Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Europeans Were 1st Americans? BBC 2 Special

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Europeans Were 1st Americans? BBC 2 Special
    Posted: 15-Mar-2007 at 13:40
The thing is that they most likely would have left their genetic markers in the areas they pasted, but Haplogroup X isn't found in central and east asia. On top of that, the population of Natives with X would be swapped, it'd be more numerous in the pacific west instead of the East.
Also these people probably would have picked up gene's on their way there.
This gene is coming from a Isolated population in Europe from what I understand.They are said to have made it to the Americas thousands of years before migrations started through the Bering Straight. They later mixed with those populations that came over.
here's an Article about it, and a paragraph from it about the other migrations. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/htmlContent.jhtml?html=/archive/2000/02/19/wus19.html
A second group - including the Blackfoot, Iroquois, and other tribes from Minnesota, Michigan, Ontario, and Massachusetts - was descended from the Jomon, the prehistoric people of Japan. The Inuit appear to be a later branch from that same Jomon trunk. Tribal groups who lived down the eastern seaboard into Florida share this origin, according to prof Brace. Another group, originating in China and including the Athabascan-speaking people of the Yukon drainage of Alaska and north-west Canada, spread as far south as Arizona and northern Mexico.
These show that multiples peoples came in and have their genetics in far greater numbers in certain areas. Just like the X is mostly found in greater numbers in the North east. Though because the later populations were so numerous, todays highest level of the DNA of today is 25%. So if this wasn't a isolated people from Europe, that'd mean they'd share more common DNA of the people in Europe today or from any toher people they came across. But the next people these Solutreans came across were later migrations. lol Hope I didn't confuse you.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2007 at 18:57

That's not difficult to explain either. If they were cornered into the East coast, it just could mean they suffered a second wave of immigrants from Asia. That does not prove they came from Europe directly at all.

Today frequencies in Asia does not mean much. What is important is how things were by the time Natives arrived to the Americas, not today were Mongolioid people are dominant in Asia. Ainu populations of Japan,  Indonesians and Polynesians, for instance, are remanents of very ancient Asian populations that were initially non-mongoloid.

Personally, I don't believe the thesis people entered directly from Europe in the ace age. I can accept the Bering immigrants were diverse, though.

Pinguin

Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2007 at 20:59
That's not difficult to explain either. If they were cornered into the East coast, it just could mean they suffered a second wave of immigrants from Asia. That does not prove they came from Europe directly at all.
Their migration would have left their mark on the way there. I think it would have actually been more dangerous to cross the continent and leave their food supply, rather then going over a ocean with a ice sheet that can act as land and offer the food they are familiar with hunting and fishing.
If X was found in central asia and east asia, then it'd be possible. Migrations weren't the entire population constantly picking up and moving as they went.
Today frequencies in Asia does not mean much.
Who says? If it didn't mean much then we couldn't track migrations of men and understand our ancestry. It means a whole lot.
Ainu populations of Japan,  Indonesians and Polynesians, for instance, are remanents of very ancient Asian populations that were initially non-mongoloid.
But they still have their genetic markers and thats why we know they are their decendants.
Personally, I don't believe the thesis people entered directly from Europe in the ace age. I can accept the Bering immigrants were diverse, though.
The ice sheet at this time from what I understand extended from Southern France, where the Solutreans are from, to the North East in North America. The Polynesians crossed a vast ocean using simple navigation, they even used their feet to tell where land is, I kid you not! But the Solutreans would have it easy compared to them. Their main food sources are right their, they have a huge ice sheet that offers them simple navigation and a place to land every once in awhile. It was probably their search of food during the ice age that brought them to North America. They might have just been following their stomaches, going after their familiar food sources.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2007 at 23:19
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

.. The ice sheet at this time from what I understand extended from Southern France, where the Solutreans are from, to the North East in North America. The Polynesians crossed a vast ocean using simple navigation, they even used their feet to tell where land is, I kid you not! But the Solutreans would have it easy compared to them. Their main food sources are right their, they have a huge ice sheet that offers them simple navigation and a place to land every once in awhile. It was probably their search of food during the ice age that brought them to North America. They might have just been following their stomaches, going after their familiar food sources.

