Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Continued... Abolition of Ottoman Caliphate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
The Grim Reaper View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote The Grim Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Continued... Abolition of Ottoman Caliphate
    Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 16:49
Originally posted by malizai_

The Grim Reaper  Although i agree with the spirit of your post, to do away with Arabic for the Koran and prayer, adzhan  are not only unnecessary but an oversteer. You will find a Koranic translation/exegesis in almost every language concievable. To learn the literal meaning of the prayer and adzhan is not asking for your guts exactly. A turk may travel to china and know from the arabic adzhan that a prayer is going to be offered. So it has additional benefit that it adds to the unity of purpose. whereas taking it away would take away some of these additional benefits. 
Take an example of the Khutba, in non-arab countries its read in the native language, along with the Arabic formailty.

I am sorry if I insinuated that Arabic should be "done away with all together" as this was not my intent. I only meant to imply that I do not personally perceive anything wrong or even unorthodox with this practice. I was just speaking from experience because I recall hearing the prayers and they had very little if any meaning for me and I'm sure many others may have felt the same.

Edited by The Grim Reaper - 14-Nov-2006 at 16:51
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2006 at 02:05
Anyway, in this long period of absence I learned something and immediately thought of this thread - and Qutuz.
Originally posted by Qutuz

I gave you several hadith and also the statements of the Sahabah (ra) and also the statements of the Greatest Imams and Classical Scholars of this Ummah. If you reject all of those together, there's not much more I can do for you. The idea that all of them colluded to make up something that doesn't exist is just preposterous. It is you who is making up something that doesn't exist, a new modified version of Islam to suit your own needs.

Now Qutuz, I'd be interested in finding out what the great muhaddith Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal (after which the Hanbali Shariah school is named) said about the Caliph position. Because I'd quite surprised if he considered it a good thing. You see, Imam Hanbal refused to pray behind or visit the houses of his son or uncle because they worked in the government (of Caliph Mamun al Rashid). In fact the book I have here states
"Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal in the later years of his life challenged even the Caliph and his religious authority"

In fact all the 4 great Muhaddith had bad relations with Caliphs. Imam Hanifah was even poisioned (and died of it). Also according to the 4 Imams the opinion of the Sahabah is only important if there is a concensus (Ijma) between them.
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 22:24
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

"Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal in the later years of his life challenged even the Caliph and his religious authority".

To add more to what Omar said, I recall that the Caliph has no religious authority whatsoever as there is already a seperation of state and church since the earliest times of the Islamic empires. Therefore, because the Caliph lacked the religious authority, he had to imprison Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal to force him to issue the fatwa that the Quran was created by God. Had he had any religous authority, the Caliph would have not needed to do that.
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Qutuz View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qutuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2006 at 02:17
Omar,

Now Qutuz, I'd be interested in finding out what the great muhaddith Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal (after which the Hanbali Shariah school is named) said about the Caliph position.

I think I posted already some of his statements regarding the position of Khalifah/Imam/Sultan, anyway here is something for you:

Imam Ahmed (rh.a.) said:

"Al-Fitnatu Ithaa lam yakun Imaamun Yaqoomu bi amril-Muslimeen", which means,

"The Fitna (mischief and tribuulations) occurs when there is no Imaam established over the affairs of the people".

You see, Imam Hanbal refused to pray behind or visit the houses of his son or uncle because they worked in the government

Actually in the case of his son (not sure about his uncle) it was due to the fact he received gifts from the Khalifah, which Imam Ahmad (rh) considered to be invalid as they were bought with the money of the Muslim Ummah.

I think you've confused his disdain with certain individual Khulafa, with a rejection of the Khilafah system itself. This is a clear error, as Imam Ahmad (rh) merely opposed certain Khulafa due to their erroneous Islamic positions or their lack of sincerity about Islam or their excesses. Nowhere did he ever write that he rejected the concept of Khilafah.

n fact all the 4 great Muhaddith had bad relations with Caliphs.

Here are some quotations of some of the great Muhadditheen regarding the Khilafah and the position of Khaleefah.

Not sure if you included Imam an-Nawawi (rh) as one of your 4 great Muhadditheen, but he's certainly recognised as one of the greatest by the other Ulema. Btw, most of the famous Muhadditheen (like Bukhari, Muslim, Tirmidhi etc.) were not necessarily the highest of scholars in the Ummah. Perhaps you mean the 4 great Mujtahid Imams of the 4 Madhahib (Imam's Ahmad, Malik, Abu Hanifa & ash-Shafi')??

