Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The New Middle East

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Qutuz View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Qutuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The New Middle East
    Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 17:45
Okay, so all the countries who are to be broken up will just sit back and let that happen? No, even if all of them were for the sake of argument, "artificial", they are tangible entities on the ground. Their existance, gives them a certain legitamacy, and any attempt to break them will be resisted

They are all artificial entities means that their populaces in almost every single case do not support them. They rule with an iron fist and oppress and torture their populations in shocking ways. They are only sustained by the Western (or former Soviet) aid that they receive and that will eventually dry up when the region is not so strategically important anymore. Without the money to pay their massive armies (which are actually state police forces) they will no longer be able to protect themselves against their peoples.

The Grim Reaper View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote The Grim Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 19:01

Originally posted by Qutuz

Well, we wouldn't do it on the basis of it bringing peace, we'd do it on the basis of following our religion and its commandments. The results come from Allah (the almighty) not from our efforts.

The objective of religion is to bring peace to the soul, the community, and the nation. The world has progressed since the dawn of Islam in the Arabian Peninsula, Muslims peoples no longer wish to be unified under the banner of Islam, rather, they seek nationalistic goals. Do the Kurds wish to remain a part of the Islamic Republic (of Iran)? Do they not seek independence from Turkey, Syria, Iraq, and Iran? That is but one example of a Muslim people who have been oppressed for centuries by their so-called Muslim brethren and have lost all desire to live under a unified Islamic banner.

These are in fact the same thing (known as asabiyah in Islamic texts) and they are in fact victims of unity. So as Muslims work to unify, such  weak and backward ways of thinking like nationalism and tribalism will vanish, as they did before.

You are basing this on the assumption that the majority of Muslims are religious which they are not. The majority of Muslims are nominally Muslim and their tribal, nationalistic, cultural identification precedes Islam.

Muslims lived for the past 1350 years without nationalism/tribalism.

Where did you learn this? You are purposefully viewing history through a nostalgic prism. The truth of the matter is that there has always been conflict within Islam. Sunni versus Shia, Arab versus Persian, Persian versus Turk, Turk versus Arab, Turk versus Turk, Arab versus Arab, Arab versus Berber, etc.

So this point is invalid. Also its been obvious over the past 50-80 years that the nationalist states have been in existence in the Muslim lands, that the rulers there have had to work very hard to incite the "nationalist fervour" in the people. Once their influence is gone, so too would the rotten nationalism.

Between who?

I stated some historical conflicts earlier in this post. I will quote more recent conflicts amongst Muslim peoples for you here: Arab versus Kurd, Kurd versus Turk, Tajik versus Pashtun, Pashtun versus Pakistani, Sudanese Arab versus Black African, Somali versus Somali, distrust between Gulf Arab states, etc.

Sunnah and Shi'a? When I speak about unification of the Muslims into one land, it obviously wouldn't include the Shi'a, as it didn't under the Ottoman state either. They had their own state in Persia, as they do today.

Why would it not include the Shia? Just earlier in this post, you claimed that there had never existed conflict between Muslims and that there still does not exist conflicts between true Muslims, yet, you wish to completely exclude the Shia?

Come on, these abound in the Islamic lands.

No, you are wrong. Natural resources and specifically oil, gas reserves are only plentiful in the Gulf Arab states, Iraq, Iran, Azerbaijan, Nigeria, Brunei, Kazakhstan, Libya, and Afghanistan. What of the remaining Islamic countries? What of Bangladesh, Pakistan, Indonesia, Niger, Chad, Somalia, Egypt, Morocco, Mauritania, Palestine, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, and others??? What resources do they have? They have either none or at least not a significant amount to impact their respective economies.

This is a fairly recent invention, and is mostly the work of the rulers who now dominate our scholarly insitutions (like al-azhar dominated by the egyptian government, and promoting divisive ideas). So again, invalid point. Such perceived problems would disappear with the corrupt rulers who invent them.

Invalid point. Invalid point. Invalid point.

