Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Popes, Patriarchs, Turks and Religious Repression

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Popes, Patriarchs, Turks and Religious Repression
    Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 04:54
[QUOTE=JanusRook]
But as I understand it the Eastern Church has always been in a power struggle with the Emperor of Byzantium? The Ottoman merely took over that role as heirs-by-force of the Roman Empire, and all I see is the Turkish state taking the role after the Ottomans. Is that a good summary?[QUOTE]

well im no expert on East Roman history, i would not be suprised if this was the case. The ottomans used the church quite pragmatically; they kept the patriach close, didnt get involved in the religous side and (ottomon experts can fill in the detail here) made him responsable some what  for the greek(rum) millet. In short as long as he behaved he was intgrated into the ottomon system, though i know of one that was martyred.

What we see today is a deteriation from the 70's and i would link that with the conflict in cyprus. Every time there was trouble in cyprus, the greeks in istanbul were made to pay (for the suffering of turks in cyprus).

Edited by Leonidas - 28-Nov-2006 at 04:55
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 05:11
Originally posted by The Hidden Face

I wonder why the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Orthodoxy must be placed in Istanbul, where is a city of the people who are %99 percent Muslims. Once Ataturk tried to terminate it but didn't manage it because of the fact that the Western powers -especially England- wanted it to stay in Istanbul for some political reasons, which were quite understandable in the British view. But what do the Greeks who are truly faithful believers think of the existence of the Patriarchate in a muslim city? Wouldn't it be much more beautiful If the Patriarchate were placed in Athens, where is a glorious Greek city with full of human civilization from the deep past to the present.

The Ecumenical Patriarch is believed to be the successor to the apostle Andrew, who established the church in Apostolic times. The Patriarchate has been located in Constantinople since ancient times.

Furthermore, the Christian bishop is a sheperd, and linked to his see. If he were to abandon that see, he would be abandoning his flock. There are some precedents for Patriarchs of some of the other sees in exile (most notably Jerusalem after the Fourth Crusade), but it is definitely not an ideal situation.

As for moving to Greece, I doubt the Greek Archbishop would like that very much. The Church of Greece is autocephalous, and has recently been in conflict with the Patriarchate over some Thracian sees.

It seems that my post needs to be more clear. I was talking about the present time. And It should also be noted that the Turkish side claims that the modern day Patriarchate has been established for the orthodox minority of the Republic Of Turkey, not for an ecumenical dreaming.

The Turkish side can claim whatever is wants; history will bear out the truth.

The see of imperial Constantinople has been of Patriarchal status since the Second Ecumenical Council (Constantinople I) elevated it in 381 A.D. After the schism (1054-1204 A.D.)--when the Roman church broke away from the universal Church--the Patriarch assumed some of the Roman prerogatives, and became the spiritual leader of all Orthodox christians--the Ecumenical Patriarch. To claim that the modern Greeks have attempted to instill the Patriarchate with these virtues is ludicrous.

Wouldn't it be much more beautiful If the Patriarchate were placed in Athens, where is a glorious Greek city with full of human civilization from the deep past to the present.

Why Istanbul? A challenge for what? This must be called "politics" otherwise It would be an awfully childish thing.

So you wouldn't have a problem with someone in America persecuting Muslims and then saying, "Well, if you don't like it you can move back to the Middle East. This is a christian country."?

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 28-Nov-2006 at 05:13
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 14:42
From the evidence presented by Akolouthos, it seems like the Turkish government is quite driven to absolutely minimise the power and autonomy of the Constantinople Patriarchate. I understand that Turkey has been trying to rush through secularisation and I must ask our Turkish members as to how much difficulty other religious groups in Turkey face as compmared to that of the Patriarchate.