Imam an-Nawawi (rh.a.) said,

"Ijma'oo 'alaa annahu yajib 'alal-Muslimeena nasabun Khaleefah".

"(The scholars) consented that it is an obligation upon the Muslims to select a Khaleefah". (Sharhu Sahih Muslim page 205 vol 12)

And also from Imam al-Haythami (rh) another of the great classical Ulema:

Imam al-Haythami said,

"A'lamu anna Sahabata- Ridhwaan Allahu 'alayhim -Ajma'oo 'ala anna nasab al-Imaamata ba'd inqiraadhi zaman in-Naboowa waajibon bal ja'aloohu ahamu wajibaat hayth ushtaghloo bihi 'an dafani rasool illah".

"It is known that the Sahabah (r.a.h) consented that selecting the Imaam after the end of the era of Prophethood was an obligation (Wajib).  Indeed they made it (more) important than the (other) obligations whilst they were busy with it over the burial of the Prophet (saw)". (al-Haythami in Sawaa'iq ul-haraqah:17.)

And Imam al-Ghazaali (rh) undoubtedly one of the greatest Ulema of al-Andalusia:

Imaam al-Ghazali (rh.a.) when writing of the potential consequences of losing the Khilafah said,

"The judges will be suspeneded, the Wilayaat (provinces) will be nullified, ... the decrees of those in authority will not be executed and all the people will be on the verge of Haraam".  (al Iqtisaad fil Itiqaad page 240.)

And the great Imam of the Mameluk period Ibn Taymiyyah (rh) also wrote extensively on the obligation of the Khilafah:

Imam Ibn Taymiyyah (rh.a.) said,

"Yajib an yo'rafa anna wilayata amr in-naasi min a'thami waajibaat id-Deen, Bal laa qiyaamu li-Deen illa bihaa".

"It is obligatory to know that the office in charge of commanding over the people (ie: the Khilafah post) is one of the greatest obligations of the Deen.  In fact, their is no establishment of the Deen except by it....this is the opinion of the salaf, such as al-Fadl ibn 'Iyaad, Ahmed ibn Hanbal and others". (Siyaasah Shariyyah  - chapter: 'The obligation of adherence to the leadership'.)

And also from Imam al-Qurturbi:

Imam al-Qurturbi (rh.a.) said,

"The Khilafah is the pillar upon which other pillars rest".

-----
These are but a tiny fraction of the writings of the classical Ulema on the topic of Khilafah, if you'd like to learn more about the unanimous rulings of the Ulema on the issue (and indeed the unanimous opinion of the Sahabah) then I suggest you get ahold of a classical Islamic text on this issue called ahkam as-sultaniyyah, it is available in English translation also. Apart from that there are several websites devoted to this topic, which have gathered many of the Islamic evidences in the one place, a good place to start is The Khilafah Homepage. The brother who maintains this site has done a lot of work in bringing evidences together in English for people to read.

This issue is unanimous, and has been since the time of the Prophet (saw), it's only in the post-Caliphate period that some people have tried to claim otherwise, yet no evidence for such an opinion exists, that the Khilafah is not necessary.

So I propose instead to you, can you bring the ruling of one single reputable classical scholar who claims the Khilafah is not fard (obligatory)??

If not, then you should be content with what I've brought for you, and realise this is the unanimous Islamic position on this issue, and only those who seek to see this Ummah remain backwards promote otherwise in order to keep us dominated by our enemies.

Also according to the 4 Imams the opinion of the Sahabah is only important if there is a concensus (Ijma) between them

Although you've got a correct concept here, your wording is not quite correct. The word important is not the suitable word here. The opinions of the Sahabah (ra) is always important but it can only be used as a source of Shari'ah law when there is Ijma'. So if for instance no Ayaat from the Qur'an or Hadith from the prophet (saw) existed to tell us about the concept of Khilafah and its obligatoriness, then we could look to the Sahabah (ra) and see if they unanimously agreed to this thing (which they clearly did), and then we could use their actions and sayings regarding this concept to make Islamic rulings. In fact the Ijma' of the Sahabah (ra) on this issue is one of the important sources for rulings on this issue specifically. As they were the first ones to actually go through the process of having to select a head of state.

