Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Continued... Abolition of Ottoman Caliphate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Continued... Abolition of Ottoman Caliphate
    Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 20:48
Qutuz
1) The people of the cities didn't rebel, and they were generally pro-Ottoman, especially in Palestine and Syria (The lands which Kemal abandoned and fled from, instead of staying to fight). Hejaz had already been lost by the time he entered ash-Sham I think, was it not? So really all he was facing were ill equipped desert nomads, they could've easily been defeated, but Kemal did not even give it a serious try.
It depends which cities, Homms, Halab/Alleppo, Al-Qudds etc were pro-Ottoman but alot of population was rural and tribal under the command of the tribal leaders who were under the command of French and Brittish wheras city dwellers had more independance. Look what happened to Homms as a result of their pro-Ottoman stance, look at the state of it today.

He wasn't facing merely ill equipped desert nomads, Brittish troops, with their arms and finances were backing the movement as were the French. The only thing the Ottomans could have done is crush the resistance and force the area to stay under the state. However, what it would have been impractical and against the people's wishes. They didn't want to be part of the Ummah State anymore and wanted indpedant one's. Plus there would have been constant uprisings and wars and its not like the Sham province was the only area in war the entire Ottoman State was being attacked.

Remember it wasn't just the Brittish, there were the French forces and the Russians untill the revolution all which were "Super-Powers", its like fighting against three America's at once, any kind of sucess and unity is a big sucess and achievement in such a situation.

Your not just fighting against millitary might but propoganda machines, fnancial support or traitors and problem-makers and so on.

Qutuz
2) What I'm more concerned about is the impact on the Ummah today and the direction of the Ummah today. What's gone is gone, we can't change it (this goes for me as well as you). And even though the Arabs were the first to become traitors, they are also the first today to abandon their false nationalistic/secularist leaders, whilst so many Turks still cling to theirs.

Yes but why is this?

Look at Palestine, Lebanon, Iraq, the way Arab countries are treating their own people in the Middle East, their total incompetance in selling their natural resources to the West just to keep themselves in power!

Arab lands could have been the most advanced, prosperous and powerfull region today! however, these leaders who sold out the in WW1 are still selling out the region today.

Arab people have woken up to this and I hope that they can oust these regimes and help benefit the great Arab peoples because what is happening now is just "agonising" to watch, its painfull to see.

You don't understand why Turks are as you percieve them to be, they are slowly as it may seem are actually moving forward and have progressed since the 1920's. There is a strong feeling of pride that they were victorious in the war of independance and still a feeling of bitterness that they feel Arabs stabbed the muslim world in the back and this is exploited by those who want to create division between Arabs and Turks. But this is TOTALLY WRONG! many Arabs did not join the Brittish and French and for example the Algerians were always loyal and always Turks and Algerians had good relations.

In the last years, Arab-Turk relations have been really improving, I hope this continues.

Also alot of Turks have a Muslim-Turk identity, they don't reject their past, they are proud of it and see being a muslim as part of their culture/identity. Religion is not "weak" in Turkey, infact if you actually visit Turkey you will be very suprised that as a society they are religous and this isn't forced or influenced by anyone. If you drive around Turkey you'll see a couple of Mosque's in each village, people are very in-touch with their faith and have alot of respect but don't see it as conflicting with being a Turk or loving their country. There outlook on religion is that "Allah is loving", they have more Sufi outlook, they see religion as being beautiful and to do with love, respect, good deeds, morals and so on, its not based upon "Fear of Allah" and puritanical values.

Qutuz
My point was that to a Muslim who feels the Ottoman state was his state, what Kemal sold out was almost the same as what was sold out at Sevres.
So you think Sevres would have been better?

Do you like the situation in the Balkans and Caucaus? do you know 5 million muslims were slaughtered and 6 million refugees had to flee to what is today Turkey and they were involved in the indpedance war to save themselves from further destruction but this time were victorious.

Would you have liked to see a dozen states, a couple with a muslim majority maybe just over 50% in other countries the borders stragegically drawn to minimilise the population of Muslims in each state.

Its not a joke, its not even funny, for someone who talks about unity of the Ummah to agree with a treaty which would have meant the annihalation of Muslims from the Balkans to the Caucauses is pretty shocking. Turkey today is 98% muslim, at least there is hope for what you would like, if the Treaty of Sevre happened you could have said good-bye to this and had maybe 10% muslim population in the region.

