Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Middle Byzantine Military (610-1204)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Middle Byzantine Military (610-1204)
    Posted: 03-Mar-2007 at 21:05
No, you are talking about some battle results, your arguments that is to say, are based on incidents.you do not calculate a lot of parameters that tοοκ part before and also at the duration of the campaigns. Parameters that judged not only the battles against the Arabs but likely many of the others that  you ascribe to the Byz.
The loses to the Arabs (Egypt, Syria) was a matter of time, since the Roman rulers were very unpopular among the population. Well ,that was known from the ancient times to the governors but progressively it get worse because of the monofysism, an heresis wich wasn't follow the orthodox christian dogma of the age...
As you know the central goverment was placed in Constantinopole, the Patriarchat also. The distance was huge , so the appointment of centrifugal tendencies was intense by the time the central administration could not intervene immediately to stop them. The habitants of Egypt and Syria did not resist they did not react massly and organised, because of the antipathy for the central administration and the disappointment for the high taxation ,which were so much intense that did not see hostily an Arabic domination.
Even the Islam-the new religion- for them was more near from orthodoxy( some dogmatic reasons had a major role for this). And the Arabs wouldn't be able to do anything by their own if they were not inspired from a new hopeful religion and a very important leader such as Muhammad who unified them. It is funny when the same people (Arabs ) were not in able to threaten even an Orthodox monastery(of those in mount Shina) if the gates were closed and the key was kept in a safe place...

That was a very quick summary of the loses background(not to mention the centuries of fighting against Sassanid empire!)

In conclusion , the byzantine victories against arabs were more than the looses , especially after the 10th century in land and of course in the sea.
Actually the Arabs became a type of military "guinea-pigs" for the Byzantines.Ok, that is exegerated but i surely put the Byzantines on the top of military power of medieval europe(middle era) and i can hardly put Franks above Bulgars but guess! I won't ! I'll put them in the same scale as the Khazars and Nubians because according to you, you've scorred the same achievements: beating the Arabs...
eventhough the two above had better fighting skills than the  cumbersome and constipated Franks of the time.

I would have to agree with all your above statements only if you were refering to the era between 12th-15th centuries ,but obviously you confused the topics...Wacko

stung View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Suspended

Quote stung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2007 at 21:09
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Originally posted by stung

The other areas faced the same arab forces as the Byzantines just with better results

Incorrect. In Spain the Visigoths faced an enemy of far smaller size, whose army had changed composition from Arab to being a mixture of Berber/Moor/Arab. The equipment, training, cohesion, numbers, lines of logistics and communication were inferior to those enjoyed by the Islamic forces operating close to home in the Middle East. You are comparing a sizable expedition to a major invasion followed by prolonged border warfare.
Thats not true,they picked up a berber along the way but it was still a strong arab army,also you didnt give an explanation for the victories of the Nubians,Dailimites and Khazars.

You fail to answer my earlier post. Take a look at it for a while. It contains evidence, citations and reasoning. Your posts contain broad generalisations without so much evidence. I am sticking by my view regarding the Arab invasion of Spain, the forces used were a fraction of the size which were sent against Byzantium. So unless you have sources to prove otherwise, my point stands.

The Khazars had the advantage of being able to retreat into sparsely populated territory, use scorched earth and conduct especially impressive maneuvers. This was because the Khazars, unlike the Byzantines, were a largely nomadic civilisation. They could retreat at will. And even so, the Khazars suffered their fair share of defeats at the hands of the Arabs.

Nubia was out of the way of the main Arab thrust for conquest. The Arabs were aiming for the rich and well populated lands of the Mediterranean, Europe and Asia. Sub Saharan Africa offered little which was attractive. And in anycase the Prophet specifically called upon Muslims to abstain from attacking the Ethiopans because of the support these people provided the Muslims in the time of the hegira.

All these nations you mentioned suffered serious defeats at the hands of the Arabs and saw a decline in their power. None of them, however, was the main object of the Arab attacks. None of them had to face even half the number of Arab soldiers that the Byzantines did. None of them either, were able to perpetuate the late antique urban culture and keep alive the fruits of civilisation so well as Byzantium did in those dark centuries. Again, you are simply making unfair comparisons.
No the arabs were met and defeated in battle by the Khazars and no scorched earth polocy was present,the only detail of the battle was that before the battle was joined formally the two sides attacked each other with catipults,once the battle was joined the arabs army was destroyed and its leader killed,the arabs made two attempts two invade Nubia but both ended in failure,at touluse,tours and river Berre the arabs used the same speedy attack and withdrawl tactics that beat the Byzantines and Persians so consistantly exept these times they fought a higher quality army than the Byzantines and were defeated thats all, many powers in history have conqered large territories but at some point they all get beat by somebody,for the Persians it was the greeks,for the arabs it was the Franks and others,and for everybody's favorite the Mongols it was the Mamelukes,face it no one can win all the timeSmile
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2007 at 21:28