Edited by Qutuz - 27-Nov-2006 at 02:56
Qutuz View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qutuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2006 at 03:02
cok,

I recall that the Caliph has no religious authority whatsoever as there is already a seperation of state and church since the earliest times of the Islamic empires

First time I've heard this one. From where did you get this idea cok? The Khalifah definitely has religious authority. For instance, do you know about Abu Bakr (ra) declaring war on the apostates who refused to pay Zakat? Also it is the duty of the Khalifah to adopt ijtihad for state affairs like taxes, zakat, kharaj, ahl adh-dhimma, imposition of hudood etc.

Here is a hadith to highlight this fact:

Imam Tahawi narrated a Hadith from Muslim ibn Yasar that the Prophet (saw) said, The (collection of the) Zakah, the (implementation of the) Hudood the (distribution of the) spoils and the (appointment of the) Jumu.ah are for the Sultan

Therefore, because the Caliph lacked the religious authority, he had to imprison Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal to force him to issue the fatwa that the Quran was created by God

He imprisoned Imam Ahmad (rh) because he adopted a different opinion than himself, and al-Mu'tasim considered his opinion valid, and Imam Ahmad's opinion to be deviant. Also because ALL of the Ulema of the time either sided with al-Mu'tasim or else were too afraid to give their real opinion, so Imam Ahmad (rh) was isolated and ostracised for his solo opinion. Therefore it was easy to imprison and keep him from working to oppose the government position on the issue. It's nothing to do with lacking religious authority. It's a simple matter that a Khalifah can imprison those he considers are spreading deviant Islamic ideas (even though in this case he turned out to be wrong).

Edited by Qutuz - 27-Nov-2006 at 04:46
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2006 at 06:52
Originally posted by ok ge

"Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal in the later years of his life challenged even the Caliph and his religious authority".

To add more to what Omar said, I recall that the Caliph has no religious authority whatsoever as there is already a seperation of state and church since the earliest times of the Islamic empires. Therefore, because the Caliph lacked the religious authority, he had to imprison Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal to force him to issue the fatwa that the Quran was created by God. Had he had any religous authority, the Caliph would have not needed to do that.

I think what you highlight is correct but the conclusion is not a right one. The caliphs duty is an administrative one, he is to dispense with the affairs of the state. He is not above the judiciary he can not legislate unless he has the intellectual and religious authority based on his knowledge of religious sciences as well as of the relevant issues. So because he is unable to issue credible religious edicts does not deminish his 'executive' authority, which is vested in him.

Ofcourse make the wrong choice and an authoritarian theocrat or otherwise can once in office do what he likes, and force people to his arbitrary will and desire.

Edited by malizai_ - 27-Nov-2006 at 07:03
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2006 at 09:38
I think I was misunderstood here. What I am delivering is the fact that the Caliph position does not give religious authority. It gives administrative and executive authority, not a religious one. Unless it is the Mulah system or the old Pope role where the supreme theologian scholar is the assigned governer.
Qutuz, correct me if I'm wrong, but declaring war for refusing to pay Zakat is an administrative part of the caliphate. Refusing to pay the zakat to the state is like refusing to pay taxes. Hudoods are endorsed by the Caliph, not issued. The person has to face a judge (even in Islamic law) that will determine if the person has violated the law and deserve a capital punishment or not according to Shariah. Otherwise, if Caliph has that right without consultation or going through judges approval, then historical records of Caliphs mischieves in contrast to Sharia won't be available to us.

He is not above the judiciary he can not legislate unless he has the intellectual and religious authority based on his knowledge of religious sciences as well as of the relevant issues. So because he is unable to issue credible religious edicts does not deminish his 'executive' authority, which is vested in him.
Then I think we are in agreement since the religious authority I was refering to is a legislative one. Implementing religious laws issued by scholars is definitely part of the caliph job as he is required (in a general term) to administer and execute all laws of the state. However, he cannot issue religious laws or fatwas based on the privilage of being a Caliph. Can he do that if he was a scholar? sure, I have no problem if the Caliph has been acknowledged by other scholars that he has that qualification to issue fatwas. However, the seat of Caliph does not guarantee him that. Very knowledgable caliphs such as Abu Bakr and Omar and many others had the credentials to do so, but it is known to always consult. Bottom line of all of this, what sets Islam distinct and unique is the lack of centeralizing the religious authority in one person or group between the religious scholars. This for sure will include the Caliph and he cannot be an exception to the rule of no supreme religious authority in Islam.
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Qutuz View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qutuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2006 at 12:01
It appears to me the 3 of us have described almost the same thing, but just having a slightly different understanding of the terminology involved.