What can you see that is good about Sevre? its an insult, being forced into a small land-locked area and have chains put on you by your enemies.

Go read the TUrkish National Anthem,

What madman shall put me in chains! I defy the very idea!
I'm like the roaring flood; I'll run over my embankment and overflow,
I'll tear apart mountains, exceed the offings and still gush out!

The horizons of the West may be armored with walls of steel,
But I have borders guarded by the mighty chest full of faith.
Recognize your innate strength! Never fear: how can this fiery faith ever be killed,
By that battered, single-fanged monster so-called "civilization"?

What man would not die for this heavenly piece of land?

Martyrs would gush out were one to just squeeze the soil! Martyrs!
May God take my life, my beloved and all my possessions from me if He will,
But may He not deprive me of my one true homeland for the world.

Oh glorious Allah, the sole wish of my pain-stricken heart is that,
No extrinsic hand should ever touch the bosom of my sacred temple.
These adhans, shahadahs of which are the base of my religion,
May them resound over my eternal homeland.

If you understand this, you'll start understanding their mentallity, and Mehmet Akif Ersoy was a devout Muslim and has many poems about Muslim unity.

Qutuz
(btw, this was it's name through all of the Ottoman period, not Istanbul

I thought you would have liked its name "Islambol" more, it was also used and really represents the city more.

Qutuz
When you strip those things away, you're not really left with much Islam. Do you think is just 5 pillars?

Yes, the Holy Qur'an, Sunnah and belief in Allah which is between Mumin and Allah are the essentials of Islam.

Qutuz
This is rich coming from the man who handed over half of the Islamic lands to the Kuffar so he could keep Anatolia.

Would you care to proove your ridiculous accusations, do I have to explain again that he wasn't the leader of the Ottoman State, he was not a ruler, he did not have power to make decisions, he was an Officer in the Army, go read your history.

Your attempted demonisation of the guy weakens your case.

Qutuz
 How about the Azan in Turkish etc?

The Ezan isn't mentioned in the Holy Book, how it should be read what should be said isn't mentioned either. There are some people who think that the Ezan is holy and a prayer just because its in Arabic and they can't understand it.

If its read in English, Turkish or any other languages it isn't against Islam, its just letting people understand what's being said in the call to prayer.

However, personally for sake of unity I think a uniformed version is better but you can argue for the case of it being read in two languages.

Qutuz
Or the banning of Islamic political parties???

There were no parties, the multi-party era began later and today a religous party controlls Turkey. 

Qutuz
how about the holidays?

All Islamic holidays are officially celebrated.

Osmanli
Those here that claim to love and know every detail of Mustafa Kemal, should know that the Azan (Ezan) was banned by him in 1932.

More fantasy stories, the Ezan was never banned, it was instead read in Turkish and people could actually understand what was being said.

All I have heard is "dogmatic" views, petty issues and support of rituallisation.

The sucess of the great Muslim leaders and thinkers of the past was their wonderfull examples, tolerance, open-mindedness, importance shown to the sciences, education, equality and advancement. They were role-models and exampled.

But look at what we have today, regimented, dogmatic, rituallised preaching, the beautiful religion is being pushed aside and forgotten while people are trying to focus on POLLITICAL POWER and instutionalising religion. Please read about the Catholic Church and how it was formed, reading certain people's views is earily remaniscent of Catholic dogma and I hope the Muslim world is never plunged into such a situation.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 21:05
Originally posted by OSMANLI

Not only was the Azan turned to Turkish (which is not allowed in Islam), but the public Azan (from the minarets) was also banned.

What is the point of Ezan, when people do not understand it? I think having it in Turkish would have been a good idea.   
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 23:08

What is the point of Ezan, when people do not understand it? I think having it in Turkish would have been a good idea.

Not much to understand. It basically means "prayer time boys, lets hop to it".

Besides I'm betting all the phrases except Hyat as-salat (come to prayer) and hyat al-falaa (come to sucess) are known to practically all turks anyway.
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 23:16
Excellent post Bulldog. I think a lot of people in turkey and vise versa dont understand that the ottoman state was in no position to extend help to anyone else and neither were others to it.

OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 07:06
Bulldog i actually gave dates to back what i have said. You simply replied with no backing and using the word dogmatic three times to add to your arguement.