I am sorry, but the invalid point here is the illusions which the Arab Nation and Islamic Nation is privy too. The dictators, tyrants, corrupt rulers are not the puppets of the West although some have been bought since they first came to power. The Arabs and Muslims, and no one else, no external force, is responsible for corruption, tyranny, and the current plight of the Arab and Muslim World. Instead of placing the blame on the West or foreign powers, why not just accept the fact that Islamic, and especially Arab culture is responsible for producing such an environment wherein the likes of Saddam Hussein, Muammar Al Gaddafi, Bashar Al-Assad, Hosni Mubarak, are able to rise to prominence?

Qutuz View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qutuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 00:22
The objective of religion is to bring peace to the soul, the community, and the nation

This is your definition, please don't promote it as the universal definition, as it is not.

Muslims peoples no longer wish to be unified under the banner of Islam, rather, they seek nationalistic goals

Who are you to speak for "Muslims"? I really don't see the love of nationalism you claim, especially amongst Arabs, most have come to the realisation that nationalism is empty and has no real benefit for them.

That is but one example of a Muslim people who have been oppressed for centuries by their so-called Muslim brethren and have lost all desire to live under a unified Islamic banner

The Kurds are a special case. And it's a well known fact the British are the ones who betrayed them, promising them an independant state and then abandoning them. Likewise the Soviets fuelled their nationalist tendancies for years but again left them without any substantial help. So I really don't think you can use the Kurds as an example of your claims.

You are basing this on the assumption that the majority of Muslims are religious which they are not. The majority of Muslims are nominally Muslim and their tribal, nationalistic, cultural identification precedes Islam.

How do you know this? Have you ever been to the Middle East? Or is just another one of your "observer wisdoms"?

Where did you learn this? You are purposefully viewing history through a nostalgic prism.

Can you show me one single example of a nation-state that was formed, specifically on the basis of tribalism or nationalism or ethnicity throughout the entire 1350 year of Islamic rule???

Sunni versus Shia, Arab versus Persian, Persian versus Turk, Turk versus Arab, Turk versus Turk, Arab versus Arab, Arab versus Berber, etc.

This is just nonsense. The Islamic Caliphate welded its constituent populations together better than any other nation that's ever existed. The nationalist tendancies did not begin until the very dying days of the Islamic Caliphate. Even supposed rivalries between Arabs and Persians in the early days of Islam are overplayed.

Arab versus Kurd, Kurd versus Turk, Tajik versus Pashtun, Pashtun versus Pakistani, Sudanese Arab versus Black African, Somali versus Somali, distrust between Gulf Arab states, etc

These conflicts are all POST-Caliphate conflicts, they really have no bearing on the situation. Nobody denies that post-Caliphate conflicts have occured, and this is because the governments have been pumping the people up with nationalist ideas, I mentioned this earlier.

Why would it not include the Shia? Just earlier in this post, you claimed that there had never existed conflict between Muslims and that there still does not exist conflicts between true Muslims, yet, you wish to completely exclude the Shia?

They wouldn't be excluded by force, but they've had their own seperate states for about 500 years, so I doubt it'd be that easy to reincorporate them back in. Shi'a are a very small minority of Muslims btw, so don't get too happy just yet, that some division exists.

What resources do they have? They have either none or at least not a significant amount to impact their respective economies.

United together, the Muslims have a large % of the worlds resources. Individual countries don't interest me, as i don't recognise their borders to begin with.

The dictators, tyrants, corrupt rulers are not the puppets of the West although some have been bought since they first came to power

Have you ever read a history book????

Almost every single leader of Arab country is a Neo-Colonialist puppet, fully approved and neatly placed into power by the evacuating colonialist power who preceded them. If you didn't know this, then you've been living under a rock. Every single one of them without exception has (or has had) a great relationship with the West, even if it's not always widely publicised (due to the domestic problems it could cause either side).

Saddam Hussein, Muammar Al Gaddafi, Bashar Al-Assad, Hosni Mubarak, are able to rise to prominence?

