Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Islamic heritage in Europe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Islamic heritage in Europe
    Posted: 29-Feb-2008 at 18:54
Originally posted by pinguin

Originally posted by Leonardo

It was complete for the astronomical purposes (see Almagest).

Nope. Greeks just worked particular cases with cords. Not with sin, cos, tan and all the other functions. They didn't developed the theorical background and they didn't get into spherical trigonometry either.

Pinguin, the Greeks invented the theoretical approach to mathematics so it is an oxymoron to say they treated any mathematical subject without developing its "theoretical background" Smile

As I have already written, spherical trigonometry was known to the Greeks before the Arabs. Just a few names of Greek mathematicians who treated this subject (of course only for astronomical purposes): Autolycus of Pytane, Theodosius of Bithynia, Menelaus of Alexandria, and of course Ptolemy. If you don't trust me, read the first "book" of the Almagest.

Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Feb-2008 at 18:56

For sure you have never read the Almagest ... There is no essential difference between a system of trigonometry based on the chords and a system based on the sine function. All other goniometric functions can be derived fron the chord function or from the sine function. In a time which did not know calculus there was no real superiority of the sine system on the chord system and, as  I have already said, Ptolemy could prove all his triogonometrical theorems useful for his astronomical purposes using only the chords (see first "book" of the Almagest).

You are wrong too when you say that the work of Diophantus was never translated in Arabic language. Qusta ibn Luqa, a christian fron Baalbeck, translated it from Greek in Arabic in the second half of the ninth century AD. A copy dating back to 1198 AD of this ancient translation was found in 1932 AD in Mashhad (Khorasan, Iran). This copy contained four of the seven lost "books" of the Arithmetica of "Diyufantus".

BTW I'm a Maths and Physics teacher Smile ...

Using that logic you can easily say that all the work in Calculus of Newton and Leibtniz are just a copy of Archimedes mathematical techniques. You can also claim that the works of George Boole in Mathematical Logic is just a re-writing of Aristhotle "Logic".

What I believe -and sorry for going personal- is that you want to downplay the contributions of the Mathematicians comming from the Muslim World at the Middle Ages.
I just suggest to take a closer look to genious like Al-Hazen and judge them by theirs personal merits.

I believe the fact that Diophantus, Ptolmey or Archimedes were genious don't take a bit to the creativity of the Muslim mathematicians, Isaac Newton or Einstein :)

Simply you have not understood my point(s), please read again my posts.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 01:28

Pinguin, the Greeks invented the theoretical approach to mathematics so it is an oxymoron to say they treated any mathematical subject without developing its "theoretical background" Smile

I don't agree. The fact Euclides developed geometry from basic axioms it doesn't mean that the Elements contains Set theory, Group algebra and calculus of probability.
What I tried to say is that Ptolmey and Diaphantus made the first inroads into trigonometry and algebra, but who really developed it fully were Muslim mathematicians.

Why you try to deny Muslim achievements? Those were brillian people, genious indeed. Or you are sugesting Greeks were more intelligent than Middle Ages Muslims?

We should stop Greekmania, and see the history in a more ballanced maner.

As I have already written, spherical trigonometry was known to the Greeks before the Arabs. Just a few names of Greek mathematicians who treated this subject (of course only for astronomical purposes): Autolycus of Pytane, Theodosius of Bithynia, Menelaus of Alexandria, and of course Ptolemy. If you don't trust me, read the first "book" of the Almagest.

I trust you. What I don't agree is in your conclusions.

For instance, let's check Abu Al-Wafa, Persian mathematician. Tell me if what is said about him is wrong:

Abul Wafa (Persian: ابوالوفا محمد بوژگانی - extended name: Abū al-Wafāʾ Muḥammad ibn Muḥammad ibn Yaḥyā ibn Ismāʿīl ibn al-ʿAbbās al-Būzjānī) (940 997/8) was a Persian mathematician and astronomer. He was born in Buzhgan, Nishapur in Iran.

In 959 AD, he moved to Iraq. He studied mathematics and worked principally in the field of trigonometry. He wrote a number of books, most of which no longer exist. He also studied the movements of the moon. The Abul Wfa crater on the moon is named for him.

And these are his original achievements. Tell me if they were discovered by Ptolmey first.