Regarding the relationship between the Patriarchate and the government in Constantinople/Istanbul, historically the East Roman Emperor appointed the Patriarch (though he had to be wary that his selection was acceptable to the flock). At times there was jostling between church and government for power, but never did the Byzantine Emperors try to reduce the church to anything as minimal as what Akolouthos claims the current Turkish government is attempting. When the Ottomans took over, the Patriarchate was officially recognised by the Sultans after an agreement between Patriarch Gennadios and Mehmet II. By this agreement the Patriarchate was responsible for the conduct of its flock and had input into its welfare.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 15:16
Hey Ako! Glad to see you around again.
I'm sorry, but that is absurd. The issue is not politics, the issue is religious freedom--the ability to freely practice one's religion

Most of the cases when government fools around with religion I think it is about politics, and I don't think this is an exception. I think there is an attitude in that region to think muslim = turk, christian = greek, this attitude is means that anti-greek attitudes are directed against the partiarchy as well.
Originally posted by BG Turk

Unlike many other countries where secularism is considered t be the strict seperation of church and state, in Turkey is viewed as the complete domination of the state over the mosque. The Turkish state is interfering with Islam all the time.

Thats true, but there is a difference between muslims interfering with Islam, and muslims interfering with Christianity (or Christians interfering with Islam). The government of turkey should not be interfering with the patriarchy. Actually only in a "secular" turkey is this possible, under the Ottoman Shariah the free practice of Christianity is a God given right (quite literally)
Originally posted by Mortaza

Also I should agree with them. Who would like someone who is important for 250 million christian. Specially inside of a muslim city.

I would love it. If I were ruling turkey I'd try to make the patriarchy of constantinople as strong as possible, because politics wise, this means your in possesstion of something very valuable for your potential enemies.
In the dieing days of the arab emirates of sind. The emirate of multan managed to survive much longer than its neighbours. This is because they were in possestion of a idol that was very valuable to the local hindus. The hindus, who would otherwise have been the Arabs enemies, wanted to ensure that the idol was safe and that meant ensuring that the arab government of multan was safe. When enemies armies came to the gates of multan the arabs would drag the idol to the walls of the city and threaten to smash it.
I think a strong and protected patriarchy would do more to reconcile greek-turkish differences that anything else.
I wonder why the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Orthodoxy must be placed in Istanbul, where is a city of the people who are %99 percent Muslims.

Because it has always been there. Just like the patriarchies in Alexandria and Damascus. I think a patriarchy in exile is a bad idea, it should stay in Istanbul.
Originally posted by Leonidas

well if Jerusalam become 99% jewish, does make the al asqua mosque less muslim? No. Despite politics and control, nothing can change the significance of that spot in the minds of muslims. Like wise nothing can change the significance of the patriach.

Well said.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 15:28
Originally posted by Omar Hashim

I think there is an attitude in that region to think muslim = turk, christian = greek, this attitude is means that anti-greek attitudes are directed against the partiarchy as well.

Well this attitude of equating the patriarchate with the Greeks is also partly fueled by the patriarchate itself. For example, I went to the website of this supposedly Turkish institution, only to find that it was actually in greek. The Muftuluk in Sofia would never be allowed to get away with a website entirely in Turkish.

Originally posted by BG Turk

The government of turkey should not be interfering with the patriarchy. Actually only in a "secular" turkey is this possible, under the Ottoman Shariah the free practice of Christianity is a God given right (quite literally)

I do not see many christians in Sharia countries.

This is because they were in possestion of a idol that was very valuable to the local hindus. The hindus, who would otherwise have been the Arabs enemies, wanted to ensure that the idol was safe and that meant ensuring thalbt the arab government of multan was safe. When enemies armies came to the gates of multan the arabs would drag the idol to the walls of the city and threaten to smash it.
I think a strong and protected patriarchy would do more to reconcile greek-turkish differences that anything else.

Are you by any chance suggesting that whenever things go wrong between Turkey and Greece, the Turkish government should threaten to "smash" the patriarchate to keep the Greeks at bay?

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 15:49

I heard that the Patriarch of Istanbul is not accepted as the leader of the Orthodox world. The Russian Orthodox church rejects this, the Assyrian Orthodox church has its own leader, so do the Copts and so on.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 16:02
Originally posted by Bulldog

I heard that the Patriarch of Istanbul is not accepted as the leader of the Orthodox world. The Russian Orthodox church rejects this, the Assyrian Orthodox church has its own leader, so do the Copts and so on.

It depends. The monophysite Christians reject the Patriarch as their spiritual leader from the time of the persecutions in Byzantine days.

The Russians may reject the Patriarch of Constantinople as head of their affairs in a practical sense. This dates from the mid 15th century when Byzantium was truly beyond saving and the Russians were learning to take charge of their own affairs.