Saddam Hussein is well known as a Western puppet. They later turned nasty on him, when he became a bit of a danger to be associated with, but look at his relationship with the Western powers right up even until the mid 80's. Shall I bring some pictures for you of Saddam Rumsfeld getting chummy? I'm sure you've seen them anyway.

Bashar al-Himar (The donkey) and Qadhafi were both educated in British military insititutions (perhaps the same one I think) as was the donkey of Jordan. And Hosni is well known for his pro-American position, and the fact he's the second biggest recipient of US foriegn aid after Israel.

Like to try again?
The Grim Reaper View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote The Grim Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 15:40

This is your definition, please don't promote it as the universal definition, as it is not.

The definition you provided was your own as well or at least or the interpretation of your religion by someone other than you.

Who are you to speak for "Muslims"?

I can ask you the same question. Who are you to speak for Muslims when you claim that all 1.4 billion of them wish to be unified and live as citizens of a single nation-state?

I really don't see the love of nationalism you claim, especially amongst Arabs, most have come to the realisation that nationalism is empty and has no real benefit for them.

The Turks are nationalists. The Iranians are nationalists. The Afghans are nationalists. The Pakistanis are nationalists. The Iraqis are nationalists. The Palestinians are nationalists. The Libyans are nationalists. All the Gulf Arabs are nationalists. If these peoples were not nationalistic or did not have a history of nationalism, then why are there 19 Arab states (I am not including the non-Arabic speaking Black African states of Somalia, Djibouti, and Comoros Islands) instead of one? Why are there 57 some odd countries in the Organization of the Islamic Conference instead of one?

The Kurds are a special case.

Sounds like an excuse now that your theory has been disproved.

And it's a well known fact the British are the ones who betrayed them, promising them an independant state and then abandoning them.

Now you are again blaming foreigners for the problems in the Middle East? How unexpected.

The British did not betray anyone. The Kurds wanted a separate state, but the Turks did not want to cede their eastern territories to them, and neither did the Arabs (in Iraq and Syria) or the Iranians. I do not see any betrayal here. The Kurds are Muslims. The Turks, Syrians, Iraqis, and Iranians are Muslims. According to your logic, the Kurds should have been happy living amongst their co-religionists.

Likewise the Soviets fuelled their nationalist tendancies for years but again left them without any substantial help. So I really don't think you can use the Kurds as an example of your claims.

Oh, I think I can.

And I just did.

You do not want me using the Kurdish example because it nullifies your wishful Islamist argument of a unified Islamic state spread throughout the world even if it is carved out from non-Muslim majority lands.

How do you know this? Have you ever been to the Middle East? Or is just another one of your "observer wisdoms"?

There was a recent study done in Iran in which 88% of Iranian youth stated that they were non-religious and did not follow or seek to follow the tenets of Islam. The Bosnians, Albanians, Turks, Azerbaijanis, Central Asian Turkic Muslims, and Muslims of the North Caucasus all tend to be nominally Muslim if not outright atheist due to the influence of the former USSR.

The number of Muslim women who engage in pre-marital sex with non-Muslim men is countless; I think this would qualify them as being only nominally Muslim. The number of Muslim men who consume alcohol (and deny it in the company of other Muslims) is common as well, only a minority of Muslims fast during the month of Ramadan I can give you more examples but I am sure that you have witnessed these types of things as well.

And yes, I have traveled to Islamic countries.

Can you show me one single example of a nation-state that was formed, specifically on the basis of tribalism or nationalism or ethnicity throughout the entire 1350 year of Islamic rule???

Afghanistan was carved out of Iran by the Durrani tribe to function as a Pashtun state independent of the Persians. That is one example.

During Ottoman rule, the Albanian Muslims sought independence from the Caliphate.

Did you want me to list any more?

This is just nonsense. The Islamic Caliphate welded its constituent populations together better than any other nation that's ever existed. The nationalist tendancies did not begin until the very dying days of the Islamic Caliphate. Even supposed rivalries between Arabs and Persians in the early days of Islam are overplayed.