THe Ezan not only must be in Arabic, but was actually wanted to be in Arabic by the majority of the Turks.
 So who an earth has the right to forcefully change the publics desire?

Guys you have to understand that you must look objectively to your history.
I agree that Mustafa Kemal was a great military figure, who was also a very smart man and he loved the Turkish people. There is no conflict in our views on that. The point in which we differ on is that you fail tounderstand the Mustafa Kemal was ONLY fighting for HIS dream of what a "modern" state for Turks only would look like. He misused his position to shape Turkey to his seculer liking, even though it was against the desires of the very people that he was meant to support.
Also dont forget that Mustafa Kemal was a dictator, along with the other dictators of the time. The 'maintenance of order law' gave him the power to shut down rival political parties. He used this power to the utmost of his ability, Ali Fethi Okyar a prime example of this.
Do you call this kind of authoritarian behaviour modern? And his supporters then have the nerve for calling the late Ottomans corrupt and power mad.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 08:25
This topic seems to have jumped form the abolition of the Caliphate to the virtues and criticisms of AtaTurk.

I think we could summarize quickly a few items of interest. Mainly that the ineptness of later day Caliphs led to a strong reaction by the people and opened the door for the revolutionairies.

The Caliph is not a Quranic dictate.

AtaTurk was a reformist who today is a polarizing figure.

I'll focus a bit on the latter since most of the previous issues have been discussed in detail.

Ataturk first believed in individual responsibility. He shook old establishments to the core. The windfall is still being felt today. He believed in God. He has many saying s that attest to his faith (as provided by Bulldogs quotes). He did not want his people to be taken advantage of politically or spiritually by those from afar or those within. That meant the people had to become educated. He was a strong proponent of 'Ilm", science. From the change in script to the increased attention on teachers (women especially), an illiterate nation turned into one that regularly produced doctors, scientists, lawyers, and schools of higher learning. During this time he attempted to tangle with ultra nationalistic theories. This was his experiment. Some were absurd, like the proto Turk Mu and Sun theories. Others profound. Eliminating the fez and changing the Ezan. By the way, he did change the ezan from Arabic to Turkish and it was never eliminated as some have contested. During the 1930's the ezan was spoken in an audible voice that was not to be heard beyond the confines of the mosque (meaning loudspeakers were not allowed). In hindsight we may find this strange and some even find it repulsive. Some adore his reforms. Others end their prayers by cursing the man.

The religion of Islam is not static. Reformers will come and go. Intelligence will always be the arbiter. A discerning voice of reason will always challenge traditional religious dogma and one party systems. This is not something to be offended by but something to learn from. We are our own destiny. Everyday responsible choices are made on the personal and interpersonal levels. Objective analysis will always be in fashion. Lets keep it that way.

Edited by Seko - 09-Nov-2006 at 08:28
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 09:22
Besides I'm betting all the phrases except Hyat as-salat (come to prayer) and hyat al-falaa (come to sucess) are known to practically all turks anyway.
Hehe this is most comic part of turkifying ezan, they turkified every part except Hyat as-salat (come to prayer) and hyat al-falaa (come to sucess).(At least that is what I heard)

I think aim of ezan is known by everybody, christians, jews, atheistsi. So I am sure a muslim know aim of ezan.

Also I think protecting  Ataturk(Infact he dont need protection.) should not mean protect his mistakes too..(Like, alphabet change, fes ban or turkish ezan.)

We should accept Ataturks did some mistake too. He was not god..

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 09:41
Of course he is not Mortaza. He was no prophet either. But he slammed the door on our own absurdities. By his extreme measures we are now able to appreciate our own bias and beliefs. We are no longer sheep to be intimidated by Hocas, Mullahs and the like. Nor are we susceptible to stoop to his mistakes by ignoring all forms of religion. Because of him we are encouraged to evaluate science and question religious authority. While making his reforms the one party system left little room for dissention. However we now have the ability to openly debate traditions and legislature.

Edited by Seko - 09-Nov-2006 at 09:57
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 09:57

By his extreme measures we are now able to appreciate our own bias and beliefs.

we are just under other biases and beliefs. Our beliefs and dogmas changed, but we are not.(still following another dogma.)

Infact stupidly, our people(Both religious or secular one.) jailed themself inside of Ataturk world.

Also I should add, even If there were not Ataturk, There would be secularization and democracy.