Hey! Hold it a second. Do you mean they crossed over a frozen sea by walking? Amazing! I didn't realized that was what you mean it. If that the case, I don't know.

In the case of Polynesians, I believe you are dead wrong. Austronesians, including Indonesians and Polynesians, part specially the later, were the most advanced sailors of ancient times, up to the Age of Discovery. Not Phoenicians, Greeks, Romans or Arabs even approached theirs sailing skills for most history. Polynesians not only have the catamaran, that is really a Formula One racing car of the seas, but have empirical but very advanced techniques of orientation no other people had. You can't say just because the Polynesians did something other could. Because nobody else had the skills of Polynesians up to the 15th century.

Pinguin

Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2007 at 23:48
[quote] Boats was the man mode of transpotation. I think people just walking over would die and possibly get lost. But they could land on the sheet if needed, it was pretty much like a new land.
I never put down the Polynesians. Infact their sailing skills amaze me like the one I described. I ment simple in the way they use their limbs to "detect" land. Maybe I should've chosen a better word.

Edited by SearchAndDestroy - 15-Mar-2007 at 23:48
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2007 at 23:59
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

[quote] Boats was the man mode of transpotation. I think people just walking over would die and possibly get lost. But they could land on the sheet if needed, it was pretty much like a new land.
I never put down the Polynesians. Infact their sailing skills amaze me like the one I described. I ment simple in the way they use their limbs to "detect" land. Maybe I should've chosen a better word.

Yes, I agree with you on Polynesians. In the case of boats landing in the sheet of Ice, I never though of that. It may be possible actually.

I don't know if you knew, there is a theory that say in the Small Ice Age (around the end of the Middle Age), the Inuits reached Irland and Scotland in a quite frozen sea? Who knows?

If people of long time ago had the skill of the Inuits unique to survive in cold weather and had kayaks like them, perhaps there is a chance they did. We just need something to prove it: solid evidence.

Genetics just show a probably link, which point in that direction (but that could have alternative explaination), but you need to corroborate it with archaeological findings that doesn't exist so far.

Pinguin

Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 00:09
To me it shows that people will go great lengths to explore. Thats why these migration theories fascinate me so much. I believe it was said that they had some of the same tools as the inuits. Atleast similar ones. So like the inuits, they learned techniques to survive the harsh conditions. I believe at this time most of Europe was glacial.
The theory of inuits making it to Scotland is interesting. I think it would be possible as the Arctic ice would reach that far south during the ice age. Atleast the winter months.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 00:18
Yes. But remember that the idea Inuits reached Scotland (or Ireland) is just a theory, backed up by the fact is mentioned in the bio of Columbus by his son Fernando. I believe it is possible, although not proven for sure.

You can find it in here. A very controversial book that uses hyperdiffusionism the other way around. It is called "The American Discovery of Europe" Big%20smile

The%20American%20Discovery%20of%20Europe

Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 00:24
I read the first page of that book, seems very interesting. Wonder if they left any genetic marks their. Said a man and a women, so if they weren't killed and had children, maybe they could have left a mark.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 00:25
Originally posted by pinguin

The%20American%20Discovery%20of%20Europe 

LOL

tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 05:42
Do you mean the X which is found in today Northeast American is only found in Solutreans , but not other European, no matter today or middle age or iced age.But I tihnk the key is can we find X from Skeleton of American and Europe dating back to Iced age?
leung
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 11:02
X is found in Europeans today. But not in high numbers and I'm guessing the reason behind that is because there were so many migrations. The Solutreans were an isolated people in Europe, I believe it's said alot of people were during the Ice Ages.
So think of it this way, without any outside influence, their gene's would be pure at that time. Means they didn't interact with any other peoples. Then this gene without any other influences winds up in the Americas and is found strongest in areas that you'd expect the Solutreans to arrive from. If the Solutreans went eastward, they'd be leaving their primary food source, and they'd end up going through other people picking up genetics. Most of all they probably settle alot of areas on the way. Being 30000-15000 bc in a Ice Age, I have my doubts that they'd make it to far east. Europe would have been a touch trek alone. Going over sea they'd have a simple navigation to follow, it'd be quicker, and if need be they can move on top of the ice sheet.
Boreasi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Boreasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 19:37
There were these so-called Solutreans - that were able to survive ice-time, somewhere in northern Europe. In what they call a "biotic refugia".