The other areas faced the same arab forces as the Byzantines just with better results

Not really...Disapprove

at touluse,tours and river Berre the arabs used the same speedy attack and withdrawl tactics that beat the Byzantines and Persians

LOL Those tactics were a piece of cake for the Byz.Arabs just fought better this time and won.What does that means according to you?

so consistantly exept these times they fought a higher quality army than the Byzantines  
Disapprove................LOL

...and were defeated thats all, many powers in history have conqered large territories but at some point they all get beat by somebody,for the Persians it was the greeksEmbarrassed,for the arabs it was the Franks Confusedand others,and for everybody's favorite the Mongols it was the MamelukesSleepy,face it no one can win all the timeSmile

Face it , Franks were hardly a first class state , it was the "easy choice" to beat for the Arabs , after their crushing defeats ...But not that easy after all i have to admitApprove...

stung View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Suspended

Quote stung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2007 at 21:39
Originally posted by Athanasios

Not really...Disapprove

at touluse,tours and river Berre the arabs used the same speedy attack and withdrawl tactics that beat the Byzantines and Persians

LOL Those tactics were a piece of cake for the Byz.Arabs just fought better this time and won.What does that means according to you?

so consistantly exept these times they fought a higher quality army than the Byzantines  
Disapprove................LOL

...and were defeated thats all, many powers in history have conqered large territories but at some point they all get beat by somebody,for the Persians it was the greeksEmbarrassed,for the arabs it was the Franks Confusedand others,and for everybody's favorite the Mongols it was the MamelukesSleepy,face it no one can win all the timeSmile

Face it , Franks were hardly a first class state , it was the "easy choice" to beat for the Arabs , after their crushing defeats ...But not that easy after all i have to admitApprove...
The Franks were clearly a cut or two above the Byzantines,your just an dillusional little Byzantine fanboy holding on to his fantiseisLOL
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2007 at 23:41

The Franks were clearly a cut or two above the Byzantines,your just an dillusional little Byzantine fanboy holding on to his fantiseisClown

Blah,blah,blah   a.k.a. out of topic, out of topic, out of topic....

Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2007 at 23:59

The Franks were clearly a cut or two above the Byzantines,your just an dillusional little Byzantine fanboy holding on to his fantiseisLOL

How old are you?

I'm not as interested in this thread as I may have been back in my days of studying secular history, but I would be interested in seeing a reasoned, researched response to Constantine XI's earlier post. Simply rehashing broad generalizations over and over won't cut it, I'm afraid.

And please stay away from using phrases like "little Byzantine fanboy." Not only is it rude, it's tacky.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 04-Mar-2007 at 00:02
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2007 at 02:47

No the arabs were met and defeated in battle by the Khazars and no scorched earth polocy was present,the only detail of the battle was that before the battle was joined formally the two sides attacked each other with catipults,once the battle was joined the arabs army was destroyed and its leader killed,the arabs made two attempts two invade Nubia but both ended in failure,at touluse,tours and river Berre the arabs used the same speedy attack and withdrawl tactics that beat the Byzantines and Persians so consistantly

Now you are putting words in my mouth. I didn't say the Arabs were never defeated by the Khazars, only that the Arabs did defeat the Khazars on occasion. This is exactly the same situation with the Byzantines. I even have a link to prove it:

http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/13trib01.htm#The%20Thirteenth%20Tribe

Again your tone is proving to be one which is rather immature. You respond to reasoned and referenced statements with broad generalisations which are easily proven to be baseless. Refer to the guidelines for posting in the military forum:

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15453

3. In topics where a claim is made which is not universally accepted as fact, members who do not provide a credible source for their claim do not need to be taken seriously. This is an honour standard, not necessarily incurring a disciplinary punishment, those who fail to live up to this standard are simply looked down upon by fellow members.

4. Do not simply copy/paste information. If you do, provide your own comments or views on the post you have made. If you copy something which is not your own work and post it, reference it.

By posting in the Military Forum, members agree that they abide by these standards. Finally, I may simply request on a personal level that members do their best to keep discussions up to a high standard, make use of scholarly material and refrain from behaviour which is contrary to AE's high level of intellectual discussion. Many thanks.