Edited by Mortaza - 09-Nov-2006 at 10:00
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 10:02
Ok. You dont like the path he provided. Yet all roads still led to Rome (or in this case Ankara).

Would there still be secularization that you seem to appreciate? I am not so sure had he not come along. Just ask yourself to trade places with a citizen of another middle eastern country to exchange your freedoms.

I also agree with you that 'stupidity' is a commodity that is hard to devalue. A good education process is always precious.

Edited by Seko - 09-Nov-2006 at 10:03
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 10:16
Ok. You dont like the path he provided. Yet all roads still led to Rome (or in this case Ankara).

I didnot? not excatly that is true. I like some of he did, and I didnot like some of he did.(Specially about nationalism.)

Would there still be secularization that you seem to appreciate? I am not so sure had he not come along.
I said before, ironically fes was forced too, ottoman were already trying to secularize and democratize(if there is such word.) to their country.

Ataturk was not a writer or politician, he was soldier. So where did he find his ideas? do you realy think, secularization or democracy(or nationalism) was alien to ottomans before Ataturk?

I also agree with you that 'stupidity' is a commodity that is hard to devalue. A good education process is always precious.
In turkey it is different, more educated, more close minded.

Just ask yourself to trade places with a citizen of another middle eastern country to exchange your freedoms.
Related to who you are. are you religious? turk? kurd? secularist? Atheist? armenian? I think all of them would have different ideas.

Realy why do you think, I care much, If I live under militaristic fasism,or mollah fasism?

And who said you, If there were not Ataturk, we would become like middle east?

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 10:26
Yes, the Ottoman tanzimat period was a step for modernity prior to Ataturk. He certainly was a politician. Maybe you forgot to read the Nutuk of 1927.

Close mindedness can lay within the individual or the group. And the way to become openminded is the same.

All of those atheists, religious minded, secularists, and ethnic peoples you mention live in a large melting pot of ideas. Its a work in progress as you know. A work nonetheless.

Edited by Seko - 09-Nov-2006 at 10:42
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 18:58
Osmanli
THe Ezan not only must be in Arabic

Why must it be in Arabic? where is this written, stop this dogma, everything can be questioned its how we gain knowledge and understanding, we shouldn't shy away from questioning, we are COMMANDED to question, seek knowledge and gain greater understanding of the world we live in.

The Ezan does not "have" to be in Arabic, however, due to it being in Arabic for the past 1000 years and it being so across the Muslim world it's logical for it to stay Arabic for reasons of continuity and unity.

However, if somebody wanted a translation or it to be read in their native language afterwards this shouldn't be percieved as a crime or a sin. If you don't agree you should explain as to why you hold your views.

Osmanli
Also dont forget that Mustafa Kemal was a dictator, along with the other dictators of the time. The 'maintenance of order law' gave him the power to shut down rival political parties. He used this power to the utmost of his ability, Ali Fethi Okyar a prime example of this.
Do you call this kind of authoritarian behaviour modern?

Are corrupt polliticians who sell the countries assets to fill their pockets "modern" behaviour?

He was a dictator, a benevolent one, how many dictator's change a law of the country not to fill their pocket but to help their country. He wanted to give all his assets and wealth to the country and people, this wasn't allowed by law, however, in parliment a law was passed for him to do this.

Your talking about a very un-stable period, anybody from the outside could finance a puppet pollitical party to cause problems and un-stablity in a country, we can even witness this today. Do the people benefit? that's another question.

He made mistakes, these should be criticised and analysed ofcourse but also the situation of that era must be understood aswell.

Osmanli
And his supporters then have the nerve for calling the late Ottomans corrupt and power mad.

Mustafa Kemal Pasha didn't "begin" this securlarisation and "modernistation" period, the Ottomans did and Kemal Pasha grew up in this environment and was educated in Ottoman institutions.

The late Ottomans had great leaders and corrupt power mad ones.

Can we compare AtaTurk with Tansu Ciller?
Can we compare Ertegrul and Osman Ghazi, Fatih Mehmeh II, Suleyman the Magnificent, Abdul Hamid Han II etc etc etc with Vaheddin?

We have to realise the difference between these leaders, they as leaders are remembered for their achievements and we would have liked their sucessors to have carry them on, however, often they cannot. The problem is we for some-reason confuse the fact that they are not always related and you can criticise a leader of a "state" without it being a slur on another more influential and successfull leader.