For me, I (mis)understood "Religious Authority" to mean that he has the authority to implement the religion. For example, Abu Bakr (ra) declaring those who refused to pay Zakat as apostates and enacting the punishment against them.

As malizai mentioned he is not above the law, and this is something truly unique to the Islamic Khilafah system, that the head of state has absolutely no immunity from the law. He is also not like a Papal figure who is infallible and able to make his own laws from his whims and desires.

And as cok mentioned, if he is a qualified scholar (mujtahid) then he is able to issue his own rulings (ahkam), but this is by virtue of him having studied and become qualified to do so, not merely because he happened to be a Khalifah.

Originally posted by cok

]Bottom line of all of this, what sets Islam distinct and unique is the lack of centeralizing the religious authority in one person or group between the religious scholars

This is true to some extent, however, the rulings that the Khalifah adopt relating to state/communal affairs are binding upon all Muslims. For instance, during Ramadan, if the Khalifah adopted the opinion of global sighting for the commencement of fasting, then it would be binding upon all Muslims to adhere to this, even if they personally adopted a different ruling in normal circumstances.

Edited by Qutuz - 27-Nov-2006 at 12:04
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2006 at 14:19
Originally posted by Cok

Therefore, because the Caliph lacked the religious authority, he had to imprison Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal to force him to issue the fatwa that the Quran was created by God. Had he had any religous authority, the Caliph would have not needed to do that.

Actually I think Ibn Hanbal was imprisioned because he wouldn't accept the mutzalite(?) beliefs that the Caliph had.

I think I posted already some of his statements regarding the position of Khalifah/Imam/Sultan, anyway here is something for you:

You posted a couple which I checked before I posted but the quotes (including the new one) are quite vauge and I don't think you can ascertain his opinion based only on these quotes.

Actually in the case of his son (not sure about his uncle) it was due to the fact he received gifts from the Khalifah, which Imam Ahmad (rh) considered to be invalid as they were bought with the money of the Muslim Ummah.

Are you certain about this? There is common traditionalist view that muslims shouldn't involve themselves in government. It is possible he is the originator or an adherant to this idea.
Imam Ahmed also rejected the post of Qazi.
Nowhere did he ever write that he rejected the concept of Khilafah.

Have you read his works? (I haven't yet, which is why I'm interested in his position)
Perhaps you mean the 4 great Mujtahid Imams of the 4 Madhahib (Imam's Ahmad, Malik, Abu Hanifa & ash-Shafi')??

I did mean Mujtahid, sorry.
Qutuz View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qutuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2006 at 17:00
Omar,

Actually I think Ibn Hanbal was imprisioned because he wouldn't accept the mutzalite(?) beliefs that the Caliph had

Yes, their primary belief being that the Qur'an is created.

You posted a couple which I checked before I posted but the quotes (including the new one) are quite vauge and I don't think you can ascertain his opinion based only on these quotes

Stating that fitnah and tribulations occur when there is no Khalifah installed is pretty clear if you ask me. Not just that, but Imam Ahmad (rh) also narrated some hadith referring to the Khilafah as well. I shall post them for you if you like.

Btw, do you have any statement, as I asked, in which Imam Ahmad (rh) gave any ruling that the Khilafah is not part of Islam and not necessary? I've read books about all 4 madhahib and all 4 of them unanimously declare it's a fard (obligation) to have a Khilafah state headed by a Khalifah/Sultan/Imam.

Are you certain about this? There is common traditionalist view that muslims shouldn't involve themselves in government.

There is? From where did you get this idea? Can you provide a single quote from any reputable classical Alim to back it up?

If this is the case, then the Prophet (saw) himself, who was head of state of the Muslims was doing something wrong? As were Abu Bakr (ra), Omar (ra), Uthman (ra), Ali (ra) and the hundreds of Sahabah (ra) who worked under them in their governments?

If Muslims were to abstain from government this would mean non-Muslims would govern us??? This is CLEARLY forbidden in the Qur'an.