No, it certainly is not nonsense. There has always existed a tribal, nationalistic, and historical rivalry between various ethnic or linguistic groups in the Middle East and even amongst various Arabs themselves.

Nonsense is the nostalgia, the wishful thinking on the part of Islamists who dream of the day when the Caliphate will be restored. Do you think once this occurs that the Turks and Kurds will embrace as brothers? Will too the Arabs and Persians? The Iraqis and Kuwaitis? The Sudanese Arabs and the Black African Muslims of Darfur?

These conflicts are all POST-Caliphate conflicts, they really have no bearing on the situation. Nobody denies that post-Caliphate conflicts have occured, and this is because the governments have been pumping the people up with nationalist ideas, I mentioned this earlier.

This is Islamist propaganda. The history of Arab-Turkish, Arab-Persian, Turkish-Persian, Persian-Mughal, Afghan-Mughal, Arab-African, etc. conflict lies both prior to the advent of Islam and was very present during the time of the Caliphate.

They wouldn't be excluded by force, but they've had their own seperate states for about 500 years, so I doubt it'd be that easy to reincorporate them back in. Shi'a are a very small minority of Muslims btw, so don't get too happy just yet, that some division exists.

Seems to me that you follow the Sunni school of thought to the tee and your wish to exclude the Shia comes more from your prejudices, your rivalry, towards them than this politically correct excuse you have mustered forth.

United together, the Muslims have a large % of the worlds resources. Individual countries don't interest me, as i don't recognise their borders to begin with.

No, they do not. The Muslims are the most impoverished peoples in the world. Name one Muslim-majority country that has a viable economy independent of oil exports. Do you think the Gulf Arab states and Libya can survive once their oil fields run empty?

Have you ever read a history book????

Yes, but I have never read an Islamist-inspired history book. Have you?

Almost every single leader of Arab country is a Neo-Colonialist puppet, fully approved and neatly placed into power by the evacuating colonialist power who preceded them. If you didn't know this, then you've been living under a rock. Every single one of them without exception has (or has had) a great relationship with the West, even if it's not always widely publicised (due to the domestic problems it could cause either side).

Many countries throughout the world have been colonized, had their borders drawn, and been subjected to the rule of puppet governments. What makes the Middle East so different? Except that the Arabs are so backward that they cannot help but feel sorry for themselves for 60-plus years. Was Hong Kong not colonized? Was India not colonized? Was the entire Western Hemisphere not colonized? Why is the Middle East so different?

Saddam Hussein is well known as a Western puppet. They later turned nasty on him, when he became a bit of a danger to be associated with, but look at his relationship with the Western powers right up even until the mid 80's. Shall I bring some pictures for you of Saddam Rumsfeld getting chummy? I'm sure you've seen them anyway.

Saddam Hussein was never a puppet of the West. He was an ally. Shall I show you pictures of Madeline Albright at a dinner with Kim Jung Il? Does this mean that he is or was a puppet of America? The United States administration has also met with various former Chechen Muslim leaders, Aslan Maskadhov was invited to Washington, DC when he was the de facto president of Chechnya, he later met with Osama bin Laden in Afghanistan and received money, training, and fighters from him. Are you going to tell me that Maskadhov was an American stooge as well?

Bashar al-Himar (The donkey) and Qadhafi were both educated in British military insititutions (perhaps the same one I think) as was the donkey of Jordan. And Hosni is well known for his pro-American position, and the fact he's the second biggest recipient of US foriegn aid after Israel.

What does it matter where they were educated? If you had the means, you too would send your own children to the best schools. Al-Assad and Qadhafi are both Arab nationalists and support terrorists Islamist organizations (you can call them freedom fighters or resistance fighters but when they blow up children and civilians alike Muslim and non-Muslim they are nothing but terrorists)! If I attend American University in Cairo and come back to the States, would that make me a puppet of the Egyptians? Roflllll You have some ridiculous reasoning my friend.

Like to try again?