Mortaza
We should accept Ataturks did some mistake too. He was not god..

Exactly!

Mortaza
Also I should add, even If there were not Ataturk, There would be secularization and democracy.

That's a "what-if" scenario, you could also argue that Sevre could have been implemented if there was no AtaTurk and other revolutionaries.

Today Turkey can "elect" a religous based party because the "people" want to. If Turkey had a religous theocratic autocratic state it wouldn't have this chance, if it had a Autocratic Jacobite Secularist state it wouldn't be able to either.

The key is "balance", extreme's whatever the scenario can have nasty side-effect and cause more problems than they solve. If Turkey can work-towards a balance and harmony between Religous and Secular ideals then it will be beneficial to the country.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Qutuz View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qutuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 19:05
Look what happened to Homms as a result of their pro-Ottoman stance, look at the state of it today

So you do admit some Arabs at least didn't stab the Ottoman State in the back? So what happened to them? Did they die as martyrs? Whilst the coward Kemal ran away and abandoned them? The great military leader you speak of?

ts not based upon "Fear of Allah" and puritanical values.

The prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said: Itaq Allah haythuma kunt! (Fear Allah whereever you were!).

I'm sorry, but I prefer his words and commands over yours or Kemal's. And this is really the clear example of our disagreement over deen. You believe in a secularised and twisted version of Islam, which is completely detached from and alien to our 1400 year history (including that of the Sahabah, the best generation of human beings ever to live) and this is what you debate with as your basis. You bring ideas from your own mind and present them as Islam, but the reality is they are far removed from what Islam clearly states. On the other hand I present to you what Islam actually says, and invite you to reject your false leaders and embrace the system commanded by your creator.

So you think Sevres would have been better?

You've completely lost any credibility in this argument now. I challenge you to bring forth any quote from me where I said Sevres is better or even that it has any validity at all????

You're debating what you want to debate without even reading my words. Why I'm wasting my time with such an amateur I really don't know.

I thought you would have liked its name "Islambol" more, it was also used and really represents the city more.

Islambol is nice but it was only an affectionate nickname, not the official name of the city. The fact is the Khulafa of the Osmanlar always kept it as Qustantaniya.

Yes, the Holy Qur'an, Sunnah and belief in Allah which is between Mumin and Allah are the essentials of Islam

Islam defines 3 clear relationships.
1) That of man with his creator (the only one you seem to accept).
2) That of man with himself (perhaps you accept some of this too).
3) That of man with his fellow man.

Please go and read the Qur'an, and some of the unanimously agreed authentic books of Hadith, and you'll find that 90% of Islam's texts define the 3rd. category of relationships I mentioned above. Even if you only accepted the Qur'an alone, you'll still find the vast majority of Islam's injunctions refer to the mu'alamaat (societal transactions) and that a very small part of islam is about you and Allah alone.

So what this really means is that you reject large chunks of islam, in order to twist it to fit into your secular framework.

Would you care to proove your ridiculous accusations, do I have to explain again that he wasn't the leader of the Ottoman State, he was not a ruler, he did not have power to make decisions, he was an Officer in the Army, go read your history

You actually proved this for me above. His decision to evacuate ash-Sham was not from the government in Qustantaniya, it was from himself. He claimed he had no way to hold it, and he therefore placed the defense of Anatolia-Proper above the defense of ash-Sham. But as you admitted above many of the cities and towns of ash-Sham were supporting the Ottomans and were willing to fight for them. So instead of even attempting to fight to defend the Ottoman citizens, he chose to abandon them like the coward he was, and to hand the land of ash-Sham over to the invading kafir forces. He backstabbed the Arabs, just as some other Arabs (not the ones he backstabbed and abandoned) had backstabbed the Ottomans.

The Ezan isn't mentioned in the Holy Book, how it should be read what should be said isn't mentioned either. There are some people who think that the Ezan is holy and a prayer just because its in Arabic and they can't understand it.

The Ezan isn't in the Qur'an correct, it's from the Hadith. So I guess you don't even believe in it anyway then, so no point us arguing if it should be Turkish or Arabic, it shouldn't even be at all.. I guess. Perhaps Kemal was right to ban it then, as it's probably just something those hodcas and Mullahs have forced upon us anyway... right?