But the Patriarch is still regarded as at the spiritual forefront of the Orthodox Christian world, even if he himself is not responsible for the actual administration of a particular see. This limitation of his administrative duties in no way diminishes the importance of the Patriarchate to Orthodox Christians.
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 18:08
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Originally posted by Leonidas

well if Jerusalam become 99% jewish, does make the al asqua mosque less muslim? No. Despite politics and control, nothing can change the significance of that spot in the minds of muslims. Like wise nothing can change the significance of the patriach.

Well said.

Important point raised by leonidas. Well spotted Omar.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 18:41
The government of turkey should not be interfering with the patriarchy. Actually only in a "secular" turkey is this possible, under the Ottoman Shariah the free practice of Christianity is a God given right (quite literally)
I do not see many christians in Sharia countries.

umm, why not? Since I was talking about the Ottomans, your not suggesting that there weren't any Christians in the ottoman empire are you?
Are you by any chance suggesting that whenever things go wrong between Turkey and Greece, the Turkish government should threaten to "smash" the patriarchate to keep the Greeks at bay?

EmbarrassedNo I don't mean that. But it appears that the turks are trying to smash it without a war anyway.
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 20:39
First of all I forgot to say this: I am more than glad to see Akolouthos in the forum again. Hug

Concerning the issue of the Patriarchate, In principle, I want all the people around the world to be happy. So I wish there was an untouched Ecumenical Patriarchate in the Holy City Constantinople, which would spread all beautiful things to the entire world. How much it would be fascinating, wouldn't it? But there's no holy city in Turkey for Greeks. Likewise there's no world for Al-qaida to convert entire world to Islam brutally, and no Central Asia for The Pan Turkists, for instance, to built up a monster-like Turkic super state. No, just because of the reality, which has always been unacceptable for daydreamers and romantics.

As long as the Ecumenical Patriarchate exists in Istanbul, Turkey harasses the Patriarchate due to some political reasons. And as long as Turkey exists, there will be no vatican-type state in Istanbul. So as a neutral person, I am considering this two undeniable facts, and giving you a simple and good-looking solution: Move it to a beaufiul Greek City in where the believers are able to be living peacefully, happily and proudly. What you have been doing is just challenging the Turkish State without any possible goal and then desperately saying to the world that Turkey is bad boy. In this aspect, yes, this is quite similar to the Jarusalem issue between Israel and Palestine, indeed. Palestinians, who have been doing almost nothing to improve their quality of life, and have been doing everything to provoke Israel. 

Istanbul isn't a holy city, as well as Jarusalem. No city is "holy". I can't even believe how much holy Constantinople and Hagia Sophia were for the Ottomans. It's probably due to my secular education. With a good secular educational system, the Greek believers could change their mind.

So you wouldn't have a problem with someone in America persecuting Muslims and then saying, "Well, if you don't like it you can move back to the Middle East. This is a christian country."?

I say to the Turkish community of Germany that nationalism and islamism committed by the Turks in Germany are -I am sorry to say-awful. They went to there to make some money, not to annoy native people. They should be integrated within the main community culturally and socially, If they are willing to be living in there as a resident. So It depends on which Muslims we are talking about, If the issue is the American MidEasterners living in the middle ages of Islam, yes, I would say that s/he should go back to where s/he came from. For him/her, and for society.
Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2006 at 00:10
Originally posted by The Hidden Face

But there's no holy city in Turkey for Greeks. Likewise there's no world for Al-qaida to convert entire world to Islam brutally, and no Central Asia for The Pan Turkists, for instance, to built up a monster-like Turkic super state. No, just because of the reality, which has always been unacceptable for daydreamers and romantics.

- Whether a city is holy or not is in peoples minds and hearts. For some it's Jerusalem, for some it's Mecca, for some others Constantiniple. It's not a matter of reality, but one of faith/belief. You are not the one to decide which city one considers as Holy.
- I don't know how many Greeks consider Constantinople a Holy City, but that doesn't matter much. The issue here is not the holiness of the City.

As long as the Ecumenical Patriarchate exists in Istanbul, Turkey harasses the Patriarchate due to some political reasons.
It's sad to consider this a fact; you set the standards too low for your country. Why does the Patriarchate always have to pay for those "political reasons"? Don't you think that the (now extinct) Greek minority in Istanbul has paid enough?