Omar, It seems to me that you're just jumping from one argument or idea to another, without actually forming an opinion based on Islam. Please try to look to the islamic sources, and their explanations by the trustworthy Ulema, and then form an opinion based on Islam. Even if it differs from mine, I'm not concerned, but at least base it on Islam. None of the ideas you've brought so far have any basis in the islamic texts, all you've done is make conjectures about Imam Ahmad (rh) without any concrete evidence.

Imam Ahmed also rejected the post of Qazi

He is free to reject being appointed Qadhi if he likes, perhaps he had his reasons to. Yet nowhere did he ever state "The post of Qadhi is an invalid post", and this is the incorrect conclusion it seems you're trying to make.

Imam Abu Hanifah (rh) also rejected to be Qadhi under the Abbasieen, yet two of his greatest students, al-Qadhi Abu Yusuf and Muhammad ash-Shaybani were both appointed to, and accepted, the post of Qadhi. Abu Yusuf (who is one of the greatest Hanafi scholars ever to have lived) was actually Qadhi al-Quda' (Chief Judge). Again, Imam Abu Hanifah (rh) never gave any ruling that being a Qadhi is haraam, or that being a Khalifah is haraam, he simply refused the position himself, for whatever reasons he had.

Have you read his works? (I haven't yet, which is why I'm interested in his position)

Only the quote I gave you so far. But as I mentioned in his madhab and in all others, the organisation of the state of the Muslims (Khilafah) is considered one of the greatest obligations.

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2006 at 22:56

This is true to some extent, however, the rulings that the Khalifah adopt relating to state/communal affairs are binding upon all Muslims.
state and communal affairs are under his administrative duty as a caliph, president, or prime minister. I think we have different ideas of what a caliph can do because he is a caliph. For me to see the differences of each of us aside from learning the definition of his authority, which we did already discuss it earlier, I would like to ask the following question:
In your opinion and understanding of the Caliph's authority and duty, do you think that:
1- A Caliph has decided the Quran is created physically by God as any other creature and orders all Muslims to abide by this interpetation, as a citizen of the Caliphate state, are you required to obey? (Yes/No)
2- A Caliph decided that Muslim men marriages to non-Muslim wives is at an increasing rate, he decides that this is harming Muslim women and order that no inter-faith marriages are allowed for the next 10 years starting from this month, do you obey? (yes/no)?
3- Finally, A caliph decided that Uyghurs Ramadan system is more efficient whereas they fast 30 days of Ramadan regardless of the Eid crescent, and order all the muslim nation to follow the new system, do you obey? (yes/no)?

Actually I think Ibn Hanbal was imprisioned because he wouldn't accept the mutzalite(?) beliefs that the Caliph had. 
Yes, he was imprisoned because he refused to issue a fatwah that meets the Caliph and the Mutazellah view of the Quran creation. Imam Ibn Hanbal was advised to issue the Fatwah to ease the torture and pain on himself as in Islam, you are allowed to escape severe physical pain for pronounciation of blasphemous statements as long as you don't believe in them in your heart (Review Ammar Bin Yaser case). However Imam Ibn Hanbal refused to do so stating that people will follow his fatwas if he issued it regardless of his hidden intentions. Had the Caliph had the sufficient religious power to endorse his belief or the belief of what he sees as the right group on all Muslims, why would he need Imam Ibn Hanbal to issue that Fatwah?
D.J. Kaufman
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 00:38

Stating that fitnah and tribulations occur when there is no Khalifah installed is pretty clear if you ask me. Not just that, but Imam Ahmad (rh) also narrated some hadith referring to the Khilafah as well. I shall post them for you if you like.

You quote says Imaam (indefinte form) not Caliph. Looking at just this one quote there may be a big difference.

Btw, do you have any statement, as I asked, in which Imam Ahmad (rh) gave any ruling that the Khilafah is not part of Islam and not necessary? I've read books about all 4 madhahib and all 4 of them unanimously declare it's a fard (obligation) to have a Khilafah state headed by a Khalifah/Sultan/Imam.

I haven't read his works, I'm asking you. Can you post Imam Ahmad clearly stating that its fard?

There is? From where did you get this idea? Can you provide a single quote from any reputable classical Alim to back it up?