If its read in English, Turkish or any other languages it isn't against Islam, its just letting people understand what's being said in the call to prayer

You don't understand "Allah Ekbar"??? or "Ashadu an la ilaha ila'Allah"??? Come on, I'm sure every single Muslim in the world understands the Ezan. As Omar pointed out, there's probably only 1 or 2 lines you might not understand, and according to Mortaza these are the lines you kept in (is this correct or no???).

There were no parties, the multi-party era began later and today a religous party controlls Turkey

Ahh.... the lovely freedom Kemal brought to you.. he didn't even allow other parties to exist.

If you believe the party that controls Turkey today is "islamic" then I think you've got serious problems. Is this the same Tayyip Erdogan who said "I respect the hijab ban, if I goto a state function I don't let me wife come" (paraphrased)??? Yes very religious.... Well actually perhaps it is religious, if your defintion of deen is used.

All Islamic holidays are officially celebrated

I read that he replaced them with the European holidays... is this not true?
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 19:45
Qutuz
So you do admit some Arabs at least didn't stab the Ottoman State in the back? So what happened to them? Did they die as martyrs? Whilst the coward Kemal ran away and abandoned them?

No, they were in Kemal the cowards army and fighting in the Urfa, Antep, Marash provinces.

They also had to fight three Gaza wars, battle of Beerbasha and in Syria and were outnumbered heavily.

Also most important and the biggest blow to your arguments, Djamel Pasha was in charge in these wars. Mustafa Kemal Pasha took command of the army in Syria in 1917. Ottomans had lost influence in the region, Lawrence of Arabia and his cronies had been successfull. The Ottoman forces had to retreat to areas where they still had support.

The Arabs in the South of Turkey fought with the resistance forces with the other muslims.

Qutuz
The prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said: Itaq Allah haythuma kunt! (Fear Allah whereever you were!).

Do you fear your mother? or is this a fear based upon love, the fear to dissapoint, the fear to cause a problem to the mother you love so much.

Sadly, the dogmatists like to manipulate everything and create a "state of fear".

Muslims should love Allah (swt) and be devoted to him alone, so that in return he loves them. They must love Allah (swt) more than anything else, more than money, family, friends, and more than this life.

Say: If you do love Allah follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your sins for Allah is Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful.  (3:31)

On those who believe and work deeds of righteousness will (Allah) Most Gracious bestow Love.  (19:96)

Islam is not about hate, fear and ignorance.

Qutuz
Islambol is nice but it was only an affectionate nickname, not the official name of the city.

It has been used as an official name, I can post Coins to show this aswell if you wish.

Qutuz
He backstabbed the Arabs, just as some other Arabs (not the ones he backstabbed and abandoned) had backstabbed the Ottomans.
Common, what exactly was there to back-stab Arabs in the middle-East region with? they had their independant states, if you remember there were Arab revolts against the Ottomans, clearly a substantial proportion didn't want Ottoman rule and so joined the Brittish and French. Ottoman State had lost influence in the region. So what exactly was there to "back-stab", its a silly accusation.

Qutuz
So I guess you don't even believe in it anyway then, so no point us arguing if it should be Turkish or Arabic, it shouldn't even be at all.. I guess. Perhaps Kemal was right to ban it then

Ofcourse there should be Ezan as there has always been since the beatitul voice of Bilal started calling to prayer.

Kemal never banned the Ezan, this is a total lie.

The Holy Qur'an does teach us that the message of Allah should be translated into all languges so all people of the world can understand.

The Ezan isn't a part of the Qur'an, however, as I have already said, it being read in Arabic is logical for unity and continuity as any muslim can go anywhere and know the Ezan is the Ezan. If they wish to also translate the Ezan to local languae after it's read in its originaly form I don't have a problem with this either.

I wish all people's can understand Islam fully.

Qutuz
Ahh.... the lovely freedom Kemal brought to you..

Can the people of Turkey today vote in a Religous based party, yes or no? Ahh... the lovely freedom Wink 

What do you know about Tayyip Erdogan? have you met him, do you know him personally? well who are you to comment on how religous he is or wether he's a good or bad muslim. He is a devout muslim, regarding him personally only Allah knows.

And Islamic holidays are national holiday's in Turkey.

