Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest Poetesses

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest Poetesses
    Posted: 17-Aug-2004 at 14:20

I think the greatest Persian Poetess was Mahasti Ganjavi!

Mahasati was born at the end of XIth century in Ganja in Azerbaijan, received perfect education, closely acquainted with the Eastern literature and music. The most productive period of creation she spent in palace of Sultan Mahmud Seljuq and his uncle Sanjar Seljuq's palace.

She was a famous rubai writer not only in her epoch, but much more later. The love plot holds the main place in her creations. The rubais are marked out by their wordliness, humanism, epicurism and optimism. Mahasati ganjavi describes love as a fragile natural feeling which makes a man's fame higher. The poetess protested against religious prejudices, hypocricy, conservatism and protected a man's moral freedom. Her poems reflected the people's, especially women's, romantic dreams of a free and happy life.

Monument for Mahasati Ganjavi in Ganja

An turk pesar ke man nadidam sirash
That turkish boy who I couldn't see him enough

Bashad ke zebar bashad o basham zirash
I wish he lies on top of me and I find myself under him

Han ey pesareh khatib ta solh konim
O homosexual Boy, Come to make peace with each other

To ba koonash besazo man ba kirash
You can enjoy with his ass and I with his Penis

----------------------------------------

Kos chah amighi ast panahi dahadat
Vulva is similar to a deep well which you can take refuge in it

Az balesheh noghreh tekyegahi dahadat
It will give you a silver pillow for leaning on

Noh noghteg simab cho rizi dar vey
If you pour nine mercurial drops on it

Noh mah shavad, Chahardah mahi dahadat
After nine months, it will give you a cute child

vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2004 at 15:00

Ok - Tough one - there are so many that I would choose. 19th century American woman poet I would have to say Emily Dickinson - very much ahead of her time in thought and often in verse form as well.

Wild Nights - Wild Nights!   Were I with thee Wild Nights should be our luxury!

Futile - the winds - to a Heart in port - Done with the Compass - Done with the Chart!

Rowing in Eden - Ah, the Sea! Might I but moor - Tonight - in Thee!

20th century women poets in America are prolific - and I don't have a favorite yet.

In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2004 at 15:05
BTW  - I'm a bit surprised by Mahasti Ganjavi! - very progressive for the 11th cent - I'll have to look for more of her work
In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2004 at 22:20

I would agree with Emily Dickenson, also many of Sappo's(not sure of spelling) works

Master of Puppets View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Master of Puppets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 06:41

Sappho should be in the list just for being one of the first (at least in the West) poetesses, even without taking into account the beauty of her poems.
That Mahasti Ganjavi woman is actually pretty shocking, btw

Wherever I turn, there is Death.
The Epic of Gilgamesh; Tablet XI, line 245
Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 07:08

Definitely Sappho and Emily Dickenson and I'd like to add Elizabeth Barrett Browning and Maya Angelou.

I am amazed as well by Mahasti Ganjavi and am off to find out more....

I'm always amazed at what I learn from AE.

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
Rebelsoul View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Rebelsoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 05:29
Originally posted by Master of Puppets

Sappho should be in the list just for being one of the first (at least in the West) poetesses, even without taking into account the beauty of her poems.
That Mahasti Ganjavi woman is actually pretty shocking, btw

Shocking? I find her poetry fascinating, the least to say. Shows what the Islamic culture was all about before the Crusades turned them inwards...

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 15:16
the greatest poetess was Edahuanna of Sumeria, because she is the first we know of!
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2004 at 01:31

Sor Juana Ines de La Cruz

sources: http://www.writepage.com/others/sorjuana.htm

http://www.latin-american.cam.ac.uk/SorJuana/

Sor Juana Ins de la Cruz Sor Juana Ins de la Cruz (1648 - 1695)

KEY DATES (following new research by Octavio Paz):

1648: Juana Ins Ramrez born as illegitimate daughter into a poor family on the farmstead of San Miguel Nepantla;
1656: Sent to live with maternal aunt's family in Mxico (City); learnt Latin;
1664: Enters the Court (aged 16); lionized as prodigy and for her beauty;
1668: Enters Convent of San Jernimo (aged 20); wrote many poems, plays, studied philosophy, music and science;
1691: Writes famous 'Respuesta a Sor Filotea', defending right of women to study and write; comes under pressure from Ecclesiastical hierarchy to abandon her studies;
1694: Abjures under great pressure; forced to sell her books and musical and scientific instruments;
1695: Plague hits convent; Sor Juana contracts plague and dies 17th April, aged 46.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 17:01

You may forget but

Let me tell you this:

someone in some future time will think of us.

Sappho

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
 Post Reply Post Reply