He established the trigonometric identities:
sin(a + b) = sin(a)cos(b) + cos(a)sin(b)
cos(2a) = 1 − 2sin2(a)
sin(2a) = 2sin(a)cos(a)

and discovered the sine formula for spherical geometry (which looks similar to the law of sines):

Well, tell me if this is wrong. I would like to hear your oppinion.

Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 08:30

Why you try to deny Muslim achievements? Those were brillian people, genious indeed. Or you are sugesting Greeks were more intelligent than Middle Ages Muslims?

We should stop Greekmania, and see the history in a more ballanced maner.

Pinguin, please, before writing this BS read again my posts

I trust you. What I don't agree is in your conclusions.

For instance, let's check Abu Al-Wafa, Persian mathematician. Tell me if what is said about him is wrong:

Abul Wafa (Persian: ابوالوفا محمد بوژگانی - extended name: Abū al-Wafāʾ Muḥammad ibn Muḥammad ibn Yaḥyā ibn Ismāʿīl ibn al-ʿAbbās al-Būzjānī) (940 997/8) was a Persian mathematician and astronomer. He was born in Buzhgan, Nishapur in Iran.

In 959 AD, he moved to Iraq. He studied mathematics and worked principally in the field of trigonometry. He wrote a number of books, most of which no longer exist. He also studied the movements of the moon. The Abul Wfa crater on the moon is named for him.

And these are his original achievements. Tell me if they were discovered by Ptolmey first.

He established the trigonometric identities:
sin(a + b) = sin(a)cos(b) + cos(a)sin(b)
cos(2a) = 1 − 2sin2(a)
sin(2a) = 2sin(a)cos(a)

and discovered the sine formula for spherical geometry (which looks similar to the law of sines):

Well, tell me if this is wrong. I would like to hear your oppinion.

I know you'll not like my answer but, yes, Ptolemy  knew the geometrical theorems, based on chords of course, corresponding to those identities Smile 
If you don't trust me, read Olaf Pedersen "A survey of the Almagest" (particularly chapter 3, "Ptolemy as a mathematician") a very insighfull, detailed  and easily readable description of the main work of Ptolemy using a modern notation.

I suggest you to read also page 52 and following ("Trigonometry and Spherical Geometry") of the already cited book of Russo:

Edited by Leonardo - 01-Mar-2008 at 08:31
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 13:24
Interesting. You are going to make me buy a classical book. I haven't access here to classics like Plolmey's almagest and books like Physic's or aristotle are quite expensive. Literature classics are cheap, but this math jews are another matter.

Anyways, what is in your oppinion the contribution of Muslims in trigonometry, besides converting the chords into sins? I know that Omar Khayyam was brilliant, for instance.

These are certain comments about Muslim mathematicians:

Importance

--------------------------
J. J. O'Conner and E. F. Robertson wrote in the MacTutor History of Mathematics archive:

"Recent research paints a new picture of the debt that we owe to Islamic mathematics. Certainly many of the ideas which were previously thought to have been brilliant new conceptions due to European mathematicians of the 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries are now known to have been developed by Arabic/Islamic mathematicians around four centuries earlier. In many respects, the mathematics studied today is far closer in style to that of Islamic mathematics than to that of Greek mathematics."

R. Rashed wrote in The development of Arabic mathematics: between arithmetic and algebra:

"Al-Khwarizmi's successors undertook a systematic application of arithmetic to algebra, algebra to arithmetic, both to trigonometry, algebra to the Euclidean theory of numbers, algebra to geometry, and geometry to algebra. This was how the creation of polynomial algebra, combinatorial analysis, numerical analysis, the numerical solution of equations, the new elementary theory of numbers, and the geometric construction of equations arose."

----------------------------

As you can see, the style of mathematics changed from the geometrical based approach between Greeks to the algebra based style with Arabs.
The list of some Muslims mathematicians and its merits are the following. Try to deny them one by one, please. Perhaps you are right and I am wrong, but I doubt it.

Let's go topic by topic. In this post le's us analyse Algebra.

-----

There are three theories about the origins of Arabic Algebra. The first emphasizes Hindu influence, the second emphasizes Mesopotamian or Persian-Syriac influence and the third emphasizes Greek influence. Many scholars believe that it is the result of a combination of all three sources.

Throughout their time in power, before the fall of Islamic civilization, the Arabs used a fully rhetorical algebra, where sometimes even the numbers were spelled out in words. The Arabs would eventually replace spelled out numbers (eg. twenty-two) with Arabic numerals, but the Arabs never adopted or developed a syncopated or symbolic algebra.