Albert Pine

Qutuz View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qutuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 20:33
No, they were in Kemal the cowards army and fighting in the Urfa, Antep, Marash provinces

Yeh, fighting for the sake of Allah (swt) wherever they were, not only to defend Anatolia or any other future nationalist entity. They were fighting for the Ottoman Caliphate, too bad their commander was not.

Also most important and the biggest blow to your arguments, Djamel Pasha was in charge in these wars. Mustafa Kemal Pasha took command of the army in Syria in 1917

And not long after he took command, he withdraw the army. So my argument stands.

Do you fear your mother? or is this a fear based upon love, the fear to dissapoint, the fear to cause a problem to the mother you love so much

Ok, i will leave the hadith from this particular point and just bring the Qur'an alone to show how unIslamic your claims are, and that they completely contradict what the Qur'an says. Which is this:

O Children of Israel! Remember My favour wherewith I favoured you, and fulfil your (part of the) covenant, I shall fulfil My (part of the) covenant, and fear Me.  (  سورة البقرة  , Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #40)

And We made it an example to their own and to succeeding generations, and an admonition to the Allah-fearing.  (  سورة البقرة  , Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #66)

Whencesoever thou comest forth turn thy face toward the Inviolable Place of Worship; and wheresoever ye may be (O Muslims) turn your faces toward it (when ye pray) so that men may have no argument against you, save such of them as do injustice - fear them not, but fear Me! - and so that I may complete My grace upon you, and that ye may be guided(  سورة البقرة  , Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #150)

Shall I continue??? My search of the Qur'an for the word "fear" brought up over 18 pages worth, this is only half of one page. If you like I can continue? Or you can return back to the book of allah (swt) yourself and begin to understand Islam in its entirety, not just the limited subset of ideas Kemalism permits you to follow.

Also note in most of these verses, Allah (swt) uses the command form of the word "fear" and in some cases the word is actually "irhabu" which literally means "be terrified" of me (the word for "terrorist" in Arabic comes from this word also "irhabi"). Your mind has been infected with unislamic ideas about Allah (swt) and religion which paint god-fearing-ness as something negative, when in fact it is a beautiful example of a pure heart which fears nothing but it's creator, and modifies all of it's desires to be in accordance with him, this is the most positive form of belief there is.

It has been used as an official name, I can post Coins to show this aswell if you wish

Please do, perhaps you can start a new thread about Ottoman artefacts, I have a few of them myself. I have coins from the Sultanate of Abdul Hamid II (rh) and they still say Qustantaniya.

Ofcourse there should be Ezan as there has always been since the beatitul voice of Bilal started calling to prayer

How do you know he ever called the Ezan? How do you know Bilal (ra) even existed? He's not mentioned in the Qur'an.... so perhaps the Hodcas just invented him to stop you thinking freely.

Maybe they invented him, to prevent you from thinking freely about putting pianos in mosques instead of an Ezan :)

The Holy Qur'an does teach us that the message of Allah should be translated into all languges so all people of the world can understand

Yes, the message of Islam most definitely should. But things like the Prayer and Ezan should not. Do you support also praying in Turkish too?

I wish all people's can understand Islam fully

I think you should take your own advice. Because it seems you just pick and choose suitable verses from the Qur'an to suit your agenda, but you reject the overwhelming majority of verses which state something more.

Can the people of Turkey today vote in a Religous based party, yes or no?

It's a well known fact that Erdogan and those before him who claimed to be "Islamic leaning" had to modify themselves heavily before the military would ever allow them in office. Also Erdogan at first wasn't even allowed to take office, as he'd been convicted of reading an Islamic poem one time (love that freedom). He also had denounce the idea of repelling the Hijab ban law (another fine example of secular-Turkish freedoms).

Lastly I want to leave you with this verse from Surah al-Baqarah:

"What, do you believe in part of the Book, and disbelieve in part? What shall be the recompense of those of you who do that, but degradation in the present life, and on the Day of Resurrection to be returned unto the most terrible of chastisement?"

The Grim Reaper View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote The Grim Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 20:47

I'm of the belief that it is perfectly all right for Islamic prayer and other religious services to be performed in the native languages of various Muslim peoples who are non-Arabs. One of the reasons I feel that the Arabs tend to be more religious than other Muslim peoples is because they can actually understand what is written in the Koran. I feel it that other Muslim communities would benefit from having a better understanding of their religion instead of just going to the mosque or hearing the call to prayer but not being able to fully understand or realize the meaning of it.