Well I certainly hope I can't find an Alim to back it up because as you say this belief is incorrect. Nonetheless there are people in this world you hold it.
Omar, It seems to me that you're just jumping from one argument or idea to another, without actually forming an opinion based on Islam. Please try to look to the islamic sources, and their explanations by the trustworthy Ulema, and then form an opinion based on Islam. Even if it differs from mine, I'm not concerned, but at least base it on Islam. None of the ideas you've brought so far have any basis in the islamic texts, all you've done is make conjectures about Imam Ahmad (rh) without any concrete evidence.

I'm not arguing, I'm just posting my idea to see what you can provide. Nor am I jumping around, I'm just interested in Imam Ahmads opinion. As I said in the first post "I'm interested in finding out what Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal said about the Caliph position"
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 07:03

I think I was misunderstood here. What I am delivering is the fact that the Caliph position does not give religious authority. It gives administrative and executive authority, not a religious one. Unless it is the Mulah system or the old Pope role where the supreme theologian scholar is the assigned governer.
Qutuz, correct me if I'm wrong, but declaring war for refusing to pay Zakat is an administrative part of the caliphate. Refusing to pay the zakat to the state is like refusing to pay taxes. Hudoods are endorsed by the Caliph, not issued. The person has to face a judge (even in Islamic law) that will determine if the person has violated the law and deserve a capital punishment or not according to Shariah. Otherwise, if Caliph has that right without consultation or going through judges approval, then historical records of Caliphs mischieves in contrast to Sharia won't be available to us.

He is not above the judiciary he can not legislate unless he has the intellectual and religious authority based on his knowledge of religious sciences as well as of the relevant issues. So because he is unable to issue credible religious edicts does not deminish his 'executive' authority, which is vested in him.
Then I think we are in agreement since the religious authority I was refering to is a legislative one. Implementing religious laws issued by scholars is definitely part of the caliph job as he is required (in a general term) to administer and execute all laws of the state. However, he cannot issue religious laws or fatwas based on the privilage of being a Caliph. Can he do that if he was a scholar? sure, I have no problem if the Caliph has been acknowledged by other scholars that he has that qualification to issue fatwas. However, the seat of Caliph does not guarantee him that. Very knowledgable caliphs such as Abu Bakr and Omar and many others had the credentials to do so, but it is known to always consult. Bottom line of all of this, what sets Islam distinct and unique is the lack of centeralizing the religious authority in one person or group between the religious scholars. This for sure will include the Caliph and he cannot be an exception to the rule of no supreme religious authority in Islam.

I obviously misunderstoodEmbarrassed, I am in complete agreement with the above.Smile Thxs.
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 07:28

Yes, he was imprisoned because he refused to issue a fatwah that meets the Caliph and the Mutazellah view of the Quran creation. Imam Ibn Hanbal was advised to issue the Fatwah to ease the torture and pain on himself as in Islam, you are allowed to escape severe physical pain for pronounciation of blasphemous statements as long as you don't believe in them in your heart (Review Ammar Bin Yaser case). However Imam Ibn Hanbal refused to do so stating that people will follow his fatwas if he issued it regardless of his hidden intentions. Had the Caliph had the sufficient religious power to endorse his belief or the belief of what he sees as the right group on all Muslims, why would he need Imam Ibn Hanbal to issue that Fatwah?

If i may just add to the above, IAbH allowed his imprisoned students to comply with the authorities by agreeing with them in order to save their skins. But he disallowed it for himself and a fellow Imam, who had religious authority in the land. His reasoning was that not many knew his students and while he was in prison the people would know the right stance. But if they did the same then the consequences would be far and wide, because their religious authority would be seen as an endorsement of the official decree. Accepting the post of Qadi would amount to the same.

As history goes, his companion scholar(cannot remember the name) later gave in under great duress. Having learned this IAbH was really saddened refused to meet him when freed and decreed that at his death, the scholar should not be allowed to be present at his deathbed or at the funeral. This is exactly what happened after his death and IAbH had refused to meet him at his deathbed.

Different scholars have over time differed on approach to 'assisting' the govt in religious affairs and good governance. Some decided it was best done by staying away, others by becoming confidants to the ruler or governor.
Qutuz View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qutuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 16:10
cok,

state and communal affairs are under his administrative duty as a caliph, president, or prime minister.

