Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Post-Roman British Kingdoms

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Most influencial post-Roman kingdoms of Britain (up to 1066)?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [10.71%]
0 [0.00%]
12 [42.86%]
4 [14.29%]
1 [3.57%]
1 [3.57%]
1 [3.57%]
3 [10.71%]
1 [3.57%]
2 [7.14%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
pytheas View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pytheas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post-Roman British Kingdoms
    Posted: 19-Dec-2004 at 22:25
There were many interesting cultures that flourished after the Romans left the British to their own fates.  The Anlges, Saxons, Jutes, and Friscans began settling in the south and east, while the Irish began seizing lands in the west, both in modern-day Scotland, Wales, and Cornwall.  While later the Vikings began settling in the north and northeast, as well as Ireland, the Orkneys, etc.  While the Germanic groups infiltrated the east and Irish Celts percolated into the west, many Romano-Britons either fled west into the Welsh mountains and Cornwall, north into the middle uplands, or across the Channel into present-day Brittany, or farther afield to northwestern Spain--a land known as Gallicia.  Above is a fairly evenly distributed list of players in the period in question.  I have my own favorites, but am curious as to what others might have to say.  Please select one of the above and offer supporting comments below.  There are a bunch of other splinter subjects that could easily arise from this poll...
Truth is a variant based upon perception. Ignorance is derived from a lack of insight into others' perspectives.
pytheas View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote pytheas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2004 at 11:56
I'm assuming that this silence signals that none of you are familiar with this period in history....
Truth is a variant based upon perception. Ignorance is derived from a lack of insight into others' perspectives.
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2004 at 12:35
Not that,just got really busy all of a sudden and haven't had time to think let alone reply properly. I promise to get to it soon.
Vamun Tianshu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Vamun Tianshu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2004 at 21:47
I say the scots,since they did establish their own culture up to that point.The Vikings would be a step back,and the Anglican Church was also influental.

In Honor
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2004 at 17:47
The Picts were a force to be reckoned with from even before Roman times. They were constantly at war with neighboring nations and usually came out on top. The kingdom of Scotland (Alba) was their creation. They made even the Saxons shake in their boots.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 13:18
The Irish definantly. They saved classical culture in britain and were responsible for civilising the nobility of the barbarian german invaders.
Kshtriya View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Kshtriya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2005 at 12:37
I'm surprised that no one voted for the Saxons, who drove out the vikings and spoke the first version of English, not to mention they gave the name 'England' to that bit of land between Wales and Scotland
Men grow tired of love, sleep and food before they grow tired of war
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2005 at 19:32

Picts are the the Pictones, the celts from poitier France (Gaul) than migrated to britannia.

Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2005 at 19:39

I'm surprised that no one voted for the Saxons, who drove out the vikings and spoke the first version of English, not to mention they gave the name 'England' to that bit of land between Wales and Scotland

This certainly isn't case, it is the angle that gave England her name. Angle land (Angleterre in french) later became England.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2005 at 20:34
Hmm, they called themselves the Engel (?) all the time, Angle is merely the French-Latin name, that was introduced after 1066, with the fetish for calling themselves Anglo-Saxons not kicking in untill the 1700s or 1800s or so IIRC.
So the name naver really changed, it was Engle all along, you'll note that in most Germanic languages, the Engel/Engle root prevails.
Arrrgh!!"
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2005 at 04:07

I'd go for the Anglo-Saxons in general. The Romans, Romano British and ancient Briton were all highly aristicratic societies, where as the Anglo-Saxons more egalitarian.

When the Normans arrived a highly aristocratic people too, the legacy the Anglo-Saxons left was too strong and the egalitarian heritage couldn't be quashed.

The early history of England became, strong ruler (William I/Henry I/Edward I) = absolute monarch, weak ruler = ruler by consent. )John (Magna Carta), (Henry III (Simon de Montford) ect, Matilda and Jane Grey (kicked out).

This carried on till Edward III who accepted rule by consent and only two more monarchs tried to rule alone, Charles I (behead) and James II (sacked).

Most other European countries had absolute monarchs till the 19th century. Russia 20th. England had got rid of there's by the 14th. That's Anglo-Saxon influence and probably behind the political and scientific lead Britain took in the world.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 18:39
I've always had a soft spot for the Welsh, but... Anglo-Saxons hands down. Paul made some excellent points about their egalitarian ideals, and someone else mentioned their influence on the language (Old English; pre-Danish, pre-Norman, latinized Germannic), literature (Beowulf), politics (Eorls, Ealdormen, Sherriffs, all originate here) and traditions. A remarkable people. When combined with the sheer ingenuity and resourcefulness of the Normans, they became a nigh unstoppable race. Their late Empire bears evidence of this fact. 
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 06:04
Well I agree about the Anglo-Saxons in general. But within that - since there was a choice - Wessex has to win since it became the dominating kingdom and the chief antagonist for the Danes,

Apart from anything else we invented cricket. (Not in post-Roman times admittedly.)

(Everybody else seems to get a chance to be nationalistic, I have to use my rare opportunity to do so.)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2007 at 21:54

Politically speaking to me the Kingdom of Wessex had been the most influential of the post-Roman British domains. Wessex had been able to expand south, north, west, and east; through its expansion it carved out the outline of modern day southern England.  The Kingdom was successful in the infighting among the various Anglo-Saxon kingdoms, and emerged as the only really sucessful kingdom in containing, and countering the Norse invasions.

Post Reply Post Reply