Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prove your god's existence.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prove your god's existence.
    Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 11:28
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

"
It depends on one's definition of atheism (the broader one, or the dogmatic one). The problem with the difference in the definitions is that one includes agnostics, while the other does not. When I talk of natural laws, I mean, simply, being good to your fellow man. This has nothing to do with religion. Man has always been good to its fellow man ever since its existence.

I have posted the two top definitions for athiesm and both state a denial of the existence of a god. if you want I will give you the two top definition's for agnostic
Originally posted by Dictionary

a. One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God.
b. One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism.
2. One who is doubtful or noncommittal about something.

I think the difference is pretty clear.....why should we be good to our fellow man? (I agree with you and am merely making a point) and for that matter who's definition of good? I assume you are a humanist Barbarossa? I am not for the simple reason that contrary to your opinion man has been cruel to it's fellow man and otherwise selfish and indifferent. the very history that you and I study and discuss in this forum is full of war and bloodshed as well as horrific and pointlessly cruel executions and kings living in palaces full of gold and baubles paid for by peasants who consequently can't even afford enough food to meet basic dietary requirements. I am not denying the existence of mercy, love and kindness in mankind, however it is clearly incorrect to say that:" Man has always been good to its fellow man".

I do not think you understand my point. What i mean is that theism may have a moral code, but a good moral code is not confined to theism. Therefore, a theist can never assume that they have a full monopoly on morals. What I mean is, that you do not have to go to any religious idealogy to have good morals.

I do not think you understand my point. I was referring to moral codes not morals period. a thiest does have a monopoly on moral codes good or bad because by your own admission Aethiesm has no moral codes and Agnostics by definition can have none. this only leaves thiesm which does possess (and can) moral codes and so is the only group to have any, giving it a monopoly. Finaly I agree that you don't need to be religous to have good morales (but you do need to be to justify them).

I agree with the first part of your quote, but the second part is grossly inaccurate with its last part.

I was making a point, though I believe MOST Athiests (and many other people too) subconsciusly choose morals that are conveniant to them alongside ones which are two obvius to deny. there are of course exceptions as I imagine your qoute was making a similar point or do you believe that all Christians do good because they are cowards.....I thought not.
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 21:34
Praetor, I misunderstood your argument (and you posted this before me). I have seen some religious types yell about how since atheists and agnostics have no strict moral code, they cannot truly be moral.

As per the "natural laws" I in no way mean that man has ALWAYS been good to its fellow man, I however mean that being good to your fellow man is a basic moral that most atheists/agnostics believe in. Sure, many Christian morals are just basics also (but some can be a bit scary at time), but most of the basic morals are found in almost every single belief system. I guess you could call my beliefs "humanistic" in a sense, since I believe that many moral values are natural to man (evidenced by the commonality of culture's moral values).

As for the definitions of agnostic, the first one works for perfectly me if you take replace "impossible" with "currently unknown." However, my justification for the lumping together of the atheist and agnostic beliefs is by the broad definition of "not a belief in a higher power." Since agnostics do not have a belief in a higher power, by this definition of atheism, and from what I have come across this definition only are included in this very broad definition of atheism. Besides, I think it is more what a person believes than whether they call themselves "atheist", "agnostic", "humanist", or whatever human term is available.

Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 10:37

Man has always been good to its fellow man ever since its existence.

As per the "natural laws" I in no way mean that man has ALWAYS been good to its fellow man

I don't see any other way of interpretting what you said. May I also point out that there is a difference between a lack of a belief in a higher power, and a belief that there isn't one. As you have brought this up one more than one occasion, which Christian morals do you find "scary"?
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 15:24
Well, the thing I said I sort of said wrong. What I meant to say is "Ever since the dawn of man, the characteristic of kindness has always been active." This in no way means that "men never have done horrible things to each other."

As per the Christian morals, I would say many of the Old Testament morals such as the "chosen people", the punishments for adultery, homosexuality, fornication, etc. Also some of the stories of the Old Testament God whom commanded the Israelites to "show no mercy" to their enemies, the "slave must obey his master" verse, the "a woman can never teach a man" verse, etc.

Huncuk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Huncuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2007 at 13:40
Number PHI proves the Tenri(God) ı think =)
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 04:43
Number PHI proves the Tenri(God) ı think =)

What a pity that Phi is a letter.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 05:40
I'm not sure anyone has any clue what he's on about. Confused
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2007 at 08:53
'Can we prove that God exists' is a different question to 'Does God exist'. The answer to the former is no, we cannot prove God's existence -or anything for that matter- in a final absolute sense.
Now, the common method in attempting to prove/disprove God is Scientific Research and Method. This is undertaken by observing, repeating and measuring. Although, supernatural or non-material (thought, morality.etc) concepts cannot be analysed or studied by Scientific Research as they are non-repeatble, observable or measurable - I mean, you can't definatively measure morality. Therefore it is humanly impossible to come to an absolute conclusion on whether or not God exists. Belief or disbelief are based on evidence or lack of evidence as opposed to on proof.

I'll conclude by posing three questions for you to consider:
1)How did the universe begin?
2)How can the universe be so complex yet perfectly ordered, in order for everything to exist?
3)Why do all cultures hold to objective moral values?

Regards,

- Knights -
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2007 at 13:16
Originally posted by Knights

'

I'll conclude by posing three questions for you to consider:
1)How did the universe begin?
2)How can the universe be so complex yet perfectly ordered, in order for everything to exist?
3)Why do all cultures hold to objective moral values?

Regards,

- Knights -

1. The Big bang, or god(s) sneezed and out spat the universe!
2. chance, magic, the work of god(s), who knows?
3. don't know
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 18:59
"Knowledge of what is does not open the door directly to what should be. If one asks the whence derives the authority of fundamental ends, since they cannot be stated and justifed merely by reason, one can only answer: they exist in a healthy society as p owerful traditions, which act upon the conduct and aspirations and judgements of the individuals; they are there, that is, as something living, without its being necessary to find justification for their existence. They come into being not through demonst ration but through revelation, through the medium of powerful personalities. One must not attempt to justify them, but rather to sense their nature simply and clearly."

- Albert Einstein

Join us.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567