And as long as Turkey exists, there will be no vatican-type state in Istanbul.
That's a fact indeed. Neither Turkey will allow it, nor the Patriarchate asks for it. On an additional note: the Patriarch does NOT have any intention to assume the title of "head of state". He's not the Pope!

So as a neutral person, I am considering this two undeniable facts, and giving you a simple and good-looking solution: Move it to a beaufiul Greek City in where the believers are able to be living peacefully, happily and proudly.
And you call it a good-looking solution? It's really sad, and it's even more sad that this is coming from a person like you.

What you have been doing is just challenging the Turkish State without any possible goal and then desperately saying to the world that Turkey is bad boy.

Let's first identify the goal: The Patriarchate has been in Constantinople (now Istanbul) for nearly 2,000 years. Moreover, the Patriarch of Constantinople is considered the Ecumenical Patriarch for more than a thousand years (no country can change that, only the Eastern/Greek Orthodox Church can). Therefore, the goal is to keep the Patriarchate where it has been since its establishment.
How can you say that this is just challenging and provoking Turkey? All that the Patriarchate is asking for is:
- respect it's right to exist (as a legal entity)
- respect their religious rights
- respect their property rights
How challenging and provoking is that?!

And a final note: Once the Patriarchate in Constantinople was very strong; now it's very weak. Nevertheless, the way that the Turkish State treats them gives them strength, while thinking that it makes them weaker. Sometimes I think that what's happening is a blessing in disguise...

Edited by Neoptolemos - 29-Nov-2006 at 00:17
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2006 at 03:08
 I understand that Turkey has been trying to rush through secularisation and I must ask our Turkish members as to how much difficulty other religious groups in Turkey face as compmared to that of the Patriarchate.

well, I think Turkey goverment is not have any good relation with religions.

They are trying to totally control, Sunni Muslims. They have not good relations with unofficial sunni institutions. So They are trying to change  or at least control sunni islam. I can call this dangerous too.

They are just ignoring alevis.  They have good relation with jews.(At least, I am not aware a jew argument.)

In reality, They are trying to control christians too. Unlike sunnies, they have no power. Christians were protected by agreement. So their relation with christians are not fine. except orthodox turks.As I said before these turks are more nationalist than next turk, and they are controled by goverment.

Also Patriarch have another problem, he can and may effect other nations politics.So This make Turkey more hard.

I would love it. If I were ruling turkey I'd try to make the patriarchy of constantinople as strong as possible, because politics wise, this means your in possesstion of something very valuable for your potential enemies.
In the dieing days of the arab emirates of sind. The emirate of multan managed to survive much longer than its neighbours. This is because they were in possestion of a idol that was very valuable to the local hindus. The hindus, who would otherwise have been the Arabs enemies, wanted to ensure that the idol was safe and that meant ensuring that the arab government of multan was safe. When enemies armies came to the gates of multan the arabs would drag the idol to the walls of the city and threaten to smash it.

I have not idea about hindu issues, but when It comes to Turkey experience, It is totally different. We dont forget protecter of orthodox worlds.Russia. She did not make ottoman life any longer.

If Turkey is more powerful, Patriarch can be beneficial.. For now, It is not. I also should add, Turkey relation with orthodox are not a love story. Orthodox world is not opportunity but a danger for us.(Or  that is what I think)

It's sad to consider this a fact; you set the standards too low for your country. Why does the Patriarchate always have to pay for those "political reasons"? Don't you think that the (now extinct) Greek minority in Istanbul has paid enough?

Patriarchate itself is not problem, problem is his international power. 

It is a sad reality, we have another pope at our beatiful city, and sadly we should live with him.So weakining him is not a bad idea. These acts are not a religous based acts, but politic one.

when number of orthodox decreased 20-30 million, we can think about help him again.

Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2006 at 13:40
I don't see why the Turkish government would not want to encourage tourism from Othodox members around the world (and Christians in general) to both the Aya Sofya museum and the Patriarchate when you consider all the potential revenue from this tourism.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2006 at 13:49
I fail to see how the Patriarchate, even with status as a legal entity and the right to own a tiny patch of land, presents a credible threat to the Turkish state. And I agree that Turkey could make a lot of money from tourism out of the Patriarchate.
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2006 at 14:12
    I personally think that for the good or for the bad, the Patriarchate of Constantinople is moving closer and closer to it's way towards abolishment. Why don't the Greeks move it to Mt. Athos instead and declare that a new home for the Patriarch? Something similar happened during the Nicaean Empire days, why not today?