Your turn.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 01:47

Okay, so all the countries who are to be broken up will just sit back and let that happen? No, even if all of them were for the sake of argument, "artificial", they are tangible entities on the ground. Their existance, gives them a certain legitamacy, and any attempt to break them will be resisted

They are all artificial entities means that their populaces in almost every single case do not support them. They rule with an iron fist and oppress and torture their populations in shocking ways. They are only sustained by the Western (or former Soviet) aid that they receive and that will eventually dry up when the region is not so strategically important anymore. Without the money to pay their massive armies (which are actually state police forces) they will no longer be able to protect themselves against their peoples.

Bull **t.
Why don't you go ask one of those citizens about how badly they want there country broken up.

Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 12:36
where is kurdish Turkey?
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 14:10
TheGR
During Ottoman rule, the Albanian Muslims sought independence from the Caliphate.

Are you sure? wasn't it the Christian Albanians.

TheGR
Nonsense is the nostalgia, the wishful thinking on the part of Islamists who dream of the day when the Caliphate will be restored. Do you think once this occurs that the Turks and Kurds will embrace as brothers? Will too the Arabs and Persians? The Iraqis and Kuwaitis? The Sudanese Arabs and the Black African Muslims of Darfur?

This is way to general. There is no such thing as Iraqi's and Kuwaiti's, both are Arab, the problem in Sudan has nothing to do with religion, if they started learning about religion more deeply they'd realise the errors of their ways. Turks and Kurds live in the same street, work together, grow up together and generally don't have a problem in Turkey.

It is true that state's which have been run closer to actual Islamic principles have achieved to create a peace and harmony among the populace.

Ever since countries have strayed away from this there has been utter chaos and havoc.

The middle east hasn't had this many wars and problems since the time of the Crusades.

There has been peace and harmony when great Muslim leaders have enforced rule in close accordance with what is taught by religion. Caliph Omar, Saladdin, Suleyman the Magnificent, etc etc are prime examples of this.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 14:23
I think that's too simplistic a way of looking at things.  People living in different states have had different experiences.  Look at what happened when Egypt tried to unite with Syria in Nasser's time-- they clashed and broke apart because of intrigues, differences, etc.

Religion is a small aspect of life, culture and national experience are much more important.
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 14:31
I think a changing the bourders not only of the ME but the whole of the Muslim world would be ideal. Even in Islamic terms, thus in a Ummah Union there will ofcourse be provinces. The re-drawing of our bourders will work to our advantage instead of the current borders, which were made to fit the ideals of the west.

Examples of better borders; Ash-Sham, Al-Maghrabi, Turkistan, Al-Hijaz etc
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 17:20
Originally posted by Dan Carkner

Religion is a small aspect of life, culture and national experience are much more important.

I agree.  The instinct for Tribalism and Nationalism have been with us for tens of thousands of years.  This instinct is not going to disappear.  Neither Islam, Christianity or Buddhism has managed to erase this instinct.  In fact, with the coming economic realignment of the world, mass migration and religous tensions, nationalism could get much worse.

In my opinion, any talk of a "Global Caliphate" by large numbers of Moslems is not only based on unrealistic romanticism, but such talk can also exacerbate other issues such as the migration of Moslems to The West and both the Indian and Chinese relations with the Moslem world.

Edited by Cryptic - 13-Nov-2006 at 18:11
Qutuz View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qutuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 17:52
Dan,

I think that's too simplistic a way of looking at things.  People living in different states have had different experiences

This argument would actually go against your claims, because if we look at the last 1400 years, we'll find that for 1300 odd years they had a common experience (most of them) and only for the past 50-100 years have the nation states existed in which they've had different experiences.

Look at what happened when Egypt tried to unite with Syria in Nasser's time-- they clashed and broke apart because of intrigues, differences, etc.

Again, if we look closer, this point would also go against your claim. Nasser tried to unite the Arabs based on irreligious nationalism and he failed miserably. This only highlights the fact that Muslims must unite based on Islam, and not on Arab nationalism, or secularism or any other artificial ideology which they don't really hold in their hearts.