Just wanted to point out that when the Khilafah is established (insha'allah), we would be independant and not subservient to the West culturally and politically, so we'd no longer be using terms like president or prime minister, trying to impress them and make our system sound like theirs. We'd be proud of our own pure system of Islam and would not want to try and make it appear like the rotten Western system of democracy and republicanism and parliamentarianism.

I think we have different ideas of what a caliph can do because he is a caliph.

I really don't think our ideas are too different. But I will point out my ideas are based on the unanimous and clear rulings of the classical Ulema, like for instance Imam al-Mawardi's Ahkam as-Sultaniyah.

In your opinion and understanding of the Caliph's authority and duty, do you think that

I won't give you my opinion, as my opinion is not a scholarly one, but I will give you the opinion of the Ulema, which I have adopted.

A Caliph has decided the Quran is created physically by God as any other creature and orders all Muslims to abide by this interpetation, as a citizen of the Caliphate state, are you required to obey? (Yes/No)

As we can see from the historical event which you based this question on, this is not even an issue for the average Muslim. It is the issue of the Ulema, and even then only the highest of Ulema like Imam Ahmad (rh). It's not up to the individual Muslim to make up his own mind about such issues, as he'd not equipped with the knowledge to make his own judgements in issues of Aqeedah like this. But he should follow the most reputable scholars on it. So I would hope that had I been alive during that time I would've followed Imam Ahmad (rh).

As for the permissibility of whether the Khalifah should be able to adopt and enforce his endorsed interpretation of Aqeedah, yes he is in some issues, but in most he is not. However al-Mu'tasim unfortunately adopted and enforced the wrong understanding of Aqeedah.

A Caliph decided that Muslim men marriages to non-Muslim wives is at an increasing rate, he decides that this is harming Muslim women and order that no inter-faith marriages are allowed for the next 10 years starting from this month, do you obey? (yes/no)?

I really don't know the Islamic ruling on whether a Khalifah can adopt such a ruling. However, I do know that in the time of Omar Bin al-Khattab (ra) during a famine he once suspended the hudood for theft (this is a famous incidence), so perhaps a Khalifah is allowed to suspend rules which apply in normal situations if his ijtihad leads to him to believe it is for the welfare of the Muslim Ummah. But again, I'm not really sure about the exact ruling on this.

Finally, A caliph decided that Uyghurs Ramadan system is more efficient whereas they fast 30 days of Ramadan regardless of the Eid crescent, and order all the muslim nation to follow the new system, do you obey? (yes/no)?

Moon sighting rules, as I mentioned in a previous post are YES the responsibility of the Khalifah. The Islamic opinion he adopts in this issue is binding upon all Muslims everywhere, and they must follow him on this. However, note that the Islamic Shari'ah texts are clear on this issue, and you must fast when the moon is sighted and stop when it is sighted (or complete 30 if it's not sighted), so the Khalifah could only adopt *within* those boundaries. To say you can make it every year 30 days is not even a valid Islamic opinion to begin with.

This is one of the communal issues of the whole Muslim Ummah for which the Ulema have decreed the Khalifah is responsible.

Edited by Qutuz - 28-Nov-2006 at 17:27
Qutuz View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qutuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 18:22
Omar,

You quote says Imaam (indefinte form) not Caliph. Looking at just this one quote there may be a big difference

In the Shari'ah texts, the terms Khalifah, Sultan & Imam are used interchangeably.

Well I certainly hope I can't find an Alim to back it up because as you say this belief is incorrect. Nonetheless there are people in this world you hold it

Today in the post-Khilafah period, yes there's people who hold such an unIslamic belief. What I suggested is you therefore look to the more trustworthy classical Ulema, who for 1300 years all agreed that it's fard.

I'm just posting my idea to see what you can provide. Nor am I jumping around, I'm just interested in Imam Ahmads opinion.

I've already provided you with the rulings of several of the greatest Ulema from this Ummah. Trusted and respected classical Ulema who are agreed upon by all sides of the Islamic Ummah. Therefore I've asked you to bring just one single ruling from any reputable classical scholar to suggest the opposite. If you cannot, then it becomes clear that this is the only view in existence amongst the Islamic Ulema.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2006 at 23:46
Great Thread

i read most of the posts and hoped i was here at the begining.

anyway great discussion guys, i think we need another thread to talk about the Position of the Caliph and the Caliphate, as what the terms meant before and what they mean to us now.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345