We still do not know where this "refugia" laid, but the tips are going towards the shores of Biscay.

It is suposed that these people are responsible for the first population of Europe and northern Eurasia. They think that their roots are "Cro-Magnon" and their descendants the first "modern men" to find Europe.

Wether that make them "Caucasians" or not I do not know, - but it was one of the initial points of the "refugia"-theory that it would explain the circumstances necessary to originate the first "white" populations.

It is said that the oldest inhabitants of east-coast America used ocher-red, just like the first inhabitants of the North Sea and the Baltics. Moreover, their tools, pottery and housing kept developing in parallell periods and in a similar type.  In this context the "Viking-houses of New Foundland" would be one of the last (younger) ones - in a row of old connections across the North Atlantic.

From the medival chronicles of Europe we hear about a "Sea-kingdom of Norway" who had relatives (and/or "subjects") on all the islands of the North Atlantic, as well as the east-coast of North-America, as far south as todays Virginia and Chesapeak Bay.

The first boat-cultures were still present on the east-coast of North America when Colombus were arriving. But at that point they were a diminishing culture, since the Portuguese had already plundered and taken posession of Greenland and Labrador - and thus started a long-term explotation of the Norse popuations of North-East America. It is said that the name "Labradore" simply reflects the Portuguese view of this new land, as a suplier of white slaves. Apparently they were known as good and strong workers - and thus valuable a pirating trade that seem to estuinguished the Norse populations on Greenland around 1376-77.

Later the raid for slaves would have reached the Norse communities in  "Helluland", "Eldland", "Markland" and "Vinland" - that later became "Labradores", "Corte Realis Land", "Norhumbega"  and "Florida". Later, as the English fleet started to rule the waves and thus the American east-coast. By 1521 Sir Raleigh could name the old Norse "Vinland The Good" to "Virginia" - in favour of the English Queen. Luckily the revenging armada of Spain and Portugal would fail to beat the English Navy - and thus the English take-over of east-coast America.

But by then the old tracks and trails - from the ancient Norse populations and the Norse trading-routes across the Atlantic - were already long gone.

When we finally get to learn about them it is from American archaeologists that excavates their old habitats, tools and trade-objects - besides and inbetween the Solutrean artefacts and the red ochre from Europes upper stone-age...

When we fianlly get to know that the haplogroup Rb1 are shared between NA Indians and Scandinavians we should not be that surprised. The North American Indians can well be a blend of paleolithic sailors from Europe and the indigenous indians of Central-America.

Edited by Boreasi - 21-Apr-2007 at 19:46
Be good or be gone.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 23:21
Originally posted by Boreasi

....When we fianlly get to know that the haplogroup Rb1 are shared between NA Indians and Scandinavians we should not be that surprised. The North American Indians can well be a blend of paleolithic sailors from Europe and the indigenous indians of Central-America.

That would be a surprise for me. Scandinavians hardly mixed in those times. Even in the Inuit populations that were in contact with the Norses circa 1000 A.D., there are no remain of ancient intermarriage. Why they wouldn't blend with North American Indians and not with Inuits?

Boreasi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Boreasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 21:11
Perhaps the North American Indian got their "Scandinavian" Rb1 by blood-transfusion?
Be good or be gone.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 23:27
Not necessarily. North American Indians and White settlers have been intermarrying for more than 400 years. You find LOT of Amerindian genes in the White population (more than in the Black population), and almost all Natives of the East coast of the U.S. have lot of admixture, and some of them are genetically Whites.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567