Religion is a small aspect of life, culture and national experience are much more important

Perhaps from the Western experience this is correct. But the Muslim experience is very different, and until Westerners recognise this fact, they'll never understand Muslims or be able to engage in a serious and beneficial dialogue with us. Religion is the central point in the lives of most Muslims, even those who have adopted secularism are still far more focused on religion than the average Westerner.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 19:59
I agree. The instinct for Tribalism and Nationalism have been with us for tens of thousands of years.

And religion hasn't? I really don't understand the importance of this sentance or what its meant to mean.

Religion has existed since humans were created, monotheism isn't new, it's existed in many societies across the world as Allah has given guidance to humanity since the beginning.

Muslims believe that Islam has been in existance since the creation of mankind because Islam is about the submission to the creater and no other idolism or deity worship.

Their is a misconception that monotheism is only a middle-eastern and relatively new concept. Many ancient religions were originally "monothiest".

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Qutuz View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qutuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 20:07
TGR,

The definition you provided was your own as well or at least or the interpretation of your religion by someone other than you

I never stated peace was the objective of religion. Islam brings peace to the soul, but it does not allow Muslims to be subjugated by their enemies, and call that peace.

I can ask you the same question. Who are you to speak for Muslims when you claim that all 1.4 billion of them wish to be unified and live as citizens of a single nation-state?

Well I'm one of those 1.4 billion for start. I'm assuming you're not, so this gives me quite a headstart over you.

The Turks are nationalists. The Iranians are nationalists. The Afghans are nationalists. The Pakistanis are nationalists. The Iraqis are nationalists. The Palestinians are nationalists. The Libyans are nationalists. All the Gulf Arabs are nationalists.

That's the biggest sentence of blanket statements I've seen in my life. Can you elaborate more on this.. do you believe 100% of those populations you mentioned are "nationalist"? 50%? 25%?

If these peoples were not nationalistic or did not have a history of nationalism, then why are there 19 Arab states

Why not ask the architects of Sykes-Picot?

Now you are again blaming foreigners for the problems in the Middle East? How unexpected

The current Middle East is a product of their design, why wouldn't we hold them accountable for the mess it's in?

There was a recent study done in Iran in which 88% of Iranian youth stated that they were non-religious

Which American think tank was the study conducted by? Even if it were the case, it wouldn't detract one iota from my ideas anyway, because I clearly mentioned Iran isn't included.

The number of Muslim women who engage in pre-marital sex with non-Muslim men is countless

Yeh you wish.

I think this would qualify them as being only nominally Muslim. The number of Muslim men who consume alcohol (and deny it in the company of other Muslims) is common as well, only a minority of Muslims fast during the month of Ramadan

Do you have some evidence for this? Or just another wild claim?

Afghanistan was carved out of Iran by the Durrani tribe to function as a Pashtun state independent of the Persians. That is one example

When was that? And who carved it out?

During Ottoman rule, the Albanian Muslims sought independence from the Caliphate

Already answered by someone else.

Did you want me to list any more?

If they're going to be as relevant as the ones you listed, don't waste your time.

Do you think once this occurs that the Turks and Kurds will embrace as brothers? Will too the Arabs and Persians? The Iraqis and Kuwaitis? The Sudanese Arabs and the Black African Muslims of Darfur?

Yes.

This is Islamist propaganda. The history of Arab-Turkish, Arab-Persian, Turkish-Persian, Persian-Mughal, Afghan-Mughal, Arab-African, etc. conflict lies both prior to the advent of Islam and was very present during the time of the Caliphate

So, as I asked, give us some examples.

No, they do not. The Muslims are the most impoverished peoples in the world. Name one Muslim-majority country that has a viable economy independent of oil exports. Do you think the Gulf Arab states and Libya can survive once their oil fields run empty?

Pakistan is quite resource rich and is independant in many aspects of its food production and weapons manufacturing. I could go through a few other countries if you like, but the fact we possess a large % of the worlds most used resource is enough in itself. Don't forget the gas rich regions of central asia.