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 03:28
He was a dictator, a benevolent one, how many dictator's change a law of the country not to fill their pocket but to help their country. He wanted to give all his assets and wealth to the country and people, this wasn't allowed by law, however, in parliment a law was passed for him to do this.

He have not any child. Also should add, Ataturk benefitted Turkey but also Turkey benefitted Ataturk. how did he buy Ataturk Orman iftligi?

That's a "what-if" scenario, you could also argue that Sevre could have been implemented if there was no AtaTurk and other revolutionaries.

That is excatly why I respect and love him much. He protected our lands.(I should add, he is not only protector. He fought against greeks, other parts of Turkey were protected by others.) But well, greeks were most powerful enemy.

Can the people of Turkey today vote in a Religous based party, yes or no? Ahh... the lovely freedom Wink 

Reason is absolutely not Ataturk or İnonu. We should than Russia for becoming danger to Turkey.
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 03:56
Originally posted by The Grim Reaper

One of the reasons I feel that the Arabs tend to be more religious than other Muslim peoples is because they can actually understand what is written in the Koran.

Actually I know that in Iraq before the invasion (especially 70's and 80's), a Kurd leaving to Baghdad will depart with the following phrase "Keep an eye on your faith". Going to Baghdad (an Arab city) meant going to a totally different place that have less conservative religious values and restrictions. Mini-skirts, music, dancing, communist ideas, bars all existed in Baghdad and a person from a conservative area will be reminded to keep his values when he goes to Baghdad, the sin city of Iraq despite it is an Arab city no doubt.
Also, do you think Pakistanis are less conservative to Syrians or Lebanese?
I think understading Quran is different to applying Quran in life. Arabs might have the advantage of easier path in learning the meanings of Quran (not totally smooth since it is written in traditional classical Arabic), however, non-Arab scholars (most famous religious scholars were non-Arabs) come in to fullfill that disadvantage in many non-Arab countries.

Edited by ok ge - 10-Nov-2006 at 06:34
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 04:27
Originally posted by Qutuz

His decision to evacuate ash-Sham was not from the government in Qustantaniya, it was from himself. He claimed he had no way to hold it, and he therefore placed the defense of Anatolia-Proper above the defense of ash-Sham. But as you admitted above many of the cities and towns of ash-Sham were supporting the Ottomans and were willing to fight for them. So instead of even attempting to fight to defend the Ottoman citizens, he chose to abandon them like the coward he was, and to hand the land of ash-Sham over to the invading kafir forces. He backstabbed the Arabs, just as some other Arabs (not the ones he backstabbed and abandoned) had backstabbed the Ottomans.

If he claimed he had no way to hold it, he probably had no way to hold it. Thats not a decision that we as arm-chair generals should dispute. If he fought a futile battle to protect a region he couldn't, he would be wasting his forces.
including that of the Sahabah, the best generation of human beings ever to live

The Sahabah fought a bloody civil war between themselves.

Originally posted by Bulldog

Do you fear your mother? or is this a fear based upon love, the fear to dissapoint, the fear to cause a problem to the mother you love so much
Ok, i will leave the hadith from this particular point and just bring the Qur'an alone to show how unIslamic your claims are, and that they completely contradict what the Qur'an says. Which is this

Guys please, thats like blind men feeling an elephant, one man touches the ear and says 'its a large flappy creature' the other touches the leg and says 'nay its a strong tree like trunk'. Clearly its both. Fear and love, both from the other. Two sides to the same coin.
Originally posted by Cok

Actually I know that in Iraq before the invasion (especially 70's and 80's), a Kurd leaving to Baghdad will depart with the following phrase "Keep an eye on your faith". Going to Baghdad (an Arab city) meant going to a totally different place that have less conservative religious values and restrictions. Mini-skirts, music, dancing, communist ideas, bars all existed in Baghdad and a person from a conservative area will be reminded to keep his values when he goes to Baghdad, the sin city of Iraq despite it is an Arab city no doubt.

Aye, this is what my Iraqi aunt said too.
I don't think Arabs are more relgious than anybody else, people just think they are. Its like the famous race, the Indonesians look at the Arabs & Pakis and think they are really religous and try to catch up. The Arabs and Pakis look at the Indonesians playing catch up and think that they are really religous and in turn try to catch up to the indonesians

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 10-Nov-2006 at 04:28
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>