Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Middle Byzantine Military (610-1204)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Middle Byzantine Military (610-1204)
    Posted: 01-Sep-2011 at 15:32
Originally posted by hotelsindanang

Other than pseudo-historical accounts of Byzantine expeditions across
the Don Basin, I do think there is any evidence to support actual active
warfare between the two nations. hotels in da nang here were economic conflicts that
perhaps contained small raids on the Black Sea coasts, but if there
were, medieval historians did not mention them.  Also, es_bih makes a
good point about initial skirmishes in the preceding post.Mark Whittow covers this topic in good detail.

Don't think we're not watching you Charlie. Copying another members posts and inserting a spam link is NOT ACCEPTABLE
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
hotelsindanang View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote hotelsindanang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2011 at 14:05
Other than pseudo-historical accounts of Byzantine expeditions across the Don Basin, I do think there is any evidence to support actual active warfare between the two nations. hotels in da nang here were economic conflicts that perhaps contained small raids on the Black Sea coasts, but if there were, medieval historians did not mention them.  Also, es_bih makes a good point about initial skirmishes in the preceding post.

Mark Whittow covers this topic in good detail.
hotels in da nang | danang hotels
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2011 at 22:08
"Glorious!" V. "glories"?

Sorry to nit-pick, but perhaps you meant to write;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glorious_Revolution

Don't worry, I am known to do the same!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
roldo View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote roldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2010 at 17:56
 How is this the greatist? in the 600's is when the byzantines got thrashed,it wasn't the most glories time,it was when the byzantines passed from being a world power to being a second rate power.
Brainstorm View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2009 at 13:16
Originally posted by ZOleg

What about the wars of Byzantine against xazars?

How many wars?

I ve read a mention in a chronicle about "conquest of Chazaria" during late Basil II era (976-1025) but i m not able at the moment to bring up the author and the exact quote.

I guess it refers to the coastal towns and area opposite to Crimea (Cherson) or even to the inner of Crimea.
Thats because Chazars' terittory in the early 11th cent was limited in this area and taht in the 11th-12th century these lands are shown in maps as Byzantine.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2009 at 19:14
Off the top of my head I cannot think of any.  There is of course the story of Justinian I obtaining the silk worms.  From earlier Roman times there was some contact with the Far East, but someone else will have to supply you with details.
Jubelu View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Jubelu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2009 at 06:57
I wonder are there any relations recorded from Byzantine source about a contact between this third power and the Tang Empire (the most powerful in 7-half 8th century)?
The Arabs did not do very well when they advanced into Central Asia, as their power has been checked by Tubo Empire as well as Tang. To the west, it seems Byzantine was also doing a good job.

Edited by Jubelu - 23-Jan-2009 at 07:12
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2009 at 16:15
Other than pseudo-historical accounts of Byzantine expeditions across the Don Basin, I do think there is any evidence to support actual active warfare between the two nations.  There were economic conflicts that perhaps contained small raids on the Black Sea coasts, but if there were, medieval historians did not mention them.  Also, es_bih makes a good point about initial skirmishes in the preceding post.

Mark Whittow covers this topic in good detail.  See The Making of Byzantium, 600-1200.

Edited by Ahenobarbus - 22-Jan-2009 at 16:16
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2008 at 00:30
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

How many wars?

Thanks for the question ZOleg. I moved it to the middle Byzantine thread where it properly belongs.

Honestly, I do not know the answer to this question, if in fact the Byzantines fought an actual war against the Khazars. Byzantine missionaries visited their chieftan at some point and presented Orthodox Christianity, who eventually decided to convert to Judaism.   Does anyone else have an answer?

I havent heard of a specific war with the Khazars either. Aside from the religious envoys there were diplomatic ties as well since the Khazar kingdom protected the north-eastern frontier. There may have been initial skirmishes. Afterall they did have skirmishes with the Pechenegs and all out wars until they were neautrailized and used as buffers and soldiers.
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2008 at 23:20

How many wars?

Thanks for the question ZOleg.  I moved it to the middle Byzantine thread where it properly belongs.

Honestly, I do not know the answer to this question, if in fact the Byzantines fought an actual war against the Khazars.  Byzantine missionaries visited their chieftan at some point and presented Orthodox Christianity, who eventually decided to convert to Judaism.   Does anyone else have an answer?

ZOleg View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ZOleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2008 at 04:56

How many wars?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2008 at 13:01
Battle of Sperxios 9th century Victory of General Uranos against Samuils army
creator:Akritis
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2008 at 12:54
Byzantine Atnanatoi 10th century  Tsimiskis
creator:akritis
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2008 at 19:00
I saw picture in my byzantine armies book that showed reliefs from a tenth cnetury casket on were armenian troops with cuirasses that looked similar to the old roman lorica segmenatas can anyone tell me anything about that?Smile

Thanks

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Nestorian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Nestorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2008 at 03:40
Its a late 9th century Basilikoi Anthropoi.

They are essentially the "Emperor's men" consisting of elite soldiers drawn from native or mercenary forces such as the Hetaereia (companions). Turkic warriors were fairly prominent in the 9th century so they would most likely have dominated the regiment.

As you can see, a number of Central Asian influences are fairly dominant  but still essentially "Roman".

I know head is small, will adjust later :)
Isa al-Masih, both God and Man, divine and human, flesh and spirit, saviour, servant and sovereign
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2008 at 04:33
Pretty cool I'd love to see the finished productSmile he looks a lot like a klibnaophoros doesn't he?Smile

Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2008 at 03:48
Very impressive Nestorian. I see you posses much artistic talent.

Edited by Darius of Parsa - 24-Sep-2008 at 03:48
What is the officer problem?
Nestorian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Nestorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2008 at 03:20
Work in progress.

Basilikoi Anthropoi late 9th century. consisting of select Pharganoi, Chazaroi, Alanoi and other Tourkoi Hetaereia

Isa al-Masih, both God and Man, divine and human, flesh and spirit, saviour, servant and sovereign
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2008 at 15:36
Very true; whereas there were probably close to 1,000 in the later 10th century, by the late empire their numbers would be much, much less.  There is probably no way to figure out how few they really were, unfortunately.  Byzantine Emperor knows a lot more about the late empire than I do, I'll let him come up with an answer! Smile
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2008 at 15:15
It did say he probably belonged to an elite guard unit but that doesn't sound too moch different from the early klibanophoroi. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>