Too bad our puppet rulers are handing all our resources over to the West, and you still insist they're not puppets.

Yes, but I have never read an Islamist-inspired history book. Have you?

Ahhh, so all Islamic history books are invalid, whilst all Western history books are valid. Nice..

Except that the Arabs are so backward that they cannot help but feel sorry for themselves for 60-plus years

Agreed.

Are you going to tell me that Maskadhov was an American stooge as well

He was a stooge yes, but he later made repentance and fought sincerely for Islam.

Al-Assad and Qadhafi are both Arab nationalists and support terrorists Islamist organizations (you can call them freedom fighters or resistance fighters but when they blow up children and civilians alike Muslim and non-Muslim they are nothing but terrorists)

Come on, these two guys are famous for slaughtering and torturing Muslims, not supporting them. You really need to do some homework.

Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 20:11
Even if a majority of Muslims were as pious and union-minded as you claim, the same problems would arise that grated between Syria and Egypt:  Who gets to be dominant?  Whose way of doing things?  etc.
Qutuz View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qutuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 21:22
Dan,

Even if a majority of Muslims were as pious and union-minded as you claim, the same problems would arise that grated between Syria and Egypt

The established history we have so far tends to indicate otherwise. 1300 odd years largely united on the basis of Islam. Compared with just 1 feeble attempt in the post-Islamic era based on nationalism and secularism.

Who gets to be dominant?

The entities I think you're proposing as vying for dominance would cease to exist, so which one would get to be dominant would not even be an issue.

Whose way of doing things?  etc

The Islamic way. Not the Syrian way, not the Egyptian way, not the <insert whoever> way, the Islamic way. Islam is the basis for unity, and it would replace all of the rotten and corrupted systems in place now, which all, without exception come from the former colonialist masters.

This is how Islam began, and it's how it will return.

It's not a matter of how, it's only a matter of when.
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 22:26
Yes, 1300 years of history in premodern times though.

By all means, I think the boundaries of the middle east & muslim worlds are artificial, but erasing difference is not the solution either.   Whether or not you admit they exist..
Qutuz View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qutuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 22:53
Yes, 1300 years of history in premodern times though.

Premodern is a term which is only really relative from the Western perspective. The term doesn't have really the same meaning in the Islamic world. Either way, it still doesn't change the fact that all throughout our history, most of our lands have been united, politically, culturally and socially.

By all means, I think the boundaries of the middle east & muslim worlds are artificial, but erasing difference is not the solution either

Why isn't it? They've been imposed upon us by outsiders, and yes a few insiders too. Why isn't reversing that disaster the solution? Of course for Westerners it isn't the solution, as it would be a giant threat to your hegemony. It doesn't surprise me you'd be arguing against it.

Whether or not you admit they exist..

Well I think anyone can see some differences exist. For instance between Morrocans and Indoesians, there's a wide gap. But that gap is made wider in an artificial way by the artificial political divisions. The difference between most Arabs is no bigger than the difference between Americans who live in different states, in many cases, probably even less.
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 01:36
I'm not against it because I am pro-Western.  I wouldn't say that I am against it or for it (this Islamic union),  since I don't think it will happen.  I just have Muslim friends from different parts of the world who resent Muslims from other parts of the world.  You might say that they are not true Muslims but they have many rational (if unfortunate) reasons for the resentment that don't just stem from European colonialism.

Qutuz View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qutuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 06:41
You might say that they are not true Muslims but they have many rational (if unfortunate) reasons for the resentment that don't just stem from European colonialism

Well no I wouldn't say they're not Muslims. There's no such thing as true Muslims and false Muslims (i guess would be the opposite.

Either you're Muslim or you're not. What I would suggest is though that they're probably not very educated Muslims.

And I've never said every single problem comes from European Colonialism. Obviously we already had problems to begin with, for European Colonialism to have been able to get in the door.
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 11:02
Oh well, if even 2 muslim countries would join together and live in peace I would think it was a good thing, perhaps as American power weakens over time there *will* be changes in the region..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>