a good reason why the Patriarcate should add a Turkish version on their website. [Comments like "it should use Turkish as the official language because it is a  Turkish institution" or "if they don't use turkish this means that they totally ignore Orthodox Turks" are nonsense.] If they use turkish, maybe some Turks will take the time to learn a few things about the Patriarch and the Patriarchate and, who knows, maybe they will start fearing him less and respect him a bit more.
And btw the Patriarch speaks Turkish fluently.

Originally posted by Mortaza

I should also add, It is not our job to interfere orthodox conflicts.I  remember an event, Putin said,Our relation with turkey become worse, If she accept ecumenism.
True, the Russians would like to see their Patriarch become the Ecumenical Patriarch, so Turkish policy favors them.

I also heard, there are conflicts between greece and istanbul church too..
Yes, our megalomaniac (and I could use more adjectives here..) Archibishop found the Patriarch weak and tried to take advantage of it... He likes to play with fire sometimes lol

Originally posted by Leonidas

to add another dimension to the debate, a greek priest told me the russians are trying to dominate the church on a whole and the Euc patriacharchy has been blocking this. Has it occured to anyone that maybe its safer to have a local (albiet greek) position hold the leadership closer to turkey than let the church be run by an outside much more powerful force that can do more harm?
The Russians may manage to dominate most of the Church, but they are not in a position to dominate the old Patriarchates. Therefore, if this happens it will be for the benefit of Turkey, because it will further weaken the Constantinople Patriarchate.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 16:21
Bg Turk, Not well known but there's a Turkish Orthodox church for Turkish orthodoxs, which has been established by a Turkist Greek -

Arn't Orthodox Turks, Gagauz? I thought they had their own Turkish Orthodox Church which is also recognised by Turkey? and also the Chavush are Orthodox Turks.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 18:45

Yes Gagauz's are Ortodox Turks but i think they talking about Karamani's.

Most of Ortodox Turks gone to Greece and most of Muslim Greeks(like my grandmam) come to Turkey after 20's. But i know that there is a Turkish Ortodox church in Karaky(İstanbul)
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 21:07
Originally posted by Neoptolemos

Yes, this is a good reason why the Patriarcate should add a Turkish version on their website. [Comments like "it should use Turkish as the official language because it is a  Turkish institution" or "if they don't use turkish this means that they totally ignore Orthodox Turks" are nonsense.] If they use turkish, maybe some Turks will take the time to learn a few things about the Patriarch and the Patriarchate and, who knows, maybe they will start fearing him less and respect him a bit more.
And btw the Patriarch speaks Turkish fluently.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Yes, our megalomaniac (and I could use more adjectives here..) Archibishop found the Patriarch weak and tried to take advantage of it... He likes to play with fire sometimes lol

Well said, that! Those Thracian sees are clearly under the jurisdiction of the Ecumenical Patriarch. By the way, did they ever settle that dispute? I'm not fully up on current events in the European Church.

-Akolouthos
Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 23:00
Originally posted by Akolouthos

Well said, that! Those Thracian sees are clearly under the jurisdiction of the Ecumenical Patriarch. By the way, did they ever settle that dispute? I'm not fully up on current events in the European Church.

-Akolouthos

Well, it's not only the Thracian sees, but also the ones in Macedonia and Epirus (they are called "New Lands"). They are under the juristiction of the Patriarchate and the administration of the Church of Greece. The problem arose when 3 Metropolites had to be elected there and the Greek Church tried to completely bypass the Patriarchate. Anyway, common sense prevailed at the end and the dispute was settled.

PS: Do you understand Greek Akolouthos? If yes, I can send you some links about the issue if you want.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 23:10

Well, it's not only the Thracian sees, but also the ones in Macedonia and Epirus (they are called "New Lands"). They are under the juristiction of the Patriarchate and the administration of the Church of Greece. The problem arose when 3 Metropolites had to be elected there and the Greek Church tried to completely bypass the Patriarchate. Anyway, common sense prevailed at the end and the dispute was settled.

I am glad common sense prevailed. That was all back in 2003-2004, right? I simply can't imagine what the Archbishop was thinking. It was always clear that the Greek Church was watching over those particular areas in the name of the Ecumenical Patriarch, who, for one reason or another, simply could not do so for years.

PS: Do you understand Greek Akolouthos? If yes, I can send you some links about the issue if you want.

Although you will find me quite orthodox/Orthodox (at least I pray, Lord willing, that you will), you will also, unfortunately, find me quite ill-versed in Greek. I wouldn't mind looking over the links anyway though; I can always look at the pictures. LOL God bless you Neoptolemos.

-Akolouthos
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 00:33

So why are you angry us? we are not doing something, Orthodox churchs(Russian, Greece) are not doing.(I am not sure If we have such sentence in english.)

We are trying to weaken Patriarch like, russian church and greece church. I think It is russian and greece church who is harming human rights of greeks at istanbul.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 05:42

So why are you angry us? we are not doing something, Orthodox churchs(Russian, Greece) are not doing.(I am not sure If we have such sentence in english.)

We are trying to weaken Patriarch like, russian church and greece church. I think It is russian and greece church who is harming human rights of greeks at istanbul.

And how, exactly, are they doing that Mortaza? The Russian and Greek churches have very little control over the human rights situation in Turkey--that is the province of the Turkish government.

The Russian and Greek churches do play at ecclesiastical politics, but they can hardly confiscate property in Istanbul. The issue Neoptolemos and I are talking about is completely separate. That said, even if it were not, it would not make the current situation in Turkey any less of a human rights issue for the turkish government; it would only mean that there were more culprits involved in the same crime.

-Akolouthos
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 09:26
I am talking about attacking political power of Patriarch.
The Chargemaster View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 13:38
Originally posted by bg_turk

I did not say the Patriarch should change his language, I simply said that Turkish should be one of the languages he uses. I was disappointed when I saw it missing on his official website, which had only a Greek and an English version. It is  not surprising then that Orthodox Turks do not accept his authority since obviously he is totally ignoring them.

Where in Turkey are living such people as ortodox turks? It`s interesting.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 23:25

majority of them is at greece. They helped Turkish independence war, but this doesnot help them much.

Now, They dont have to much people at Turkey. They dont become majority at any city, village or town. Most of them is newly convert.

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2006 at 00:57

You mean Orthodox of Turkish Origin?Their number should be really unimportant.Most Orthodox that came from Asia Minor after 1922 where Hellens,a small part Armenians and ,probably,Turks.

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456