The Muslim Persian mathematician Muhammad ibn Mūsā al-khwārizmī was a faculty member of the "House of Wisdom" (Bait al-hikma) in Baghdad, which was established by Al-Mamun. Al-Khwarizmi, who died around 850 A.D., wrote more than half a dozen mathematical and astronomical works; some of which were based on the Indian Sindhind. One of al-Khwarizmi's most famous books is entitled Al-jabr wa'l muqabalah or The Compendious Book on Calculation by Completion and Balancing, and it gives an exhaustive account of solving polynomials up to the second degree.

Al-Jabr is divided into six chapters, each of which deals with a different type of formula. The first chapter of Al-Jabr deals with equations whose squares equal its roots (ax = bx), the second chapter deals with squares equal to number (ax = c), the third chapter deals with roots equal to a number (bx = c), the fourth chapter deals with squares and roots equal a number (ax + bx = c), the fifth chapter deals with squares and number equal roots (ax + c = bx), and the sixth and final chapter deals with roots and number equal to squares (bx + c = ax).

'Abd al-Hamid ibn-Turk authored a manuscript entitled Logical Necessities in Mixed Equations, which is very similar to al-Khwarzimi's Al-Jabr and was published at around the same time as, or even possibly earlier than, Al-Jabr. The manuscript gives the exact same geometric demonstration as is found in Al-Jabr, and in one case the same example as found in Al-Jabr, and even goes beyond Al-Jabr by giving a geometric proof that if the determinant is negative then the quadratic equation has no solution. The similarity between these two works has led some historians to conclude that Arabic algebra may have been well developed by the time of al-Khwarizmi and 'Abd al-Hamid.

Al-Karkhi was the successor of Abu'l-Wefa and he was the first to discover the solution to equations of the form ax2n + bxn = c. Al-Karkhi only considered positive roots.

Omar Khayym (c. 1050-1123) wrote a book on Algebra that went beyond Al-Jabr to include equations of the third degree. Omar Khayym provided both arithmetic and geometric solutions for quadratic equations, but he only gave geometric solutions for general cubic equations since he mistakenly believed that arithmetic solutions were impossible. His method of solving cubic equations by using intersecting conics had been used by Menaechmus, Archimedes, and Alhazen, but Omar Khayym generalized the method to cover all cubic equations with positive roots. He only considered positive roots and he did not go past the third degree. He also saw a strong relationship between Geometry and Algebra.

In the 12th century, Sharaf al-Din al-Tusi found algebraic and numerical solutions to cubic equations and was the first to discover the derivative of cubic polynomials.

J. J. O'Conner and E. F. Robertson wrote in the MacTutor History of Mathematics archive:

"Perhaps one of the most significant advances made by Arabic mathematics began at this time with the work of al-Khwarizmi, namely the beginnings of algebra. It is important to understand just how significant this new idea was. It was a revolutionary move away from the Greek concept of mathematics which was essentially geometry. Algebra was a unifying theory which allowed rational numbers, irrational numbers, geometrical magnitudes, etc., to all be treated as "algebraic objects". It gave mathematics a whole new development path so much broader in concept to that which had existed before, and provided a vehicle for future development of the subject. Another important aspect of the introduction of algebraic ideas was that it allowed mathematics to be applied to itself in a way which had not happened before."

Abū al-Hasan ibn Alī al-Qalasādī (1412-1482) was the last major medieval Arab algebraist, who made the first attempt at creating an algebraic notation since Ibn al-Banna two centuries earlier, who was himself the first to make such an attempt since Diophantus and Brahmagupta in ancient times. The syncopated notations of his predecessors, however, lacked symbols for mathematical operations. Al-Qalasadi's algebraic notation was the first to have symbols for these functions and was thus "the first steps toward the introduction of algebraic symbolism." He represented mathematical symbols using characters from the Arabic alphabet

-----------------------

As you can see the solution of the second degree equation, plus the methodical exploration of solutions for higher degrees, comes from them. Besides, the beginning of algebraic notations, and the numerical solutions to cubic equations using derivatives.

I bet it is not too bad, considering that Diophantus only worked with integers. Wink

Edited by pinguin - 01-Mar-2008 at 13:29
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123