Edited by Theodore Felix - 29-Nov-2006 at 14:26
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2006 at 23:53
I fail to see how the Patriarchate, even with status as a legal entity and the right to own a tiny patch of land, presents a credible threat to the Turkish state. And I agree that Turkey could make a lot of money from tourism out of the Patriarchate.

Because you did not experienced what ottoman-turks experienced. Noone attacked your land, for the name of Christ and helping christians. Ottomans attacked because of his christian people.

I agree, now religion is not as much as political tool, like past, but It is still.

A tiny the Patriarchate of Constantinople wont be harmful for Turkey, but I am sure, aim of this patriarchete is not to stay tiny and powerless..

By the way, If there is reunion between catholics and orthodox, It is more dangerous for Turkey.If there would be such action, Turkey should try to stop it with empowering or even supporting the Patriarchate of Constantinople..

For now, this is not a danger.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2006 at 00:26
Originally posted by Constantine XI

I fail to see how the Patriarchate, even with status as a legal entity and the right to own a tiny patch of land, presents a credible threat to the Turkish state.
he isnt a threat, he is only a symbolic (not actual) head with no real power even in his own church.

Originally posted by Constantine XI

And I agree that Turkey could make a lot of money from tourism out of the Patriarchate.
i said something like that a while ago in another thread (i think with jazzSmile). This would be the rational (smart) thing to do, but this is all clouded by emotions not logic.

One mans threat is anothers opportunity

Edited by Leonidas - 30-Nov-2006 at 00:31
Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2006 at 01:02
Originally posted by Theodore Felix

I personally think that for the good or for the bad, the Patriarchate of Constantinople is moving closer and closer to it's way towards abolishment.
You think that Turkey will go that far? Hmm, that would be extremely interesting indeed!

Why don't the Greeks move it to Mt. Athos instead and declare that a new home for the Patriarch?
Because the Patriarcate of Constantinople has a very high religious and historical importance for Orthodoxy. No Patriarch (on his own will) would consider doing sth like this. Only way this can happen is if the Turkish state confiscates all their (remaining) properties and kicks them out!

By the way, If there is reunion between catholics and orthodox, It is more dangerous for Turkey.If there would be such action, Turkey should try to stop it with empowering or even supporting the Patriarchate of Constantinople..
Let's wait a few more hours; maybe the Pope is going to say sth important on this issue Wink

Edited by Neoptolemos - 30-Nov-2006 at 01:03
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2006 at 04:15
Neoptolemos;

If I were a religious Greek, I would say: "Ok. The conditions are clear enough. I accept that the Imperial Patriarcate and its glorious history were pretty much ended in the year 1453 anyway. And since we have been the defeated side, there's no point to keep dreaming imperial fantasies, what we need to do is to move the Head of Orthodoxy to a safer and historical place in Greece to make the ortodox community all around the world happy and peaceful."

I call it simple, but effective and constructive thinking, Neoptolemos.

My point is, yes, Turkey has shown her barbaric side many times regarding the issue. However, the responses of Greece and the patriarchate have also shown that there's a sadomasochistic relation between them. 

Edited by The Hidden Face - 30-Nov-2006 at 04:19
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2006 at 14:10
Even the thought of the movement of the Patriarchate shows historicall and spiritual ignorance.The Patriarchate of Constantinople cannot and will never move from Constantinople/Istanbul.The Patriarchate is there for almost 1.700 years,under the political rule of 2 great Empires.Even before the Patriarchs there were bishops and Archbishops.The very Church of Constantinople was founded by St.Andrew the Apostle.We are talking about a Christian existence and tradition in the City for almost 2.000 years.2.000 years!Spiritually,Constantinople/Istanbull is a sacred place for the Orthodox people,because the historicall Patriachate is there.

In other words,it's pure nonsense even to think of moving the Patriarchate from Constantinople.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ecumenical_Patriarchs_of_Constantinople

271 religious leaders,271........

Edited by Spartakus - 30-Nov-2006 at 14:13
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>