Constantine XI

It is time you cleaned up your act and began posting in a manner more befitting scholarly and intellectual discussion. Sweeping bold statements jjust won't cut it here and your arguments are ruining your credibility here.
Tar Szernd View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2007 at 04:08

Incorrect. In Spain the Visigoths faced an enemy of far smaller size, whose army had changed composition from Arab to being a mixture of Berber/Moor/Arab. The equipment, training, cohesion, numbers, lines of logistics and communication were inferior to those enjoyed by the Islamic forces operating close to home in the Middle East. You are comparing a sizable expedition to a major invasion followed by prolonged border warfare.
Thats not true,they picked up a berber along the way but it was still a strong arab army,also you didnt give an explanation for the victories of the Nubians,Dailimites and Khazars.

The arabs occupied the older khazarian capitol two times. After that moved the Khazar royals to Itil. Everyone else could defeat arabs: so what is the reason why they could even beat the chinese by the Talas valey? How could they get there? 3-4000 km-s far avay from Arabia?

TSZ

TSZ
stung View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Suspended

Quote stung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2007 at 07:00
 It's not that the arabs could't beat the Khazars in pitched battles,they clearly could,it's just that unlike the Byz the opposite could and sometimes did happen as the Khazars could fight the arabs equal power,also,everything I've said is the truth people,sorry for being a little rude,but the facts don't support your argument that the Byz were strong by this period.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2007 at 08:07
Again you simply make generalisations without any supporting facts, references, citations or anything which gives credibility to your argument. Continue to make points if you wish, but you have thoroughly failed to give your arguments any weight so do not be surprised if people simply dismiss or ignore your comments in future. I, for one, have more substantial posts to give my attention to.
stung View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Suspended

Quote stung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2007 at 08:15

Again you simply make generalisations without any supporting facts, references, citations or anything which gives credibility to your argument. Continue to make points if you wish, but you have thoroughly failed to give your arguments any weight so do not be surprised if people simply dismiss or ignore your comments in future. I, for one, have more substantial posts to give my attention to.
No,your running away from an argument you lost,you were making up lies about things like the arabs having plenty of victories over the people I mentioned,when in fact they did not,maybe i should open a new topic for the more intelligent people on this forum to answar if they wish to.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2007 at 11:09
Sigh...

Tar Szernd View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2007 at 11:45

Stung, please post some of the victories agains the arabs. (except of Poitiers and the reconquista)

TSZ

Edited by Tar Szernd - 04-Mar-2007 at 11:46
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2007 at 15:47
After discussing the matter with moderators, stung has been warned and may no longer access this forum. Please continue with the discussion.
PyrrhusofEpirus View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Suspended

Quote PyrrhusofEpirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 20:55
This was not the plenipotentiary, apogee, apotheosis of the Grecian Byzantines for they were debellated and pessundated of the exarchate of Africa by the Nabadaeans on 670 A.D, the exarchate of Ravenna on 751 A.D and the catapanate of Italy on 1071 A.D. Soon after the Komnenian obsequious, morigerous hegemony, suzerainty: 1081-1180 A.D with the peregrinations, ultracrepidations and absquatulations at Levounion; 1091, Beroi: 1122, Sirmium: 1167 and Myriokephalon: 1176 A.D, there was a ditrichotomous autonomous conglomeration of autarchies: the despotate of Epirus: 1205-1471 A.D with its debellations at Ioannina: 1430, Arta: 1449, Angelkastron: 1460 and Vonitsa: 1476 A.D, the Niceans and Trebizond: 1204-1461 A.D, each inimical to any amelioration of the Diadochi/Epigoni.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 03:11
Admiral depth of language, inappropriate application of it. If only each of us could be so brilliant....
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 09:10
Can someone translate the text above?
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 09:57
Originally posted by Kapikulu

Can someone translate the text above?

I could, but I won't waste my time. This guy is a banned user who continuously posts with excessively complex language just for the sake of it.
Arm-Legionary View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Arm-Legionary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 04:07

Hi everyone I have a queation

What do you know about armenian forces in Buzantine army?

Iread that almost 30% of Buzantine army consists from armenians

I'd like to discuss this issue
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 04:37
Are you referring to the Late Period specifically, or throughout all periods?

Quick overview:
- Armenian troops recruited from Byzantine controlled Armenia
- The Armenians were encouraged to migrate throughout the empire
- From the 400's onwards the Byzantine military was composed largely of Armenians (either from origin or 'culture')
- Elite troops were selected from the Armenian ranks
- The most formidable and courageous of those would form bodyguard units, such as the guards of the emperor's palace
- Numerous, well trained and well armed too
- Played a major role in the conquests and campaigns of 800's and 900's
- Squadron of 2000 veteran Armenian cavalry were sanctioned in the Balkans, while Armenian troops were placed on the frontiers as border guards
- There were also many Armenian generals and emperors of Byzantium, like Heraclius

This is an extremely basic overview. I am not the best to answer this, someone like Constantine, Byzantine Emperor or Praetor would be adept at answering your query wholly.

Regards,

- Knights -

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>